"Rocket" Ismail - Notre Dame Legend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rocket" Ismail - Notre Dame Legend?

I feel Rocket gets lost in the mix when we discuss Notre Dame legends/greats. To me, no one has been as electrifying or has showed the true Notre Dame spirit as the "Rocket".

Watching highlights and interviews just makes me so pumped up to be an Irish fan, and even more pumped up of the upcoming season. Can we produce another "Rocket"? Or has our time passed? Some may say Golden Tate resembles Raghib, but if you look at the highlights, it isn't even close.

Discuss?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pT9xW8fnj8I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pT9xW8fnj8I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6uMhwp5mSq4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6uMhwp5mSq4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BPLUVeUu20&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BPLUVeUu20&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqC_Br3cDJg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqC_Br3cDJg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIZZ0HvPlYg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIZZ0HvPlYg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PxRepBi1Hiw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PxRepBi1Hiw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBpPcjnZXr0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBpPcjnZXr0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You gotta love his endzone celebration also, kneel and say a prayer, classic.

I don't think I could ever name a favorite player from ND. If I had to put them in order. He would be in the top tier.
    Any time he touched the ball you could just feel the electricity pumping throughout your body expecting something BIG. The speed and agility not to mention the ability to break some tackles made him pure AWESOMENESS.

P.S. One of the things I love about ND and ND athletics, our atheletes can speak well. Look at Dez Bryant from Okie state last year. Then look at ALL of our atheletes it is evedent where people go to play football and where people go to get an education and play football.

Pray

Comment

I named my dog "Rocket" when I was a little kid after him.

It was a girl dog but I didn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishTimer View Post
        I named my dog "Rocket" when I was a little kid after him.

It was a girl dog but I didn't care.
        Makes sense you couldn't really name the dog after its huge "red rocket"

Comment

Was it Ismail that Lou commented on in recruiting......"This kid is so fast when he turns the light switch off at night, he is in bed before it gets dark"? Or was that Miller?

Comment

Originally posted by BestBIrish47 View Post
            Was it Ismail that Lou commented on in recruiting......"This kid is so fast when he turns the light switch off at night, he is in bed before it gets dark"? Or was that Miller?
            I think it was Powlus

Comment

I've always felt like it was Tim Brown that's been lost in the shuffle over the years. Graduating right before the last national title didn't help in that regard.

Rocket is the man though, I think he's still extremely popular amongst us fans.

I see a little bit of Rocket in Cierre Wood. Can't wait until he touches the ball.

Comment

Disagree. Rocket is my all time favorite ND player. Yeah I said it.

I still can't believe they screwed him against COL.

Comment

watching his returns pumps me up. i'd love to see us return some kicks this year.

Comment

That play against UT is godly. He goes 40 yards in about 4 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Bush View Post
                      Disagree. Rocket is my all time favorite ND player. Yeah I said it.

I still can't believe they screwed him against COL.
                      I remember after that game they interviewed the Colorado player that got "clipped" and he said he wouldn't have gotten Rocket either way - clip or no clip. Heartbreaking loss.
                      “We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.” C.S. Lewis

Comment

Rocket ran an unofficial 40 yd dash of 4.16 in full pads at practice at ND.

Wonder who was faster, The Bullet, Primetime or Rocket? :allhail:

Comment

Usain Bolt was/is faster...

Comment

Bolt has nothing on a 40 yd dash. Chris Johnson will murk him.

Comment

I bet you are high... Dude would be close to 4.3 at the least. Coach Nuetered, I mean MBeckha, may be able to correct us both.

Comment

Rocket ran an unofficial 40 yd dash of 4.16 in full pads at practice at ND.

Wonder who was faster, The Bullet, Primetime or Rocket?
                                Bo Jackson.

Verified 4.12 at the NFL Combine in the '80's.

Comment

Bolt ran 40m in 4.85 secs. So he would probably run in the 4.0-4.1 area for a 40 yd dash..lol
                                  Last edited by Reggie Bush; 08-06-2010, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaqEvansIsGod View Post
                                    Bo Jackson.

Verified 4.12 at the NFL Combine in the '80's.
                                    Correct me if im wrong but the NFL started electronically timing players in 2000?

Comment

Correct me if im wrong but the NFL started electronically timing players in 2000?
                                      It was hand-timed, yes. But it's definitely fast.

Comment

That is what i want to see in Riddick, i know he doesnt have THAT speed, but i always feel like he is always a threat to break one, he just needed that boost blocking and to get a little faster and stronger, i am REALLY excited for kickoffs know after Kelly specifically said in his PC on kick returns "Thats something im really excited about"
                                        "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

I love the Rocket, but unfortunately he wasn't used enough. I will go on record as saying Tate was more "electrifying", as he had the ball in his hands more. Raghib was awesome, as was Tate, I hope we have someone step up this year!
                                          2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by johnnykillz View Post
                                            I bet you are high... Dude would be close to 4.3 at the least. Coach Nuetered, I mean MBeckha, may be able to correct us both.
                                            Tyson Gay beat Usain Bolt in the 100 today (or last night.)

Tyson Gay Crushes Usain Bolt in Stockholm 100m Battle

I would not be at all surprised if Mbeck is lurking around with another name.

I think Rocket had more chances early on to show his stuff than Tate had. Same with Brown. All three were electric and always a threat to score every time they touched the ball.
                                            Last edited by NeuteredDoomer; 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeuteredDoomer View Post
                                              Tyson Gay beat Usain Bolt in the 100 today (or last night.)

I would not be at all surprised if Mbeck is lurking around with another name.

duh!

Mbeckha "handled" Tyson Gay's strength and conditioning. How else could it have happened!

Comment

Wow thanks for this update, you guys find out info not even related to the subject, thats really cool (not sarcastic) i wouldnt have known that otherwise, god u people are internet deities, or you have no lives, or a little of both.
                                                "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

The Colorado run back ; I swear you can see the guy just take a quick glimpse to his right and see the ND defender about to block him.
                                                  I remember that nigh watching that game. And then, going to school the next day in SHOCK.

Comment

I love the rocket. He came on the scene right on Tim Brown's heels. Tim was a big part of a turn-around for the program, and there were lofty expectations of the All-purpose ball player based on what Tim did. Rocket met and exceeded expectations. Throughout his career he played big in big games.

To me its simple...the guy was a once in a lifetime tallent that delivered under the brightest of lights.

I think everyone has a player that ignited their passion for the ND program. Rocket is my guy. (although stoney is my AVATAR...I loved how he played the game too)

As someone mentioned previously, Tate had similar qualities...Many rabid ND fans will result from Mr. Tate too...
                                                    One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

this quote is a stolen one from negro league ball players about cool papa bell...

anyway... Rocket is one of THE Irish legends imo...
                                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

The quote is originally about Satchell Paige the major league pitcher from the 50s and 60s who played in the negro leagues before the color barrier was broken

Comment

Irish Timer, can't believe you named your Rocket.
                                                          So did I. We had Rock for 16 years just put him down last week. He was quick like The Rocket as well.
                                                          I do believe Rocket Ismail is a Irish legend, yes he was known for amazing kicks returns and electric plays, but he was a incredibly tough player as well . He was on kick coverage during his Freshman season. Also, he was involved in a important play against SC in the Natl Champ year. I was in the Coliseum that day. ND was backed up at their own 1 in the first quarter. Tony Rice heaved it down field and Rocket came down with the ball at about midfield. Might seem insigfiicant because it led to no points, but it changed field position and helped set the tone for the game.
                                                          Truly a Irish Legend.
                                                          "Hope is for those people who aren't prepared" Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                            this quote is a stolen one from negro league ball players about cool papa bell...

anyway... Rocket is one of THE Irish legends imo...
                                                            Originally posted by Allocco 12,1975 View Post
                                                            The quote is originally about Satchell Paige the major league pitcher from the 50s and 60s who played in the negro leagues before the color barrier was broken
                                                            As I said it was about Cool Papa Bell... and it was from the 40's... maybe even earlier
                                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Speaking of Rocket; I was on leave a few years ago in Scranton, PA, my hometown. Rocket is from Wilkes-Barre which is part of the metro area. Our local sports guy apparently beat him in the district finals for the 110m hurdles, and this writer did a whole piece about how he beat the "Rocket". This leads me to believe that Rocket is still held in high regard, which would mean he's considered "great", if some guy from high school is writing a completely self serving piece about how he beat him ages ago. I thought Joby, the writer, was a huge tool for that, but it made me realize that Rocket is still admired. I always loved Rocket, because he was such an electrifying player, and who doesn't love those type of athletes?

Comment

Originally posted by mgriff View Post
                                                                Speaking of Rocket; I was on leave a few years ago in Scranton, PA, my hometown. Rocket is from Wilkes-Barre which is part of the metro area. Our local sports guy apparently beat him in the district finals for the 110m hurdles, and this writer did a whole piece about how he beat the "Rocket". This leads me to believe that Rocket is still held in high regard, which would mean he's considered "great", if some guy from high school is writing a completely self serving piece about how he beat him ages ago. I thought Joby, the writer, was a huge tool for that, but it made me realize that Rocket is still admired. I always loved Rocket, because he was such an electrifying player, and who doesn't love those type of athletes?
                                                                Agreed, and if it is any contribution...many folks outside Wilkes Barre/Scranton knew of him, and are proud to say he was a PA boy...I grew up in Williamsport...My Senior year Gary Brown dominated local headlines...but we knew who Ismail was from the WNEP broadcasts (I think thats right...anyway the Wilkes Barre/Scranton station). My brother was an ROTC boy at Wilkes College at the time so he would also tell me about him.

I was stoked when I heard he was headed to ND...my dad called me at college to tell me...so even we Williamsport guys knew of him, and held him in pretty high regard....before the nation knew about the rocket.

I'd say even though Brown probably had a more productive Pro career (albeit shorter), more people in PA would know the Rocket was from PA, and mention him with pride.
                                                                One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                Working...
                                                                X