ND Players from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND Players from the Past

I love running across tweets like this and always want to share them. Thought a capture thread to dump them into would be a good start because I plan to build "Class of" Sub-Forums in the future to handle the pre-IE / pre-247/Rivals/Scout era... And I'd love some help doing it!

Anyways, here's my all-time favorite ND player. Thee man among men.

Rocky Bleier is a man amongst dudes. Toughness personified

Comment

Comment

Comment

Minor, Tatum, Cobbins and Berry. I can't think of a group of players that would've had more influence on me as a kid. Playing LB at a Catholic HS in the Midwest these guys were it for me as an ND fan.
          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Minor, Tatum, Cobbins and Berry. I can't think of a group of players that would've had more influence on me as a kid. Playing LB at a Catholic HS in the Midwest these guys were it for me as an ND fan.
            Bishop Amat Kory Minor was on of my favorites players back in the day. (has nothing to do with me going to Damien High School :D)
            YYZ by RUSH (cover) - (only the last half)
            Billie Stephens' Fiery Disaster -- Dancin' with Myself (partial cover)

Comment

Is it just me or does it feel like it's been 84 years since ND played a football game?

Comment

I'm gonna try to get Bert on here to talk some O'Skool Irish Football and if he's got any AZ kids he's training now that Del needs to be offering.

Comment

Comment

Our company offered a job (accounting) to a former ND football player today and I am stoked. For obvious reasons, I was not allowed to talk to him during the interview process haha
                    The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

Wasn’t Minor the Defensive Player of the Year in HS his senior year? I’m sure it was Parade or one of those outlets that were considered the Rivals/247 of their day.

Comment

The kinnon Tatum goal line play against USC will forever be one of my favorite all time plays
                        Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Hornung

Lamonica

Theismann

Lynch

Rockne and ???????

Last edited by Irish#1; 06-25-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Bertelli and ?

Clements

Hanratty
                            Last edited by Irish#1; 06-25-2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post
                              Is it just me or does it feel like it's been 84 years since ND played a football game?
                              I remember my first off-season

Comment

Originally posted by Irishize View Post

Wasn’t Minor the Defensive Player of the Year in HS his senior year? I’m sure it was Parade or one of those outlets that were considered the Rivals/247 of their day.
                                Correct. Teammates with Daylon McCutcheon who went to USC. Parade and USA Today were pretty much it.
                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post

The kinnon Tatum goal line play against USC will forever be one of my favorite all time plays
                                  Berry jumped on that fumble.

Comment

So cool story, I say Rick Mirer post an awesome picture on twitter. I commented on it how it was awesome and wanted to know if I could buy it somewhere. he said that was the only copy that he knew of but would send it to me if I sent him my email address.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. Its my job to make sure we become that family.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post
                                      Last year definitely felt longer, but this sure seems like another long offseason.

Comment

Last edited by BobbyMac; 07-17-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

These would be a cool throwback game uni. I'd like to have a game worn, radioactive helmet for the office..
                                          http://www.helmethut.com/College/Not...959Clover.html
                                          Last edited by BobbyMac; 07-19-2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post
                                            He seems like he was in the wrong era or he would’ve been a Hall-of-Famer. He was a modern day passer (hence his nickname) in an era that didn’t appreciate his value. Obviously, the further down the field you throw the ball, the higher incidence of incomplete passes.

I’m biased as an ND fan, but I think Theismann is a HOFer. In fact, I bet most NFL fans assume he is already in Canton.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishize View Post

He seems like he was in the wrong era or he would’ve been a Hall-of-Famer. He was a modern day passer (hence his nickname) in an era that didn’t appreciate his value. Obviously, the further down the field you throw the ball, the higher incidence of incomplete passes.

I’m biased as an ND fan, but I think Theismann is a HOFer. In fact, I bet most NFL fans assume he is already in Canton.
                                              I was going to say, he's probably the best former ND player that people least talk about. He was obviously a good roll model for young John Huarte.

Comment

A couple of VA players Penn St didn't get!

Robert Banks (far left) was the HS NPOY in '82 and a 3 year starter at OLB/DE under Faust & Holtz.

Andy Heck was a Capt on Lou's '88 team. Still mad HH didn't go after his kids. As a rookie, Charlie Heck was the back up RT in Houston last season and started a game.

Comment

These would be a cool throwback game uni. I'd like to have a game worn, radioactive helmet for the office.

This isn't showing up for me.

Comment

A couple of VA players Penn St didn't get!

Robert Banks (far left) was the HS NPOY in '82 and a 3 year starter at OLB/DE under Faust & Holtz.

Andy Heck was a Capt on Lou's '88 team. Still mad HH didn't go after his kids. As a rookie, Charlie Heck was the back up RT in Houston last season and started a game.
                                                    Wasn’t Heck originally a TE they moved to tackle?

Comment

So i just finished the Zorich podcast with Freeman and it reminded me of a story i dont share too often. During the 2008 (might have been 2009) season, my sister helped run the hospitality village during home games. At the time, it was treated as a pretty exclusive event. It was basically used as a way to bring former players in to mingle with fans/sponsors/donors. Long story short, she hired me to basically shuttle former players and alums around in golf carts. Got to meet a lot of the greats. Montana is an ass.
                                                      But nothing compares to my time with Zorich. I was sent to go pick him up from the Joyce, he had an office in there at the time. I dont want to say he was drunk, but he was really enjoying the day. He gave me a cigar, handed me a tip, and told me I was with him for the day. From the building to the tailgate, he randomly hopped out of the cart several times to shake hands and sneak in a drink or 2. I dropped him off at the hospitality village and waited at the cart for him. After about an hour, he comes back and ask me to take him to the stadium. Now its about an hour before kickoff so the lot was packed. This is where it went south.
                                                      When getting into the cart, he pulled so hard on the frame that he tipped the cart over with me inside. We flipped it back up and headed toward the stadium. Its not easy to get from there to the stadium with everyone in the lot. He kept saying "im late". At one point, a couple was slowly walking in front of us and Zorich was getting upset. He actually reached over and hit the gas pedal with his foot. I ended up hitting the guy. He started to get pissed until he realized it was Zorich and went complete fanboy. They got a picture with him and all was well. Got him to the stadium and he couldnt remember which gate he was supposed to be at. After 2 passes around the stadium, he told me to just stop and he got out. He told me to pick him up at that spot at halftime but he never showed.
                                                      Im not at all trying to talk bad of him because he was very kind throughout the day. Just was an experience i wasnt ready for.

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

This isn't showing up for me.
                                                        http://www.helmethut.com/College/Not...959Clover.html

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Wasn’t Heck originally a TE they moved to tackle?
                                                          Yep, just like his son Charlie who started 4 years at OT for UNC.
                                                          https://247sports.com/Player/Charlie...school-135366/

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                          Working...
                                                          X