Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

You need a hug.
    A National Championship in South Bend would be fine. Otherwise, a little more excitement in the game would suffice.
    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

I don't think conferences can afford to do that, both from a monetary perspective AND a competition perspective. You could end up with a year where a conference has two different teams undefeated in conference play because they missed eachother in cross-division scheduling.
      Agreed. None of this ends with there being less games. It stays as is now and more games are added. 8 teams, 12 teams, doesn't matter. Conference championships won't be going anywhere.
      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
        I think they should do away with pre season rankings, I know they won't because that is how they get ratings but they should
        I have thought this for a very long time now. The better start you have out of the gate based on perception, the better off you will be. Makes it harder for the Power Five teams who are not usual suspects to get any kind of recognition if they have an upstart season. Somebody like Illinois or Wake Forest would be 10-0 before anyone actually noticed and would probably have one loss blue bloods ranked ahead of them.

Right now Iowa State and Cincinnati are getting a lot of preseason chatter. It takes time for programs like that to build up that kind of equity.

Nothing like getting a preseason ranking in the top ten and piss pounding a bunch of cupcakes out of conference, too.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I REALLY hope Jack got that as '4 highest-ranked champs OR Notre Dame get a bye,' rather than just '4 highest-ranked champs get a bye'

Because if ND is never eligible for a bye in a playoff where they're going to make the cut every time they're 10-2, they should go ahead and join the ACC.

Comment

Nvm we good

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

Nvm we good
                  Oh man I can't wait for all the tears on twitter

Comment

What did Davonte do?

Comment

Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                      So ND would have gotten winner of Texas A&M-Coastal in South Bend in December? Yes please.

Comment

It's hard to imagine a scenario where that's not superior to the bowl games we've got the past few years

Comment

Oh yes - Georgia traveling to Cinci in December? I am all in for that.

Comment

I cannot express just how much I hate automatic qualifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

So ND would have gotten winner of Texas A&M-Coastal in South Bend in December? Yes please.
                              A G5 program actually getting a shot would be something.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntr View Post
                                yup a mediocre multiple loss Pac12 or Big12 team is gonna get a first round bye over ND some year and then everyone here gonna be pissed
                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

yup a mediocre multiple loss Pac12 or Big12 team is gonna get a first round bye over ND some year and then everyone here gonna be pissed
                                  Did they specify how they would be seeded? Thought it was just who would qualify?

Comment

Come on, man, you wouldn't want to see Alabama curb stomp a two loss Oregon Pac 12 Champion in hot steaming second round playoff action?

Comment

Probably about as much as I hate committees deciding things that should be decided on the field.
                                      "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

I hope they bring back computer rankings as much as we hated them, they are ten times better than a committee

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Come on, man, you wouldn't want to see Alabama curb stomp a two loss Oregon Pac 12 Champion in hot steaming second round playoff action?
                                          If that's what we're using as the measuring stick then the playoffs should only consist of SEC teams plus Ohio State and Clemson. Those are the only teams to ever win a playoff game (except Oregon in the first year, ironically enough).
                                          "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                                            Probably about as much as I hate committees deciding things that should be decided on the field.
                                            There are very good computer rankings that exist. It would be trivial to pick the best 8 and put them in the playoff.

Comment

There are very good computer rankings that exist. It would be trivial to pick the best 8 and put them in the playoff.
                                              Oh sure, I'm absolutely certain nobody would complain when 4 SEC teams get into the playoffs because the computer models said so. That will go swimmingly.

Comment

I was against expansion and I still am to an extent as it's going to almost always end the same, but this means more competitive college football which has been greatly devalued by all the opt outs in bowl season. Makes ND almost always a lock for the playoff too as long as they are halfway decent. Win-Win for ND and for college football fans.

Comment

Oh sure, I'm absolutely certain nobody would complain when 4 SEC teams get into the playoffs because the computer models said so. That will go swimmingly.
                                                  The 8 best are the 8 best.

But, it's why they're doing the system this way instead of the best way - too many bitch programs that are bad at football need their participation trophies.

Comment

The 8 best are the 8 best.

But, it's why they're doing the system this way instead of the best way - too many bitch programs that are bad at football need their participation trophies.
                                                    Hell, just play the regular season and let the computer pick the best team and crown them.

Comment

I was against expansion and I still am to an extent as it's going to almost always end the same, but this means more competitive college football which has been greatly devalued by all the opt outs in bowl season. Makes ND almost always a lock for the playoff too as long as they are halfway decent. Win-Win for ND and for college football fans.
                                                      Agree. Making the playoffs twice recently has helped recruiting. Being in the playoffs most every year can't hurt.

Comment

Hell, just play the regular season and let the computer pick the best team and crown them.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing against because it's apparently nothing I've said.

Comment

It's a big win for ND, unreal season? Ok you get a bye (If they don't have auto qualifiers that leave out ND). Great/Good season? Play a team that isn't Clemson/OSU/Bama and maybe have a shot at pulling off a win in a playoff game.

Comment

Comment

I'm not really sure what you're arguing against because it's apparently nothing I've said.
                                                              I'm serious. Play the season and then televise the crowning of the champion. We could make it a two hour special. Show the supercomputer that is used. Come up with some clever name for it. Would be safer for the lads and allow them to study for their finals. Guess you could run a simulation on an entire 8 team playoff, kinda like Rocky V style. Would be fun.

Comment

Good. Won't have to hear all the complaining now.

Comment

Comment

If that's what we're using as the measuring stick then the playoffs should only consist of SEC teams plus Ohio State and Clemson. Those are the only teams to ever win a playoff game (except Oregon in the first year, ironically enough).
                                                                    The hypothetical up there consisted of UGA, Florida and TAMU among the 8 teams not getting a bye. So yeah, I'd fully expect a Confederate College Football Stuffed Animal Parade because they invented the sport and all. They have their own chant.

G5 maybe gets thrown a bone every so often.

Who gets tickets sold, who gets eyes in front of the television, who is a draw. That's ultimately what this is going to be about.

Comment

The hypothetical up there consisted of UGA, Florida and TAMU among the 8 teams not getting a bye. So yeah, I'd fully expect a Confederate College Football Stuffed Animal Parade because they invented the sport and all. They have their own chant.

G5 maybe gets thrown a bone every so often.

Who gets tickets sold, who gets eyes in front of the television, who is a draw. That's ultimately what this is going to be about.
                                                                      So, Super League?

Comment

I like it. I would love as many on campus games as possible. Would be interesting to see how the Southern schools fare. Might be an unpopular opinion but I really don't think we deserve getting a first round bye if we don't play in a CCG. That's essentially our bye anyway.

Comment

So, Super League?
                                                                          How is it not already?

Comment

How is it not already?
                                                                            No kidding. I do think it's past time to separate the Power 5 and Group of 5 into two different divisions.

Comment

• #88
                                                                              ND will be joining the ACC. No way ND gets ranked 1-4 and intentionally gets seeded less than that and has to play an extra game just becasue.
                                                                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• #89
                                                                                Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                ND will be joining the ACC. No way ND gets ranked 1-4 and intentionally gets seeded less than that and has to play an extra game just becasue.

I'm thinking so, too. I'd almost bet ND will be in the ACC by 2025.

edit: maybe 2026. NBC deal is up after 2025 season.

Comment

• #90
                                                                                  If Notre Dame isn't eligible for a first round bye, then Notre Dame's days as an independent are over. Guaranteed.

Comment

• #91
                                                                                    8 teams, 12 teams, 16 teams.

If only three can win, only three are going to win.

I don't know if Swarbrick can lawyer his way into ND getting a better deal from this but I think ND Football is going to be in the ACC if this proposal holds up

Comment

• #92

Not really. The proposal says the byes to go the four highest ranked conference champions. Considering 6 conference champions make it, there will likely be an undefeated or 1 loss G5 conference champion that can take a top 4 spot if two of the P5 conference champions have multiple losses.

Comment

• #93
                                                                                        If you're in another conference, wouldn't you almost want ND to have that provision? With their current schedule, 10-2 is not a guarantee every year, meaning not a guarantee for one of the 12 spots. If they're in the ACC, ND is a lock for the playoff 9 times out of 10 meaning less spots for the other conferences. ND as is isn't getting top 4 without going undefeated which is only going to happen 2-3 times a decade.

Comment

• #94
                                                                                          That's pretty whack. Means even if we were the #1 team in the country we'd be seeded 5th.

Comment

• #95
                                                                                            I think 12 is too many, but I also think 12 is better than 4, so I'll take it \_(ツ)_/

Comment

• #96
                                                                                              Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                              Ha - just sent this text to the Clemson fans here at work: "Your cakewalk through the ACC is almost over...Here Come The Irish..:".

Comment

• #97
                                                                                                Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

That's pretty whack. Means even if we were the #1 team in the country we'd be seeded 5th.
                                                                                                Got to be worded in a way that doesnt explicitly state ND but I assume it to be any independent team.
                                                                                                "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• #98
                                                                                                  Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

If I'm Swarbrick I agree to what we're being told (so far) except for when:

ND beats a top 4 team head to head. Beating OSU or Clemson in 2023 for instance.

Comment

• #99

shitty logic IMO. A 12-0 ND has to play as the 5 seed. Let's say there are 3 upsets in conference championship week. a 9-3 15th ranked team is going to get a bye now?

This isn't happening until 2023 at least so hopefully Swarbrick will be able to iron out some provisions.

Comment

• Pete Thamel brought up a great point. If we were to be 5 instead of top 4, it means we get to host a home playoff game, which probably means a lot of money for the school. Not too bad of a consolation prize.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X