Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: Get ready for Gruden's Return

Get ready for Gruden's return | ProFootballTalk.com

Interesting read. I did not know Gruden and Weis were represented by the same agent. Kind of an interesting dynamic in all the speculation. Not sure about Gruden being "impatient" to work with college QB's. As much as he loved collecting QB's in the NFL, it would seem to me that he likes the idea of molding young players....especially QB's!

If he does come to at least he has Head Coaching experience unlike Weis & Davie......
    "Train Strong Is To Remain Strong"

Comment

I just don't see him coaching ND.
      God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

I don't see him here either. He seems more like professional athlete coach per say, meaning he won't do as well will student athletes and 'kids'.

Comment

Get Ready For Gruden's Return

The pro game, then, is likely where he'll land.

Comment

Originally posted by Big23Head View Post
            I don't see him here either. He seems more like professional athlete coach per say, meaning he won't do as well will student athletes and 'kids'.
            He strikes me as just the opposite, fiery, Nick Saban like.
            The original wakeuptheechoes not to be confused with wakeupechoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate Penn St. Hater View Post
              I just don't see him coaching ND.
              me too....i would like to know how people are "thinking" this is gonna work.....? gruden is not ND material....oh...wait.......I know......... he went to Clay....BFD.....

Comment

Originally posted by nd1988 View Post
                me too....i would like to know how people are "thinking" this is gonna work.....? gruden is not ND material....oh...wait.......I know......... he went to Clay....BFD.....
                Hey, there's nothing wrong with Clay.... I went there, and look at me now!

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockOnHelmet View Post
                  Hey, there's nothing wrong with Clay.... I went there, and look at me now!
                  no no...i didn't mean it that way.....some people are "trying" to justify Gruden coming to South Bend......................Sooooo...you know.....the only reason gruden would come here is b/c of...........Clay? I guess....

ps..clays girls were fun when i was in school....

Comment

I don't think he is coming here either, but there is more then him going to high school in south bend. Like his dad coaching at ND under Ara, and how he was going to go to ND as a student. But wasn't ready to give up football yet, so he opted to go to a school that he might have a chance to play at.

Comment

WE DON"T WANT GRUDEN.......he will be bad as a college coach. IF Weis gets fired, ND better have a proven winner in their pockets. Just wonder how many players will transfer? and how many verbal recruits we'll lose?

Comment

Look at all the Quarterbacks he amassed in the NFL... all were experienced. All were vets. All were not ROOKIES AND UNDEVELOPED TALENT.

Comment

Gruden's dad was an assistant coach at ND, and Gruden went to high school in South Bend in the 70's.....not saying that means anything, but there is A connection there.
                          "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

Comment

When he was in Tampa he couldn't motivate paid players, how's he going to do it with college kids? His style is simple he screams and yells at everyone.How do you think he got the nickname "Chucky" You never know it might be just what they need.

Comment

Originally posted by nd1988 View Post
                              no no...i didn't mean it that way.....some people are "trying" to justify Gruden coming to South Bend......................Sooooo...you know.....the only reason gruden would come here is b/c of...........Clay? I guess....

ps..clays girls were fun when i was in school....
                              I know, I know - just giving you a hard time. Yeah, Clay girls liked to party. They WANTED to be St. Joe or Penn girls, so, you know...

Comment

I like Charlie Weis, and I agree the sentiment "Rome wasn't built in a day" in regards to the football program, but this is a whole different style compared to professional football.....Those players in the NFL didn't HAVE to respond to screaming and yelling because they sat on 30 million dollar contracts. College kids, however, still have the love for the game, and no fat contracts to break their fall, in my personal opinion I think that they would respond quite well to Gruden's coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by jmurphy75 View Post
                                  When he was in Tampa he couldn't motivate paid players, how's he going to do it with college kids? ...
                                  "I just don't know how to motivate professional athletes." Lou Holtz when he resigned from the NY Jets.

Add Spurrier, Carroll, ... the list is long of successful college coaches that couldn't translate that success to the paid ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by shortnd View Post
                                    WE DON"T WANT GRUDEN.......he will be bad as a college coach. IF Weis gets fired, ND better have a proven winner in their pockets. Just wonder how many players will transfer? and how many verbal recruits we'll lose?
                                    could u try and base your post on any kind of fact?

and is winning a SuperBowl as a head coach not an achievement anymore? Id say that makes him more than qualified.
                                    And would all you people quit saying we're bound to lose a ton of recruits if there's a coaching change. If we can get a great coach with a winning track record who can bring some life to our program(which right now we're on life support) then we wont lose recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by WabashFalcon View Post
                                      Look at all the Quarterbacks he amassed in the NFL... all were experienced. All were vets. All were not ROOKIES AND UNDEVELOPED TALENT.
                                      Yeah he had great QBs, like Chris Simms, Brian Griese, Bruce Gradkowski, Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and they did sign Jeff Garcia at 37 years of age. He had Rich Gannon in Oakland and was very successful, and won a Super Bowl with well traveled Brad Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish4Life09 View Post
                                        could u try and base your post on any kind of fact?

and is winning a SuperBowl as a head coach not an achievement anymore? Id say that makes him more than qualified.
                                        And would all you people quit saying we're bound to lose a ton of recruits if there's a coaching change. If we can get a great coach with a winning track record who can bring some life to our program(which right now we're on life support) then we wont lose recruits.
                                        I agree only 27 Head Coach have won a Super Bowl, he is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by shortnd View Post
                                          Speak for yourself. Personally, I'd love to have Jon Gruden at the helm. He may or may not transfer well into the college game. But, two things he does have above and beyond our current coach:

1. Head coaching experience prior to ND.
                                          2. He's won something more than games over mediocre teams. He's won a Superbowl in which he had to be the HEAD COACH. Not just a coordinator, not just in a system and not just with lots of talent. He had to orchestrate the symphony.

Those two things alone, plus the fact he's young and considered a good coach by NFL standards, make him a nice choice. Plus there's the ND connection from his past and I think it's as good a fit as we can probably hope for. The Pete Carroll's, the Urban Meyer's, the Nick Saban's...they aren't coming. So, we not only need someone who is the bet we can get, but we need someone with the above two mentioned criteria IMHO.

Comment

All of this constant speculation makes me laugh

Comment

Gruden did wear a blue and gold tie last Monday Night Football...how is that for a reach.
                                              2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

I'm with Polish on this one...it isn't a stretch by any means. Gruden has confessed to loving Notre Dame and it's lore, now I don't know if that means he would love to coach them, but the possibility isn't exactly laughable.

Comment

Let's go with a college coach please.

Comment

If Charlie Weis is the coach of this team next year, I honestly believe that you can pencil in 10 wins. I honestly think that he's close to having the kinks worked out. As I've said before, he's not a good coach right now....but he will be.

If Jon Gruden coaches this team-an idea that I find abhorrent-you can pencil the team in for 8-9 wins because he would, I assume, also run a pro-style offense so it wouldn't be an entirely new system/concept.

If Brian Kelly coaches the team next year, I would say six wins. He runs the spread w/ some option which a junior/senior laden team would find difficult to implement.

I disagree with the posters who say it isn't Charlie's fault that things have gone the way which they have--I think it is. I don't appreciate the excuses that are made because there should be no excuses. But I agree with the premise that Charlie Weis deserves one more year--make or break. Otherwise you're just starting over and when that coach has a bad season or two and the alumni insists on his dismissal, then you start over again. Trust me, you don't want a program that is constantly rebuilding. There's something to be said for what stability can do for a program. I think the Rooney family has proven that providing stability can be a recipe for success and success doesn't mean winning the Super Bowl or National Championship every year....it means that you have a team that is in the position to win championships each year.

Comment

Comment

weis will be back we all know it hahah

Comment

Grudens not comin to ND he wants to coach in the NFL

Comment

I don't think we are winning 10 games no matter who is head coach because we will have a new QB, a new wide receiver alongside Floyd, new offensive tackles, and most likely a new defensive coordinator. It's a rebuilding year next year. Stanford, USC, and Pitt will all be very tough games.

Comment

I have stood by Weis, and am losing faith in him. But mark my words John Gruden is not the answer. I like coach Gruden a whole lot, but all of his successes came with veteran teams. He has never been known for developing talent. He is a schematics guy, much like Charlie. Only difference is, is that Charlie has proven time and again that he can develop QB's. If you remove CW then you must replace him with a coach that is a prove winner and overachiever. I personally dont believ we will find anyone like that, the only ones that comes to mind in the college game right now are Chris Peterson, Paul Johnson, and Gary Patterson. None are going to be willing to leave where they are at to come here.
                                                              Though I be the lone survivor...
                                                              IRISH RANGER

Comment

I think Gruden would be great. He's a rah rah guy who can get the kids pumped.

Honestly, I think he's better suited for the college game than the pros. Plus he's one of the very few names we could bring in that would salvage our recruits.

Comment

There have been many coaches that did not do well in the NFL that were great college coaches. John McCay-USC, Lou Holtz-ND, Steve Spurrier-FL, John Robinson-USC, Pete Carroll-USC, Nick Saban-LSU, Dan Devine-ND, Bud Wilkerson-OK, and at least one other guy who sucked as a pro coach, what his name again, let me see, it will come to me, Oh! I remember now, Dave Wannstedt-Pittsburg. Gruden's credentials in the NFL were better than all of them. He rebuilt an Oakland tem that would have been in the Super Bowl if not for a contraversial call against New England, and won a Super Bowl in Tampa Bay with a average to good Quarterback. But other than that he never had a decent QB.

All that being said, I don't believe Gruden is coming to ND. But don't make claims that he couldn't coach in the college ranks without one ounce of proof either way. I honestly don't know how he would do at any college. He does however have a decent resume.

As far as firing Weis or keeping Weis, Discuss the facts one way or the other. Leave the name calling out. (Not acusing anyone in this particular thread) Because the truth is if I new for a fact that Weis would win every game next year and we would be National Champs, I would say by all means keep him. If I knew for a fact we would go 7-5 next year, I would say fire him. If I knew for a fact that whomever replaces Weis, (if he is replaced) would win a National Championship next year, I would say hire him today, what are we waiting for. We are all caught up in what we feel, I understand because we all love ND, and love is a feeling. Whatever the case, I do believe regardless of his coaching performance Charlie Weis is a decent and good man, and should be afforded the respect a being just that.
                                                                  The original wakeuptheechoes not to be confused with wakeupechoes.

Comment

Originally posted by JughedJones View Post
                                                                    I think Gruden would be great. He's a rah rah guy who can get the kids pumped.

Honestly, I think he's better suited for the college game than the pros. Plus he's one of the very few names we could bring in that would salvage our recruits.
                                                                    I think you are right on both counts. I think he can motivate the young players, something Charlie cannot do, and he could salvage this recruiting class. Another thing, he would not overhaul the whole offensive system and I think the offense is excellent except for the line. Someone like Kelly would require a whole new offensive system and that would take time and patience until the right players are in place.

Comment

Gruden won't be next coach. I would not be surprised if as soon as Weis is fired, within a few days Brian Kelly is announced as next coach. Or even Meyer. My sense of Swarbrick is he won't be caught with his pants down like Kev White. A lot of planning has already gone into this decision.

Comment

I like Gruden. He is an emotional guy who isn't afraid to show it. I think the players will feed off of that. No one thought Carroll would succeed at USC and look what has happened. Carroll has won because he lets the kids be kids, recruits well and has always surround himself with a great staff, Chow, Kifflin, Sarkasian(sp) and a few others. Basically it comes down to two things. 1) A quality staff that can teach the fundamentals. Forget scheme, get the players to understand their positions and turn them lose. I am sick of our DB having the back to the ball. Last I swear if Walls turns around he could have deflected the TD to Baldwin. 2) Recruiting. You don't have to get all 5 star players, just players that want to play for ND and fit what you are attempting to do.

Comment

Originally posted by elkona View Post
                                                                          Gruden won't be next coach. I would not be surprised if as soon as Weis is fired, within a few days Brian Kelly is announced as next coach. Or even Meyer. My sense of Swarbrick is he won't be caught with his pants down like Kev White. A lot of planning has already gone into this decision.
                                                                          Maybe Gruden will be the next coach because a lot of planning has gone into his decision. Gruden would bring the fire the players need plus he would be a great recruiter, something I believe Kelly is not.

Comment

Unfortunately for Jon Gruden, Monte Kiffin--the secret to his success--is at Tennessee. There might be an answer out there....but it's not Jon Gruden.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              John Gruden is the best option for Notre Dame for a couple reasons:

1.) He bings instant credability to the program as a head coach. To me it matters very little that he has not been a head coach at the college level and I dont think it would be the huge adjustment for him that many think it would be. The bottom line is he has coached football his entire life with great success. His fire and passion is what is missing from this lackluster Notre Dame football team.

2.) He brings instant credability to this team as a recruiter. Jon Gruden is a houshold name in the football world and young recruits will know who he is and what he has accomplished. You think Jon Gruden walking into a young recruits house sporting the Notre Dame blue and gold wont get them fired up and excited at the prospect of going to Notre Dame? I think this area is what seperates him as the top candidate over Brian Kelly, who's biggest question is his ability to bring in the big recruits. I also believe hiring Gruden gives us our best chance at retaining the recruits we have and perhaps landing a couple big fish on national signing day.

If Weis is fired as expected this program needs to bring in a coach with passion, credability as a prior head coach, and big appeal as a recruiter. To me Gruden is the only guy who fits that bill on all accounts.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Domer4ever View Post
                                                                                John Gruden is the best option for Notre Dame for a couple reasons:

1.) He bings instant credability to the program as a head coach. To me it matters very little that he has not been a head coach at the college level and I dont think it would be the huge adjustment for him that many think it would be. The bottom line is he has coached football his entire life with great success. His fire and passion is what is missing from this lackluster Notre Dame football team.

2.) He brings instant credability to this team as a recruiter. Jon Gruden is a houshold name in the football world and young recruits will know who he is and what he has accomplished. You think Jon Gruden walking into a young recruits house sporting the Notre Dame blue and gold wont get them fired up and excited at the prospect of going to Notre Dame? I think this area is what seperates him as the top candidate over Brian Kelly, who's biggest question is his ability to bring in the big recruits. I also believe hiring Gruden gives us our best chance at retaining the recruits we have and perhaps landing a couple big fish on national signing day.

If Weis is fired as expected this program needs to bring in a coach with passion, credability as a prior head coach, and big appeal as a recruiter. To me Gruden is the only guy who fits that bill on all accounts.
                                                                                I don't know....will it get recruits fired up? Charlie Weis could walk in and say "You know that Tom Brady guy....I helped shape him"; "Deion Branch....remember that guy?"; "Armando, you remind me a lot of Kevin Faulk. What if I told you that I could help you to 10+ year career in the NFL, too?"

What's Gruden going to say? Remember Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson? Hell, I barely remember those guys. I don't think that you can honestly say that Gruden will be an excellent recruiter at this time.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by NDMontana View Post
                                                                                  I don't know....will it get recruits fired up? Charlie Weis could walk in and say "You know that Tom Brady guy....I helped shape him"; "Deion Branch....remember that guy?"; "Armando, you remind me a lot of Kevin Faulk. What if I told you that I could help you to 10+ year career in the NFL, too?"

What's Gruden going to say? Remember Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson? Hell, I barely remember those guys. I don't think that you can honestly say that Gruden will be an excellent recruiter at this time.
                                                                                  I agree completely. Yes he is a household name. But he has never coached in college. We have no idea how he will be in the living room of a high school kid and his parents.
                                                                                  "The greatest loss is lost opportunity" -Lou Holtz

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by PADOMERNUT View Post
                                                                                    I agree completely. Yes he is a household name. But he has never coached in college. We have no idea how he will be in the living room of a high school kid and his parents.
                                                                                    I would still give Charlie another year. I just don't think that's a realisitc possibility at this point. I'd bet a fan poll would show a majority (albeit a thin majority) would support one more year. But the alumni pulling the strings are going to run him out of town.

Sadly, at this point, as the saying goes, if it has to be done eventually you might as well do it immediately.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      wonder if Charlie coached from the press box all season if the Irish would have a better record?

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I've been a win-lose-draw CW another year guy... all year. But, my heart hurts. I don't know what to feel anymore. I'm 54 and looked at my today parents to see if even resemble them - or any of my 7 siblings...some are fellow alumns as well... all ND fans... I'm lost.
                                                                                        Last edited by JefMaj; 11-15-2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Gruden won a Super Bowl, as the HEAD COACH. We don't need another coordinator. As far as I'm concerned, I would be glad to get Gruden. Not to mention, he is fiery, which is what we need. Someone to FIRE these kids up for each and every game. Charlie has gotten softer and softer every year. He went from being kind of a hardass in his first year here, to a joke. He always says there are no moral victories, BUT... these kids do this, I do that, blah blah blah... bottom line is I LOSE. I am a loser. If we can get Gruden, dump Weis, and take him.
                                                                                          ROGOS

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            No, a majority of ND fans would want Weis gone. Don't mistake yourselves.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by NDMontana View Post

How about, "you see this Super Bowl ring....yeah I won that as the head coach." Gruden has a great coaching resume and has had huge success as a head coach. This is something that Weis coud never say. I dont think anyone will argue the credentials of Gruden and Weis as head coaches.

Also, I dont think its a stretch to think Gruden would not be a great recruiter. His work ethic, passion, credentials, and the fact that he's recruiting for Notre Dame would lead me to believe that he would be tremendous with the young recruits. I think he would have a similar, if not greater, impact recruiting than Lane Kiffin has had in Tennessee.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by IrishR#1 View Post
                                                                                                No, a majority of ND fans would want Weis gone. Don't mistake yourselves.
                                                                                                Based on what??? Is there a poll up that I don't know about?

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I officially want Weis gone. I have thought he was the man up until being at the game last night. His playcalling is bad. And it seems that he doesn't motivate his players at all.

I didn't like these to quotes from Weis in the last 2 weeks. These quotes just make me not like him as a head coach.

Not word for word quotes here, they are from memory.

He said," I will not change the way I coach". If things aren't working, you have to change.

He also said, " You don't use the same play calling at away games then you would at home." You should have faith in your players to be able to execute regardless of where you are playing.

He needs to go.

Tate stays but Jimmy leaves.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    ND football has weathered the storm long enough. Offense still plays with no sense of urgency, OL is still horrible, committing stupid penalties (note:chop block) our DL still can't get a decent pass rush going. Plus we ND can't even execute a simple shuffle pass for a 2 point conversion. Execution of plays in practice, repetition of drills/plays and COACHING would correct all these problems previously mentioned...COACHING...

Dear Mr. Jack Swarbrick

Enough of this Weis experiment...apparently having a mediocre football program is acceptable at ND.

Sincerely,
                                                                                                    Please stop the bleeding.
                                                                                                    “Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated.”

“Ask people over the last 20 years who has won the most Commander-in-Chief's Trophies. Tradition always is under construction. People don't look at what happened in the 1940s. They look at what's happening today.”

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X