College Football Playoff Expansion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
    ND will be joining the ACC. No way ND gets ranked 1-4 and intentionally gets seeded less than that and has to play an extra game just becasue.
    Then they would have to end up playing a 13th game in a CCG anyway. I'd rather stay independent, go 12-0, and then host a 1st round playoff game than have to play Clemson in a CCG, possibly lose and then play a 14th game in your 1st round playoff game.
    "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

shitty logic IMO. A 12-0 ND has to play as the 5 seed. Let's say there are 3 upsets in conference championship week. a 9-3 15th ranked team is going to get a bye now?

This isn't happening until 2023 at least so hopefully Swarbrick will be able to iron out some provisions.
      Its not simple and I hate the optics. a 12-0 ND team ranked 1-2 rests on Championship week then gets seeded 5th by default. Cant deny I dont envy JS's position in that room but damn... is independence worth just to be "included" with playoff "access"?

Although a palyoff game in December likely against a southern team... what would SB be like during that?
      Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 06-10-2021, 03:17 PM.
      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

shitty logic IMO. A 12-0 ND has to play as the 5 seed. Let's say there are 3 upsets in conference championship week. a 9-3 15th ranked team is going to get a bye now?

This isn't happening until 2023 at least so hopefully Swarbrick will be able to iron out some provisions.
        I doubt a 9-3, 15th ranked team would end up being one of the top 4 ranked conference champions. If we're 5th, we'll play the #12 seed. Chances are they won't be great and it will be at home.
        "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Here's a more likely scenario that would chap my ass:

ND finishes 11-1 after losing to undefeated Clemson who wins the ACCCG and beating USC who wins the Pac12CG and finishes 12-1. In all likelihood, USC would get a higher seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post

I doubt a 9-3, 15th ranked team would end up being one of the top 4 ranked conference champions. If we're 5th, we'll play the #12 seed. Chances are they won't be great and it will be at home.
            Conference championship week will give 7-5 or 8-4 teams a play-in game for the playoff. If there are enough upsets championship week, you could see a 9-3 team get a bye. Unlikely sure, but it's part of why the conference champion provision stinks IMO.

Comment

Conference championship week will give 7-5 or 8-4 teams a play-in game for the playoff. If there are enough upsets championship week, you could see a 9-3 team get a bye. Unlikely sure, but it's part of why the conference champion provision stinks IMO.
              That's always one of those popular "what ifs"? but it rarely ever happens. A quick glance at past results found the amount of times a 4 or 5 loss team won a CCG were as follows:

SEC - 0/29 games
              ACC - 2/16 games (2005, 2008)
              Pac 12 - 1/12 games (1996)
              Pac 12 - 0/10 games
              Big 10 - 1/10 games (2012)

So, 4 times in 77 games. Chances of it happening in 3 games in the same year are minimal. Hardly any teams actually qualify for the games.

Comment

That's always one of those popular "what ifs"? but it rarely ever happens. A quick glance at past results found the amount of times a 4 or 5 loss team won a CCG were as follows:

SEC - 0/29 games
                ACC - 2/16 games (2005, 2008)
                Pac 12 - 1/12 games (1996)
                Pac 12 - 0/10 games
                Big 10 - 1/10 games (2012)

So, 4 times in 77 games. Chances of it happening in 3 games in the same year are minimal. Hardly any teams actually qualify for the games.
                I took it to the extreme but the point stands that occasionally, we are going to see a 10 win team that would be a 12 seed get a bye over ND or another deserving team.

Anywho, sounds irrelevant:

Comment

Its not simple and I hate the optics. a 12-0 ND team ranked 1-2 rests on Championship week then gets seeded 5th by default. Cant deny I dont envy JS's position in that room but damn... is independence worth just to be "included" with playoff "access"?

Although a palyoff game in December likely against a southern team... what would SB be like during that?
                  This is all starting to feel like ND is the Shelly "The Machine" Levine of Glengary Glen Ross.
                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• This is about participation trophies and playoff money, nothing more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huntr View Post

The 8 best are the 8 best.

But, it's why they're doing the system this way instead of the best way - too many bitch programs that are bad at football need their participation trophies.
                      Yup, specifically PAC 12 and Big 12.

Should've just kept it at 4 and made the next 4 teams the football NIT for the participation trophies lol.

This doesn't make college football better. Waters down the reg season and gives Bama and Clemson a few more subpar teams to smash.
                      The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

If you're in another conference, wouldn't you almost want ND to have that provision? With their current schedule, 10-2 is not a guarantee every year, meaning not a guarantee for one of the 12 spots. If they're in the ACC, ND is a lock for the playoff 9 times out of 10 meaning less spots for the other conferences. ND as is isn't getting top 4 without going undefeated which is only going to happen 2-3 times a decade.
                        This literally just happened like 6 months ago

Comment

• I’m sure ND is all broken up over the fact that if a top 4 team, they will be forced to host a prime home game in a national spotlight instead of getting a bye.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
                            I’m sure ND is all broken up over the fact that if a top 4 team, they will be forced to host a prime home game in a national spotlight instead of getting a bye.
                            Maybe, but let's not pretend that it's not a disadvantage. The school loves exposure, but for a team that shits the bed every playoff game (and most big games), this is not an attractive layout.

Comment

• Well, IMO, a few years of playoff games at home against #12 seems like a good way to buck that perception.

Comment

• Originally posted by TNUtoNotreDame View Post

Maybe, but let's not pretend that it's not a disadvantage. The school loves exposure, but for a team that shits the bed every playoff game (and most big games), this is not an attractive layout.
                                I don't know. A 5th seed means you are playing a 12 seed at home. That's better than having to join a conference. I'll take that trade.

Comment

I don't know. A 5th seed means you are playing a 12 seed at home. That's better than having to join a conference. I'll take that trade.

I agree, then you would get the 4 seed at a neutral site which would be the weakest conference champ of the top 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by benneboy View Post

This literally just happened like 6 months ago
                                    hence 2-3 times a decade?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
                                      Well, IMO, a few years of playoff games at home against #12 seems like a good way to buck that perception.
                                      We've all been dreaming of a NY6 game against a G5. This could become the norm lol
                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• This is great. I get an extra game. If ND's good enough for it to matter, they'll get a lay down at home and then get a #3 or #4 seed on a neutral field.

Can't have it all. Independence has a price.

Plus, now you can play some big money games and a second loss isn't the end of your hopes.

Swarbrick and the Admin seeing Big Bucks and less Whammy's

Comment

• To me this is all about money. The rich talented teams with still be there leading the pack. Let’s face it we struggle terribly against Clemson now and still will in this case. Clemson and us are close in recruiting but their skill players blow ours out of the water. So it’s unlikely that ND wins the championship in the first place. I love this football team as much as anyone but we have to face the facts. We talk about ND being every other teams super bowl and blah blah can you see us playing 10, 11, or 12 and them bringing their best and ND losing. That will be a worse case scenario. But if we join the acc we get to have a much easier schedule.
                                          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                            To me this is all about money. The rich talented teams with still be there leading the pack. Let’s face it we struggle terribly against Clemson now and still will in this case. Clemson and us are close in recruiting but their skill players blow ours out of the water. So it’s unlikely that ND wins the championship in the first place. I love this football team as much as anyone but we have to face the facts. We talk about ND being every other teams super bowl and blah blah can you see us playing 10, 11, or 12 and them bringing their best and ND losing. That will be a worse case scenario. But if we join the acc we get to have a much easier schedule.
                                            I'm not sure I understand your point? Join the ACC because we might lose to a lower seed in the playoffs? And somehow that makes it easier even though our skill players aren't as good as Clemson's? I still need my coffee, maybe I'm missing the pretext and the subtext.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                              To me this is all about money. The rich talented teams with still be there leading the pack. Let’s face it we struggle terribly against Clemson now and still will in this case. Clemson and us are close in recruiting but their skill players blow ours out of the water. So it’s unlikely that ND wins the championship in the first place. I love this football team as much as anyone but we have to face the facts. We talk about ND being every other teams super bowl and blah blah can you see us playing 10, 11, or 12 and them bringing their best and ND losing. That will be a worse case scenario. But if we join the acc we get to have a much easier schedule.
                                              It's always about the money. Everything else is window dressing to try and cover up the fact it's about the money.

Comment

• I think I like it, in general.

1. 90% chance to be in at 10-2 or better, unless it's a REALLY weird year with multiple worthy group-of-5 schools (like last year with Cincy, Coastal Carolina, and BYU) AND strong P5 runners up. If it's a close thing, expect the rankings to be friendly to ND because TV ratings and money.

2. Playing the lowest of the top seeds if you win your first-round home game (which will also likely be a favorable matchup).

The drawbacks:
                                                - There will be a year in the near future where ND is clearly a top-2 team, but then not only misses the bye, but also gets screwed playing against whatever P5 team had a weird loss and then gets a superstar player back in time for the playoffs, followed by a game against Ohio State or Clemson, who got under-seeded for whatever reason.
                                                - If you're always banking on shooting for the 5-seed, you're going to be in range for a home playoff game against the best group-of-5 champ or at-large, which means you're always fighting against an underdog with an 'on-the-road' mentality, and that emotional rollercoaster is going to go well for the little guys at some point.

Comment

• I love the expansion, I want more games with that high intensity. This will be a boon for ND, it will bring in more big time teams to South Bend and it gives ND way more margin for error in early games. With the transfer rules and the changing landscape, there are going to be more stubbed toes out of the gate, this allows you to absorb a bad loss and still have something to fight for.

I'm actually thrilled with this idea, I was afraid they'd only expand to 6 teams. Hope this gets unanimous backing (can't find a scenario where a conference would vote against) and I hope it's ready to go for 2023 when Buchner is our QB

Comment

• I'm fine with the extra game, but automatically being the 5 seed at best makes this a fail for me from an ND perspective. Setting aside the fact that it's going to completely screw with ND's ability to make future historical arguments or recruiting pitches around average seeding level, or most often seeded in the top 4, it's just a much harder road. I would've much preferred that the extra games are played between the at-large teams, then there's a re-ranking to determine seeding. I think everyone is underestimating how much harder it will be to play #4 coming off playing a tough top 12 opponent versus #7 or #8 off a bye.

I also really hate Swarbrick trying to deflect this as being fair because it's like a make-up of a conference championship game. It's not like a make-up, because if Bama loses in the conference championship game, they're still in the playoff. If ND loses in their "conference championship game" season's over.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• IDK if this has been discussed much but this setup currently pretty much ensures the winner of the SEC East and West will be in the Top12 every year. Could be looking at 4 SEC teams in the Top 12 year in and out.

Comment

• One thing I'm unclear on: Are the brackets set once the initial rankings are made, or are they dependent on who wins? For example, if the No. 7 school beats the No. 2 school in the first round, and everything else is chalk, does the No. 7 school then have to play the No. 1 school? Or would the No. 7 school then get to play the No. 3 school, because that's who the No. 2 school would have originally played had they won?

I really hope the brackets aren't set, because then that would mean that a highly ranked ND's most likely path to a championship would be:

Play No. 12
                                                        Play No. 4
                                                        Play No. 1
                                                        Play No. 2

And that means we're not winning a chip ever again.

Comment

IDK if this has been discussed much but this setup currently pretty much ensures the winner of the SEC East and West will be in the Top12 every year. Could be looking at 4 SEC teams in the Top 12 year in and out.
                                                          Oh, that's a certainty, and I'd love nothing more than to see a couple of them get up on the winning side of the Mason Dixon line in December and see a few ass whippings.

Further, any two loss SEC Champion will be one of the four byes.
                                                          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                            One thing I'm unclear on: Are the brackets set once the initial rankings are made, or are they dependent on who wins? For example, if the No. 7 school beats the No. 2 school in the first round, and everything else is chalk, does the No. 7 school then have to play the No. 1 school? Or would the No. 7 school then get to play the No. 3 school, because that's who the No. 2 school would have originally played had they won?

I really hope the brackets aren't set, because then that would mean that a highly ranked ND's most likely path to a championship would be:

Play No. 12
                                                            Play No. 4
                                                            Play No. 1
                                                            Play No. 2

And that means we're not winning a chip ever again.
                                                            There is no re-seeding, but as long as ND comes in at no.5 in a year where they would have otherwise been top-4, I can live with it.

You get the bottom seed, and then again the bottom seed of the top-4.

If you think you're a national-title worthy squad, you can use those games to get hot and build confidence right at the end of the year.

Of course, if you think you're a national-title worthy squad, the extra rest and letting other teams beat on each other is preferable... but it's looking more and more like ND is going to have to put together a magical run where they simply get into a good zone collectively as a team if they want to win a championship, so talking myself into this 'no bye' thing is getting easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

There is no re-seeding, but as long as ND comes in at no.5 in a year where they would have otherwise been top-4, I can live with it.

You get the bottom seed, and then again the bottom seed of the top-4.

If you think you're a national-title worthy squad, you can use those games to get hot and build confidence right at the end of the year.

Of course, if you think you're a national-title worthy squad, the extra rest and letting other teams beat on each other is preferable... but it's looking more and more like ND is going to have to put together a magical run where they simply get into a good zone collectively as a team if they want to win a championship, so talking myself into this 'no bye' thing is getting easier.
                                                              I think you just accidentally laid out my biggest problem with this. If it's true that ND is in support of this model then I would say this is the move of a program whose primary focus is to get into the playoffs, not to win a championship. I would understand that sort of desperation if we were in the Big 12, but we've been invited every year we had a legitimate case. Every year.

Just earlier this year, we were pointing to how Clemson slowly built to their run, and how they're doing it with culture, and how we're doing the same thing by winning year over year. Now we seem like we're just happy to be in included because it would need to be a magical run to actually win against the big boys.
                                                              Last edited by greyhammer90; 06-11-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I think you just accidentally laid out my biggest problem with this. If it's true that ND is in support of this model then I would say this is the move of a program whose primary focus is to get into the playoffs, not to win a championship. I would understand that sort of desperation if we were in the Big 12, but we've been invited every year we had a legitimate case. Every year.

Just earlier this year, we were pointing to how Clemson slowly built to their run, and how they're doing it with culture, and how we're doing the same thing by winning year over year. Now we seem like we're just happy to be in included because it would need to be a magical run to actually win against the big boys.
                                                                I mean that's kind of what it's going to take for anyone outside of the Bama/Clemson/Ohio State triumvirate, outside of lucking into a generational QB prospect that can carry the team.

ND needs to get hot at the right time, or get a QB that's going to make everyone better. That doesn't change, regardless of the playoff system, seeding, etc.

So making the playoff nearly every time you're 10-2 or better is decent tradeoff, imo, when the cost is an extra game against a low seed, especially in the context of needing to find a generational QB or have a team that gets super hot at the right time anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

I mean that's kind of what it's going to take for anyone outside of the Bama/Clemson/Ohio State triumvirate, outside of lucking into a generational QB prospect that can carry the team.

ND needs to get hot at the right time, or get a QB that's going to make everyone better. That doesn't change, regardless of the playoff system, seeding, etc.

So making the playoff nearly every time you're 10-2 or better is decent tradeoff, imo, when the cost is an extra game against a low seed, especially in the context of needing to find a generational QB or have a team that gets super hot at the right time anyway.
                                                                  I won't keep belaboring my point, but it's not just an extra game against a low seed. It's an extra game against a low seed, then we play 3 out of the top 4. Our chances of winning an NC as an independent took a huge hit today. I'll leave it at that.

Comment

I won't keep belaboring my point, but it's not just an extra game against a low seed. It's an extra game against a low seed, then we play 3 out of the top 4. Our chances of winning an NC as an independent took a huge hit today. I'll leave it at that.
                                                                    Lol, completely disagree. I don't see the point you're trying to make.

Comment

I get what you’re saying but I think there are benefits that will help ND close the talent gap. You’re right that it’s more important to the administration to be annual contenders than to be actual winners. I think that’s something which separates most every fan base from every school admin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

Lol, completely disagree. I don't see the point you're trying to make.
                                                                        I mean, it's not a difficult concept to grasp. Assuming chalk, 2018 ND had to play No. 1, then No.2 to win a championship. 2025 ND will need to beat No. 12, No. 4, No. 1, No. 2. Acting like this only adds one game against a low seed is wrong. We'll also be playing an additional game against a top 5 opponent.

Comment

I mean, it's not a difficult concept to grasp. Assuming chalk, 2018 ND had to play No. 1, then No.2 to win a championship. 2025 ND will need to beat No. 12, No. 4, No. 1, No. 2. Acting like this only adds one game against a low seed is wrong. We'll also be playing an additional game against a top 5 opponent.
                                                                          It only adds one game against a low seed when we’re discussing whether or not ND gets a bye (4 vs. 5). Obviously with the playoffs expanding you’re going to have to win more games than previously but that goes for everyone. The trade off is you will make the playoffs more often. Hasn’t really mattered what iteration it has been (BCS or 4 team playoff) we still haven’t been close to beating the big boys.

Comment

It only guarantees one game they will unnecessarily play if they are a top-4 team. Otherwise, they will deservingly play the extra play-in game like everyone else. Some teams will win their conference championship game, only to wind up a 5-12 seed and still have the extra 4 games after that.

ND will have to play one game extra compared to the field, if they are ranked 1-4, which really is basically a make-up game for not having a conference championship. The other 3 games are games all teams must play so they aren't prudent to the discussion. With our developing depth, I think we are built to last longer through a playoff now we just need to be more explosive.

I'm probably not winning you over so we can just agree to disagree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

It only guarantees one game they will unnecessarily play if they are a top-4 team. Otherwise, they will deservingly play the extra play-in game like everyone else. Some teams will win their conference championship game, only to wind up a 5-12 seed and still have the extra 4 games after that.

ND will have to play one game extra compared to the field, if they are ranked 1-4, which really is basically a make-up game for not having a conference championship. The other 3 games are games all teams must play so they aren't prudent to the discussion. With our developing depth, I think we are built to last longer through a playoff now we just need to be more explosive.

I'm probably not winning you over so we can just agree to disagree.

I agree with this. And also it could turn out that the sweet spot is the ole 7 seed. Home game against the 10, neutral site against the 3, take down the 2 which isn't that good because Bama got upset in the SEC championship game, and bingo bongo Natty time.

Plus for me it sounds better for us to say we would have been a playoff team 6 out of the last 7 years, that's gotta get us a little closer to the generational QB that makes all this discussion seem comical in the rearview as we win 3 Heismans and multiple championship belts.

Comment

• Initially I was upset with ND missing a bye. And frankly if they are #1 then they shouldn't but I digress. Then I thought about it. The programs trajectory right now we are a top 10 program. I'd say ND, right now, would miss the top 12, one out of ten times. I'm all for it. And screw joining a conference.

Comment

• I'm fine with missing the bye. The alternative is joining the ACC and having to play an extra CCG against Clemson anyways. Even being overly optimistic and saying we win 50% of those games that still means 5/10 years we end up right back in the same 5-12 range and are then playing 2 extra games.

Comment

• The way I see it is that ND being relegated to always being no better than a 5-12 seed is that will always be our 13th data point. That puts that particular issue to bed as per Jack. Then we have to do what all other conference champs do from that point on and WIN

Comment

• Since 2017 (since the programs retooling) we would have made this playoff format every year.

Comment

Since 2017 (since the programs retooling) we would have made this playoff format every year.
                                                                                        I thought we would've missed in 2019.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Yeah I think you are right We were 11-2 and finished 12th but was like 15th last week of season.
                                                                                          Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 06-12-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                                                            Initially I was upset with ND missing a bye. And frankly if they are #1 then they shouldn't but I digress. Then I thought about it. The programs trajectory right now we are a top 10 program. I'd say ND, right now, would miss the top 12, one out of ten times. I'm all for it. And screw joining a conference.
                                                                                            Agreed. Plus, they’ll technically have a bye while others are playing their 13th game in the Conf Champ. I do wish they would’ve limited when & how many FCS opponents those P5 schools could schedule b/c most years, they still end up w/ 12 data points once u deduct the FCS “Bye” right before their big rivalry game.

Comment

• Originally posted by TNUtoNotreDame View Post

I agree. I think it makes it more difficult, having to win more games in order to lift the trophy, and for ND that margin for error is already slim as it is. We just came off a season where that post season narrative reared it's ugly head yet again.

It's all about money. There will never be less games.

At the same, the hypocritical "they're amateurs" diatribe just died a bit more with this new format.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

I agree. I think it makes it more difficult, having to win more games in order to lift the trophy, and for ND that margin for error is already slim as it is. We just came off a season where that post season narrative reared it's ugly head yet again.

It's all about money. There will never be less games.

At the same, the hypocritical "they're amateurs" diatribe just died a bit more with this new format.
                                                                                                Agreed on the amateurism which gets us that much closer to paying players and the “student-athletes” forming unions. I do not believe ND will go down that path with the “factories”. I think they’ll split off into the original model of student-athlete and a new professional model where the P5 conferences (w/ few exceptions) will form their own pro league. We are putting off the inevitable so I wish they’d get on with it so we can see what other schools would join ND in the original model. I suspect it would include the academic schools like Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern, Virginia, WF, Duke, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                                                                  Initially I was upset with ND missing a bye. And frankly if they are #1 then they shouldn't but I digress. Then I thought about it. The programs trajectory right now we are a top 10 program. I'd say ND, right now, would miss the top 12, one out of ten times. I'm all for it. And screw joining a conference.
                                                                                                  This is basically where I'm at. With this staff, I think ND is a top 25 team on a yearly basis now barring "catastrophe"... so let's call it 4 out of every 5 years. They're going to be a top 15 team 3 out of every 5 years. And a top 5 team probably 1 out of every 5 years (in particular because of the increasingly difficult schedules in coming years with Bama, Ohio State, etc. on them it makes it very hard to go undefeated and we don't have a conference championship game so it would take "help" to get in over a 1-loss conference champion). Given all of that, this system ensures that a "good" Notre Dame team is not going to get screwed by a biased committee. A 2-loss Notre Dame with quality wins will almost always be in, and if they aren't it's because they weren't actually good enough to win a championship anyways.

I think back to the 2015 Notre Dame team that was LOADED with a great resume and should've finished 11-1... and was almost surely going to get left out of the playoffs at 11-1 in favor of a bad-but-lucky Michigan State team and a typical-one-dimensional-garbage Oklahoma team. Their only loss was on a 2-point conversion to an elite Clemson team on the road and they were going to get boxed out of the playoffs. That's the moment I realized this system was fucked beyond redemption because of 5 conference champs jockeying for 4 spots, and that there was always going to be a squeeze on any Notre Dame team that wasn't undefeated. We saw this again last year, where the primary reason Notre Dame made the playoffs was simply that Oklahoma lost 2 games and the PAC12 went full PAC12. If either of those don't happen, Notre Dame is sitting at home because they didn't win a conference championship... and you can extrapolate that out to literally any season that ND would play as an independent.

Tangential to all of this -- the biggest benefit is that with AQs for conference champs you aren't going to see as much coward scheduling from certain teams. We all know who they are, and it's terrible for the sport. Those teams are going to be playing themselves out of "at large" selections with weak resumes and you will see scheduling paradigms shit moving forward.

Comment

• 2019 BCS rankings from week 16. I believe this is the set that determined bowl bids:

1. LSU
                                                                                                    2. OSU
                                                                                                    3. Clemson
                                                                                                    4. Oklahoma
                                                                                                    5. Georgia
                                                                                                    6. Oregon
                                                                                                    7. Baylor
                                                                                                    8. Wisconsin
                                                                                                    9. Florida
                                                                                                    10. PSU
                                                                                                    11. Utah
                                                                                                    12. Auburn
                                                                                                    13. Alabama
                                                                                                    14. Michigan

24. Virginia

In every single case the committee ranked the CCG loser as the second best team in their conference; even after the CCG.

It's just one year (so not enough to declare a pattern) but I think the current system won't change incentives at all. Teams will schedule to maximize their chances of winning their conference games. And that means avoiding tough OOC games until there are rewards commensurate with the costs of playing them.

Baylor's OOC schedule in 2019 was Stephen F. Austin, UTSA, and Rice. They beat zero ranked teams and got the 7th spot.

Comment

• Let's do the 2018 rankings (again, post CCG but pre-bowls):

1. Alabama
                                                                                                      2. Clemson
                                                                                                      3. ND
                                                                                                      4. Oklahoma
                                                                                                      5. Georgia
                                                                                                      6. OSU
                                                                                                      7. Michigan
                                                                                                      8. UCF
                                                                                                      9. Washington
                                                                                                      10. Florida
                                                                                                      11. LSU
                                                                                                      12. PSU

15. Texas (9-4)

17. Utah (9-4)

22. Northwestern (8-5)

The ACC CG loser was 7-6 Pittsburgh who was not ranked. Syracuse (9-3) was ranked 20th.

Michigan (10-2) was ranked ahead of CCG loser Northwestern (8-5).

Otherwise the pattern continues to be the CCG winner as the top ranked team in conference and the loser as the second ranked team in the conference.

In 2018 we are seeing CCG losers get left out but these are all teams who walked into the CCG with 3+ losses. Did the teams ahead of them have better wins or just fewer losses? Without diving deeper I'm pretty sure it's the latter. But without looking I can't be sure.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X