X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superconferences & Realignment

Per Orangebloods

Orangebloods.com - Sources say OU board ready to apply to Pac-12

Wow that is going to be a tough division to play.
    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Shocking news...didn't see this coming

Comment

Texas independent?

Comment

No announcement yet, but it appears so. This might shut up Baylor about the A&M move too.

Per article:

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Comment

Then Baylor will probably try the Sec

Comment

Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
              Then Baylor will probably try the Sec
              No chance. ACC teams & other Big 12 teams ahead of them in the pecking order.

Comment

Why do you think that?

Comment

Baylor is only 15k students.

Texas A&M gets the SEC into Texas.

Texas Tech is a better team.

Texas is who they're gunning for.

Clemson would be high on the list.

Florida State? Miami?

Baylor would fall at #7 or 8 on the list.

Comment

Texas Tech, WVU and Clemson all seem likely to the SEC

Comment

Originally posted by TerryTate View Post

Florida State? Miami?

Miami would be a good fit just to see them get smacked in the face every weekend would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryTate View Post

Florida State? Miami?

The reasons above and the actions they want to take in the courtroom are not that attractive to future conferences. I'd even put them at lower than 7th or 8th on the SEC's wishlist for a 14th team. Now they are preet good.decent team, but they are arguably only the 4th or 5th (maybe worse?) best program in Texas alone.

Hate all of the super conference talk but with the SEC going to 13 (well I guess it is technically still up in limbo), aka needing a 14th member, it is kind of inevitable.

Comment

And with that... The landscape of college football will start to change forever.

Comment

Oklahoma is probably the first of many moves that will be made soon.

Comment

Does Oklahoma own a team jet? Because they're going to be racking up a lot of frequent flier miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                Does Oklahoma own a team jet? Because they're going to be racking up a lot of frequent flier miles.
                                About half as much as TCU will.

Comment

buckle up ND nation, its gunna be a bumpy ride and theres no telling where we will land in all this. although if i had to pick id say big ten, half our rivals are already
                                  there
                                  "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by Rees's Pieces View Post
                                    buckle up ND nation, its gunna be a bumpy ride and theres no telling where we will land in all this. although if i had to pick id say big ten, half our rivals are already
                                    there
                                    I would agree with you on this. Not to mention with the contract will NBC the big ten would love that.

Comment

Superconferences & Realignment

So it's looking like the Superconferences just might become a reality, in the not so distant future. I hate the idea, because I think that these Superconferences will become bigger than the NCAA, itself. I think that they will eventually become their own Division, within the NCAA. Kind of like a D-IA Heavy, aka FMS (Football Money Subdivision). At that point, based on where the groundswell seems to be heading, I think these Superconferences will abandon all pretenses about "student athletes", and will completely disregard academics, amateurism, etc. IF that were to happen, how would you feel if ND decided to stay in the next division down, and stay true to their commitment to academics? On one hand, we could probably dominate a division like that, and still be able to send kids to the NFL. On the other hand, we would not be playing the "big dogs". Which would you be more willing to give up?

Comment

IF they go to supre conferences and we don't join could you imagine that the bashing we would get. YOu think teams bust on us now just wait till that happens. I don't think it will be good for us. Starting with the NBC contract they would probably throw it out the window considering we are nolonger playing top teams. You won't get the top recruits. These kids now a days want to be on tv and thats all there is to it.

Comment

You won't get the top recruits. These kids now a days want to be on tv and thats all there is to it.
                                          Kids want to be on TV so that they get noticed by NFL scouts. If ND could still get kids into the NFL, then that would be a moot point.

I'm not sure exactly what NBC would do. There's bound to still be some good teams out there, after the Superconferences. The academies are not going to get invited. TCU may, or may not, have a seat at the table. And, really, it's not going to matter if they play top teams, as long as the matchups have interest. Would you stop watching ND, if this happened? I wouldn't. As long as the ratings are there, NBC isn't going to care if we are playing Western Northern Kentucky Junior College every week.

Comment

Originally posted by kmoose View Post
                                            Kids want to be on TV so that they get noticed by NFL scouts. If ND could still get kids into the NFL, then that would be a moot point.

I'm not sure exactly what NBC would do. There's bound to still be some good teams out there, after the Superconferences. The academies are not going to get invited. TCU may, or may not, have a seat at the table. And, really, it's not going to matter if they play top teams, as long as the matchups have interest. Would you stop watching ND, if this happened? I wouldn't. As long as the ratings are there, NBC isn't going to care if we are playing Western Northern Kentucky Junior College every week.
                                            I would still watch the games. The big east would grow into one of the super conferences so they would be of the market. Nbc will care the ratings will drop. Alot of people would quit watching that aren't Norte dame fans to watch ESPN,ABC,or CBS. If you could watch Notre Dame Vs. Delaware or Oklahoma Vs USC. COme on now i know you are very smart poster and fan which would you watch if you aren't a ND fan. Texas will join a conference its just a matter of who whats us more.

Comment

somewhat OT, but while we're talking about conferences, wouldn't it be nice to be in one right now? at 0-2 without a conference we have been virtually been written off from BCS contention, even if we run the table. But if we were in a conference, we'd still have the entire conference schedule to potentially run the table, win the conference, and go to a BCS bowl. Not saying I advocate joining a conference, just making a point.

Ok, back to the conversation.

Comment

I would still watch the games. The big east would grow into one of the super conferences so they would be of the market. Nbc will care the ratings will drop. Alot of people would quit watching that aren't Norte dame fans to watch ESPN,ABC,or CBS. If you could watch Notre Dame Vs. Delaware or Oklahoma Vs USC. COme on now i know you are very smart poster and fan which would you watch if you aren't a ND fan. Texas will join a conference its just a matter of who whats us more.
                                                Would you rather watch Vanderbilt vs. Illinois, or ND vs. TCU? And it might be as simple as ND getting creative with the scheduling. Starting at odd times, or playing a few Friday night games? I'm honestly not sure which way I would rather ND go, IF this came up. But I do know that I would be disappointed, if ND caved in and stopped requiring that football players be students first.

Comment

sorry, but if it goes tht way, ND and Stanford would both join a supercomference. too much money to leave on the table, even for ND.
                                                  "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by Rees's Pieces View Post
                                                    sorry, but if it goes tht way, ND and Stanford would both join a supercomference. too much money to leave on the table, even for ND.
                                                    THE ticket^

Comment

Originally posted by HereComeTheIrish View Post
                                                      And with that... The landscape of college football will start to change forever.

And I don't like it. I know change is inevitable but I'd like to believe that there are other ways to get to a playoff (or what they really want, more $$$$$$$$) than creating super conferences with little to no regard for tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus View Post
                                                        And I don't like it. I know change is inevitable but I'd like to believe that there are other ways to get to a playoff (or what they really want, more $$$$$$$$) than creating super conferences with little to no regard for tradition.
                                                        Et tu, Brute?

Comment

I am against super conference for several reasons.

1. We will see more head coach firings. It's harder to go undefeated in a super conference. This will increase more stressful for head coach to do a better job. A lot of competition going on.

2. It's silly for any college to think about leaving their conference to join another conference. See Texas A&M. They will have to pay at least several million of dollars for buyout if they want out. Last time I checked, many college and universities are cutting down their budget for academic programs so it doesn't make sense to pay millions of dollars just because Texas A&M want to move to SEC for a change. Try to stay in a conference and save that money for another needs that's important to school. Many people got laid off so they may not able to pay for their kids to go to college. Million of dollars will help them to go to college and pursue their dreams.

3. Every team has to be nervous on who will join in their conference. For example, Nebraska joined in a Big Ten conference and Northwestern has to face them. Northwestern won an average of 7 to 8 wins in a season in the last 10 years. Now they are playing Nebraska. Do you think they have a good shot of beating Nebraska? Everyone would be laughing if we think Northwestern has a shot. No chance for them. Expect Northwestern to lose this one so their wins in a season will drop one game. Is that fair? This is why I am against super conference. It kills several teams of having a chance to win more games than lose more games.

I certainly hope Notre Dame won't join in a conference. I like their future schedule and I would be disappointed if they decide to change the direction in the football program..
                                                          Last edited by IrishBoy; 09-12-2011, 10:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Texas and ND about to team up.

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                                                              yessir...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishBoy View Post
                                                                I am against super conference for several reasons.

1. We will see more head coach firings. It's harder to go undefeated in a super conference. This will increase more stressful for head coach to do a better job. A lot of competition going on.

2. It's silly for any college to think about leaving their conference to join another conference. See Texas A&M. They will have to pay at least several million of dollars for buyout if they want out. Last time I checked, many college and universities are cutting down their budget for academic programs so it doesn't make sense to pay millions of dollars just because Texas A&M want to move to SEC for a change. Try to stay in a conference and save that money for another needs that's important to school. Many people got laid off so they may not able to pay for their kids to go to college. Million of dollars will help them to go to college and pursue their dreams.

3. Every team has to be nervous on who will join in their conference. For example, Nebraska joined in a Big Ten conference and Northwestern has to face them. Northwestern won an average of 7 to 8 wins in a season in the last 10 years. Now they are playing Nebraska. Do you think they have a good shot of beating Nebraska? Everyone would be laughing if we think Northwestern has a shot. No chance for them. Expect Northwestern to lose this one so their wins in a season will drop one game. Is that fair? This is why I am against super conference. It kills several teams of having a chance to win more games than lose more games.

I certainly hope Notre Dame won't join in a conference. I like their future schedule and I would be disappointed if they decide to change the direction in the football program..
                                                                1. Yes i could agree with that

2.I agree with the with the buyout as well. ACC is looking to rasie their buyout to a large amount to force schools to stay. This was a dumb move for Texas A&M they realyy can't compete in the Big 12 so idoubt they will compete in the SEC.

3. I disagree with this statement. That means Northwestern will have to go out and recruit more and get better players into the program.

4. Notre Dame will have no choice but to join a conference. If you aren't party of one of these Conferences you will never get the shot to play for the Nation Championship. The way it is shaping up you will have The SEC,BIG TEN, BIG EAST,PAC-12. I could see North Carolina leaving the ACC to go to the SEC as well.

Comment

Tag team!

Comment

what are the chances we see a lot of these teams being left behind just go independent?

if Texas joins ND in independence, the independents would have to be respected among the new landscape of cfb, no?

and it could be possible that the rest of the big 12 and possibly boise & air force would make the jump to independence, giving the schools a pretty decent lot of teams to play against.

IA Independents:
                                                                    ND
                                                                    Texas
                                                                    BYU
                                                                    Boise st
                                                                    Texas tech
                                                                    Baylor
                                                                    Iowa state
                                                                    kansas
                                                                    kstate
                                                                    Air Force
                                                                    Navy
                                                                    Army

maybe independence is still possible in a super conference format.

Comment

Superconferences & Realignment

Since there are going to be multiple posts regarding realignment, I thought we'd open a thread for it.

Post your proposed superconferences and sentiments here

Comment

Originally posted by mick2 View Post
                                                                        what are the chances we see a lot of these teams being left behind just go independent?

if Texas joins ND in independence, the independents would have to be respected among the new landscape of cfb, no?

and it could be possible that the rest of the big 12 and possibly boise & air force would make the jump to independence, giving the schools a pretty decent lot of teams to play against.

IA Independents:
                                                                        ND
                                                                        Texas
                                                                        BYU
                                                                        Boise st
                                                                        Texas tech
                                                                        Baylor
                                                                        Iowa state
                                                                        kansas
                                                                        kstate
                                                                        Air Force
                                                                        Navy
                                                                        Army

I have a feeling that if the above were to happen, it would turn into a de facto conference.

Comment

Here be dragons.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                                                            I have a feeling that if the above were to happen, it would turn into a de facto conference.
                                                                            de facto, but not a real conference.

if ND can hang on to its current rivals in conferences (basically um,sc,purdue maybe bc/msu) we could have an annual game vs Texas and pretty good competition rotating yearly between boise and byu air force, obviously keep the navy game and sprinkle in some others from whoever is left with a spot to play.

maybe houston would join the mix, ucf, etc.

could be a pretty intriguing sitch.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by mick2 View Post

IA Independents:
                                                                              ND
                                                                              Texas
                                                                              BYU
                                                                              Boise st
                                                                              Texas tech
                                                                              Baylor
                                                                              Iowa state
                                                                              kansas
                                                                              kstate
                                                                              Air Force
                                                                              Navy
                                                                              Army

The problem with this scenario is that, of the above teams, probably only Texas, ND, and the Service Academies can afford, financially, to be Independent.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                The problem with this scenario is that, of the above teams, probably only Texas, ND, and the Service Academies can afford, financially, to be Independent.
                                                                                didnt think about that.

its going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  And BYU obviously also

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    What about the impact on all sports, not just football? Conference affiliation is pretty important for every other sport.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Football is by far the largest money driver for schools.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        SEC schools (Florida, SC, Georgia) have already stated that they do not want to expand in states where there is already an SEC school. No FSU, Miami, Clemson or GT in the SEC. WVU, VATECH, UNC are more likely.

WVU doesn't like the move since it would make them a blue and gold miss st. They might not have a choice.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Because I think Kelly is very close to getting this team very good and very competitive on a national scale again this 'What If' is the real issue hanging out there. More to the point I think all the anti Notre Dame chatter and jealousy is the direct result of the national icon not having to bow to a conference. Notre Dame when on a roll is bigger than any conference in America. That is not a pipe dream statement that is a fact. When Notre Dame is playing like they did under Holtz/Ara/Devine the nation gives them more attention than any damn conference. Say what you will because obviously this team is no where near that right now but the powers at be in the college football 'INDUSTRY' do not want success from this program because they understand that if there is success Notre Dame does not need a conference. BUT-its like being caught in a revolving door-they are not playing well now so bash'em,screw 'em whenever you can,beat them down and they will have to bow to the industry. If this coach can be allowed to put this program back on track by getting the guys in here to perform to a standard that was seen in the past Notre Dame will never need a conference and it may just save college football. That gentlemen is why the media/other fan bases/etc bang on Notre Dame. A mini run like they had at the end of last year had the nation waiting for the return of long dormant national sports icon. Dont be fooled by what you hear and read by the sports media they need Notre Dame in a conference for one reason only-controll over Notre Dame.
                                                                                          Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I'd love to see someone like Va Tech in the SEC. I dont think UNC would leave the ACC, nor can the ACC afford to lose them. Basketball is the driving force in the ACC and that's because of Duke-UNC. you lose half of that, and the conference falls apart

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              To create another super conference The sec and the big east are going to steal fron the ACC.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Think they talk more with the Big 10 and dictate our terms? Seems logical.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  You either fall in one or 2 categories.

#1 You enjoy classic bowl matchups and couldn't care less about a true NC.

#2 You care about a true NC.

My dream scenario is that the Superconferences tell the NCAA to go pound salt and make up their own regulatory body with their own officials. Frankly I want to see the true NC, with a playoff. Super conferences are the first step for this to happen.

Sorry Mr. Tate I know you made another thread, please move there..

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    So it's looking like the Superconferences just might become a reality, in the not so distant future. I hate the idea, because I think that these Superconferences will become bigger than the NCAA, itself. I think that they will eventually become their own Division, within the NCAA. Kind of like a D-IA Heavy, aka FMS (Football Money Subdivision). At that point, based on where the groundswell seems to be heading, I think these Superconferences will abandon all pretenses about "student athletes", and will completely disregard academics, amateurism, etc. IF that were to happen, how would you feel if ND decided to stay in the next division down, and stay true to their commitment to academics? On one hand, we could probably dominate a division like that, and still be able to send kids to the NFL. On the other hand, we would not be playing the "big dogs". Which would you be more willing to give up?
                                                                                                    I'm not sure that would necessarily happen. The NCAA has done such a poor job of enforcing its rules because they simply weren't intended to regulate such a large and influential industry.

If we end up with 4 superconferences, I could easily see the football powers opting out of the NCAA, writing their own rules, and creating enforcement mechanisms that actually have some teeth.

How committed would superconferences be to maintaining the student athlete ideal? I don't know. The schools know that their programs are only profitable because of their association with the school, though; so I doubt we'll ever see a complete move away from amateurism.

It doesn't have to be black and white. The superconferences could simply allow the players to take whatever endorsement money they're capable of earning as long as it's reported to the school, etc. I don't think opting out of the NCAA necessarily means semi-pro football is around the corner.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X