No announcement yet.

Post Game: Virginia Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 OL starters besides LG took all 73 snap. Correll took 11 before Kristofic 62. The 4 OL starters besides LG all had GOOD run blocking grades, led by JP. Alt, Madden, and Kristofic middle of the pack pass block grades, Lugg and Patterson good. 1 sack allowed by Alt, 1 pressure allowed each by Patterson and Kristofic.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
      1. Alt + Kristofic the rest of the year.
      2. Need to go up tempo with Coan or not play him at all.
      3. Buchner should play if healthy in order to build for the future.
      4. I love the way the team supports each other and keeps battling even though this is by far the worst team we’ve had in a very long time.
      I think I posted this earlier about Coan. When the offense is in uptempo/2 minute drill offense he is so good and so sharp. Lead the team down the field for the TD and game winning FG with ease.

Comment

I also want to add throw the damn ball to Takcas, I think he was only targeted once and it was a big 15 yard gain. I get it Mayer was out but Takcas was open at times and he can make plays!

Comment

Tyler shows promise but is still raw. He keeps throwing his body around he won’t last long. Coan has Rees Syndrome. Just like Tommy he thinks too much. He needs to be more instinctual. In the hurry up, he becomes more instinctual and is a better version of himself. Austin is beginning to show his potential. Will be great when he and the baby gronk are on the field. Kyren makes those around him better. He is so much more than a tailback. VT special teams > our special teams.

Comment

OL gave up 2 sacks early, 1 coan walked into, and then played great the rest of the game.

Coan is Rees, he's a statue but when it comes down to the wire he makes the right decisions to win the game.

Kyren was amazing.
            What happened to Tyree?
            Austin came in clutch

Defense was a little shakey, but I think VT was just making great plays

Bracy made them pay for picking on him all game.

This was the game everyone said we would lose at the beginning of the season. I don't care how they did it, they got the W in a hostile, roller-coaster, emotional game. I'm proud of them.
            Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog!

Comment

The officials missed blatant face masks on both the Austin conversion and the Kyren targeting play. Idk if the league office will come down on them since it was just Notre Dame but they had an awful day
              Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Wonder if the officiating being worse is in response to Hamilton’s quote on the podcast. Overall, ever since the ACC officiating crew has been running the show it’s been all bad. Last year officiating wasn’t as bad. Was that coincidence ND was a member of the ACC. Probably not. Hard not to be biased when the conference is signing your checks I would suppose.

Comment

Postgame Thoughts:
                  1) Austin had the play of the game, bad throw by Coan, and Austin makes a heck of a catch.
                  2) The QB rollercoaster ride will be all year, I think the rest of the way we play with 2 QB's every game.
                  3) I am still not sold on Buchner yet- he is getting the experience, he has other skills that Coan doesn't have, his ceiling is high, but I am still searching for that IT factor with him.
                  4) Coan to the rescue...I'll say it again COAN TO THE RESCUE. I don't think ND scores if Buchner is playing in that last possession. Give me experience (Coan) vs. trial & error (Buchner) in that situation. Play up tempo with Coan and don't let your F'ing foot off the gas pedal. It gives our o-line enough time to block and Coan makes accurate throws.
                  5) If Tyree cannot go against USC I like the 1-2 punch of Williams and Diggs.
                  6) Why no Pyne? Seems like the board is in favor of Pyne over Buchner, if you saw the posts or was at last week's game the crowd cheered when Pyne came in and booed when Buchner came in. Right now I am in favor of Pyne over Buchner.
                  7) Besides Hamilton on defense, overall our defense is getting there. I am pleased with Freeman, my biggest takeaway is being the DC for Notre Dame vs. Cincinnati. ND is a different overall animal of a job than Cincy.

We are winning, this team could've lost this game, we could be 3-3 right now. We are 5-1. A well deserved bye week next week is needed.

Go Irish!

Comment

One thing I'd like to see more of if we continue to start coan is to defer at the coin toss. we are slow starters and all it does is kill us in field position and basically losing a possession to start the game.. Start deferring and allowing the offense to settle in and the put more pressure on the defense to get some stops early which is more likely than letting the offense get out to a fast start.
                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Was surprised to see how good the defenses we've faced thus far are rated. Surely made our inevitable growing pains seem much worse than they are. The offense should really come together over the second half of the season against much weaker defenses after some badly needed rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Was surprised to see how good the defenses we've faced thus far are rated. Surely made our inevitable growing pains seem much worse than they are. The offense should really come together over the second half of the season against much weaker defenses after some badly needed rest.
                        We want Bama!!!! Seriously though I agree with this. A little perspective is always warranted.
                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

Perspective is for pussies,.. fire everyone and feel out hiring Urban, I hear he’ll be available soon… storm those freakin beeches,…
                          Last edited by ACamp1900; 10-10-2021, 12:53 PM.
                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

We just need a Middle East consortium to buy us out and set our NIL players up for life. Haha

Comment

Run hurry up with Coan
                              TB can fix the short pass issues and he will break longer runs in the near future.
                              run game improvement has more to do with TB at QB than any other reason. Opens things up.
                              Mayer being out is huge but finally nice catch by Tackas
                              Defense doesn’t like a mobile QB. DBs did not look good this week.

Comment

To visualize Wooly's point, F+ Defenses rankings...

#73 - Florida State
                                #32 - Toledo
                                #34 - Purdue
                                #4 - Wisconsin
                                #6 - Cincinnati
                                #28 - Virginia Tech
                                BYE
                                #68 - Southern Cal
                                #58 - North Carolina
                                #72 - Navy
                                #89 - Virginia
                                #60 - Georgia Tech
                                #83 - Stanford

Assuming injuries don't totally derail this offense, we should see them back to the Florida State game level of production. Isn't Brian Kelly also ridiculously good following a BYE week?

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                  We just need a Middle East consortium to buy us out and set our NIL players up for life. Haha
                                  And in return no more crosses anywhere on campus but Mary is fine ;)

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                    Perspective is for pussies,.. fire everyone and feel out hiring Urban, I hear he’ll be available soon… storm those freakin beeches,…
                                    Urban, Bob Stoops, Chip Kelly. Let's go full 2016 coaching search mode.

Comment

Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
                                      To visualize Wooly's point, F+ Defenses rankings...

#73 - Florida State
                                      #32 - Toledo
                                      #34 - Purdue
                                      #4 - Wisconsin
                                      #6 - Cincinnati
                                      #28 - Virginia Tech
                                      BYE
                                      #68 - Southern Cal
                                      #58 - North Carolina
                                      #72 - Navy
                                      #89 - Virginia
                                      #60 - Georgia Tech
                                      #83 - Stanford

Assuming injuries don't totally derail this offense, we should see them back to the Florida State game level of production. Isn't Brian Kelly also ridiculously good following a BYE week?
                                      Bye week comment has me shook

Comment

Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

Urban, Bob Stoops, Chip Kelly. Let's go full 2016 coaching search mode.
                                        Gruden or bust

Comment

Apologies if already discussed…but what was the post game fight about?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilleIrish View Post
                                            Apologies if already discussed…but what was the post game fight about?
                                            Exit Sandman

Comment

Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post

Bye week comment has me shook
                                              I think USC has a bye as well though

Comment

Why do teams go for 2 early in the game? If I was a VT supporter I’d be pissed they gave away a point, especially after the penalty moved them back.
                                                "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                                                  Why do teams go for 2 early in the game? If I was a VT supporter I’d be pissed they gave away a point, especially after the penalty moved them back.
                                                  Going for 2 after the Buchner pick six was the correct choice at the time. Would have given them a 24-21 lead rather than 23-21. Obviously they should've kicked the extra point after the penalty moved them back but it was the right decision initially. What I don't understand is why they didn't go for it on their last TD. Miss it and you still have a full TD lead at 28-21. Make it and it's a two possession game.

Comment

1) Oline showed improvement, but long ways to go.

2) QB situation is 2012 again.

3) Don't trust this defense at all. Va Tech had no weapons and was able to put long drives together.

4) I miss the 2020 season. The gray hairs continue to grow in numbers on my head.

5) As a pure college football fan, that was the most insane Saturday I've seen at the age of 36. From noon til midnight, I had eyes on TV's and it was worth every minute. Unreal.
                                                    The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                                      1) Oline showed improvement, but long ways to go.

2) QB situation is 2012 again.

3) Don't trust this defense at all. Va Tech had no weapons and was able to put long drives together.

4) I miss the 2020 season. The gray hairs continue to grow in numbers on my head.

5) As a pure college football fan, that was the most insane Saturday I've seen at the age of 36. From noon til midnight, I had eyes on TV's and it was worth every minute. Unreal.
                                                      Agree one hundred percent with #5

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post

Going for 2 after the Buchner pick six was the correct choice at the time. Would have given them a 24-21 lead rather than 23-21. Obviously they should've kicked the extra point after the penalty moved them back but it was the right decision initially. What I don't understand is why they didn't go for it on their last TD. Miss it and you still have a full TD lead at 28-21. Make it and it's a two possession game.
                                                        I disagree. See the same thing happen over and over. Chase the points early and end up paying for it later. Literally cost them the game. Glad they did though.
                                                        "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Late to the party, but to echo quite a few of you…

THAT WAS A FUCKIN’ CULTURE WIN. 2016 ND folds like a lawn chair and is well on its way to 4-8.

This team might get healthy and use their confidence and brotherhood to go 11-1… or things might stay difficult and get worse at some point. But either way, the culture isn’t going to allow a total cratering. That’s awesome.

I really hope Buchner, Mayer and Tyree can get back to 100% before prep begins during USC game week. I just worry that Coan’s 2-minute, brass balls heroics earned him a bunch of slack, and it will cut into Buchner’s opportunities to get involved.

What happens if Alt keeps getting better at LT… move him to RT next year when Fisher is back? Or move Fisher to the right or to the inside like one of those mammoth Bama OG’s?

Comment

This team has weaknesses but damn they’re tough as hell and refuse to lose. We may have finally figured out the Oline shuffling and got our guys so hopeful for improvement to continue.

Buchner has talent that we haven’t had at QB in a long while and those freshman mistakes are going to happen and I’m fine living with them. I bet Kyren was the happiest man alive that the run game was finally functional because the defense had to worry about the QB. If Coan plays, hopefully Rees and Kelly realize it needs to be up-tempo spread with timing throws to keep him in rhythm.

2nd week in a row we give up easy points right before half - how many times does this have to happen before we stop doing stupid prevent?

Some of you from the post game Cincinnati thread owe apologies to Kevin Austin and Buchner. Some of you wanted Austin replaced by Colzie (that pick six was just as much his fault) and called Buchner Andrew Hendrix (LOL).

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

THAT WAS A FUCKIN’ CULTURE WIN. 2016 ND folds like a lawn chair and is well on its way to 4-8.

This team might get healthy and use their confidence and brotherhood to go 11-1… or things might stay difficult and get worse at some point. But either way, the culture isn’t going to allow a total cratering. That’s awesome.

I really hope Buchner, Mayer and Tyree can get back to 100% before prep begins during USC game week. I just worry that Coan’s 2-minute, brass balls heroics earned him a bunch of slack, and it will cut into Buchner’s opportunities to get involved.

What happens if Alt keeps getting better at LT… move him to RT next year when Fisher is back? Or move Fisher to the right or to the inside like one of those mammoth Bama OG’s?
                                                              Fishers mobility post op likely determines his future positionally
                                                              Prehistoric

Comment

The sheiks then consider you 100% Owned. The players would be set up for life or until the first mistake...

Comment

I think USC has a bye as well though
                                                                  For the 3rd week in a row.

Comment

Did Botelho play Saturday night? I don’t remember seeing him or hearing his name called.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

To answer your last question I'd say solidify the edges. Definitely both of them play tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by tko View Post
                                                                        Did Botelho play Saturday night? I don’t remember seeing him or hearing his name called.
                                                                        Yes I saw him in on the goal line and on kickoff team

Comment

Raise your hand if you thought we would be 5-1 at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                            Before the season, I did but after the first two games…….not so much! Happy to be where we are with some aspects of the team trending up but with work to do.

Comment

• #88
                                                                              Originally posted by tko View Post
                                                                              Don’t recall seeing him but saw someone post he was in on goal line defense & ST. Doesnt look like he recorded any stats.

Comment

• #89
                                                                                Didn't realize the number was that big. From The Athletic. Like IrishLion said, a culture win.

the Irish played seven different freshmen on offense on a night when the run game finally produced

Comment

• #90
                                                                                  I did,… and have the prediction thread posts to prove it…………

(I should go into politics shouldn’t I??)
                                                                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• #91
                                                                                    When? Preseason? I actually thought we'd be 6-0. I thought Cinci was beatable -- and they are. Figured we'd drop one to USC or UNC. I'm less concerned about UNC now, but you just never know with USC.

Comment

• #92
                                                                                      Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

When? Preseason? I actually thought we'd be 6-0. I thought Cinci was beatable -- and they are. Figured we'd drop one to USC or UNC. I'm less concerned about UNC now, but you just never know with USC.
                                                                                      If we lose to SCum this year I’ll be totally freakin pissed,…. This is not the year to let them have one, this is the year to body race the living EF out of them

Comment

• #93

If we lose to SCum this year I’ll be totally freakin pissed,…. This is not the year to let them have one, this is the year to body race the living EF out of them
                                                                                        EVERY YEAR is the year to boat race the living F outta them lol, but look into your heart of hearts and tell me you can't see it happening this year...

Comment

• #94

EVERY YEAR is the year to boat race the living F outta them lol, but look into your heart of hearts and tell me you can't see it happening this year...
                                                                                          Fair enough but I’ve watched them a few times and,…. Yeah we SHOULD win big… it’s not us, it’s them

Comment

• #95

Fair enough but I’ve watched them a few times and,…. Yeah we SHOULD win big… it’s not us, it’s them
                                                                                            Sounds good. I'm in!

Comment

• #96

I did,… and have the prediction thread posts to prove it…………

(I should go into politics shouldn’t I??)
                                                                                              Go eat your burrito.

Comment

• #97

Yeah, preseason. IIRC, the general consensus was an 8-4 or 9-3 season wasn't it?

Comment

• #98

Yeah, preseason. IIRC, the general consensus was an 8-4 or 9-3 season wasn't it?
                                                                                                  Yeah I do think a lot of the talking heads had us with a few losses. I didn't see that on the schedule at the time, however.

Comment

• #99
                                                                                                    Anyone else see the Icon video for the VT game?

I wish they played with the same energy they had in the locker room and kelly was yelling.
                                                                                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• We're going to miss the hell out of K. Williams next year.

Coach speak aside, I think BK genuinely loves coaching this team. He looked like a proud papa when Doerer hit the game winner.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X