Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football Playoff Expansion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    I have a hard time worrying about ND ever not being on TV every week. Is that really a thing? I've had YouTube TV for nearly two years and I have more than enough channels to where I see Wake Forest, Army, Fresno State, etc. and I live in the Midwest. Who the hell is watching these teams play?

    I think I recall ND being blacked out for a road game at Air Force when Weis was coach. This elusive channel the game was provided on wound up being CBS Sports Network, which I now have and once watched Florida Atlantic play Marshall on a few years ago.

    Conference or not, ND is going to be on TV because these dudes all know what's good for them.
    ESPN is in just under 2/3 of television households. That’s a lot of people who get ND games but don’t pay for live streaming/cable.

    They are less likely to be sports fans than those who pay but it’s still 40-50 million additional households ND reaches when on broadcast.

    Comment


    • I think some may be overlooking the fact that in this format, the top 4 seeds doesn't necessarily mean the top 4 TEAMS in the playoffs. They are reserved for conference champions.

      Hypothetically, would you rather play top 4-seeded USC/Oregon/Washington or Oklahoma in the second game, or potentially take on the second best of Georgia/Alabama/LSU in the first?

      I'll take the former.

      Jack did a fine job with this negotiation. Although it's BS how some of these southern schools schedule in November, we never have to hear about the "13th data point" argument and very likely will be hosting a December playoff game in the near future. Not too shabby.
      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by TNUtoNotreDame View Post

        Quality opponents. LOL. Yeah give me Duke and Wake Forest! I demand more BC!!!!! NBC demands more NC State!!!!

        FYI, the ACC would allow us to keep the NBC contract. Your boy Swarbrick is such a great negotiator that should be no problem.

        Do better.
        Lol. I almost discussed the weakest opponents of the ACC, Big 10, etc but I thought you'd give more energy to your reply. I noticed that you didn't reply to any of my other questions, probably not on accident eh?



        I concede, we should join a conference and play a CCG every year. We should schedule FCS schools in the remaining spots.

        Naturally, I want us to throw away our independence because some fans don't see the point.


        We should shit on Swarbrick because we all have about 75% of the IQ points.

        The ACC would allow us to keep the contract but there'd be some type of profit-sharing built in. Why would we want to join a conference again? I haven't heard the strong point for going from 62.5% to 100%. Why should we give up our yearly games in California with USC and to a lesser extent Stanford?

        Help me better understand your position on why we need to go all in. I really don't see the benefits so maybe I'm missing something. The certainty of your position should make this very simple: share your compelling position and we'll all end up agreeing with you.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

          ESPN is in just under 2/3 of television households. That’s a lot of people who get ND games but don’t pay for live streaming/cable.

          They are less likely to be sports fans than those who pay but it’s still 40-50 million additional households ND reaches when on broadcast.
          I guess as a fan, I'm more concerned with ND winning another NC than their NBC TV Deal money. Again, forgive me for repeating myself, but if being on NBC is what has to be done in order to win another National Championship then do that, by all means. January of 1989 was a long time ago.

          I know Jack Swarbrick is doing what is best for ND and not the fans, and I have no issue with the job he's done, but it ultimately comes down to that for me: getting the program as many bites at the apple as possible until they finally win another one.
          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
            I guess as a fan, I'm more concerned with ND winning another NC than their NBC TV Deal money. Again, forgive me for repeating myself, but if being on NBC is what has to be done in order to win another National Championship then do that, by all means. January of 1989 was a long time ago.

            I know Jack Swarbrick is doing what is best for ND and not the fans, and I have no issue with the job he's done, but it ultimately comes down to that for me: getting the program as many bites at the apple as possible until they finally win another one.
            We're in a weird spot where ND's admin isn't willing to jump into the CFB arms race fully, but they also aren't willing to give up on competing against those programs yet. So it makes sense that we'd position to get as many play-off runs as possible (even if each individual run is longer odds), since we don't know what the coming decades will bring re congressional investigations, further consolidation into 4 super leagues, etc.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

              In this instance, the Supreme Court would say it's like porn...you know it when you see it.

              This wasn't an upset.
              Nothing wrong with porn when done tastefully.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                I have a hard time worrying about ND ever not being on TV every week. Is that really a thing? I've had YouTube TV for nearly two years and I have more than enough channels to where I see Wake Forest, Army, Fresno State, etc. and I live in the Midwest. Who the hell is watching these teams play?

                I think I recall ND being blacked out for a road game at Air Force when Weis was coach. This elusive channel the game was provided on wound up being CBS Sports Network, which I now have and once watched Florida Atlantic play Marshall on a few years ago.

                Conference or not, ND is going to be on TV because these dudes all know what's good for them.
                Only their fans and diehard FB junkies who are betting. If someone wants to see their team play on TV, more than likely they can find the game somewhere.

                The difference is ND is the only team whose game is going to be broadcast nationally most every week.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

                  Nothing wrong with porn when done tastefully.
                  This is a family-friendly website for fans of Our Lady's university.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TNUtoNotreDame View Post

                    We already play 62.5% of a full conference slate, yet we get no benefit from it (no CCG access). That is not great negotiation in my opinion, that is a failure by Jack. We have partnered with the weakest of the conferences who feed us a bunch of crap game s(With an occasional Clemson). I wish we would go 100% independent, or join all in. The Big East sounds a lot better than the crap-fest ACC.

                    Has nothing to do with thickness, it has to do with perception of the current situation. just because someone points out a different view does not make them "thick". Do better.
                    The Big East doesn't play football.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

                      This is a family-friendly website for fans of Our Lady's university.

                      He brought it up. Just sayin'!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

                        We're in a weird spot where ND's admin isn't willing to jump into the CFB arms race fully, but they also aren't willing to give up on competing against those programs yet. So it makes sense that we'd position to get as many play-off runs as possible (even if each individual run is longer odds), since we don't know what the coming decades will bring re congressional investigations, further consolidation into 4 super leagues, etc.
                        They've haven't been willing to jump in fully for decades. We know that to be the case for ND, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke. Only one of those is a footall school, though.

                        Two things I know for sure:

                        1. It's not about me. If it was, I wouldn't be here putting my opinions into the Internet, but since that's all I have...it's not about me.
                        2. The next alingnment shift is coming. It's a matter of when, not if. I guess I'd rather be in ND's shoes than anyone in the Big 12 other than Texas and OU.
                        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

                          The Big East doesn't play football.
                          lol
                          My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

                            They've haven't been willing to jump in fully for decades. We know that to be the case for ND, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke. Only one of those is a footall school, though.

                            Two things I know for sure:

                            1. It's not about me. If it was, I wouldn't be here putting my opinions into the Internet, but since that's all I have...it's not about me.
                            2. The next alingnment shift is coming. It's a matter of when, not if. I guess I'd rather be in ND's shoes than anyone in the Big 12 other than Texas and OU.
                            KU's fine too. They can join the B1G with Mizzou even if Texas doesn't join the B1G. If UT goes B1G, then OU to the SEC I'd imagine. This is all based on the B1G's AAU affiliation rules of course. That could change with the amount of money coming after the SuperCon's happen.

                            Comment


                            • It would’ve been nice for this to have been negotiated before ND scheduled tOSU, TAMU & Alabama since now it makes more since to strategically schedule like the SEC.

                              ND is in a better spot for maintaining independence b/c the ACC has nothing really to offer them that ND can’t get on their own. They’d have to beat Clemson every year in the ACC CG to be one of the top 4 anyway so joining a conference doesn’t guarantee them squat as long as Dabo is there.

                              Gus Malzahn has to be pretty happy about the new CFP format. He’s got a clearer path now at UCF than he did at Auburn w/ less stress. The former UCF HC however left that clearer path for the meat grinder that is the SEC. At least he’ll be cashing much bigger paychecks but his first goal needs to be building UT up to at least a top 12 program b/c they have a loooong way to get to before worrying about avoiding a bye and being SEC champs.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                It would’ve been nice for this to have been negotiated before ND scheduled tOSU, TAMU & Alabama since now it makes more since to strategically schedule like the SEC.

                                ND is in a better spot for maintaining independence b/c the ACC has nothing really to offer them that ND can’t get on their own. They’d have to beat Clemson every year in the ACC CG to be one of the top 4 anyway so joining a conference doesn’t guarantee them squat as long as Dabo is there.

                                Gus Malzahn has to be pretty happy about the new CFP format. He’s got a clearer path now at UCF than he did at Auburn w/ less stress. The former UCF HC however left that clearer path for the meat grinder that is the SEC. At least he’ll be cashing much bigger paychecks but his first goal needs to be building UT up to at least a top 12 program b/c they have a loooong way to get to before worrying about avoiding a bye and being SEC champs.
                                They’ve been scheduling those games in prep for this though. It’ll likely reward “best losses” in terms of just making the playoff. It’s the reason many SEC teams actually do have bigger games in the non con horizon.

                                Comment


                                • I had to have missed this somewhere on the site today and it needs it's own thread but...

                                  Rod West was named to he CFP Selection Committee. Wow.

                                  Comment


                                  • He has the resume to back it up.

                                    West lettered three years at linebacker and tight end at Notre Dame, including the Fighting Irish's 1988 national championship football team. He is a past president of the Allstate Sugar Bowl and a member of the board of directors for the National Football Foundation.

                                    West is currently group president, utility operations for Entergy Corporation, and is responsible for the operational and financial performance of Entergy's five operating companies.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                      He has the resume to back it up.
                                      The 40 Year Decision seems to be paying off.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                        I had to have missed this somewhere on the site today and it needs it's own thread but...

                                        Rod West was named to he CFP Selection Committee. Wow.

                                        #4for40
                                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                        Comment


                                        • Even got the ultra-rare tweet from the OG home office in Le Mans.

                                          You go George! Wouldn't surprise me if Freeman inquires about any remaining eligibility.



                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

                                            KU's fine too. They can join the B1G with Mizzou even if Texas doesn't join the B1G. If UT goes B1G, then OU to the SEC I'd imagine. This is all based on the B1G's AAU affiliation rules of course. That could change with the amount of money coming after the SuperCon's happen.
                                            Why would Mizzou leave the SEC for the B1G, though?
                                            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

                                              Why would Mizzou leave the SEC for the B1G, though?
                                              Proper affiliation amongst piers both athletically and academically and always... more money.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

                                                Proper affiliation amongst piers both athletically and academically and always... more money.
                                                If that's the case, Arkansas should join the Big 12 and maybe the Big 12 can survive. I have honestly never liked that fit at all.
                                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

                                                  If that's the case, Arkansas should join the Big 12 and maybe the Big 12 can survive. I have honestly never liked that fit at all.
                                                  There'll be no Big 12 when the Super Conferences form.

                                                  But I agree with you on Ark to the Big 12. They will always be a SWC school to me but there's more money and stability in the SEC for them. I mean, Texas WILL leave and the league falls apart. The B1G grabs the AAU schools that make sense and the rest pick at the crumbs.

                                                  Iowa State's the real loser. They are an AAU school but why would the B1G want them, they own all the TV's in Iowa already That leaves the PAC or a bump down to the outsiders in the future G5/FCS. Maybe the B1G will kick out Nebraska for losing its AAU membership and Iowa St. now has a much needed travel partner for the PAC?

                                                  This is a fascinating topic to me.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

                                                    There'll be no Big 12 when the Super Conferences form.

                                                    But I agree with you on Ark to the Big 12. They will always be a SWC school to me but there's more money and stability in the SEC for them. I mean, Texas WILL leave and the league falls apart. The B1G grabs the AAU schools that make sense and the rest pick at the crumbs.

                                                    Iowa State's the real loser. They are an AAU school but why would the B1G want them, they own all the TV's in Iowa already That leaves the PAC or a bump down to the outsiders in the future G5/FCS. Maybe the B1G will kick out Nebraska for losing its AAU membership and Iowa St. now has a much needed travel partner for the PAC?

                                                    This is a fascinating topic to me.
                                                    There definitely will not be.

                                                    Nebraska has not been a natural fit. Maryland and Rutgers obviously not either. Could the B1G snag Kentucky out of the SEC and maybe pull WVU, UVA and VT as well?

                                                    Would make basketball absolutely mental.
                                                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

                                                      There definitely will not be.

                                                      Nebraska has not been a natural fit. Maryland and Rutgers obviously not either. Could the B1G snag Kentucky out of the SEC and maybe pull WVU, UVA and VT as well?

                                                      Would make basketball absolutely mental.
                                                      Schools have to be research institutions to join the B1G. It's in the bylaws. I agree with Cruz that if this goes to super conferences, then the B1G may need to alter that. I think if Nebraska FB was hitting on more cylinders and more competitive most would say they are a great fit for the B1G. After all, they are in the MW unlike WVU or VT. I don't know if UK is a research institution, but I doubt they would switch. They like being the top dog in BB.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

                                                        There definitely will not be.

                                                        Nebraska has not been a natural fit. Maryland and Rutgers obviously not either. Could the B1G snag Kentucky out of the SEC and maybe pull WVU, UVA and VT as well?

                                                        Would make basketball absolutely mental.
                                                        UK, VT & WV aren't AAU schools so probably not unless the B1G changes their charter.

                                                        Schools the B1G could go after are UVa, UNC, Vandy, GT, Mizzou, KU and of course Texas. Pitt, ISU and Duke are qualifiers but they would rather have the bigger school in that's state's market.

                                                        Comment




                                                        • Pathetic lol

                                                          Comment

                                                          Adsense

                                                          Collapse
                                                          Working...
                                                          X