Path to the CFP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

I think they're mostly on par with Georgia offenses of the past few years. Their defense has obviously taken a large step forward in becoming elite. I think Georgia would be a heavy heavy favorite against ND rightfully so, but I'd feel better having an outside shot vs a team with a great defense instead of a historic offense. At least gives you a punchers chance.

Also Georgia likes to melt in big time situations. That could be helpful too.
    Jack Coan, Quinn's OL and our current WR depth playing UGA would be far worse than what UVA experienced this past weekend against ND.

I generally agree with you, that for ND, keeping scoring low is usually a better indication of potential victory in big games versus getting into a shoot out. But this current ND team has neither an imposing defense nor an imposing offense. Even the past few weeks when ND has found success, it's usually because someone makes an obscenely athletic individual play against less talented teams. UVA was a HORRIBLE defense and ND made it look really hard.

Yes, the offense has improved, but it's still severely limited by a QB who isn't comfortable waiting for plays to develop (can't blame him given what Quinn has done this year) and isn't mobile enough to create time. Honestly, that is why it's a travesty that Buchner isn't playing more than he is, and when he is playing, is being used like Denard Robinson. ND's path forward is TB being balanced. As it stands, his first real experience in being balanced will be in Columbus to open 2022. Yikes.

Comment

• I think Ala beats Ga both get in and its the same ole bull@*$# like every year-and I dont want Notre Dame in the playoff just to get wasted again by either team-I m ok with just a great bowl game but what bothers me more than anything is why college football has been allowed to morph into this have and have not situation. Even in the past -60's 70's 80's etc every year at the beginning there would be 15 teams that could win a National champions ship today those teams are just by lines. SC/UCLA/NEB/OKLA/COL/PENN STATE/TEXAS/ARK/MICH/OHIO ST/PITT/MIAMI/PURDUE/MICH ST/ all these blue bloods rendered meaningless because one conference has pretty well been allowed to damn well do as they please. Even SYRACUSE had a run.
      Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post

Jack Coan, Quinn's OL and our current WR depth playing UGA would be far worse than what UVA experienced this past weekend against ND.

I generally agree with you, that for ND, keeping scoring low is usually a better indication of potential victory in big games versus getting into a shoot out. But this current ND team has neither an imposing defense nor an imposing offense. Even the past few weeks when ND has found success, it's usually because someone makes an obscenely athletic individual play against less talented teams. UVA was a HORRIBLE defense and ND made it look really hard.

Yes, the offense has improved, but it's still severely limited by a QB who isn't comfortable waiting for plays to develop (can't blame him given what Quinn has done this year) and isn't mobile enough to create time. Honestly, that is why it's a travesty that Buchner isn't playing more than he is, and when he is playing, is being used like Denard Robinson. ND's path forward is TB being balanced. As it stands, his first real experience in being balanced will be in Columbus to open 2022. Yikes.
        Good comparison. Which is bad for TB.
        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by irishtrain View Post
          I think Ala beats Ga both get in and its the same ole bull@*$# like every year-and I dont want Notre Dame in the playoff just to get wasted again by either team-I m ok with just a great bowl game but what bothers me more than anything is why college football has been allowed to morph into this have and have not situation. Even in the past -60's 70's 80's etc every year at the beginning there would be 15 teams that could win a National champions ship today those teams are just by lines. SC/UCLA/NEB/OKLA/COL/PENN STATE/TEXAS/ARK/MICH/OHIO ST/PITT/MIAMI/PURDUE/MICH ST/ all these blue bloods rendered meaningless because one conference has pretty well been allowed to damn well do as they please. Even SYRACUSE had a run.
          First bolded - Right now, both polls, the playoff committee, and most power rankings have Georgia and Bama 1 & 2. Virtually all of the experts and knowledgeable fans who've watched them play also think they're the two best teams in the country. If they meet in the SECCG and it's a close game, would there be any reason to think they weren't still the two best teams? I get that you and lots of other people are tired of the same teams in the playoffs, but it's about putting the best teams in, not the best who haven't been in awhile, nor giving the also-rans a chance. It's their job to hire better coaches, recruit better, execute better, and get better. Don't forget, it hasn't been that long since both Georgia and Bama were far from being elite and teams like USC and Florida and Texas were the top programs. Bama & Georgia (and a few others) worked hard, made the right hires, and earned their way to the top.

Second bolded - What, exactly, has the SEC been allowed to do that is against the rules or that other conferences have been prohibited from doing? Recruit better? Develop better? Hire better coaches?

Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

First bolded - Right now, both polls, the playoff committee, and most power rankings have Georgia and Bama 1 & 2. Virtually all of the experts and knowledgeable fans who've watched them play also think they're the two best teams in the country. If they meet in the SECCG and it's a close game, would there be any reason to think they weren't still the two best teams? I get that you and lots of other people are tired of the same teams in the playoffs, but it's about putting the best teams in, not the best who haven't been in awhile, nor giving the also-rans a chance. It's their job to hire better coaches, recruit better, execute better, and get better. Don't forget, it hasn't been that long since both Georgia and Bama were far from being elite and teams like USC and Florida and Texas were the top programs. Bama & Georgia (and a few others) worked hard, made the right hires, and earned their way to the top.

Second bolded - What, exactly, has the SEC been allowed to do that is against the rules or that other conferences have been prohibited from doing? Recruit better? Develop better? Hire better coaches?
            I am so sick and tired of this argument used by the pundits and the committee….

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE THE BEST TEAM. National championships are not given to the most talented team, they are awarded to who earn them. Georgia is one of the most talented teams I’ve seen in college football, if they lose back to back games to end the year should they just be slotted in because of their talent? Why play the games then. We can just award championships based off of 247’s rolling composite team rankings after each class signs.

This “are they the best or most talented team” argument is just a back door policy to keep out Cinci and other group of 5 school, or hell, anyone who might dame the playoff revenue like a Wake forest.

You don’t get what you deserve, you get what you earn.
            .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• I do think expanding the playoff is a good thing for college football, but it is at the expense of a lot of tradition with the bowl games. It also takes away the “every game matters” that has been a staple of college football for so long.

I do think it will increase parody in the sport. A crazy fact:

Since 2006 there have only been four coaches not named Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, or Dabo Sweeney to win a national championship. Those coaches are Gene Chizik,, Les Miles, Ed Orgeron, and Jimbo Fisher. None of these coaches have went on to win a second title. After this year, none of these coaches will be at the school where they won. Two of those dudes aren’t even great coaches IMO(Chizik, Orgeron).

Crazy to think over the last 15 years three coaches are responsible for 11 national championships.

Comment

• Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post

In that case it's likely
                1) Bama
                2) Ohio St
                3) Georgia
                4) Cincy

This is assuming Oregon loses again and Big 12 cannibalize themselves, both of which I believe are likely.
                Cincy could lose to SMU or Houston and we would jump them. If OSU lost to Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game then we don’t need Oregon to lose
                but a loss to Utah this weekend would be nice.

SEC let’s their players do less as a student and their is a code to look the other way in the South for CFB.

Comment

• Originally posted by phillyirish View Post

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE THE BEST TEAM. National championships are not given to the most talented team, they are awarded to who earn them. Georgia is one of the most talented teams I’ve seen in college football, if they lose back to back games to end the year should they just be slotted in because of their talent? Why play the games then. We can just award championships based off of 247’s rolling composite team rankings after each class signs.

This “are they the best or most talented team” argument is just a back door policy to keep out Cinci and other group of 5 school, or hell, anyone who might dame the playoff revenue like a Wake forest.

This is so on point man. Right on! The games should matter.

Comment

If Georgia lost back to back games they wouldn't make the playoffs. The argument is if they only lost the SEC championship game. They would deserve to be in over any other one loss team. Who has a better resume than 12-1 with a loss to the then #1 team?

Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
                    Cincy could lose to SMU or Houston and we would jump them. If OSU lost to Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game then we don't need Oregon to lose
                    but a loss to Utah this weekend would be nice.

SEC let's their players do less as a student and their is a code to look the other way in the South for CFB.
                    I think Oregon losing 1 out of 2 to Utah is more likely than OSU losing to Wisconsin, but I'll happily take either.

Comment

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE THE BEST TEAM. National championships are not given to the most talented team, they are awarded to who earn them. Georgia is one of the most talented teams I've seen in college football, if they lose back to back games to end the year should they just be slotted in because of their talent? Why play the games then. We can just award championships based off of 247’s rolling composite team rankings after each class signs.

What are you even talking about? Who said anything about putting anyone in the playoffs just based on how talented their roster is? Nobody said anything about giving anyone a national championship based on talent instead of winning it on the field. Who said anything about letting anyone in with back-to-back losses or even two losses? We all understand that on-the-field performance is what matters. If that's what you got from my post, you misread it completely.
                      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

What are you even talking about? Who said anything about putting anyone in the playoffs just based on how talented their roster is? Nobody said anything about giving anyone a national championship based on talent instead of winning it on the field. Who said anything about letting anyone in with back-to-back losses or even two losses? We all understand that on-the-field performance is what matters. If that's what you got from my post, you misread it completely.
                        You did. You said if Bama lost a close SECCG they should be in. Would that not be two losses?

You also just said “winning it on the field” yet you want a 2-loss Bama in over an undefeated Cincy. Why, because they pass the “eye-test”?

The CFP should not be about putting the “best” 4 teams in the playoffs bc that is too subjective. It should be about putting the best 4 that EARNED the right to be there. 2 losses, IMO, automatically takes you out of the running unless there are not enough undefeated or 1-loss teams. Otherwise, the regular season is meaningless.

Comment

• Originally posted by dad4aa View Post

You did. You said if Bama lost a close SECCG they should be in. Would that not be two losses?

You also just said “winning it on the field” yet you want a 2-loss Bama in over an undefeated Cincy. Why, because they pass the “eye-test”?

The CFP should not be about putting the “best” 4 teams in the playoffs bc that is too subjective. It should be about putting the best 4 that EARNED the right to be there. 2 losses, IMO, automatically takes you out of the running unless there are not enough undefeated or 1-loss teams. Otherwise, the regular season is meaningless.
                          I wasn't talking of Bama getting in if they lost the SECCG. I was referring to Georgia, which was what the original OP said would happen if Bama beat them. The CFP should be 100% about putting the best 4 teams in! That's EXACTLY what it was set up for and the committee mandated to do. It's what their mission is. It's what they've said they're trying their best to do every single year! It's not about prettiest resume or most deserving or best TV draw or best 4 conference champions or anything else other than the 4 best teams as determined by a committee of experts. Since all 130 or so teams don't play each other every year, there's no way to accurately decide the best 4 strictly on W-L against each other. There has to be some subjective judgement. You could go with a computer system, but which criteria you choose for your algorithm and how each is weighted is still quite subjective and we saw the problems with that during the BCS era. The committee has made it abundantly clear that their goal is to determine the 4 teams most likely to beat anyone else on a neutral field, and that they use a LOT of different criteria to determine that, not just one or two narrow, no context, data points, which is what way too many in this forum do.

Comment

15 years for Alabama. I'd say that's been a while.

Comment

• "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• That shows that they are completely devaluing Cincy's win over us like Oregon's over OSU. In both cases, I think the losing team is better than the team that won, but at the end of the day what are talking about here? Why even play the game if in the end it totally holds no clout to the committee. It's absolutely ridiculous to think that we'd get in over Cincy if they end up undefeated and for OSU to get in and be ranked over Oregon if both end up with 1 loss. This committee has totally fudged up the system. They need to go to the new format asap.
                                Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Our win over UVA actually helped us tremendously in the "advanced" stats as they don't take into account things like Armstrong being out.

Our FPI ranking jumped to #9 from #14 and our strength of record is up to #3. Can't find an updated SP+ or F+ rankings yet but imagine we made big strides their as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                    Does this mean we have a shot?
                                    Check out my blog building4thefuture.blogspot.com. Its all sports. Irish, NFL DRAFT PROSPECT PREVIEWS, Mets, Mavericks, and Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                      Looks promising

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

15 years for Alabama. I'd say that's been a while.
                                        I'm in my 60's. 15 years doesn't seem very long. The Shula and DuBose years still seem almost recent. I remember seeing Namath play while he was still in college. That's how old I am!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mavericknyc1980 View Post

Does this mean we have a shot?
                                          *sigh* yes...

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                            That shows that they are completely devaluing Cincy's win over us like Oregon's over OSU. In both cases, I think the losing team is better than the team that won, but at the end of the day what are talking about here? Why even play the game if in the end it totally holds no clout to the committee. It's absolutely ridiculous to think that we'd get in over Cincy if they end up undefeated and for OSU to get in and be ranked over Oregon if both end up with 1 loss. This committee has totally fudged up the system. They need to go to the new format asap.
                                            I'll keep banging this drum until my hands hurt. The idea that we want the four best teams is ludicrous. We obviously, obviously want the four most deserving teams. The result of a close game doesn't have much effect on who would be favored on a neutral field next week (best team) but has a ton of effect on who has the best resume. If you just want the four best teams you can almost just lock in the playoff on signing day.

Comment

• I would say the one loss team that gets in should have an evaluation of their loss and when it occurred and to who and how they have bounced back since that loss. I think we currently have an argument for the best loss if there is such a thing (and there is) and Oregon has the worst loss to Stanford. Let’s hope the dominoes fall our way because if we win out we should be really close to getting in or in. #3 is just so much better than #4 assuming GA is still #1. Looking for all around team dominance these last two games. I think green Jerseys for senior day would be a nice reward for a team that has so far exceeded most peoples expectations (not mine). We definitely jump a one loss Cincy and get in over a two loss Bama. What makes me nervous is Ok State winning out and jumping us.

At least our boys have held up their end of this bargain to keep this thread alive by winning every week since I started it. Despite my dislike for so many reps for Coan we have done great when you consider all the injuries to this squad. Guys like me want more lopsided wins but Kelly has earned his big bucks. 11-12 wins was not predicted by many out there. Maybe goons like Herbie will stop underestimating us.

Comment

• Originally posted by House16 View Post

I'll keep banging this drum until my hands hurt. The idea that we want the four best teams is ludicrous. We obviously, obviously want the four most deserving teams. The result of a close game doesn't have much effect on who would be favored on a neutral field next week (best team) but has a ton of effect on who has the best resume. If you just want the four best teams you can almost just lock in the playoff on signing day.
                                                Best teams can be heavily influenced with bias etc... agreed it should be most deserving. This shouldn't be hard.
                                                There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

Comment

• Beating GT and Stanford is the only path ND can control. After that you sit back and see what happens. Somebody ahead of them is going to lose one way or the other. It is a matter of who and when.

I endorse chaos everywhere but in South Bend and Palo Alto this month.
                                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• NDs path to the National Championship game.

1. ND finishes the season at 11-1.
                                                    2. The Oklahoma lose moves ND up to #8.
                                                    3. Oregon looses to Utah moving ND up to #7.
                                                    4. OSU beats both UM & MSU moving ND up to #5.
                                                    5. Wisconsin beats OSU in the Big10 championship game moving ND up to #4.
                                                    6. Georgia beats Bama in the SEC championship game moving ND up to #3.
                                                    7. ND beats #2 Cincy in the 1st round of the playoffs moving ND to the championship game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IRISHMAN View Post
                                                      NDs path to the National Championship game.

7. ND beats #2 Cincy in the 1st round of the playoffs moving ND to the championship game.
                                                      The committee is allowed to re-seed in order to avoid rematches. They may not do it for a game played back on October 2nd but there's not enough precedent to know.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers, man.
                                                        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Thoughts and prayers, man.
                                                          I agree, it's unlikely but OSU has been far from great in the title game and Wiscy has looked like a different team the last few weeks. Wiscy has played them tough the last couple times they played them in the BIG title game too. I think OSU was down double digits at half in 2019, and Wiscy shit their pants in the 4th quarter. NW played tough against them last year and OSU pulled away in the 2nd half. Those OSU teams look better than this one and it's been a wild year. Wouldn't count on it but who knows.

Comment

NDs path to the National Championship game.

yeah this is probably the one scenario that may not come true but the rest seem to be possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

The committee is allowed to re-seed in order to avoid rematches. They may not do it for a game played back on October 2nd but there's not enough precedent to know.
                                                              Yes but the question for the committee becomes who do you want to have your national championship game.

In the scenario above I would imagine the final four would look like Georgia, Cincy, ND, Oregon.

Georgia vs ND is the clear runaway leader for biggest draw. Georgia Oregon second. ND Oregon third anything including cincy from there on.

Doubtful they want a rematch of ND cincy in champion ship. You can guarantee that by putting them in a semi. You can guarantee ND/Oregon in final if you put them in semifinal.

So would committee just absolutely baptize Cincy by making them #4 over a team they beat and send them to play Georgia first round in a rematch of last years Peach Bowl and guarantee themselves one of ND/Oregon while risking potential ND Cincy rematch in the Natty?

Or would you take a risk and try and set up a Georgia ND match up? Georgia vs Oregon and ND vs Cincy? This could give you a even less favorable Cincy in the national championship and forever fuel the non power 5 talk as well.

Something makes me think in any scenario Cincy is in the final four they are getting the top seed.

THey could rest on the fact that we beat Wisconsin neutral site who just won the BIG against OSU who lost to Oregon.
                                                              Prehistoric

Comment

• I feel like the most likely scenario is Bama beats UGA and OSU wins out. So all three are in and that leaves one spot for Oregon, Cincy, ND. Oregon is going to lose to Utah one out of the two times they play.

And the committee is going to have to pick ND vs. Cincinnati. Yikes lol.
                                                                Formerly known as Kellyisit

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                                                  I feel like the most likely scenario is Bama beats UGA and OSU wins out. So all three are in and that leaves one spot for Oregon, Cincy, ND. Oregon is going to lose to Utah one out of the two times they play.

And the committee is going to have to pick ND vs. Cincinnati. Yikes lol.
                                                                  i agree those 3 seem likely. conventional wisdom says you have to pick cincy with the head to head and with ND being "independent" they cant really talk power 5 conf vs non. If they picked ND in this scenario it is going to be based on "recent play eye test" where weve been beating up on chumps and Cincy has not looked great vs their own non power 5 conf.

regardless i think they would see it as an opportunity to let a non power 5 in, face Georgia and get pulverized ending this discussion.
                                                                  Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

i agree those 3 seem likely. conventional wisdom says you have to pick cincy with the head to head and with ND being "independent" they cant really talk power 5 conf vs non. If they picked ND in this scenario it is going to be based on "recent play eye test" where weve been beating up on chumps and Cincy has not looked great vs their own non power 5 conf.

regardless i think they would see it as an opportunity to let a non power 5 in, face Georgia and get pulverized ending this discussion.
                                                                    I think I have heard that the committee doesn't have to abide by head-to-head, but if all else is equal, they will. So, is all else equal between ND and Cincinnati? Probably is pretty close honestly. This might be the year that no conference championship gets us.
                                                                    Formerly known as Kellyisit

Comment

• I really don't think the committee wants a G5 school in the playoffs. If it comes down to ND or Cinci I truly believe that ND would get the nod. I know ND lost to them, but the committee obviously doesn't care about that (see Michigan/Michigan State).

Comment

• I know it's not the same team or circumstance but it was literally just this past January that Cincy was up 21-10 against UGA heading into the 4th qtr and gave up 14 unanswered points to lose by 3. I think if Cincy runs the table, they deserve the chance to play in the CFP. Maybe they get pulverized or maybe they put up the best fight Georgia has seen since last January when they played.....Cincinnati.

I don't see a way ND gets in over Cincy if it comes down to choosing between those two teams given the head-to-head status. However, SOS might play a role and if so, Cincy doesn't stand a chance against ND in that regard. Eye test favors ND as well considering ND has been playing much better since it's loss to Cincy. Meanwhile, Cincy has looked pretty pedestrian against some pretty lousy opponents. I think Cincy would ultimately be the pick, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Money and ratings talk.

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                                                                          I know it's not the same team or circumstance but it was literally just this past January that Cincy was up 21-10 against UGA heading into the 4th qtr and gave up 14 unanswered points to lose by 3. I think if Cincy runs the table, they deserve the chance to play in the CFP. Maybe they get pulverized or maybe they put up the best fight Georgia has seen since last January when they played.....Cincinnati.

I don't see a way ND gets in over Cincy if it comes down to choosing between those two teams given the head-to-head status. However, SOS might play a role and if so, Cincy doesn't stand a chance against ND in that regard. Eye test favors ND as well considering ND has been playing much better since it's loss to Cincy. Meanwhile, Cincy has looked pretty pedestrian against some pretty lousy opponents. I think Cincy would ultimately be the pick, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Money and ratings talk.
                                                                          The Committee literally just ranked Michigan ahead of Michigan State NINE days after Michigan State beat Michigan on the field. Nine Days! The committee thinks Michigan is the better team....

Comment

• Originally posted by NDohio View Post

The Committee literally just ranked Michigan ahead of Michigan State NINE days after Michigan State beat Michigan on the field. Nine Days! The committee thinks Michigan is the better team....
                                                                            Or will bring more eye balls, money,... etc...
                                                                            There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post

Or will bring more eye balls, money,... etc...
                                                                              Yep. Just like ND over Cinci.

Comment

Michigan lost by 4 in East Lansing, with some conspicuously shoddy review work by the officials. We got beat up at home. These things are not alike.

Comment

Yep. Just like ND over Cinci.
                                                                                  Yep, and it's bullshit... I'm for taking our shots, playoff or not,... but as objectively as I can,... Cinci and MSU should be in over us and scUM if all remains as it is... this whole thing is stupid imo.

Comment

• I think Michigan just might beat Ohio State this year. Their defense is legit and I can see them scoring on a couple of flukey ref aided plays at home. I tried to deny it but they are good this year.

Comment

• You can't put ND over Cinci based on the game nuance. It's not like we lost by 3, we lost by 11 and at home. There is a place to put a losing team over the winning team but unfortunately our first half was an absolute blunder, removing any opportunity to put us ahead of Cinci.

Comment

• ND and Cincy making the playoff means essentially two at-large bids, leaving Power 5 Conferences out. I can't think of a scenario where this could happen even if it were the correct thing to do. The Power 5 run college football, they're going to get theirs no matter what.

Comment

• Undefeated Cincy getting snubbed would be highway robbery. Snubbed with ND making it in would be just dirty.

I don't think Oregon deserves to get in even if they win out. OSU was not great early and still weaker than normal - Stanford loss is damn near unforgivable. That said, I expect them to lose another game and make this easy.

B1G winner should get a spot BUT high probability of 2 losses for all could be a disqualifier. Hard to see a one loss B1G winner being odd man out. I think OSU drops one of the next two - no clue how that tie breaker works for the western division but I think MSU beating OSU then losing to PSU is the highest probability for creating the path forward. Of course OSU will destroy Michigan - it is rule and stuff, if not they still have good shot at crapping the bed vs. Badgers or Hawkeyes.

Bama should only get in if they beat UGA - SEC knows this and I expect serious hijinks in the SEC CCG to benefit Bama.

Big 12 is toast - Choklahoma has another loss in them and OSU won't have enough gas to over the CFP hump assuming they aren't peaking past that T-Tech road game this weekend. Like the Pac12 - weak ass conference destroys strength of schedule.

Cincy shouldn't lose but SMU and Houston aren't going to lay down for them either.

So my order of most likely to be eliminated:

1) Oregon (may not control their destiny anyway)
                                                                                          2) Bama (controls their destiny)
                                                                                          3) B1G (three teams control their destiny but mutually exclusive)
                                                                                          4) Cincy (should control their destiny)

All four of those win out and we should be #6, IMO.

My super stupid worst case ND scenario : Buckeyes lose to both MSU and Michigan to undermine Oregon's only quality win - then Badgers win B1G. Then Bama wins SEC CCG for #1Bama vs #4 ND, #2 Cincy vs #3 UGA playoff. Saban gets a month to game plan on us and we get rewarded with playing the best team in CFB in UGA if we somehow survive.

Comment

• Originally posted by dankgesang View Post

Michigan lost by 4 in East Lansing, with some conspicuously shoddy review work by the officials. We got beat up at home. These things are not alike.
                                                                                            I agree that rational thinking would put Cinci in over ND. We have enough history now to know the committee is not rational. I believe it is all going to work itself out with plenty of losses still up in the air for teams in contention for CFP however, if both Cinci and ND end up winning out and the final spot comes down to those two teams I believe ND gets in. I'll put all my V-Bucks on it!

Things that matter: money, name recognition, strength of schedule, ratings, fans in the stands, head to head...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
                                                                                              I think Michigan just might beat Ohio State this year. Their defense is legit and I can see them scoring on a couple of flukey ref aided plays at home. I tried to deny it but they are good this year.
                                                                                              I'm thinking OSU gets caught looking ahead to scUM and drops to MSU next weekend. Quite the grind to finish the season for them. They weren't getting fooled by Purdue again - can they focus on MSU with a trip to the Big House coming down the pike?

Comment

• Originally posted by dankgesang View Post

Kenneth Walker III ran for 5 TDs to say Michigan was or is the better team is suspect based on what?

You can't put ND over Cinci based on the game nuance. It's not like we lost by 3, we lost by 11 and at home. There is a place to put a losing team over the winning team but unfortunately our first half was an absolute blunder, removing any opportunity to put us ahead of Cinci.
                                                                                                The committee has said it doesn't matter. Who is the better team, NOW. ND should have won that game and they would win a rematch.

I think Michigan just might beat Ohio State this year. Their defense is legit and I can see them scoring on a couple of flukey ref aided plays at home. I tried to deny it but they are good this year.
                                                                                                OSU, regardless of their status wants to embarass UM every year, this year will be no exception.

Comment

I'm in my 60's. 15 years doesn't seem very long. The Shula and DuBose years still seem almost recent. I remember seeing Namath play while he was still in college. That's how old I am!
                                                                                                  I'm 69. Not buying it!

Comment

In my defense, I said I don't see a way they put ND in ahead of Cincy and then proceeded to literally list three ways they could validate that decision: SOS, eye test (ND has looked better, Cincy has looked pedestrian since that game in South Bend), money/ratings.

I also don't give a flying F about MSU or UM and have felt both of those teams are overrated and should be behind ND (and they will once they both lose to OSU). The committee is clearly putting value in the timing and the quality of loss (UM blew a lead and barely lost to a ranked MSU while MSU has an embarrassing loss to unranked Purdue). You say NINE DAYS!! but there was a game played during that stretch. Michigan won and MSU lost, hence the flip in rankings. All of these hypotheticals are for Cincy and ND winning out. It's not apples to apples w/ what the committee just did to UM and MSU. It's going to be hard for the committee to place undefeated Cincy w/ a win over top 10 ranked ND behind the exact team they've already beaten. There is a path for them to do so, but I'm just not holding my breath.

*This is moot because Cincy might lose to SMU or Houston still and we can all cheers to the decision being easy in the way of ND.

Comment

• Originally posted by phork View Post

Kenneth Walker III ran for 5 TDs to say Michigan was or is the better team is suspect based on what?

The committee has said it doesn't matter. Who is the better team, NOW. ND should have won that game and they would win a rematch.

OSU, regardless of their status wants to embarass UM every year, this year will be no exception.
                                                                                                      Agree. I don't think Sparty has the horses to pull off the upset, unless they can run all day long and get constant pressure on the QB.

ND and Cincy win out to finish the season. If you think the haters hate ND now, imagine the uproar if the committee puts ND in over Cincy. Oh my goodness!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X