Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Game: Wisconsin

That was neat.

-My first honest fan take is I wish Gus Johnson did more ND games. Not that am not a MT fan, I am, but GJ is just fun.

-Defense coming together is the big story

-Maybe it’s different when he has time to think about it but Drew should get more of a look, he was so much more crisp than Coan has been.

-Question for anyone who was at the game,… how where the Badger fans? I’ve heard nightmare stories about them from friends and family and am curious,…

-Great freaking win, the score will raise a lot of eyebrows from those who didn’t watch
    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

4th quarter was fun!

If there isn't a bit of a QB controversy, there should be a bit of one. I thought some of the sacks were more on Coan than the o-line. O-line still needs work.

Defense is legit, and improving.
      Admit it. You looked at the avatar first.

Comment

Botelho and more Justin A/Mills felt like the trick in Freeman’s sleeve for the run game. Will be interesting to see the better breakdowns.

Huge confidence game for Cam Hart

Comment

The Badger defense stopped the zone blitzes and crowding the line when Pyne first came in. His little bit of elusiveness appeared to worry them. The line seemed to block a bit better too.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start next week.

Comment

Pyne and the defense made the final score exactly what the OL and Coan SHOULD HAVE, but couldn't.

Comment

Cam was all over the field. Do teams just not throw at Clarence Lewis?

Comment

- Coan is an easy scape goat but the line is horrendous
                - Kyren is going to go down as my favorite player of all time. Pure effort every single play. Our best offensive linemen.
                - Tyree better not a call a fair catch again. That was the play that changed the game.
                - Cam Hart game ball? I’ve been extremely critical of him this year but he was a baller today.
                - Kevin Austin had himself a game. Wisconsin’s only answer for him was interfering
                - Howard Cross was excellent and blew up a few plays.
                - Bertrand with a quiet game but part of that was due to a dominating defensive line effort IMO.
                - Dropped 41 on them despite horrendous officiating.
                - Strange hatred on my end for Paul Chryst and Wisconsin.

4-0.

Comment

Also Bramblett was critical through the first 3 quarters. He should get a game ball

Comment

Great game by the defense. That Tyree kickoff return absolutely killed Wisc’s momentum and the rest was history. Love seeing the defense run up the score.
                    60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

I wonder if Coan is calling the protections and someone else (Patterson?) took over. The line really seemed to improve once he left.

Comment

The D should get the game ball.

Make Freeman sing the fight song.

Comment

Just a general observation that has been true for a while now, but the respect and love the team has for Kelly really shows more every week. Far cry from the Kelly in my avi lol.

Comment

Our defense outscored their offense. That’s all the analysis I’ve got.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                              Our defense outscored their offense. That’s all the analysis I’ve got.
                              Special teams would have as well if Doehrer nailed the first FG.

Comment

Drew Pyne has the legs to escape pressure and this line isn't gonna hold up. Coan's inability to move in the pocket will lose them games if he continues to start imo.

Comment

Strong 2012 vibe from this team. Not so much the production, but the fight, and will in every game.

If the o-line was average this team is the best of the Kelly era IMO.

Defense is turning a corner and making waves.

Pyne seems a bit more savvy than Coan. Not sure if he is better overall. Definitely a bit more efficient as he seems to look to the short game more often.

Great win!

Comment

Defense played great
                                    Special teams played great
                                    Offense not so much, too many dropped passed and Coan just giving up to take a sack. Thought Reese called a good game.
                                    Hope this sparks the team going forward

Comment

Per Sampson the players are blasting "Jump Around" in the locker room. Love it.

Comment

Coan's only advantage (and it was a big one) coming into the year was experience. He kept the bus on the road by leading us to 3-0.

Time to pull the Wimbush switch now and lead this team to the playoffs.

Comment

Pyne came in and delivered. Hats off to the staff for realizing the game needed to won, not managed, and let him sling it.

Seemed like they slimmed down the playbook for him to get comfortable. Why not do that more often when the offense stalls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

House of Pyne! Most satisfying win in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy3Putt View Post
                                              The Badger defense stopped the zone blitzes and crowding the line when Pyne first came in. His little bit of elusiveness appeared to worry them. The line seemed to block a bit better too.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start next week.
                                              This is what I wrote in the game thread. The quickest improvement for the line may be a high ankle sprain for Jack Coan. That's not a slam on Coan, I think he'd have been very very good with last year's line. This line needs a QB who'll get out of Dodge when the D gets a push.

But Quinn and Rees gotta make some quick progress.

Besides that... What a 4th Quarter. Our LB's outscored Wiscy

ND game ball goes to? Tyree? Pyne? Austin? Hart? Mine goes to Mertz.

Comment

Had to work and missed the game heard the good news walking out so I’ll just comment good win!
                                                Love comics, games, and pro-wrestling almost as much as the Irish? Visit my geek culture blog @ www.facebook.com/athleticgeek89 geek out and Go Irish!

Comment

I love the way Cam Hart competes. Mentioned that last week. He just keeps coming even after mistakes. What a day young man!

Saw the depth on the DL we’d been talking about during Spring and Fall camp. It looked like all of Lacey, Mills, Cross stepped up big today. And obviously front line players played well also.

Botelho is a huge addition and will continue to be so. Makes me wonder what this group looks like with Liufau. Though Bo is giving them something in the Nickel blitz packages.

During the game my dad text me, “there might be something there” with regards to Pyne and I agree. I think we need to legitimately figure out if the offense is better with him because the OL is so bad.

The OL is legitimately terrible. Might be the worst position group since 2016 and some of those defensive positions groups. If the rest of the team wasn’t so damn good, they’d have already torpedoed the season. Luckily, this roster is loaded on D and we have tons of playmakers.

Kevin Austin is good at football. Really nice to see him with a huge bounce back game.

I want more Wilkins and less Lenzy.

I find myself being so so on Rees, game after game. Some play calls and drives im like “there it is”. But then the next drive or series it’ll just suck. And sometimes to start a game, half, or important drive. I mean, did we not all call the way the game would start. Accept the kick, 3 and out, punt, and give an easy 3 to Wiscy. You’d think they would’ve started with something a little more juicy. Same goes for after half.

The biggest difference is it’s clear time and time again that these guys want to battle and are conditioned to battle, physically and mentally. Even the bad groups like the OL keep fighting until it’s over.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenAura View Post
                                                    Per Sampson the players are blasting "Jump Around" in the locker room. Love it.
                                                    By House of Pyne?

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

This is what I wrote in the game thread. The quickest improvement for the line may be a high ankle sprain for Jack Coan. That's not a slam on Coan, I think he'd have been very very good with last year's line. This line needs a QB who'll get out of Dodge when the D gets a push.

But Quinn and Rees gotta make some quick progress.

Besides that... What a 4th Quarter. Our LB's outscored Wiscy

ND game ball goes to? Tyree? Pyne? Austin? Hart? Mine goes to Mertz.

Perfect

Admit it. You looked at the avatar first.

Comment

Congrats to Kelly and his personal foul, he loves his players.

Comment

Can you defer the kick both halves?

Comment

Our offense seems to be more open and jiving when someone not named Jack is back there.... says a JC supporter through 3 but not 4

Comment

Oh and Mertz sucks. Kind of seems like whiny bitch as well. After one oh his bad throws he was on the sideline seemingly complaining about his WR’s. Maybe he should take some ownership of this dumpster fire he’s throwing gasoline on

Comment

Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
                                                                Coan's only advantage (and it was a big one) coming into the year was experience. He kept the bus on the road by leading us to 3-0.

Time to pull the Wimbush switch now and lead this team to the playoffs.
                                                                He makes the team worse. I am sorry he got hurt and thank for trying to help the team but we have players that make the offense better. Thanks for being a great team player but you will no longer be starting.
                                                                Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

ND has shown a ton of mental toughness this season. It felt like the game was slipping away at the beginning of the 4th quarter and they totally flipped that on its head.

Even accounting for Mertz’s complete meltdown the defense was outstanding. I was concerned how they would fare against a power team.

It pains me to say it because I like Coan and there’s a strong chance ND isn’t 4-0 without him… but his style just isn’t a fit for this offense. ND has had plenty of downfield shots against Purdue and Wisconsin and just can’t connect them at a reasonable rate. Without either that or a run game the offense is going to be stuck in neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

By House of Pyne?
                                                                    He waited for his turn. Now it's time for Kelly to #RideThePyne.

Comment

- Nice comeback game for Austin
                                                                      - Huge confidence boost for Hart and Bramblett
                                                                      - Tyree needs to return more kicks
                                                                      - Biggest point for me, I have been critical of this attack defense, if this is the point where we find the sweet spot between creating havoc and playing defense. If the team is starting to understand what Coach Freeman wants and Coach Freeman is understanding what he has, then this could be the start of something good.
                                                                      - Kyren is a CAPTAIN, best Olineman, Avery and MTA too
                                                                      - Even with all the legitimate criticisms, Coach Kelly has built a pretty darn good program! I am excited for this team and the future!
                                                                      Last edited by Redbar; 09-25-2021, 03:47 PM.
                                                                      Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

Coan just isn't consistently accurate enough to run the kind of offense we are forced to when he's in the game. The defense crowds the box and forces the 'death by 1000 paper cuts' and he can't throw that many accurate passes in a row.

Hovering around 50% in college football?
                                                                        No thank you.

Comment

Really impressed w/ how the D shut down a Wiscy run game. They dared Mertz to beat them & he couldn’t.

Cam Hart knows how to compete for the ball & had to have gained a ton of confidence these past two weeks

Coan was only sacked 20 times all season in 2019 b/c he had a great OL. If he were ND’s QB last season, he would’ve thrived behind that line. While the Irish OL is the worst of the BK era, Coan’s lack of mobility makes it worse. Coan will get the start next week if healthy but if we see another sack fest, I suspect he gets the hook. Until then he’s QB1

I can’t get over how bad that OL is….tuuuurrrrribe.

were those ACC refs? Horrible.

Great win. Game much closer than score but loved to see it..

Comment

One more thought,… honestly,… We will really know what this team is after next week.
                                                                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Jimmy3Putt View Post
                                                                              Coan just isn't consistently accurate enough to run the kind of offense we are forced to when he's in the game. The defense crowds the box and forces the 'death by 1000 paper cuts' and he can't throw that many accurate passes in a row.

Hovering around 50% in college football?
                                                                              No thank you.
                                                                              And he typically hovers around 70% b/c he’s always enjoyed above average protection. He’s not getting that this year so either the OL becomes more athletic and can block better (they won’t) or Coan becomes more mobile (he won’t).. I still think he’s QB1 if healthy but with a much shorter leash.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                -My first honest fan take is I wish Gus Johnson did more ND games. Not that am not a MT fan, I am, but GJ is just fun.
                                                                                That call on the Tyree TD was amazing.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  CONGRATS TO COACH KELLY FOR BECOMING THE ALL TIME WINS LEADER IN ND FOOTBALL HISTORY.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Congratulations to Coach Brian Kelly on his 106
                                                                                    victory at Notre Dame!

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      OC/QB: Tommy Rees - Recruited Pyne, Buchner, and Angeli in 3 straight classes which is solid (although ND's QB position sells itself so doesn't exactly blow me away). If he lands Nico or Dante in 2023 then that would look very good. Think he's growing as a play caller and I like the idea of a longer term OC at ND with him there.

RB: Lance Taylor - Recruited Tyree, Estime, Diggs, Price, and Irvin so far. Has definitely jumped up the RB recruiting and the position itself seems deep and talented despite the offensive line deficiencies.

WR: Del Alexander - Amazing what an actual season will do where people were calling for his head earlier this offseason. The WR's look okay, Austin looks good and Lenzy is fast and hopefully can hang onto the ball. Recruiting has definitely picked up. The last 3 classes he's had 5* Johnson, 4* Watts, 3* Brunelle, 4* Colzie, 4* Styles, 4* Thomas, 4* CJ Williams, 4* Meriweather and 3* Walker. He's definitely stepped up as a recruiter and has been bringing in some actual talent compared to the KAR/Cam Hart days of old. If he keeps recruiting like this and hopefully the youngsters develop then he'll be on the good side of many fans I believe

TE: John McNulty - Another position group that's hard to judge with recruiting because it sort of sells itself. McNulty hasn't had any noticeable drop off in recruiting though which is great because from a coaching perspective I love his coaching acumen as a TE coach. Dude has coached in the NFL, at OC, QB, WR, and TE for many years and helped develop some of the best in the game. I think he's doing great work with the TE's and think after Mayer they'll be alright with Bauman, Berrong, Evans, Staes, Raridon, and Flanagan.

OL: Jeff Quinn - He's obviously the guy I'm starting to have a problem with. It just doesn't work to be a better recruiter than Harry Hiestand at this point and while I've loved what he's done to the position group in terms of recruiting the very best and getting some elite talent I'd rather go with a worse recruiter and better coach. Shouldn't be hard for ND to actually find a guy who's good at both and I think they will this offseason barring some major development with the OLine when Fisher hopefully returns. See Tanona, Chan and Craig honestly are not crazy recruiting wins by ND and Jeff Quinn this cycle because I think if Hiestand is the coach or someone else they would land all 3 or maybe some similar iteration of recruits.

Football Outsiders Offensive Line Rankings Going Back to 2014 (Out of 65 Power 5 Teams)

Quinn
                                                                                      2021: Aren't released until Week 5-6 of the year I believe but imagine it'll be terrible
                                                                                      2020: 14th
                                                                                      2019: 23rd
                                                                                      2018: 51st

Hiestand
                                                                                      2017: 6th
                                                                                      2016: 21st
                                                                                      2015: 18th
                                                                                      2014: 19th

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        When Pyne breaks Book's win record in two years, remember this game.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Forgot to quote.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Irishize View Post

And he typically hovers around 70% b/c he’s always enjoyed above average protection. He’s not getting that this year so either the OL becomes more athletic and can block better (they won’t) or Coan becomes more mobile (he won’t).. I still think he’s QB1 if healthy but with a much shorter leash.
                                                                                            Probably, but I remember Book running around a lot. Yes, it's because he likes to move when the first read isn't there, but he covered up more than a few blown assignments.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              That was possibly the most enjoyable 4th quarter to watch as an ND fan in a long time. Pretty close to a flawless performance.

If we score three non offensive TD's every week we'll be hard to beat lol.

Great win leading into another huge one next week.
                                                                                              Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                we scored 31 points in the 4th qtr with 50 yards total offense

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Who got the game ball?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

He waited for his turn. Now it's time for Kelly to #RideThePyne.
                                                                                                    We want Bama!
                                                                                                    Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X