3 Years to get a QB1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Years to get a QB1

The last 10+ Years, the biggest problem with the team has been the QB.

Book, Wimbush, Kizer, Zaire, Golson, Reese, Crist

An overall Abysmal List.

BK had three years to sell a recruit. Come, be a true freshman, or come last year and redshirt, and then come into 2021 and be the undisputed 3 to 4 year leader for NOTRE DAME

And what are they rolling into 2021 with? A top 10 team, with a noodle arm Sr. QB transfer, who lost his job 2 years ago in Wisco, was a 3 star recruit, and has no future with the program.

Awful planning and execution. Kind of embarrassing

Spicy first post. Welcome aboard.

I think Coan will do a good job this year, but I agree that the recruiting + development after Wimbush left a large roster hole. Hoping Buchner can fill it starting next year.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
      Welcome aboard.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by NDLincPark View Post

An overall Abysmal List.

BK had three years to sell a recruit. Come, be a true freshman, or come last year and redshirt, and then come into 2021 and be the undisputed 3 to 4 year leader for NOTRE DAME

And what are they rolling into 2021 with? A top 10 team, with a noodle arm Sr. QB transfer, who lost his job 2 years ago in Wisco, was a 3 star recruit, and has no future with the program.

I think you might have posted on the wrong ND site. I believe the one you are looking for is actually called NDNation.
        I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

An overall Abysmal List.

Conversely:

Coan is an experienced QB that has a proven ability to hit deep throws and a willingness to attack the middle of the field, and can act as a bridge to the type of QB you're asking for (Buchner) until he's ready.

Jurkovec is also the type of QB you're looking for, and I'd argue BK and co. aren't at fault for his decision to head to greener pastures. So they had a plan in place, and executed it via recruiting, but Book's emergence and Jurkovec's insecurities caused some upheaval.

Last, Coan didn't 'lose his job,' so much as he got Wally Pipped by another talented QB.

Overall, ND's QB situation has been weird as fuck basically since BK arrived. BK definitely bears responsibility for the way he handled the QB position in '11 and again in '16, but every other time it looked like they had a solid succession plan in place, the fickle football gods (or is it unpredictable young men, doing unpredictable young man things?) had other plans.

If I REALLY wanted to play devil's advocate to your post, which I'm still not even sure was made in good faith, I would even argue that BK and his OC's have done a pretty damn fine job with the mish-mash of QB bullshit they've been served at times, even if you argue that the issues are largely of their own making.

Comment

Saying Coan lost his job is a good way to make me not value the rest of the post lol.

Comment

An overall Abysmal List.

embarrassing for who? Why does Coan have a noodle arm?

The amazing thing is how much we've won with the QBs you listed above. I mean, we haven't seen this consistent level of success or recruiting in 30 years.

I can't wait for you to share more of your thoughts on the program.

Comment

I'm sorry, but who is "Reese"?

Crist was recruited by the previous HC.
                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                  I'm sorry, but who is "Reese"?

Crist was recruited by the previous HC.
                  So was Reese's Pieces.

Comment

An overall Abysmal List.

Welcome aboard ya flamethrower!

QB has been a big disappointment for me.

Got nothing out of Crist, Kiel or 5*Phil. OU or Clemson gets 7-8 years of very good service from guys they bring in with that much resume.

Buchner needs to pop next year and be Mayfield/Manzell in '23/'24.

As far as your take on Coan... 101 on the jug but a foot outside. Who cares how we get them anymore? Free agency is part of the game now. Should the Yankees give back their 7 free agency era championships cuz they figured out free agency first and had the checkbook to capitalize on it?

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post
                      Should the Yankees give back their 7 free agency era championships cuz they figured out free agency first and had the checkbook to capitalize on it?
                      Um, that's Major League Baseball, not amateur football.

Don't recall Reese, so as forgettable as he was, maybe QB has truly been that bad.
                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

Conversely:

Coan is an experienced QB that has a proven ability to hit deep throws and a willingness to attack the middle of the field, and can act as a bridge to the type of QB you're asking for (Buchner) until he's ready.

Jurkovec is also the type of QB you're looking for, and I'd argue BK and co. aren't at fault for his decision to head to greener pastures. So they had a plan in place, and executed it via recruiting, but Book's emergence and Jurkovec's insecurities caused some upheaval.

Last, Coan didn't 'lose his job,' so much as he got Wally Pipped by another talented QB.

Overall, ND's QB situation has been weird as fuck basically since BK arrived. BK definitely bears responsibility for the way he handled the QB position in '11 and again in '16, but every other time it looked like they had a solid succession plan in place, the fickle football gods (or is it unpredictable young men, doing unpredictable young man things?) had other plans.

If I REALLY wanted to play devil's advocate to your post, which I'm still not even sure was made in good faith, I would even argue that BK and his OC's have done a pretty damn fine job with the mish-mash of QB bullshit they've been served at times, even if you argue that the issues are largely of their own making.
                        I am curious about this point. In his year as starter at UW he averaged a full yard per completion below what ND was getting from Ian Book. I didn't want that much of him at UW but what I did see didn't really feature any attacking of the permieter.

Comment

I understand the frustration, been there done that. It’s pretty crazy to think of how many highly recruited QB’s we’ve had that didn’t pan out. But here we are, and it’s Coan.

One thing that may very well be in everyone’s favor is that Coan hasn’t been developed under our staff. Let’s hope this is the start of better things to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Um, that's Major League Baseball, not amateur football.

Don't recall Reese, so as forgettable as he was, maybe QB has truly been that bad.
                            Free agency is free agency. Watch what happens in the next two seasons as programs figure out how to use it... and recruit players into it.

Bookmark it.

Comment

anytime a thread title is vague AF you know it gon' be good
                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

Free agency is free agency. Watch what happens in the next two seasons as programs figure out how to use it... and recruit players into it.

Bookmark it.
                                It really isn't, though.

How about this comp instead: 2020 College Football Playoff. Joe Burrow, LSU. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma. Justin Fields, Ohio State.

Why not Jack Coan and Notre Dame? The last full season this kid played he had NFL people giving him pretty good write ups. He got injured and now he's returned to play for a program that's on pretty solid ground. Wisconsin has a big OL and likes to run the ball. Sounds somewhat familiar.

Weird thread.

Comment

Why not Jack Coan and Notre Dame? The last full season this kid played he had NFL people giving him pretty good write ups. He got injured and now he's returned to play for a program that's on pretty solid ground. Wisconsin has a big OL and likes to run the ball. Sounds somewhat familiar.

Weird thread.
                                  It’s crazy enough that it might just work!
                                  Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 08-17-2021, 05:46 PM. Reason: Quote formatting.

Comment

Coming in throwing bombs unlike ND's QBs the last decade. Boom.
                                    60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Koon, is that you??

#FreeKoon

Comment

An overall Abysmal List.

Get a QB?

Oh just get a QB??

Why don't I strap on my QB helmet and squeeze down into a QB cannon and fire off into QBland where QBs grow on QBbies??

Comment

Development probably the bigger issue than the actual recruits. A top program with top coaches should be able to make due with what they have got. You listed some 4-5 star guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

I am curious about this point. In his year as starter at UW he averaged a full yard per completion below what ND was getting from Ian Book. I didn't want that much of him at UW but what I did see didn't really feature any attacking of the permieter.
                                            I'm not saying he's going to be dropping dimes all over the place... but he had pretty good success attacking the deep parts of the field at Wisconsin in '19, especially when targeting Quintez Cephus.

I'd bet his yards/completion were affected by Wisconsin's offense more so than his ability and willingness to push the ball down the field. And I'd also bet that he's going to have a deeper group of pass-catchers to target in different parts of the deep thirds than he had at Wiscy, which will result in better numbers, as well.

Comment

And another thing that stands out from that highlight video now that I watch it again is Coan's ability to hit the timing routes targeting the numbers on 10-yard out routes.

He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he throws on time and with confidence, giving his receivers a chance to make plays in the space between the safeties and corners. That type of confidence, and not necessarily being worried about plays the defenders *might* be able to make, is something Book struggled with when receivers would get open on their breaks... hopefully Coan maintains that, and there isn't something in Rees/BK's coaching that suddenly makes him hesitant.

Time will tell!

Comment

An overall Abysmal List.

Someone needs a hug.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post
                                                  Development probably the bigger issue than the actual recruits. A top program with top coaches should be able to make due with what they have got. You listed some 4-5 star guys.
                                                  lol. There is an easy analysis to be done. For every QB that transferred out of ND, how did their career turn out? We have one speculative data point with Phil J. Wimbush - worse play, Golson - worse play, Zaire - worse play/couldn't earn the starting job, Crist couldn't play well at Kansas. Rees, who has extremely limited tools was maxed out under BK and Co. Kizer, who has had the best NFL coaches, fell to the earth rapidly.

Book, a 3 star recruit, led us to 2 undefeated seasons and a fun 2019.

QB recruiting is a gamble.

Comment

And another thing that stands out from that highlight video now that I watch it again is Coan's ability to hit the timing routes targeting the numbers on 10-yard out routes.

He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he throws on time and with confidence, giving his receivers a chance to make plays in the space between the safeties and corners. That type of confidence, and not necessarily being worried about plays the defenders *might* be able to make, is something Book struggled with when receivers would get open on their breaks... hopefully Coan maintains that, and there isn't something in Rees/BK's coaching that suddenly makes him hesitant.

Time will tell!
                                                    He appears to be very poised and calm based on the film clips…….he’s now 2 years older so it is logical to believe he is now stronger and more mature mentally. Hopefully he will go out on the field and excel this year.

Comment

If nothing else, welcome and thank you for your controversial post, which ignited a fun, even if questionable, conversation. With the lack of Fall Camp access, this board has been a lot quieter in August than what we're typically used to.

I think Lion nailed it, personally. Golson looked like he had a really promising career ahead of him after the '12 campaign, only to have his future derailed by the academic scandal, and then something snapped with his mental fortitude halfway through 2014. He was never the same after that ASU game in the desert.

Then Zaire looked promising in the bowl game and had that explosive start against UT in 2015, only to have a freak injury at UVA. Bk and the staff did wonders with Kizer in 2015, all things considered. 2016 is well documented, as Lion pointed out, as an absolute disaster. Wimbush had all the potential in 2017, but just wasn't consistent enough to do the things we needed offensively.

Book went from a 3 star recruit to the all time winningest QB in ND HISTORY (that goes back a long ways, I've been told) and Phil couldn't swallow losing the competition in 2020, even though he would've still had 3 years of eligibility post-Book, if he wanted it. Not sure how a fragile ego (just my opinion) is BK's fault, ultimately.

I look at that narrative and see a lot of overcoming strange obstacles and navigating detours, rather than a lack of solid recruiting and development. They DID develop Kizer. They DID develop Book. They DID develop Rees. These weren't 4-5 star studs. Only Kizer was a low 4 star, yet they got the most out of these guys who were basically supposed to be perennial backups, but instead won us a ton of games while our top guys faced injuries, suspensions, etc.

Although the QB situation has been fluky and less than ideal for the most part this past decade, I feel like kudos are in order more so than pointing fingers.

And I just have to say it: Rees had a noodle arm; not sure I'd put Coan in that category. And I still loved Touchdown Tommy.
                                                      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

If Golson would have learned to tuck the ball when he ran, we might have had a natty. You just knew the fumble was coming. Agree on Coan. He may not have a cannon, but the clips show decent arm strength and the ability to go deep when needed. He lost the job due to injury. That happens at times. He can also run, so don't be surprised if he runs more than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                                                          And I just have to say it: Rees had a noodle arm; not sure I'd put Coan in that category. And I still loved Touchdown Tommy.
                                                          He was a statue with a noodle arm... but he was a gunslinger with ice running through his veins, and he scored the best rushing touchdown of 2012 (of which there were MANY good ones).

Tommy Rees, Notre Dame Man.

Comment

I'm not saying he's going to be dropping dimes all over the place... but he had pretty good success attacking the deep parts of the field at Wisconsin in '19, especially when targeting Quintez Cephus.

I'd bet his yards/completion were affected by ND's offense more so than his ability and willingness to push the ball down the field. And I'd also bet that he's going to have a deeper group of pass-catchers to target in different parts of the deep thirds than he had at Wiscy, which will result in better numbers, as well.

Pure Kellyesque QB Fuel....
                                                            "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                              If Golson would have learned to tuck the ball when he ran, we might have had a natty. You just knew the fumble was coming. Agree on Coan. He may not have a cannon, but the clips show decent arm strength and the ability to go deep when needed. He lost the job due to injury. That happens at times. He can also run, so don't be surprised if he runs more than expected.
                                                              you may be correct about Golson, but I'm not sure.

I always wondered, and still do, if he was more piano player than football player, a guy really too sensitive to put up with the rigors and scrutiny of an ND QB.

I was always fascinated by his incredible abiility to break the pocket, run a few yards with his eyes downfield, reset and throw a 30 yard strike.

oh well,........

I have more hope for Coan than I did for Book. I respect Book's efforts, not his skills....let's leave it there

Comment

He was a statue with a noodle arm... but he was a gunslinger with ice running through his veins, and he scored the best rushing touchdown of 2012 (of which there were MANY good ones).

Tommy Rees, Notre Dame Man.
                                                                1000%, that QB sneak on scUM was glorious.
                                                                My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

Anyone with a brain would have seen this.

I was spot on
                                                                  Last edited by NDLincPark; 10-03-2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

That’s how you spike the football in these fanboys’ faces right there,……….
                                                                    There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

Comment

I was spot on
                                                                      Don’t throw your out shoulder from patting yourself on the back so hard.

Comment

I was spot on
                                                                        It really is astonishing how bad BK has been with QB's over the last 12 years

Comment

I was spot on
                                                                          What a hot take. Upgrade this guy to water distribution engineer.

Comment

I was spot on
                                                                            You really were. Don’t remember anyone discussing the QB problems here before you brought it up. Well done.
                                                                            "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by NDRock View Post

You really were. Don’t remember anyone discussing the QB problems here before you brought it up. Well done.

you and the majority of the ND Fans boys were lauding Coan, saying How perfect of a fit he’d be here. 5th year with experience! Gamer! Exactly what we need!!

own it. Especially after the FSU game, you guys were gushing over him. FSU is atrocious and you acted like he was Joe Burrow. Can’t make up the annual Irish delusion

Comment

• #40

you and the majority of the ND Fans boys were lauding Coan, saying How perfect of a fit he’d be here. 5th year with experience! Gamer! Exactly what we need!!

own it. Especially after the FSU game, you guys were gushing over him. FSU is atrocious and you acted like he was Joe Burrow. Can’t make up the annual Irish delusion
                                                                                I doubt you'd be able to thump your chest if the O-line did their job, because neither Buchner or Pyne are lighting it up.

Comment

• #41

You’re right. You’ve shown me the light. Only thing left now is to burn my Coan jersey, take his posters off my wall, and change my son’s name back (we’d started the paperwork of renaming him Jack after the FSU game). Thank you for your service.
                                                                                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by NDRock View Post

You’re right. You’ve shown me the light. Only thing left now is to burn my Coan jersey, take his posters off my wall, and change my son’s name back (we’d started the paperwork of renaming him Jack after the FSU game). Thank you for your service.
                                                                                    It’s ok to just realize he was a shit qb in Wisco

had zero upside

and was an embarrassing choice for ND to cling onto, when they had 3 years to plan for a QB under Book.

Comment

• #43

It’s ok to just realize he was a shit qb in Wisco

had zero upside

and was an embarrassing choice for ND to cling onto, when they had 3 years to plan for a QB under Book.
                                                                                      I dont think anyone in the world other than you thought he was bad at Wisconsin.
                                                                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

I dont think anyone in the world other than you thought he was bad at Wisconsin.
                                                                                        That’s because Notre dame fans think avg/mediocre is great when it comes to qb

Comment

• #45

I thought Coan would be a good fit. Not a superstar, but a good fit while Buchner is groomed, but not a college or pro QB around looks great when the O-line is bad.

Comment

• #46

What are you defining as great? What makes a guy average or bad? I'm irritated ND didn't have a guy ready too. Phil didn't work out. Hopefully Buchner does.
                                                                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Buchner ain’t the guy either. Sure hope they realize that and don’t waste 3 more years pretending he may be.

he can’t even beat out coan, lol.

Kelly has to be the only d1 coach in history to play all 3 of his qbs routinely. It’s actually hilarious to watch

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Buchner ain’t the guy either. Sure hope they realize that and don’t waste 3 more years pretending he may be.

Kelly has to be the only d1 coach in history to play all 3 of his qbs routinely. It’s actually hilarious to watch
                                                                                                This is stupid. He has been here for what, 5 games? He didn't play high school football last year either. Let's calm down.

Comment

• #49

This is why I hate a large part of our fan base. What a horrible take about Buchner.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    What a hilarious List over the last 15 years.

2021 Jack Coan Sr. September 5 5 4–1
                                                                                                    2020 Ian Book Sr. 12 10–2
                                                                                                    2019 Ian Book Sr. 13 11–2
                                                                                                    2018 Brandon Wimbush Sr. 4 4–0
                                                                                                    Ian Book Jr. 9 8–1
                                                                                                    2017 Brandon Wimbush Jr. September 2 12 9–3
                                                                                                    Ian Book So. October 6 1 1–0
                                                                                                    2016 DeShone Kizer So. 12 4–8
                                                                                                    2015 DeShone Kizer Fr. September 19 11 8–3
                                                                                                    Malik Zaire Jr. 2 2–0
                                                                                                    2014 Everett Golson Sr. 12 7–5
                                                                                                    Malik Zaire So. December 30 1 1–0
                                                                                                    2013 Tommy Rees Sr. 13 9–4
                                                                                                    2012 Tommy Rees Jr. 2 2–0
                                                                                                    Everett Golson So. September 1 11 10–1
                                                                                                    2011 Tommy Rees So. 12 8–4
                                                                                                    Dayne Crist Sr. 1 0–1
                                                                                                    2010 Tommy Rees Fr. November 13 4 4–0
                                                                                                    Dayne Crist Jr. September 4 9 4–5
                                                                                                    2009 Jimmy Clausen Jr. 12 6–6 AA
                                                                                                    2008 Jimmy Clausen So. 13 7–6
                                                                                                    2007 Evan Sharpley Jr. October 20 2 0–2
                                                                                                    Jimmy Clausen Fr. September 8 9 3–6
                                                                                                    Demetrius Jones

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X