Is Tenutu the real deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tenutu the real deal?

I am not impressedd with any full game (including the Nevada game) that Tenutu has coached. I think the split between Corwin and Tenutu is BS. Tentutu made his reputation on one game against ND in 2007. We have enough players that we should be able to be far more competitive. Who's the DC for Boise St.? We look slow and falt footed. Our tackling has been sloppy. I've never seen a team give up so many plays that make other team's QB's look like Heisman candidates. Kent Baer had a better D than any of Charlies so far. Look at Washington's D today. They were a joke last year.

honestly, i can't figure it out. is it tenta or what? maybe our 2ndary is overrated. msu had 2 knew olinemen and we couldn't take advantage of it.
    --cheers,
    tank

Comment

I agree with you. If our D keeps playing like this, our offense is going have to score 38-40+ points a game, just to win barely every week. This has to stop....
      "Notre Dame is College Football"

Comment

ACamp mentioned this many months ago. His scheme can lose just as many games as it wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          ACamp mentioned this many months ago. His scheme can lose just as many games as it wins.
          Good point. Too many easy looking yards being given up. Seems like we need to work harder for ours.

Comment

Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
            Good point. Too many easy looking yards being given up. Seems like we need to work harder for ours.
            agreed, and that won't get us in a bcs bowl game.
            --cheers,
            tank

Comment

I am not impressedd with any full game (including the Nevada game) that Tenutu has coached. I think the split between Corwin and Tenutu is BS. Tentutu made his reputation on one game against ND in 2007. We have enough players that we should be able to be far more competitive. Who's the DC for Boise St.? We look slow and falt footed. Our tackling has been sloppy. I've never seen a team give up so many plays that make other team's QB's look like Heisman candidates. Kent Baer had a better D than any of Charlies so far. Look at Washington's D today. They were a joke last year.
              Tenuta didnt gain his rep based on one game against ND. And in case youre forgetting he shut us down in 2006 too. Tenuta's Ds at Ga Tech were always among the best in the country and in his last year there they led the NCAA in sacks per game. He's had troubles with spread offenses in the past, then he has to go from two games in a row vs. teams who run the spread to a smashmouth team. I agree, his blitzes have not impressed me so far either, but we are also just one year removed from being a 3-4 defense.

There was a great article about it that came out today in the south bend tribune...

South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame football: When will defense arrive?

I don't want to defend the guy too much cause our D has been less than impressive this year, but give him some time. I think by the end of the year he will have picked up what blitz packages work best with our personnel.

Comment

Man MSU was hitting the quick pass all day and NDs blitzers were just hitting the line longer after the pass was gone. Completely ineffective.
                I don't know if its the play calling or lack of players on the D, but something has to change.

Comment

He's overrated. I say we start looking for a new defensive coordinator again. Same shit different year. I'm tired of teams going up and down the field on us.

Comment

agreed phork
                    --cheers,
                    tank

Comment

Agree

Good points, I am obviously speaking from a place of disappointment and fear of facing better teams. I really think we have the talent on the D side of the ball to have a BCS caliber defense I guess I need to show some more patience but I am getting frustrated. I can't think of another team that has so many tackles made by their safety's. I like our safety's but I want to see our LB's making to bulk of the tackles. We made Cosuins and Forcier look like Heisman candidates.

Do you think our current personnel (deep at the LB position) is better suited to the 3-4?

Comment

Our D-Line has not shown up yet. The D is still not getting production from the front 4. Has anyone from our D-Line gotten a sack? Without this group dominating the line of scrimmage our D is going to continue to be average.

The other glaring weakness has been tackling. way too many missed tackles!!
                        Traveler SUCKS!!!

Comment

Wow. wehave a proven Defensive mastermind who is in his second year and has to develop a young and not overly talented D-line and he should be fired already?

He lives and dies by the blitz. If he stays and our defense continues to grow we will have a great d. Why is everyone so quick to fire. I didn't know it took 16 games to determine a coaches career

Comment

Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
                            Wow. wehave a proven Defensive mastermind who is in his second year and has to develop a young and not overly talented D-line and he should be fired already?

He lives and dies by the blitz. If he stays and our defense continues to grow we will have a great d. Why is everyone so quick to fire. I didn't know it took 16 games to determine a coaches career
                            How did Washignton's D look last year? I saw what they did today against a USC team that is supposed to have the best O-line, stable of studs for backs and top WR corp. I think ND is getting th shaft with the refs (how can so many blitzes be picked up without a holding call) but with that said Ihave seen some big turnarounds elsewhere. Someone did say that most teams show up with their best efforts so we do have a tougher time depsite the shit people talk about our so-called weak schedule (which is BS).

Comment

i'm not saying he should be fired. i'm just disappointed that the opposing team's offense goes thru this defense like a hot knife thru butter.

but i do understand what you mean, it takes time to get a young defense to grasp the systeme and excel.
                              --cheers,
                              tank

Comment

This year is starting to remind me of Brady's last two years. The offense has to put up 30+ points to win. Tenuta wasn't even with Irish then. So what do the two teams have in common? CW...that's who! I have yet to see Charlie develop a good defense since he has become head coach. Until a good defense is developed then the Irsh will never return to top of the polls

Comment

How did Washignton's D look last year? I saw what they did today against a USC team that is supposed to have the best O-line, stable of studs for backs and top WR corp. I think ND is getting th shaft with the refs (how can so many blitzes be picked up without a holding call) but with that said Ihave seen some big turnarounds elsewhere. Someone did say that most teams show up with their best efforts so we do have a tougher time depsite the shit people talk about our so-called weak schedule (which is BS).
                                  How did our team look from 04 to 05. An entire new coaching staff can light afire into an underperforming team if they buy into the system. Ourteam went from 4-3 to 3-4 back to 4-3 and have seen different coaches calling plays.

Comment

Wait, you guys don't like delayed blitzes that NEVER work?

I mean, seriously...have you ever seen more ineffective blitzes in your lives? I thought that last year it was because we were so young and the kids just couldn't figure it out, but now I'm not so sure.

But hey, WE WON!!!!! I just want to savor this victory over a team that has absolutely owned us at ND since 1993. I'm not even going to trip on any negativity right now. Thank God we won...

AND USC LOST BABY!
                                    Last edited by NDinL.A.; 09-19-2009, 11:38 PM.
                                    sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Tenuta's kamikaze blitzes aren't working. I think Corwin should be in charge of the D again. Does anyone think we should have given Latina another chance? You either get it or you don't. This will be Tenuta's last year here if we keep giving up 400+ yards EVERY game.
                                      2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

The question of whether or not Tenuta should be fired? Well.. When your D is giving up as many points as your O, then yes. This was supposed to be the break through game. The game against a normal offense.. Swing and a miss... Oh and another miss on that very late delayed blitz..

Comment

Latina, Tenuta, whoever, it doesn't matter evidently. IMO, the problem is that we haven't been signing good defensive lineman (the dopes...wink, wink NDinLA). The problem is that you win and lose up front and our front four get pushed around and generate little to no pressure most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by NDMontana View Post
                                            Latina, Tenuta, whoever, it doesn't matter evidently. IMO, the problem is that we haven't been signing good defensive lineman (the dopes...wink, wink NDinLA). The problem is that you win and lose up front and our front four get pushed around and generate little to no pressure most of the time.
                                            Got it exactly right. We came into the year expecting major contirbutions from Ethan Johnson, KLM, Hafis, and Cwyner. Four Sophmores and only one with game experience. The misses on the d-line are hurting us right now. I don't know if there is an answer other than let the young guys grow up.

Comment

The front seemed to attack. Problem is no LB read help. You do away with true LBs when you tell them where to go every play. Wabash counted the blitzes for us. With no LB parallel help to line on occasion, it puts massive pressure on the DBs and the line. With no DE string out help, you are in trouble.

Sorry for playing internet coach.
                                              Last edited by NeuteredDoomer; 09-20-2009, 05:49 PM. Reason: 2 more hours until...

Comment

Originally posted by NeuteredDoomer View Post
                                                The front seemed to attack. Problem is no LB read help. You do away with true LBs when you tell them where to go every play. Wabash counted the blitzes for us. With no LB parallel help to line on occasion, it puts massive pressure on the DBs and the line. With no DE string out help, you are in trouble.

Sorry for playing internet coach.
                                                I'm somewhat "content" with the run defense. It's our secondary that I'm flippin flipped off about. They were our bread n butter before the season started and 3 games into the season...they're not that good....How do u blitz every down and not get 1 sack..?!!!?

Comment

Originally posted by nd1988 View Post
                                                  I'm somewhat "content" with the run defense. It's our secondary that I'm flippin flipped off about. They were our bread n butter before the season started and 3 games into the season...they're not that good....How do u blitz every down and not get 1 sack..?!!!?
                                                  Yeah. MSU and Bitchagain picked up the blitzes beautifully. Their Olines were well prepared. I mean if you know you are going to get a punch in the face all day, you learn to deflect the punch and where to strike back. Tenuta needs to change things up and give the ends and DBs some help by letting LBs be LBs. Maybe he has too much confidence in the DBs. Or maybe he is just a wreckless asshole.

And maybe I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about.

Comment

Yeah. MSU and Bitchagain picked up the blitzes beautifully. Their Olines were well prepared. I mean if you know you are going to get a punch in the face all day, you learn to deflect the punch and where to strike back. Tenuta needs to change things up and give the ends and DBs some help by letting LBs be LBs. Maybe he has too much confidence in the DBs. Or maybe he is just a wreckless asshole.

And maybe I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about.
                                                    since when did a deer learn some football knowledge??
                                                    --cheers,
                                                    tank

Comment

Originally posted by NDMontana View Post
                                                      Latina, Tenuta, whoever, it doesn't matter evidently. IMO, the problem is that we haven't been signing good defensive lineman
                                                      Bingo...as I stated in another thread....we dont have the horses. I asked someone to name our stud dlinemen and no one gave me names(please include stats). We can have the best coach in the world, if you dont have the players, it isnt going to work.

Our defensive problems start with lack of personel, and it is amplified by our scheme. (if you blitz and dont get pressure, you have effectively slit your own throat).

Our secondary is getting hung out to dry because of 2 reasons:
                                                      1. Blitzing LB's that dont pressure the QB
                                                      2. Man coverage - because of the Blitzing (which is ineffective - weird catch 22 there)

Blitzing is like cake...its nice once in awhile after a meal on special occasions. Its not meant to be had as the main course for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.
                                                      Last edited by TDHeysus; 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM.
                                                      YYZ by RUSH (cover) - (only the last half)
                                                      Billie Stephens' Fiery Disaster -- Dancin' with Myself (partial cover)

Comment

Yeah.And maybe I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about.
                                                        Ya think???

Kinda depends.

Maybe talkin' game day diapers here, maybe not.

I talk outta my ass all the time.

Shit.

Colonel Faust in Corby's with the ice pick.

Comment

Originally posted by TDHeysus View Post
                                                          Blitzing is like cake...its nice once in awhile after a meal on special occasions. Its not meant to be had as the main course for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.
                                                          Much like Cognac.

Every down is too much of a good thing. It winds up doing damage and proving far too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by tankjeep View Post
                                                            since when did a deer learn some football knowledge??
                                                            I've never heard of it happening.

All my deer friends suffer from incontinence while sitting on people's roofs.

Yes dshans, I got it, and sharted. Brokenhearted. See what you started?

Comment

Who the hell is Tenutu?

Comment

Ohh!! I know!!! He is a person created by Lovecraft that is the ultimate destroyer of the world!!!

Comment

Haha i just noticed that

Tenutu is Weiss' d coordinator

Comment

juson-h537 do you have a highly placed sorced?

Comment

I was talking to a buddy of mine last night (huge ND fan), who probably knows more about football than anybody I know. We were talking about the ND game (first one we didn't watch together), and he started raving about Tenuta. I'm like, WTF, did you watch the same game?

His point was that he LOVED the fact that the defense is always attempting to put pressure on the QB, but that it was completely obvious that our linebackers are SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWW. Very slow.

So I watched the game again, and he's absolutely right. We all know that T. Smith is a hard-worker, but he is too slow. B. Smith is not overly quick, and even worse, he has no clue how to blitz, and a very smart football coach on the Power Hour Tonight ripped B. Smith for his lack of blitzing prowess. The reason the blitzes seem like they take so long to get there is because the LBs aren't fast. At all. Te'o has the quicks, but he's not playing as much right now, and he's still a freshman.

So, it's on Tenuta to change the scheme to fit his personnel, or put more athletic LB's like Te'o and Filer in there (Fleming plays DE, but also lines up at LB, but that gives us a hole at DE). Last year, Harrison Smith saw the field out of position because Tenuta said the best 11 need to be on the field. Well, then let's get the top 11 players on the field, because what we're doing right now just ain't working. And Washington and USC will be licking their chops if we continue to play D the way we are.

And please, can I get me some Sergio Brown that I saw in the Hawaii Bowl? He's been horrible when he blitzes as well. I haven't seen the playmaker that I saw last year.

Having said that...thank God we won Saturday!!! Let's get a big win vs. Purdue and get some momentum going into UW...
                                                                      sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                        I was talking to a buddy of mine last night (huge ND fan), who probably knows more about football than anybody I know. We were talking about the ND game (first one we didn't watch together), and he started raving about Tenuta. I'm like, WTF, did you watch the same game?

His point was that he LOVED the fact that the defense is always attempting to put pressure on the QB, but that it was completely obvious that our linebackers are SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWW. Very slow.

So I watched the game again, and he's absolutely right. We all know that T. Smith is a hard-worker, but he is too slow. B. Smith is not overly quick, and even worse, he has no clue how to blitz, and a very smart football coach on the Power Hour Tonight ripped B. Smith for his lack of blitzing prowess. The reason the blitzes seem like they take so long to get there is because the LBs aren't fast. At all. Te'o has the quicks, but he's not playing as much right now, and he's still a freshman.

So, it's on Tenuta to change the scheme to fit his personnel, or put more athletic LB's like Te'o and Filer in there (Fleming plays DE, but also lines up at LB, but that gives us a hole at DE). Last year, Harrison Smith saw the field out of position because Tenuta said the best 11 need to be on the field. Well, then let's get the top 11 players on the field, because what we're doing right now just ain't working. And Washington and USC will be licking their chops if we continue to play D the way we are.

And please, can I get me some Sergio Brown that I saw in the Hawaii Bowl? He's been horrible when he blitzes as well. I haven't seen the playmaker that I saw last year.

Having said that...thank God we won Saturday!!! Let's get a big win vs. Purdue and get some momentum going into UW...
                                                                        You really are a fan of the Black Ghost... aren't you LA?

Comment

A simple cross blitz with the MLB and NG works wonders. A simple cross with the OLB and 5 technique can work wonders.

Comment

A simple cross blitz with the MLB and NG works wonders. A simple cross with the OLB and 5 technique can work wonders.
                                                                            That would be our "Micky" blitz for the HS team I coach.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              :)
                                                                              Last edited by NeuteredDoomer; 09-22-2009, 06:40 AM. Reason: :)

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Our D-Line has not shown up yet. The D is still not getting production from the front 4. Has anyone from our D-Line gotten a sack? Without this group dominating the line of scrimmage our D is going to continue to be average.
                                                                                BillyIrish, so true...

When our DB's are leading the team in tackles there's an issue...

Tenuta is probably a decent Defensive coordinator for FBS aka Div.1 football but he's an ACC coach completely different level of talent (note his alma mater VA and Duke here) and granted he's only been at ND for 2 years...it sucks to say were rebuilding but F*sake we have be rebuilding for far too long...there was a time when ND football reloaded and not rebuild its football program. At some point ND football offensively and defensively has to stop being mediocre

WHERE IS OUR DLINE...

ANSWER TO BILLYIRISH question:
                                                                                Fleming sometimes lines up on the line as a rush end but he's not a DL he's a LB!!! and Ryan a true DE is the only DL to have a sack in 3 games....1 sack in 3 games from your Defensive Line?????? that's POOR, no matter what level of ball you play. Our only pressure comes from blitzing linebackers.

Tenuta needs to get ALL of his Defensive coaches on the same page, because Coach Randy Hart is slacking and it shows. But the defense is tenuta's responsibility and right now his defensive line is like swiss cheese. huh...yeah I said it swiss cheese...holes...and stinks.

COACH the FUNDAMENTALS! and we should be fine on both sides of the ball.
                                                                                “Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated.”

“Ask people over the last 20 years who has won the most Commander-in-Chief's Trophies. Tradition always is under construction. People don't look at what happened in the 1940s. They look at what's happening today.”

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  What I think I noticed in this last game was that DLine seemed to do what it was told to. (I have watched no film or replays, just a single view of each play as it happened). Seems to me to be a coaching thing. And ND is 2-1 vs. 5 opponents in 3 games.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    juson-h537 do you have a highly placed sorced?
                                                                                    midwestguy is my source

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post

Alot of it is fundamentals. Watching the Michigan and MSU game there were missed tackles at the line before some of those long runs. I LOOOVE Brian Smith, he does have speed but he can not get off blocks when he is blitzing. Toryan is our best option at MLB right now because he knows the defense. It would be great to see Filer, Te'o, or A-Mac get on the field because they are better athletes but they just are not ready.

I said this in another post but alot of people jump on Tenuta because he has betterathletes at Notre Dame and does not get results. At Georgia Tech he had 2-3 years to develop players in the system and technique before they saw the field. The defense is about 2 years behind the offense in talent. Alot of the guys we need to step up are only in their second year and are gonna have growing pains.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Im not a fan of this defensive scheme at all. Its hanging our DBs out to dry. Sure if we were getting pressure on the QB then it would be different but were not. Drop the linebackers back into coverage to stop the underneath. It would also stop us from getting gashed up the middle by the run because our linebackers wouldnt be coming off the corners on the blitz. The defensive line also needs more coaching on how to pass rush. Do they not coach the swim move to the ends?

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Welcome to IE IrishWV

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                          X