X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame Thoughts

FSU Postgame Thoughts

1) That was one fugly of a win.
    2) Jack Coan is a smart QB; glad he is wearing the gold helmet.
    3) I know it's Freeman's first game, the defense needs to make improvements.
    4) Lea made adjustments, ND kept allowing FSU to run the ball??
    5) Where was Jordan Botelho? Did he punch someone before they boarded for Tallahassee?
    6) Too many Mayer drops, hopefully this doesn't become a trend for him, he is too good of a TE
    7) Nice game for Kevin Austin.

Go Irish!!

FSU loaded up to take out running game and it showed. But got gashed by the pass. If ND can get a running game going this offence is going to be damn good.

Defence should have bagged this game early, too many missed tackles and no adjustments to the run in the 3rd and 4th. Obviously its game 1 on the road in the humidity but I have to see more out of this defence. Soooo many questions.

Comment

I think we should continue to have separate postgame threads for each week.

Defense needs to work on:

1. Tackling
      2. Tackling
      3. Tackling

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

1) We gotta upgrade the server because it clearly can’t handle a dramatic game lol
        2) Defense was as bad as we’ve seen in years. Questionable scheme, questionable tackling, questionable everything. Woof.
        3) When they actually let Coan air it out the offense looked good. We are not going to be able to run the ball consistently this year with this OL and we shouldn’t try. Become a 21st century pass first team, please.
        4) Ball don’t lie.

Comment

"Brian Kelly the Executioner"

I've already blocked out all the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post
            "Brian Kelly the Executioner"

I've already blocked out all the rest.
            Yea can’t wait for Kelly to get in trouble for that one

Comment

Hope Freeman can learn from this if not he can pack his bags.

OL needs to gel better and I hope Fisher is okay as he looked good

Offense had a lot of bright spots and a couple spots that needs improvement

Special teams was great, they did everything that was asked

Kelly still has a passion for the game and I love seeing that

Comment

Like someone said in the gameday thread...execute or be executed!

Comment

1) I love ND football
                  2) I said a lot of stupid shit tonight
                  3) I'm way too old for a game played by 18-22 year old young men to get me this worked up
                  4) Rees and Freeman, and by proxy, BK sucked ass tonight
                  5) Win and advance, Go Irish!

Comment

A fumbles a fumble...unless the quarterback is under duress and his throwing arm comes forward and his other hand knocks the ball loose. Then it's an incomplete pass because his off hand didn't catch it. I think that's in the college football rule book somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post
                      A fumbles a fumble...unless the quarterback is under duress and his throwing arm comes forward and his other hand knocks the ball loose. Then it's an incomplete pass because his off hand didn't catch it. I think that's in the college football rule book somewhere...
                      Why wouldn’t it be grounding in this case?

Comment

I think it’s funny that everyone wanted exciting, throw the ball around offense, fly around on defense, win games 61-51…
                        ND has some pretty ridiculous steaks going on right now for winning when the favorite & winning against Unranked teams for a reason. Being boring against inferior opponents gets the job done.

The 3-3-5 change was the dumbest thing I’ve seen since BVG. NDs DL was causing havoc with 4 up front. It’s the strength of the team. Don’t take them off and replace them with a slow LB or unproven DB.

Comment

- OSU got tested till Mo got hurt and the starting S got replaced by someone that looks like any of us
                          - Clemson. Woof.
                          - OU. D wasn’t what everyone expected and Rattler still throws picks
                          - Georgia. Still has no 2021 offense.

Sneaky out with a disappointing win does happen to the best of them not named Bama.

The question becomes how fixable are the issues. Last two years the issue was vertical passing game and it literally wasn’t fixable. Are they this year is the question? Now the issues:

- OL. I think we’ll look back and see Johnson was maybe the best pass rusher we will face besides the Purdue guy. Georgia’s D last night about proved that. Run blocking was bigger concern. Still, with time FIXABLE

- Tackling. WTF. FIXABLE for most of the team but some guys in the secondary might have to see what the underclassmen have at some point

- Freeman’s game plan. God I hope it’s FIXABLE. I just can’t see it not being but at the same time can’t see what he was thinking.

Comment

I’m not sure what Freeman was doing once it was 38-20 but that can’t happen again. Not fun but also think they will be fine. A lot of good plays were made or were in position to make plays. This isn’t like Van Gorder where they were getting thrashed every series.

My Apple Watch heart rate monitor was ridiculous during this game.

The offense is gonna be fun all year. Can’t let Rees go full turtle mode. Have a killer instinct and step on throats.

credit to FSU. At 38-20 they’d quit in the past. Maybe this team is different especially if Milton is the QB.

Offensive line is a slight concern but I think FSU is legit up front.

enough can’t be said about Kyle Hamilton. Guy deserves all the NIL money in the world.

Comment

We really need to stop playing Labor Day weekend Sunday night road games

Comment

1. A win is a win. UNC lost in a similar environment and looked terrible in the process. Take the good before processing the bad
                                2. I like CMF's energy and infectious personality. But I'll miss boring old Clark Lea's in game adjustments. I've posted it before (I think) but Louisville 2019 and UNC 2020 were two of the best coaching jobs I've ever seen in game.
                                3. BK was right to bring up Louisville 2019 in his presser last week. Similar environment and pitfalls. FSU may well end up being very good this year. We'll see.
                                4. Great to see Coan looking downfield and letting his players make a play. The Wilkins TD, Austin TD, and Lenzy incompletions were prime examples.
                                5. All the beat writers said the same thing - Coan will be fine in this offense but we'll really miss Ian Book at some point this season. Already missing his ability to escape on 3rd and 5 tonight.
                                6. Coan is humble and experienced but he'll need to work out the cobwebs a bit. He was shaky during stretches when he needed to be more consistent. He missed that easy Mayer throw on 3rd down in the flat to the right at the end of the 4th quarter.
                                7. Running game isn't going to be like last year. Need more TEs!!!! Lol. I'm kidding...I think?
                                8. Last year if we had that lead with 5 minutes to go and the ball on our own 25, we march 67 yards and kneel it out to end the game. We don't have that OL this year, that's for sure. Everyone will get pissed we didn't run the score back up and the message boards are full of vitriol about how CBK doesn't understand the importance of looking good on national TV and just winning isn't good enough.
                                9. Michael Mayer could be a stud. But for all the great he does he needs to hang onto the ball more on key situations (some were bad throws by Coan, not that one pass with 5 seconds left though). He didn't wear gloves in the first half but did in the second. Wear the gloves even though it's humid out there and the ball is slippery.
                                10. Gritty running all night by Kyren and Chris. Not having C'bo in the 3rd to provide a breather really hurt us tonight.
                                11. Welcome back Kevin Austin! Let's target him before the second quarter next week, shall we?
                                12. Good job by Wilkins and Lenzy (1st quarter) to make tough catches on not perfectly thrown balls.
                                13. Coach Tommy - how about some underneath drag routes and let our athletes run next week?
                                14. Coach Tommy - perfectly timed screen pass on 3rd down in the 3rd quarter against the all out blitz! Great play call.
                                15. John Doerer, amazing job tonight in the clutch after last year. Maybe odd years work better for you than the end of 2020 and the kickoff out of bounds infection of 2018.
                                16. Defense - I think I heard one of the beat his, either Mike Frank or Tim Prister say that this was the first year the NCAA limited tackling in August camp like the NFL has for a few years. I thought we would work on tackling dummies and O rings but it needs way, way more work.
                                17. Let's contain outside runs and not completely vacate the middle of the field next week on every play, ok?
                                18. Time to settle down, take the win, and learn for next week. Remember - we have a good coaching staff. They'll learn and adjust throughout the season. After all - we have what everyone wanted after October 2020- downfield passing threats!

1-0 is better than 0-1!

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                  I’m not sure what Freeman was doing once it was 38-20 but that can’t happen again. Not fun but also think they will be fine. A lot of good plays were made or were in position to make plays. This isn’t like Van Gorder where they were getting thrashed every series.

My Apple Watch heart rate monitor is ridiculous during this game.

The offense is gonna be fun all year. Can’t let Rees go full turtle mode. Have a killer instinct and step on throats.

credit to FSU. At 38-20 they’d quit in the past. Maybe this team is different especially if Milton is the QB.

Offensive line is a slight concern but I think FSU is legit up front.

enough can’t be said about Kyle Hamilton. Guy deserves all the NIL money in the world.
                                  I don’t think Rees went full turtle mode. I think twice in the 4th Q they ran good plays to get the 1st Down & move the chains (and run the clock), but a drop & a underthrown pass caused them to not convert.
                                  When up 18 the key is no turnovers or short fields. You expect your Defense not to give up three straight scores in the 4th.

Comment

It’s actually terrible that I still have PTSD from Michigan in 2011. The fact ND pulled this off makes me very optimistic about the season because this would have never ended like this in the past.

Comment

I’ll jump in then read above to see if anyone else agrees.

Was that John Tenuta calling D?

Comment

Originally posted by NDisme View Post

Why wouldn’t it be grounding in this case?
                                        This, right here.
                                        If it's an attempt, you can't throw it at your own feet to avoid a sack inside the tackles... That's intentional grounding.

The Lord was on our karma side with that missed kick at least.

Comment

That 2nd Hamilton pick was one of the most insane plays I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
                                            1) I love ND football
                                            2) I said a lot of stupid shit tonight
                                            3) I'm way too old for a game played by 18-22 year old young men to get me this worked up
                                            4) Rees and Freeman, and by proxy, BK sucked ass tonight
                                            5) Win and advance, Go Irish!
                                            Hahaha. Gold.

Comment

I’m nervous about the OL, but excited for this team. It was week 1 and we got two solid weeks ahead to build from it. It was good to see them fight in a loud stadium and win. Wasn’t perfect, but it sure was fun and this team looks faster than recent teams. Our competition struggled too this weekend.

I’m excited and thrilled! Go Irish!
                                              Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

Lotta hate for Rees, but he manufactured 38 points during regulation in a game where we were starting several new guys on offense in a hostile environment in prime time. Look at all the extra motivation FSU had too, and we still found a way to win thankfully. I think this offense has some real weapons if they can continue to improve. Our OL definitely needs work, and I sincerely hope Big Fish is okay. I don't see Kyren getting the yards he got last season unless our OL finds a way to gel, but maybe behind Coan, and hopefully Mayer/Austin/Lenzy we keep defenses from loading up the box and we end up passing to setup the run.

Freeman, on the other hand, definitely has a lot of work to do. This was a very experienced defense that should not have given up 38 points to FSU.

Comment

Hey I thought this was Houston Griffiths best game. He looked like he could make some plays. He probably did bad things that I did not notice.

Comment

Louisville’19 felt like we were sluggish, making fixable first game mistakes, etc. but our D stood firm

Tonight felt like a Jimmy Clausen win.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                      Louisville’19 felt like we were sluggish, making fixable first game mistakes, etc. but our D stood firm

Tonight felt like a Jimmy Clausen win.
                                                      Hopefully it was just down to the QB being very evasive in the second half. We were about to bring him down several times. Admittedly Freeman had a bad game and the LBers dont seem much good. Maybe they can get Prince in there.

Comment

This team is set up to squeak by with a 12-0 record against our weak schedule, and a 40 point loss in a playoff game. Our lines of scrimmage will get eaten alive by an elite team, but we won't see any of those in the regular season.

Comment

Remember 2018, beating Ball State at home by one score? Or Vanderbilt at home the next week by one score? Didn’t matter because ND kept wining.
                                                          This FSU team is better than both those teams & was on the road. If ND keeps winning, regardless of how, people will forget this game & ND will move up while others lose.
                                                          If FSU goes 8-4, then this will be a good road win.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                            Hey I thought this was Houston Griffiths best game. He looked like he could make some plays. He probably did bad things that I did not notice.
                                                            Took a really bad angle and was a big reason that 1st long td run happened.

Comment

Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                                              Lotta hate for Rees, but he manufactured 38 points during regulation in a game where we were starting several new guys on offense in a hostile environment in prime time. Look at all the extra motivation FSU had too, and we still found a way to win thankfully. I think this offense has some real weapons if they can continue to improve. Our OL definitely needs work, and I sincerely hope Big Fish is okay. I don't see Kyren getting the yards he got last season unless our OL finds a way to gel, but maybe behind Coan, and hopefully Mayer/Austin/Lenzy we keep defenses from loading up the box and we end up passing to setup the run.

Freeman, on the other hand, definitely has a lot of work to do. This was a very experienced defense that should not have given up 38 points to FSU.
                                                              I really liked Rees’ first quarter script. The flea flicker would have been amazing had it connected. I thought he went with what worked and it wasn’t the run game. The run game needs fixed, but I still thought Rees was fine.
                                                              Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluto View Post

Took a really bad angle and was a big reason that 1st long td run happened.
                                                                Actually wasn’t Griffith or a bad angle. DJ Brown just arm tackle ole’d it

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post

You’re right. Rewatched it. Brown just stopped moving and the guy ran right past him.

Comment

BK was good in the press conference.

Comment

I thought it was 33 missed the tackle on that play maybe it was several missed tackles

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper97 View Post
                                                                        Remember 2018, beating Ball State at home by one score? Or Vanderbilt at home the next week by one score? Didn’t matter because ND kept wining.
                                                                        This FSU team is better than both those teams & was on the road. If ND keeps winning, regardless of how, people will forget this game & ND will move up while others lose.
                                                                        If FSU goes 8-4, then this will be a good road win.

If FSU can’t go 8-4 in a weak ACC, then they’ve got bigger problems than we thought.

Comment

Positives:
                                                                          Doerer - 5/5 PATs, 48 yard FG, 41 game winning OT FG
                                                                          Coan - 74% comp despite drops and Hail Mary INT, 366 yards and 4 TDs
                                                                          Austin - 37 yd TD fade was #1 WR stuff.
                                                                          Offense feeding playmakers - all the targets/touches to Meyer, Austin, and Williams was great to see
                                                                          Hamilton - ball hawking his way to 2 INTs personally and tipping Lewis’s INT
                                                                          Hart - nice to see aggressiveness and solid play

Negatives:
                                                                          Defense - where to start - 1. Giving up the big play. 89 yd run and 60 yd slot go route TD to name a couple. 2. Total D allowing 442 yards and 38 points to middle of the road team. To take a page from Solid Verbal - after first two possessions for FSU - TD, punt, TD, INT, punt, Half, TD, INT, INT, TD, TD, FG. 3. Tackling. Lots of blitzes didn’t get home and their RB turned more TFL and stuffs into gains. See below.
                                                                          OL - out rushed 264 to 65. Nearly 200 yds rushing. We were one dimensional team and 6 for 17 on 3rd down showed.
                                                                          Missed roughing the punter penalty. Had to be mentioned.
                                                                          Mayer drops - both were critical.
                                                                          Flashbacks of Van Gorder days in the 4th quarter.

Comment

WTF?!?!

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Can someone tell me why they didn’t call intentional grounding on the fumble/incomplete pass late in the game?
                                                                              GO IRISH!!!

Comment

• #40

Looks like it was Griffith that got torched on the long TD pass.
                                                                                Last edited by Bluto; 09-06-2021, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by bkess8 View Post
                                                                                  Can someone tell me why they didn’t call intentional grounding on the fumble/incomplete pass late in the game?
                                                                                  Noticed fans on Buckeye Planet and Surly Horns also commenting about that. Most of those guys hate the Irish, so if they're commenting on it you know it was a blown call by the refs.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Played out how I thought it would, minus the 3 part margin of win (I was expecting 10).

I think Florida State is the second or third best team in the ACC this year if they stay healthy. They are clearly better and I hope they don't mail it in after this loss. The ND offense still needs to run the ball and I think that will come once people understand how good the passing game can become. I think ND will morph into that quickly. Coan looks poised, he played as well as I could have hoped.

The defense was gassed towards the end and I mentioned in the Freeman thread, the 3 TO's were the difference in the game. So we need to take the good with the bad and Norvell knew what he was going to get from Freeman. It was the first game in a new system and all that, but the tackling was what surprised me the most. The defense will get better, but I think we need to come to grips with the fact that big plays will happen both for us and against us. But ND will trade some big plays for more sacks / INT's / fumbles (3 INT's tonight versus 7 all last year). The key is that the offense delivers when it needs too. It was too hot and cold on offense tonight and it was what enabled FSU to stay in the game in the 1H.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Besides the 2 incredible interceptions, Hamilton also deflected the 4th down throw in the 3rd which Lewis intercepted.

Outside of Manti, he’s probably the most impactful defensive player of the Kelly era. Definitely up there with JOK and Jaylon.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        It's been mentioned on other boards, but how appropriate that FSU lost on Bobby Bowden night by going wide?

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Bluto View Post

Brown got torched on the long TD pass too. Rough night.
                                                                                          That was Griffith lol. You might just have Brown and Griffith’s #s mixed up.

I was originally WTF Freeman on that one but have come slightly around it. Was far and away not even close Travis’ best play of the night. He held Hamilton, delivered a perfect ball. Foskey maybe could have tried to bull rush his man instead of trying to find a way around, might have been making contain his top priority . Griffith wasn’t really flat footed the guy just absolutely exploded on his cut. Douglas looks like from some quick search is a backup “RB” but mainly a gadget pass play target so maybe pre-snap should have recognized who he was covering if anything

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

Noticed fans on Buckeye Planet and Surly Horns also commenting about that. Most of those guys hate the Irish, so if they're commenting on it you know it was a blown call by the refs.
                                                                                            Like usual I was loosing my mind at home! I can’t believe that no one on our staff pointed this out to BK or that he didn’t argue it!
                                                                                            GO IRISH!!!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              I was in the middle of an insane IDP fantasy football draft but that was total ass on defense. 0% chance ND plays and tackles that poorly under Lea. 0% chance.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                If Freeman hadn't started letting them run... we'd all be singing a different tune.

Pretty much everything I wanted to see happened in this game. Coan was letting it go deep with success and looked pretty damn great. Mayer blew a couple catches and the OLINE gave up in him a couple times. He looked fantastic, especially for game 1.

Tommy.had a couple bad calls... Power QB? Come on. But all things being said, I saw i a lot of dynamic play calling and willingness to go big.

D looked GREAT for a lot of the game. They weren't wrapping up... then the debacle in play calling in the 3rd and 4th.

I think Freeman is going to see what happened and stop it. And I think this offense can be explosive as f word.

Austin looks unbeatable too.

This O could be crazy.

Comment

• #49

That was Griffith lol. You might just have Brown and Griffith’s #s mixed up.
                                                                                                  g
                                                                                                  That was Cam Hart. We need names on jerseys.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

That was Cam Hart. We need names on jerseys.
                                                                                                    No it was Griffith

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X