Post Game Thoughts Purdue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Game Thoughts Purdue?

I added the question mark since this post game thoughts has generally been a traditional post game input thread. Feels like a level of indifference is setting in when we don’t have one. Well here it goes:

- Finally a semblance of a running game. The Oline seemed to get a better push today. More carries for Williams and less for Tyree. Still not sure why you would run Tyree between the tackles.
    - Coan missed too many open balls deep and he also had too many drops. 14 missed points.
    - Lenzy and Austin need to hold themselves to a higher standard and catch with their hands not their arms.
    - MIA Michael Mayer
    - If Purdue has better talent then our previous opponents then our Oline made some subtle progress although Lugg looked slower than Coan.
    - The D stayed in front of their opponent and Purdue didn’t play badly and was fortunate to escape several more sacks. Pass rush has not looked this good in a long time but run D so so.
    - Punting was very inconsistent
    - Hoping we can play to the level of our competition and step it up.
    - More Tyler please and let him throw some balls please. I think Kelly is afraid he will be good at that too and get more pressure to start him.

I posted most of this in the game thread…but I’ll post it here now that we have a post-game comments thread.

Kyle Hamilton is special. Made so many plays today and he just always seems to be around the football...which is what he's been doing since the day he stepped on campus. Not sure who the last top 5 pick the Irish have had on the defensive side of the ball, but this kid is living up to the hype!

Offensive line struggled at times, but Purdue has a solid defensive front and I think they did okay considering the matchup. Tosh had a bad first half and several penalties, but he rebounded and played a much better second half.

Clarence Lewis and Cam Hart played well. Lewis could very well turn into a shut-down corner and Cam is really physical. The receiver pushed off Cam on that play where they said he PI'd him. I liked that no call. Houston Griffith may be the most disappointing player on the roster. He takes awful angles and also misses way too many tackles. I think Tariq Bracy has regressed too from where he was a few years ago.

Loved the LB play. Bertrand is a tackling machine. In fact, team tackling overall was WAY improved today vs the first 2 games. I also though Drew White and Jack Kiser played well. I really miss Jeremiah's athleticism, but these LB play hard and hit harder! Purdue ran for 57 yards on 25 carries (2.3 npc)...but if you take away that one 31 yard run, they ran for about a yard per carry.

Lenzy's drop is inexcusable. Austin getting as many targets as he had (and dropping multiple catchable balls) is inexcusable. Thank God for Avery Davis played the best game of his career and made up for the other WR's sloppy play. I'm ready to see Styles and Colzie now. Purdue had a gameplay to make sure Mayer didn't beat them and make our WR beat them. With how poor our WR play was, expect every one of our future opponents to two the same.

I also was concerned about Doerer’s shank and his almost-miss on the short one, but some people posted that there was confusion before the snap on the shank…so that may explain that one. Bramblett had some nice punts (especially the one downed at the 1), but he had a couple bad ones too.

Overall, this is a good Purdue team and ND led all the way, so there is a lot to be happy about. Bring on Wiscy!!!
    The future of Fighting Irish football is looking bright!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BeatSC View Post
      I added the question mark since this post game thoughts has generally been a traditional post game input thread. Feels like a level of indifference is setting in when we don’t have one. Well here it goes:

- Finally a semblance of a running game. The Oline seemed to get a better push today. More carries for Williams and less for Tyree. Still not sure why you would run Tyree between the tackles.
      - Coan missed too many open balls deep and he also had too many drops. 14 missed points.
      - Lenzy and Austin need to hold themselves to a higher standard and catch with their hands not their arms.
      - MIA Michael Mayer
      - If Purdue has better talent then our previous opponents then our Oline made some subtle progress although Lugg looked slower than Coan.
      - The D stayed in front of their opponent and Purdue didn’t play badly and was fortunate to escape several more sacks. Pass rush has not looked this good in a long time but run D so so.
      - Punting was very inconsistent
      - Hoping we can play to the level of our competition and step it up.
      - More Tyler please and let him throw some balls please. I think Kelly is afraid he will be good at that too and get more pressure to start him.
      He’s 59 y/o and just tied Knute Rockne for the most wins at ND. Pressure from who exactly?

And Buchner didn’t play in second half because of tight hammy.

Comment

Glad the boys are 3-0. Lots of room for improvement to be sure. That said, Kelly and his manhandling of Henderson because there were only 10 guys on the field was a pretty crappy look. Never put your hands on a player...EVER. And then he tried to cover it up by going around and being "fatherly" all of a sudden. Guy is a maniac at times.

Comment

Buchner looks like an excited school kid when he plays. Like it.
          Williams, Avery Davis were great
          The O-line was a little better. Get better each outing hopefully.
          Hamilton...enough said.
          MTA had a big game, looks good enough to be drafted.
          Same with Jayson Ademilola.

ND can beat Wisconsin but I hope they are favorites.

Comment

* Terrible game from the officiating crew. Tons of blown calls. The egregious no call on Cam Hart's PI of Bell is the first one that comes to mind. The ref also gave us a free block on Kyren's TD run.
            * So-so game from Coan. Gotta hit those deep passes to Austin.
            * Kyren Williams. Enough said.
            * I feel like there has been significant improvement from Chris Tyree but it's difficult to tell given how poorly the OL has played. Seems to be running harder and he's really flourished as a weapon in the passing game.
            * What an awful game by Kevin Austin. I counted 3 drops.
            * Lenzy has GOT to catch that deep ball.
            * Very, very quiet game for Mayer, but his impact was still felt IMO.
            * Maybe some signs of improvement for the OL?
            * The first half by the defense was outstanding. The second half was pretty rough IMO.

Comment

1. I think it’s encouraging that the interior OL started playing pretty well over the course of the game. Tackles are still a problem and will get wrecked by Wisconsin.
              2. Execution errors are the number one thing killing the team. Easily should’ve been 41-13. The drop by Lenzy is inexcusable as was the Coan overthrow to a wide open Austin.
              3. Corners are clearly the weakest position on the defense and I hope Cam Hart isn’t hurt badly because they cannot afford to lose him.
              4. Kyren Williams, MTA, and Avery Davis all balled out all game.
              5. The defense is improving significantly week-to-week. It still scares me how they bring blitzes from 10 yards away from the LOS that have no chance of getting home, and how many times guys are left on an island to make a tackle and if they miss it then the whole team is basically screwed. High risk/moderate reward.

Comment

Defense with improvement. Looked a bit more Clark Lea than BVG.

OL still not good but was a bit more solid. I thought Coan started moving in the pocket better in second half.

Going to need to see big improvement this week too.

Anyone confused why we had full load of starters in game on that last D series?
                Prehistoric

Comment

Comment

Austin will be fine. He was overthrown on a couple balls, had a couple more that were off target, and three drops. Just one of those games. He'll probably have 150 yds receiving next time out

Comment

Some PFF stuff:

69 was the # of offensive snaps. Takacs got 44 which was more than any of the WRs (by one). Alt got 8. The 2 TE usage basically ate into all 3 WRs snaps evenly.

Lugg, Madden and Baker with poor Pass Block grades. Correll only one with a poor run block grade, and Lugg had a high one. Without my own review I just don’t agree or get some of these grades every week, but that was the highlight for others curious.

It gave Lenzy 3 drops and Austin 2.

On D, Bertrand played 81 and Hamilton 80 so I’ll assume 81 was the total.

Foskey - 61, Justin - 28
                      Hinish - 41, Cross 43
                      Jayson - 54, Mills - 19
                      MTA - 50, NaNa - 24

Both MTA and Foskey had 4 hurries.

Bertrand - 81
                      White - 36, Bauer - 36
                      Kiser - 25, Pryor - 28

Bertrand had 5 “Stops” which is PFF constitutes as a failed offensive play. White had 3. They both did have poor tackling grades though due to 2 missed tackles each. Either by formation or choice, the split has been 50/50 for two weeks now at MIKE. The Rover spot also was not on the field 35% of the time based off those #s.

Griffith - 50, Brown - 28
                      Bracy - 30 (only 2 at outside CB), Henderson - 9

So the Brown usage I’ll admit I did not notice it was to that degree at all. I saw him definitely more than normal but did not think A) it was to that extent and B) it took Griffith off. He got 7 tackles. Good for him, I would not have seen a good performance coming. The “5th” DB has been essentially a who's hot, or who’s really not this year. Henderson got more last week, Brown this week. Bracy’s 30 snaps means he was on the field in a three person split with the Rovers

Comment

Glad for a victory, will always take.
                        Disappointed in the overall performance. This team has a long way to go to be a top 10 team.
                        Pass protection remains an issue, and immobility of Coan exacerbates this.
                        Bertrand has been outstanding.
                        Seemed as if corners were playing too far off line, allowing simple pitch and catch plays.
                        Wisconsin will be a defining game as to where this team goes.
                        Not aware of any injuries?
                        Doerer seems shaky. Team is going to need him to be reliable from 45 and in.

Comment

Someone with a smarter football mind than me can correct me if I’m wrong but it seems we’ve been doing a lot of 3 man fronts. Why are we not recruiting a Louis Nix type of player to take on that role? I know the fronts shift a lot but when we’ve been gashed this year it’s been in a 3 man front.

Comment

Seeing FSU and Toledo’s outcomes is not reassuring,… I’m actually really surprised with FSU
                            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DogDaysIrish View Post
                              Glad the boys are 3-0. Lots of room for improvement to be sure. That said, Kelly and his manhandling of Henderson because there were only 10 guys on the field was a pretty crappy look. Never put your hands on a player...EVER. And then he tried to cover it up by going around and being "fatherly" all of a sudden. Guy is a maniac at times.
                              Disagree. If you’re a football player and you’re adverse to your diminutive coach laying into you in pads and a helmet, you might be too fragile for the sport. I didn’t see what Kelly did to Henderson, but I’d be interested to know what is “manhandling” to you. Holtz would put his hands on players for positive and negative reinforcement often. And they didn’t make that mistake again. / Now, in street clothes... that’s a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                Someone with a smarter football mind than me can correct me if I’m wrong but it seems we’ve been doing a lot of 3 man fronts. Why are we not recruiting a Louis Nix type of player to take on that role? I know the fronts shift a lot but when we’ve been gashed this year it’s been in a 3 man front.
                                I hate the three man fronts. And blitzing from the other side of the field hurts more than it will ever help. Not sure the point of sending someone who will never get there.

Happy to see better OL play, albeit marginally. Wisconsin will be a handful next week. Hopefully, we’re up for the challenge…we shall see, but those tackles are worrisome.

Not too worried about the drops. We’ll clean those up, I hope. Sucks leaving points on the field though but good that they’re at least there though, just execute, men.

Williams and Hamilton good Lord. Ballers.
                                Last edited by Irish2155; 09-19-2021, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                  Seeing FSU and Toledo’s outcomes is not reassuring,… I’m actually really surprised with FSU
                                  Why? FSU is trash. They weren’t a good team when we barely beat them. We were horrible.

Comment

“Manhandling” “Maniac” seriously? Never seen a coach, coach before? He had his hand on his shoulders. Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by ND88 View Post

Why? FSU is trash. They weren’t a good team when we barely beat them. We were horrible.
                                      After our game I expected Milton to step in and for them to be far more competitive,… I don’t think anyone expected them to be 0-3 with losing to JSU
                                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Postgame Thoughts:
                                        1) The Kyren Williams late TD was the play of the game. When they replayed the play on the jumbotron he should've been tackled by 4 Purdue football players and he broke away.
                                        2) I was not a fan when ND initiated their 2-QB system for Toledo. I am now and this is what their offense needs to throw a curveball to the opposing defense.
                                        3) Anyone else get annoyed when BK says so and so is available for the game and they will play. No Jordan Botelho yesterday, why??
                                        4) Hamilton will get the love on defense, Bertrand deserves some love.
                                        5) Besides the David Bell injury and glad he is OK; ND kept him in check yesterday.
                                        6) I think our offensive line is the downfall of our offense. If Coan has the time he will make the throws.
                                        7) Mayer was MIA, but kudos to him for going back into the game after the hit.

We are 3-0!
                                        Go Irish!

Comment

Is this post serious? Kelly's "manhandling" of Henderson? You have to be kidding me.

Comment

Disagree. If you’re a football player and you’re adverse to your diminutive coach laying into you in pads and a helmet, you might be too fragile for the sport. I didn’t see what Kelly did to Henderson, but I’d be interested to know what is “manhandling” to you. Holtz would put his hands on players for positive and negative reinforcement often. And they didn’t make that mistake again. / Now, in street clothes... that’s a different story.
                                            I agree with you. Kelly was letting Henderson know he was unhappy with him, and Henderson kept trying to walk away while Kelly was still talking to him. Kelly's "manhandling" of him we twice reaching out and just putting his hand on his side/stomach just to basically say "whoa dont walk away while Im talking to you", and the third time Henderson did it Kelly grabbed his arm (not aggressively or viciously mind you) just again to let him know stay here I am not done talking to you.
                                            The post calling this manhandling actually made me LOL at how fragile and sensitive people are these days.
                                            Last edited by Te'o4Heisman; 09-19-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post

After our game I expected Milton to step in and for them to be far more competitive,… I don’t think anyone expected them to be 0-3 with losing to JSU

Their coaching and playing were heightened for an emotional opener, but we should have put that game away before letting it get out of hand. Their athletes were improved due to the transfer rule, but I didn’t see anything outside of the good play of a couple players to see their team having a great season, which isn’t saying much for us. I didn’t think they would necessarily be the dumpster fire they are now. After 3 straight losses, there are some FSU fans clamoring for Dieon Sanders to replace Norvell. I love it.
                                              Last edited by clashmore_mike; 09-19-2021, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishandy View Post
                                                Postgame Thoughts:
                                                3) Anyone else get annoyed when BK says so and so is available for the game and they will play. No Jordan Botelho yesterday, why??
                                                !
                                                He saw time on special teams. Something about letting him get his game legs under him due to missing practices in Fall camp, and he will see more action versus Wisconsin.

Comment

He saw time on special teams. Something about letting him get his game legs under him due to missing practices in Fall camp, and he will see more action versus Wisconsin.
                                                  Thank you. Someone said in his thread he changed to #12, I didn't realize that.

Comment

Originally posted by Te'o4Heisman View Post

I agree with you. Henderson was letting Henderson know he was unhappy with him, and Henderson kept trying to walk away while Kelly was still talking to him. Kelly's "manhandling" of him we twice reaching out and just putting his hand on his side/stomach just to basically say "whoa dont walk away while Im talking to you", and the third time Henderson did it Kelly grabbed his arm (not aggressively or viciously mind you) just again to let him know stay here I am not done talking to you.
                                                    The post calling this manhandling actually made me LOL at how fragile and sensitive people are these days.
                                                    I’m all for respecting a person’s humanity. Degradation for degradation’s sake is not only wrong, it’s disgusting. However, in a violent sport like football, when players are coddled, players get hurt. Coaches (particularly the head coach) are responsible for making sure that players are psychologically capable of handling the mental and physical pressures of the sport. Not only to win, but for ensuring the safety of the team. If the head is not in the game, the body will get sloppy. I understand that recent generations have softened aspects of the game as players have become more entitled to greater privileges, but people can still get killed in this sport, and every edge is vital. Granted, being excessively violent with athletes is wrong, but commanding respect through intensity is a coach’s job, especially in a brutal sport like football.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post

“Manhandling” “Maniac” seriously? Never seen a coach, coach before? He had his hand on his shoulders. Good grief.
                                                      Came here to say the same thing, Dale & ND88. Dog Days clearly never played football. I don't remember seeing anything that outlandish watching the game yesterday and the fact I can't find it on twitter or anywhere else, especially given the media's history of portraying BK on the sidelines, tells me that this isn't even that serious.

I've had coaches yelling at me while having a hold of my facemask, I've gotten slapped on the helmet, etc. And can you believe I even lived to tell the tale?!?!

It's football. It's intense, emotions run high.
                                                      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

I know the transitive property is a bad way to compare teams but not only has FSU looked worse in their two games following ND but Toledo just got blown out by Colorado State who lost to Vandy the week prior. The same Vandy that got blown out by an FCS opponent. Based on that trend, I’m going to assume Purdue sucks as well and will not be bowl eligible this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                          I know the transitive property is a bad way to compare teams but not only has FSU looked worse in their two games following ND but Toledo just got blown out by Colorado State who lost to Vandy the week prior. The same Vandy that got blown out by an FCS opponent. Based on that trend, I’m going to assume Purdue sucks as well and will not be bowl eligible this season.
                                                          22-6 is a real shellacking, lol.

In all seriousness, you can try to compare teams and schemes all you want, but it's not always comparing apples to apples. By your logic, CSU is > ND because they beat Toledo by more. JSU is > ND because they beat FSU in regulation. Neither of those are true.

I'm not confident heading into Wisconsin, but it's got nothing to do with Toledo, FSU or Purdue. It's because I doubt we will be able to run the ball a lick next weekend and they're going to sit back in coverage all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

In all seriousness, you can try to compare teams and schemes all you want, but it's not always comparing apples to apples. By your logic, CSU is > ND because they beat Toledo by more. JSU is > ND because they beat FSU in regulation. Neither of those are true.

I'm not confident heading into Wisconsin, but it's got nothing to do with Toledo, FSU or Purdue. It's because I doubt we will be able to run the ball a lick next weekend and they're going to sit back in coverage all day long
                                                            Remember I began my statement by saying it’s “a bad way to compare teams” so that’s not my logic as you say but it’s a trend that tells me ND’s opponents gave us their best shot and at the end of the day are below average teams. Fans were trying to reassure themselves last week that “even though Toledo is a MAC team, they’ll probably win the conference”. I wouldn’t bet on that. When you let a putrid team like CSU beat you be two scores it may as well be a blow out. That’s even more embarrassing when you consider that Toledo was at home.

Comment

Am I the only one who thought they should have looked at Tyree’s run down the line closer? If he touched the sideline it was only by a whisker and none of the replays looked to me like he touched.

Comment

I played Toledo on my Son's XBox and beat them 77 - 3.... Does that count? LOL

Comment

Bottom line here is this season is going to give me even more gray hair than I already have.... Hopefully the tension results in a few losses at the end of the day but I can't know which way it'll turn out
                                                                  Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Was in the stadium with the wife for this one. My first game since the jumbotron. Overall good presentation, they play too much techno. At least go with rap if you're trying to play to the under 40 crowd. Crowd gets loud when it needs to but it's still largely weaksauce compared to other schools. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Hamilton is a freak. Myron doesn't get nearly enough love on here. He was very disruptive and you can tell he's a captain from the stands. Game never really felt in doubt in the building. Coan started the game by letting the WRs down, then they let him down by dropping some dimes. Kyren is such a competitive giant.

I stood outside the recruit entrance for a minute before the game. Saw Tommy Rees get off a golf cart and walk into the stadium. Yelled out "GO GETTEM TOMMY!" less than five yards away from him and he pretended like he didn't hear me. Totally son'd me in front of the wife. Confirmed: Still a cold blooded killer. I don't care what y'all say, the dude is a boss.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                      Was in the stadium with the wife for this one. My first game since the jumbotron. Overall good presentation, they play too much techno. At least go with rap if you're trying to play to the under 40 crowd. Crowd gets loud when it needs to but it's still largely weaksauce compared to other schools. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Hamilton is a freak. Myron doesn't get nearly enough love on here. He was very disruptive and you can tell he's a captain from the stands. Game never really felt in doubt in the building. Coan started the game by letting the WRs down, then they let him down by dropping some dimes. Kyren is such a competitive giant.

I stood outside the recruit entrance for a minute before the game. Saw Tommy Rees get off a golf cart and walk into the stadium. Yelled out "GO GETTEM TOMMY!" less than five yards away from him and he pretended like he didn't hear me. Totally son'd me in front of the wife. Confirmed: Still a cold blooded killer. I don't care what y'all say, the dude is a boss.
                                                                      I think based on the podcast that Hamilton and the fellas are on, the players had a large part with the music. He mentioned that they requested new 3rd down music, which use to be Crazy Train.

But I agree that the crowd will never be as loud as some other stadiums, but I certainly think it's gotten progressively better over the years. Night games I've noticed a bigger difference than afternoon. Probably the pregame liquid courage of those longer tailgates haha. Hope you enjoyed the game!

Comment

One last thing re: stadium noise: I was in a section fairly near the visitor tunnel. When the Purdue specialist were running into the stadium after the early warmups, I got up and started booing them. I was disappointed to realize that I was the only one booing them. (C'mon guys...) Then a Purdue fan started trying to shame me for booing. I told him, no offense man but I've got a job to do.

Comment

I think based on the podcast that Hamilton and the fellas are on, the players had a large part with the music. He mentioned that they requested new 3rd down music, which use to be Crazy Train.

But I agree that the crowd will never be as loud as some other stadiums, but I certainly think it's gotten progressively better over the years. Night games I've noticed a bigger difference than afternoon. Probably the pregame liquid courage of those longer tailgates haha. Hope you enjoyed the game!
                                                                          I suspect Hamilton chose "here comes the boom" not the techno polka they played after a big defensive stop.

In all seriousness the jumbotron was done really well. The lack of ads is great. The Hamilton highlight reel played before a big defensive series got me extremely hyped.

Comment

Maybe you should have said "Tommy...po po, run!!"

Comment

• #39

I suspect Hamilton chose "here comes the boom" not the techno polka they played after a big defensive stop.

In all seriousness the jumbotron was done really well. The lack of ads is great. The Hamilton highlight reel played before a big defensive series got me extremely hyped.
                                                                              Lol it was the Six Flags song wasn’t it? Noticed it for sure on the broadcast

Comment

• #40

Yes reminded me of the old man dancing

Comment

• #41

I swear they let a 48 year old woman pick the music in the stadium. No other explanation makes sense.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Had to listen to the game on the radio, but got to watch it later in the night.

Oline showed improvement. They have a ways to go, but it's a positive direction. Kudos to Baker.
                                                                                    Everyone has already mentioned KH and KW. Nothing I can add that you don't already know.
                                                                                    Coan was off earlier. Didn't look to be a happy feet situation. Threw a better ball in the 2nd half.
                                                                                    WTF Austin and Lenzy? You have to catch those. Otherwise our big TE is going to be MIA with double teams.
                                                                                    Get 'em BK! Let them know you demand more out of them.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Some PFF stuff:

69 was the # of offensive snaps. Takacs got 44 which was more than any of the WRs (by one). Alt got 8. The 2 TE usage basically ate into all 3 WRs snaps evenly.

Lugg, Madden and Baker with poor Pass Block grades. Correll only one with a poor run block grade, and Lugg had a high one. Without my own review I just don’t agree or get some of these grades every week, but that was the highlight for others curious.

It gave Lenzy 3 drops and Austin 2.

On D, Bertrand played 81 and Hamilton 80 so I’ll assume 81 was the total.

Foskey - 61, Justin - 28
                                                                                      Hinish - 41, Cross 43
                                                                                      Jayson - 54, Mills - 19
                                                                                      MTA - 50, NaNa - 24

Both MTA and Foskey had 4 hurries.

Bertrand - 81
                                                                                      White - 36, Bauer - 36
                                                                                      Kiser - 25, Pryor - 28

Bertrand had 5 “Stops” which is PFF constitutes as a failed offensive play. White had 3. They both did have poor tackling grades though due to 2 missed tackles each. Either by formation or choice, the split has been 50/50 for two weeks now at MIKE. The Rover spot also was not on the field 35% of the time based off those #s.

Griffith - 50, Brown - 28
                                                                                      Bracy - 30 (only 2 at outside CB), Henderson - 9

So the Brown usage I’ll admit I did not notice it was to that degree at all. I saw him definitely more than normal but did not think A) it was to that extent and B) it took Griffith off. He got 7 tackles. Good for him, I would not have seen a good performance coming. The “5th” DB has been essentially a who's hot, or who’s really not this year. Henderson got more last week, Brown this week. Bracy’s 30 snaps means he was on the field in a three person split with the Rovers
                                                                                      I like the DL usage, you need at least 8 guys in today's game. Botelho makes 9 which will be interesting. I hope he gets 15-20 snaps but not sure where they're coming from.

We only have 5 LBers but Bertrand needs no back up, he's all over the place. It is concerning that most of the players on punt and KO coverage are starters or co starters. They need to get those guys some more rest, even Hamilton and Bertrand are on the cover teams.

DJ Brown may be supplanting Griffith which is probably a good thing. Brown wasn't just in on obvious passing downs like Henderson and Bracy were. Just based on tackles Brown was way more productive than Griffith.

Bauer is obviously the passing down MLB and there were a lot of them vs Purdue. White was better than he was in the first two games. Not sure what the criteria is for Kiser vs Pryor. Maybe they are just equally average. They come out in the nickel. Where's Watts?

Love these snap counts, they really help understanding what we are trying to do.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                        Had to listen to the game on the radio, but got to watch it later in the night.

Oline showed improvement. They have a ways to go, but it's a positive direction. Kudos to Baker.
                                                                                        Everyone has already mentioned KH and KW. Nothing I can add that you don't already know.
                                                                                        Coan was off earlier. Didn't look to be a happy feet situation. Threw a better ball in the 2nd half.
                                                                                        WTF Austin and Lenzy? You have to catch those. Otherwise our big TE is going to be MIA with double teams.
                                                                                        Get 'em BK! Let them know you demand more out of them.
                                                                                        agree 100%. Baker was way better in the 2nd half, he may half won himself a job. And Austin and Lenzy need be told we're going to need you to catch the ball and if you don't you're going to see someone else try.. Not reassuring that Wilkins got some targets and he didn't catch it either.

Comment

• #45

"We Like to Party" by the Vengaboys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

"We Like to Party" by the Vengaboys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw
                                                                                            That's the one. Would've been cheesy in 2005.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              My thoughts are

1. Better, but not great.
                                                                                              2. #23 and #14 better stay healthy.
                                                                                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                The more I watch back some highlights, the more I think Bertrand is a fake dead girlfriend away from being an All American.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Positives:

1. OL got better as the game wore on. Which is similar to last weekend. I think that shows it's a well conditioned unit. I think that is something we can use to our advantage but we have to start better.

2. Baker was part of that, he got better as the game wore on.

3. Defense played better. DL is really talented. Amazing what happens when you rush your 4 best pass rushers, consistently, with some stunts mixed in. Cough cough, Clark Lea.

4. Kyren and Tyree really are really talented backs. We need to find a way to start faster to get them more involved early.

5. I really like Coan's resolve. That's 2 weeks in a row where he just kept playing and more specifically kept giving his guys chances to make plays. Which is what this offense needs right now. Gosh, I hate to write this but if Ian Book had that quality...

6. DJ Brown with a nice bounce back game. He was horrendous versus FSU. So, they sat him against Toledo and then got him on the field against Purdue and he played much better. I really liked that approach and it seemed to work for him.

7. I don't know, I might be in the minority here but I like the CB's. I think these guys just compete their butts off. And, I think they're reasonably talented. We have these guys for, probably, 2 more years. I like them. Now, if some of the mistakes don't get cleaned up along the way, then we might be having a different conversation this time next season. But, I expect some mistakes, we get them, and then they battle right back. And, maybe our DC can help them out a bit.

8. Avery Davis. Kudos young man.

Negatives:

1. The OL needs to start games better. We simply cannot start games that poorly and expect to win, against good teams. My take is they are a well conditioned unit that lack technique and toughness. As the opposition gets tired, the game comes easier to them. Either we find guys on our roster that can start faster or we make changes to how we start games to protect them. Not ideal but probably doable. I don't see them getting tougher overnight as that probably needs to be addressed in recruiting.

2. I still can't get on board with Freeman the play caller. Love Freeman the coach, the recruiter, etc. but not the play caller. I just don't think he's very good at it. The defense is getting better because he's doing less of it. I'm so over watching our Vyper drop to LB and our LB drop to S. Somebody post if I'm wrong here, but I have not seen a single play where our best off ball LB, Bertrand, and our best pass rusher, Foskey, have had any impactful plays from this look. They are two of our best players, period. It seems like a total waste of both of their best qualities and I'm really curios how the conversations are going inside the Gug when they watch the tape. Or, the, slant the entire DL and replace the edge with a CB. I don't see the need for these plays calls. Like Lax said, too high risk and not enough reward. I get that he's trying to leverage the offense but in turn he puts a lot on the line to do it. This really is BVG eque level play calling. It's unnecessary and sometimes he's just wrong. Why risk it when you have a superior team and athletes. Doesn't make sense. If we're playing Bama in a title game and we are doing this to get an edge, sure. But against these teams it's just non-sense. I truly believe that if we just played a fairly vanilla 4-2-5 with some timely LB blitzes, DL stunts, etc (Lea's defense), we'd all be much happier with the product.

3. WR's, woof. That was a pathetic showing, in front of your home fans, for Austin and Lenzy. I'm close to wanting this Lenzy WR experiment to end. He's not a natural hands catcher for WR and I don't believe he's physical enough for another position. So, I find myself thinking he's just an athlete playing football. This is where I think Keys playing slot and Davis at X makes sense. But, I guess we'll never know. Keys is better than Lenzy, maybe that is my hot take on the issue.

Solutions:

1. I'd really like to see Buch start the game against Wiscy. I think they should really try to stretch the field horizontally in the run game which could open up the middle of the field for him as a runner. I'd like to get their LB's moving side to side and then start to attack them vertically. I'm very worried, if the OL doesn't start significantly better, we could be looking at a goose egg of a 1st Qtr. Let's see if Buch can get a couple first downs grinding it out and see how it goes from there.

2. I really hope we dial it back on defense even more. Enough of the crappy play calls and crazy leveraged situational football. I think the defense is very talented up front. Let's let them play like such. I think we have plenty of talent on D to stop Wiscy. This game goes south if we continue to play bad situational football. Offense starts slow and defense gives up some dumb big plays early because we had to get cute with our defensive play calls.

3. When Carmody is healthy, Lugg to the bench seems about right. Baker at RT. Lugg is a 5th year Senior who plays with poor technique and is soft. Baker is a true Sophomore who plays with poor technique but has started to show a little more toughness. Let's see what he has for the future. Lugg has had his chances, time for him to become the Hunter Bivin of this OL.

4. Put the Dolla defense out of it's misery, for now. Let's come back to it next season. I know this won't happen but gosh my eyes want it too.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Luckylucci; 09-20-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Simply could not agree more on Coach Freeman’s D, Lucky. “Just win” should be good enough, leave the cute scheme stuff to the offensive coordinators ( But please God, not Tom Rees)!
                                                                                                    Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X