Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider Saturdays loss an upset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you consider Saturdays loss an upset?

I wanted to know the perception of USF coming into the game. Did you expect to walk all over us?

Yes, it was an upset.

I'm not sure if we expected to walk all over you, but no one expected to see the sloppy play that we saw.

No offense, but the talk isn't really, "How did USF beat us?" but rather "How did we beat ourselves?"
    "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
      Yes, it was an upset.

I'm not sure if we expected to walk all over you, but no one expected to see the sloppy play that we saw.
      +1
      Admit it. You looked at the avatar first.

Comment

Yes it's an upset. In my opinion we did walk all over you for the first 95 yards of the field. Thing is the last 5 yards were the most important and we sucked once we got there.

Comment

You have to call it an upset simply because ND was #16 and USF was unranked. If you read the numerous threads on here leading up to the game, you will see people here had alot of respect for the Bulls going into the game, and not many people were taking them lightly. We all know what Skip Holtz is capable of, and I wish you guys a good rest of the season.

Comment

Saturday was an upset. I thought ND would win 24-17. I never thought we would walk over yall for one second. I knew it would be a tough game, but one we should have won.

Comment

They weren't really that good in my opinion. We beat ourselves otherwise we would have walked all over them. They had 1 drive. Thats it.
              When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

No question it was an upset. I mean when the Florida paper reads "Stunner in South Bend" you know it. They didn't even expect them to win and went as far to call it a stunner.

Comment

I think it would be considered an upset right now at this point in the season, but at the end of the season I think we will look back and say we lost to a pretty good team. I expect them to probably win the big east which would mean they would be a BCS team. So by the end of the year i do not expect us to be kicking ourselves for losing to USF.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullsfan95 View Post
                    I wanted to know the perception of USF coming into the game. Did you expect to walk all over us?
                    I was there and talked to your fans. They were hoping for a competitive game and were hoping for a lot of humidity for help. And Vegas had us as 10.5 point favorites, and they're pretty good at what they do.

So yes, it was an upset.

And when you turn the ball over 3 times inside the 3, and miss a 30 yd fg, and then throw in 2 more turnovers and a ton of penalties, you don't deserve to win. Credit to USF for not committing too many stupid mistakes and taking advantage of ND's numerous mistakes.
                    sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullsfan95 View Post
                      Many ND fans thought this would be a laugher. I didn't. There's a preseason thread on this board about ND's most important game of '11. I picked the USF game. USF shouldn't be ND's most formidable opponent this year but they were quite capable of winning the game if ND struggled. Notre Dame had the capability to put up some serious points but also had a big question mark at QB, much too the denial of many in the offseason. And it was the opening game, the one where mental errors usually surface.

No one anticipated that ND could find so many ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

ND had a 100 yd rusher and two 100 yd receivers; USF didn't.

ND had over 500 yds of Offense while holding USF to a little over 250, a 2:1 ratio.

ND had 5 turnovers; USF None.

The weather was terrible for both teams.

ND struggled on Special Teams; USF didn't.

ND had more talent; USF's talent made less errors.

ND was a 10.5 pt favorite at home, USF scored more points.

The favorite lost. Anyway you slice it, it comes out UPSET.

Wear your win well. Bring home a Big East Championship.

I hate losing. I hate it even more to a 3 win team.

Comment

Yeah but not a big one.

Comment

Yes it was an upset

Comment

It was an upset, but I expected it to at least be close. USF was impressive in the way that Holtz coaches a well disciplined, mostly mistake free football team last Saturday. On the other hand, we were completely sloppy, couldn't hold onto the ball, and we made stupid penalties that all added up to a loss. USF won, but more than anything I would say we beat ourselves. USF wasn't blowing us off the ball, we controlled the line of scrimmage. We had twice the number of offensive yards, and the entire 2nd half we were passing yet USF still gave up 300 yards. Unfortunately you just can't win football games with 5+ turnovers, that's absurd. So...an upset, but it was not because USF dominated the game, just poor ball control on our part and bonehead penalties.

Comment

well, it certainly made me upset

Comment

Originally posted by BurningRiver View Post
                                well, it certainly made me upset
                                ^This....I can't remember the last time I was this pissed at them for losing a game they should have won....probly BC 93'

Comment

Yes, it was an upset. We lost to an inferior unranked opponent at home.

Comment

First things first, I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed with the hospitality I experienced at Notre Dame. First off the students Saturday morning who were friendly enough to explain why 25 guys in their underwear, painted all up were singing to buildings all over the quad. Second, the guards inside the basilica were great in telling us the history and happenings that occur there along with the gentleman in the museum who shared some great stories with us. Third, misc. ND fans all over campus who helped point us in the right direction to find things, even our car after the game after we got lost.

Lastly, the ND front office for giving us the opportunity to add another "signature win" to our rapidly growing reputation. Granted it may not "help" as much as wins against instate foes FSU or Miami did, but it will help.

Yes, there was a ton of turnovers and ND had more yards, but that was the USF game plan from the start. Bend but don't break and play for the turnovers. We knew the more snaps we made ND take, the bigger the opportunity for turnovers and all we had to do on offense was KEEP THE BALL AND NOT GIVE UP QUICK TDS on fumble recoveries or INTs.

That's exactly what played out. USF kept it absolutely VANILLA on offense for a reason and in fact ND was lucky USF absolutely didn't click one iota on offense. USF didn't score TDs on two trips inside the 5 ourselves and went for the FG instead of sending our 230lb powerback into the line where he never was stopped once for a loss I can remember. BJ only threw past the LOS what, 4 times the whole game? The few times we did look deep, we had guys open, he just missed them or elected for the check down.

So while ND wasn't clicking, USF wasn't clicking by any means as well or this 23-20 victory of which 7 were in "garbage time" could've been 40-7. So it goes both ways. IFs don't count. 23-20 was the score and we'll enjoy this victory and root for tall the rest of the way in hopes this win won't be equivalent of us beating Ball State or FAMU.

Comment

Originally posted by ruger7mmmag View Post

Yes, there was a ton of turnovers and ND had more yards, but that was the USF game plan from the start.
                                      USF planned to give up 500 yards? I can give USF credit for not playing sloppy, not turning the ball over. To say that the way the game played out was planned, however, is stupid. It's in the books, USF won. To look into it any deeper now is pointless.
                                      Last edited by Junkhead; 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM.
                                      2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

To be frank, if not for the 2 hour halftime USF would've blown the doors off. All the momentum was gone after that break and it caused BJ's hammy to tighten up eliminating that aspect of his game and Holtz went into run clock and punt mode and of course ND is going to have a crap load of offense when they started drive after drive inside their 20 or close to it. USF didn't hold the ball worth a crap except for one drive. Either we pinned yall deep or we were kicking off after FGs so the entire game was giving ND the ball with a long field and letting them drive, drive, drive until they screwed up. Holtz even said so on ESPN tonight when he said the goal was "more snaps" than yards...

All summer the emphasis was on TURNOVERS after last year we did a great job limiting yards, but didn't get the turnovers. Follow this team the rest of the season and you'll see, this team is extremely "turnover driven". Granted the punt muff was a gift, but we took those other ones away.

Comment

To be frank, if not for the 2 hour halftime USF would've blown the doors off. All the momentum was gone after that break and it caused BJ's hammy to tighten up eliminating that aspect of his game and Holtz went into run clock and punt mode and of course ND is going to have a crap load of offense when they started drive after drive inside their 20 or close to it. USF didn't hold the ball worth a crap except for one drive. Either we pinned yall deep or we were kicking off after FGs so the entire game was giving ND the ball with a long field and letting them drive, drive, drive until they screwed up. Holtz even said so on ESPN tonight when he said the goal was "more snaps" than yards...

All summer the emphasis was on TURNOVERS after last year we did a great job limiting yards, but didn't get the turnovers. Follow this team the rest of the season and you'll see, this team is extremely "turnover driven". Granted the punt muff was a gift, but we took those other ones away.
                                          Like the one that hit TJ in the side of his plum??? Are you serious?

Comment

The game was given to USF, gift-wrapped. Take it, enjoy it, don't over analyze it.
                                            2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

We still had to make a play on it did we not? We had a few balls "pop" up in the air off our WRs as well. Only difference was your defense didn't either have the speed or awareness to get to it before it hit the ground. This team looks and expects turnovers. I know that's hard to believe, but later this season when you see their whole body of work you'll see what I'm talking about.

I will say this though, it says alot though about the talent you guys do have to even keep those drives going each time as long as you did. Floyd is a real beast and we all knew there was no way BK would suspend your best shot to win. Your TE is a weapon and Wood is a solid back. When you get the breaks and more efficiency out of the QB position, you guys will be pretty potent as the defense does a fine job.

Comment

Is it possible to upset oneself? Because the only team that beat us on Saturday was ND.

Comment

No, it was not an upset because Notre Dame Stadium has become a house of horrors for the Notre Dame football team.

In close games at ND Stadium every bounce or call or quirky thing that happens favors the visitors.

Comment

Floyd is a real beast and we all knew there was no way BK would suspend your best shot to win. Your TE is a weapon and Wood is a solid back. When you get the breaks and more efficiency out of the QB position, you guys will be pretty potent as the defense does a fine job.
                                                    Nice backhanded compliment. I'm going to avoid the Floyd dig.

Reese threw for 296 yards, with a 70.6% CMP% and two touchdowns IN THE SECOND HALF WITH EVERYONE ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH LOOKING FOR THE PASS.

Your boy Daniels threw for 128yds the whole game.

Be thankful we shot ourselves in the foot so many times, but please don't try to tell me that you game planned us doubling your total offensive output. I respect Skip too much to have his game plan defaced like that.

If you are being honest with yourself, at the end of the day when you turn off the lights and crawl into bed... you know right before you close your eyes to dream your dreams of a Big Easy (I mean East) title you are saying to yourself... "wow, we barely got away with that one."

Godspeed.
                                                    Last edited by TheGame'09; 09-05-2011, 11:08 PM.
                                                    People often ask me, 'Kenny, what are your weaknesses? Do you have any?' I would say that my biggest flaw, my achilles heel, is my tireless work ethic.

Comment

Yes, there was a ton of turnovers and ND had more yards, but that was the USF game plan from the start. Bend but don't break and play for the turnovers. We knew the more snaps we made ND take, the bigger the opportunity for turnovers and all we had to do on offense was KEEP THE BALL AND NOT GIVE UP QUICK TDS on fumble recoveries or INTs.
                                                      That blows me away...

So the gameplan was to let the other team walk up and down the field on you and hope that they make mistakes? As it was said before, there is no reason to analyze this anymore, but wow.. to say that the Irish fell into the trap of USF is incredible.

I'll be pulling for USF the rest of the way. West Virginia will be a tough test and it will play out pretty much like saturday did, I hope skips bend but dont break defense works against them, but the chances WVU makes the same mistakes are pretty slim.

Comment

We still had to make a play on it did we not? We had a few balls "pop" up in the air off our WRs as well. Only difference was your defense didn't either have the speed or awareness to get to it before it hit the ground. This team looks and expects turnovers. I know that's hard to believe, but later this season when you see their whole body of work you'll see what I'm talking about.
                                                        So laughable. Dude, it was a lucky bounce. It wasn't about being quicker to the ball or wanting it more or nothing to do with that. The football has an odd shape, and thus takes odd bounces. It hits our guy and luckily bounces STRAIGHT to your guy. The ball hits your guy and bounces five feet away to an open area. To say it is anything other than luck shows true ignorance.

And if you're playing the entire year playing average offense, expecting turnovers and giving offenses the entire field all the way up to the 3 yd line and you expect to win, well, good luck with that. It won't work.

As was said, you got a few lucky bounces, you played great on special teams, and created some nice turnovers also. Otherwise, you were thoroughly dominated. Enjoy the deserved win and don't overanalyze it too much...

Comment

That's exactly what played out. USF kept it absolutely VANILLA on offense for a reason and in fact ND was lucky USF absolutely didn't click one iota on offense. USF didn't score TDs on two trips inside the 5 ourselves and went for the FG instead of sending our 230lb powerback into the line where he never was stopped once for a loss I can remember. BJ only threw past the LOS what, 4 times the whole game? The few times we did look deep, we had guys open, he just missed them or elected for the check down.

So while ND wasn't clicking, USF wasn't clicking by any means as well or this 23-20 victory of which 7 were in "garbage time" could've been 40-7. So it goes both ways. IFs don't count. 23-20 was the score and we'll enjoy this victory and root for tall the rest of the way in hopes this win won't be equivalent of us beating Ball State or FAMU.

The "Bend But Don't Break" Defense doesn't game plan a +5 Turnover Margin. I wished Bullward a Big East Championship. If you're going to count on 5 turnovers a game to eke out 3 point wins, you're in for a disappointing season.

Comment

An upset? Let's see 5 turnover to zero, 1 for a 95 yard defensive td and 3 inside your 5...and USF still needed a shanked 30 yd fg. by Ruffer to hang on. Congratulations on playing turnover free ball, but yeah it was an upset. Everything, EVERYthing had to fall USF's way in order to win and everything did just that.

But a prolate spheroid bounces in funny ways and when two reasonably matched teams take the field, nothing is certain. Most intelligent Notre Dame fans expected a good game 7 - 10 point win against a stubborn and well coached team.
                                                            Last edited by Irish To The Core; 09-05-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                              So laughable. Dude, it was a lucky bounce. It wasn't about being quicker to the ball or wanting it more or nothing to do with that. The football has an odd shape, and thus takes odd bounces. It hits our guy and luckily bounces STRAIGHT to your guy. The ball hits your guy and bounces five feet away to an open area. To say it is anything other than luck shows true ignorance.

And if you're playing the entire year playing average offense, expecting turnovers and giving offenses the entire field all the way up to the 3 yd line and you expect to win, well, good luck with that. It won't work.

As was said, you got a few lucky bounces, you played great on special teams, and created some nice turnovers also. Otherwise, you were thoroughly dominated. Enjoy the deserved win and don't overanalyze it too much...
                                                              Maybe Coach K will take down the "Play Like A Champion Today" placard and replace it with a placard that reads "Don't Play Like An Idiot Today".

Comment

Originally posted by NDMontana View Post
                                                                Maybe Coach K will take down the "Play Like A Champion Today" placard and replace it with a placard that reads "Don't Play Like An Idiot Today".
                                                                Relax... You've stated your displeasure in several posts. You've made your point. Give it a rest already.

Comment

Never thought I'd see a guy with 1,400+ posts this irate at this point without the screen name NDOM.... This is a new one on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish To The Core View Post

But a prolate spheroid ...
                                                                    Damn wish I had thought of that when responding in the ND Academics thread. ND student athletes have to know what that is in the classroom even if they don't always recognize it on the field.

Mention a prolate spheriod to Cam Newton, Terrelle Pryor, or Katzenmoyer and they'd demand a paternity test.

Comment

One thing is for sure, we'll get to enjoy this for a long time since ND won't put football in the conference like the other sports. Then again, after Saturday, maybe we have seen why...

Comment

One thing is for sure, we'll get to enjoy this for a long time since ND won't put football in the conference like the other sports. Then again, after Saturday, maybe we have seen why...
                                                                        It takes a real man to talk sh!t AFTER the game. Where were you last week???

Guess I gotta say this again: Dude, take it to rivals or scout or espn or youtube or wherever else, but this is not a smacktalk site. Those other sites are. This site is for irish fans to talk about Irish football. It's not a site where a ton of trolls are going to come here and engage in smacktalk. Just not the way the site works. That's fun for some sites and there are plenty of sites for that, but not this one.

HTCI, you called it before it even took place. Thanks for the heads-up.

See ya 'ruger'...

Comment

Haha gotta love NDinL.A. layin down the hammer!!! thanks man!

Comment

Yes you have to. Everyone was expecting us to win and live up to the Hype. We were the ranked team not them.
                                                                            Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• #39
                                                                              They need to come here because its tough talking USF football on boards with the same 6 fans.

Ball State +21.5. Lock of the Year. A vBookie event will be made for that game.
                                                                              Life is one, big Over/Under.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                A huge upset. ND did everything it could to hand you guys the game. Against a team that doesn't make all those mistakes on offense your 250 yards of offensive output gets you blown out.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  It takes a real man to talk sh!t AFTER the game. Where were you last week???

Guess I gotta say this again: Dude, take it to rivals or scout or espn or youtube or wherever else, but this is not a smacktalk site. Those other sites are. This site is for irish fans to talk about Irish football. It's not a site where a ton of trolls are going to come here and engage in smacktalk. Just not the way the site works. That's fun for some sites and there are plenty of sites for that, but not this one.

HTCI, you called it before it even took place. Thanks for the heads-up.

See ya 'ruger'...
                                                                                  It has to be tough to be an irish fan. In the last 30 years you have had one sucessful coach who has had sustained winning. There have been a few 10 win teams since that have gone on to big bowls only to be exposed and blown out. Honestly I feel for you guys. Losing for just three years is tough I can't imagine losing for 15.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by blue in ohio View Post
                                                                                    It has to be tough to be an irish fan. In the last 30 years you have had one sucessful coach who has had sustained winning. There have been a few 10 win teams since that have gone on to big bowls only to be exposed and blown out. Honestly I feel for you guys. Losing for just three years is tough I can't imagine losing for 15.
                                                                                    This guy is seriously not banned yet? He is up to 28 posts, too. C'mon.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by HereComeTheIrish View Post
                                                                                      Never thought I'd see a guy with 1,400+ posts this irate at this point without the screen name NDOM.... This is a new one on me.
                                                                                      I always forget that tongue-in-cheek humor doesn't always come across in the written word. Or that some aren't sharp enough to pick up on it. I not upset at all...grew out of getting upset about football games a while back.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        It's always considered a technical upset when you are the favored team. In that regard, yes it was an upset. Considering other factors (i.e. Quarterback questions, first game of the season, and the opponent being a Big East Conference contender), it was less of a surprise to me than most, even though I go into every game dedicated to ND and convinced they will win. Also we beat ourselves. To me, a true upset consists of a superior team playing well and an undisputed lesser team simply playing better. This criteria in no way applies to the game on Saturday.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Mr. McGibblets View Post
                                                                                          They need to come here because its tough talking USF football on boards with the same 6 fans.

Ball State +21.5. Lock of the Year. A vBookie event will be made for that game.
                                                                                          LET'S GO CARDS! They're getting my bet!
                                                                                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            It was definitely an upset, because the game itself proved that we were clearly the better team. And we lost

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              What didn't you get by the mod's post about not smacktalking?

If you want to discuss on here, feel free, but quit trying to talk up ****. You guys didn't even have to go to a big bowl to get your *** handed to you anyways.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/01Kz6Rw99Kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• #48

For the most part I agree with L.A. but after looking again at the highlight of the tipped ball that we had a chance to intercept, if Gary Gray is even just jogging towards the play, he is intercepting the ball. Instead he is walking towards the play and by the time he sees the ball tipped in the air, he doesn't have time to get to it. We had a chance at a turnover and didn't get it because of a lack of hustle IMO.

Gray is at the top of the screen on the replay (sorry, you have to watch an advertisement before the play is shown)
                                                                                                Tipped Pass replay
                                                                                                Last edited by ab2cmiller; 09-06-2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I really do feel for you guys. Michigan has been down for 3 years and it's been hell. It's seems like forever since you guys had a coach winning there. After Saturday's debacle I just don't feel good about Kelly. It's all too familiar with the RR years at Michigan. You have a divided fanbase with a egotistical tirant kind of coach. Three years seems like eternity I can't imagine how 15 would feel.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I really do feel for you guys. Michigan has been down for 3 years and it's been hell. It's seems like forever since you guys had a coach winning there. After Saturday's debacle I just don't feel good about Kelly. It's all too familiar with the RR years at Michigan. You have a divided fanbase with a egotistical tirant kind of coach. Three years seems like eternity I can't imagine how 15 would feel.
                                                                                                    /thread

Thank you for your valuable and thought-provoking commentary.

He's not a tyrant, he's upset that the team wasn't performing the way they had for the past 3 weeks. I'm not sure why that's difficult to comprehend. This whining about yelling is stupid.

You don't feel good about Kelly? We lost 1 game against a decent opponent opening week. Give me a break. Read a book, preferably a dictionary, and move on. We'll see you Saturday.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X