No announcement yet.

One Stop Rumors Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s a MASSIVE hire for LSU to make considering Texas and OU coming into the SEC. You cannot let there be a down cycle and people to start coming into Louisiana or lose footing in Texas and scooping the talent. I don’t think there would be much cause for concern there but it’s something to consider

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
      You'd have to be a special kind of idiot to leave ND for LSU. They're running a coach out of town who won championship literally the last time we played a full season of college football. You hypothetically have higher upside there than at ND because of the kind of player that you can recruit, but there is almost immeasurable downside.
      On the other hand, the last three coaches there won national championships, which is basically the only thing missing from Kelly's resume. They also have an AD that is known for making big deals. If he could get something like Jimbo's contract he would be stupid not to take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
        I’d be shocked if Kelly left for any job, TBH. I think he uses this to get the final program changes he wants pushed through.
        Me as well. He’s in a good place in his life.

Comment

You'd have to be a special kind of idiot to leave ND for LSU. They're running a coach out of town who won championship literally the last time we played a full season of college football. You hypothetically have higher upside there than at ND because of the kind of player that you can recruit, but there is almost immeasurable downside.
          This has as much to do with Ed’s indiscretions and NCAA infractions as anything. The struggles this year make it easy for LSU to get out in front of this by getting rid of him.
          Last edited by Irish#1; 10-18-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
            If LSU is able to get BK, the question then becomes, is Cinci a better spot than LSU AND ND? Maeks u think.
            Who knows? If you told somebody in 1981 that Miami would be the most powerful program in the country for about a dozen years, they would have laughed at you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

This has as much to do with Ed’s indiscretions and NCAA infractions as anything. The struggles this year make it easy for LSU to get out in front of these by getting rid of him.
              I would imagine his contract with LSU would likely include moral/ethical/behavior clause(s)? I had read that his buyout was $17M but in default of the contract I would opine it could be significantly less.

What the hell do I know?

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post

Who knows? If somebody told you that Miami would be the most powerful program in the country for about a dozen years, they would have laughed at you.
                I know, and everyone else knows.

Cincinnati would beg to be on the same pedestal as TCU of the 2000's or even Baylor of early 2010's. To compare them to Miami is laughable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post

I would imagine his contract with LSU would likely include moral/ethical/behavior clause(s)? I had read that his buyout was $17M but in default of the contract I would opine it could be significantly less.

What the hell do I know?

Cheers and Go Irish!!
                  Nah fired without cause and getting that 17 mil buyout is already official. Ed O having a public divorce, being a horndog after and political/social views his team didn’t like isn’t enough to trigger any action like that just enough for his team to not like him anymore

Comment

Who knows? If you told somebody in 1981 that Miami would be the most powerful program in the country for about a dozen years, they would have laughed at you.
                    Pell grant fraud, drug testing leniency, "Uncle Luke", the list goes on. I don't think that is a very good example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Nah fired without cause and getting that 17 mil buyout is already official. Ed O having a public divorce, being a horndog after and political/social views his team didn’t like isn’t enough to trigger any action like that just enough for his team to not like him anymore
                      Maybe not like him anymore, but definitely a loss of respect and you have to respect your coach to be successful. Guys 18-22 aren't going to respect a coach who's banging campus coeds. That's the players job.

Comment

• Didn't LSU want Freeman really bad as their DC? Chances they pull him out of ND for a HC job?
                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                          Didn't LSU want Freeman really bad as their DC? Chances they pull him out of ND for a HC job?
                          Freeman has to feel like he dodged a bullet there.

Comment

Didn't LSU want Freeman really bad as their DC? Chances they pull him out of ND for a HC job?
                            I had that thought too. But I don't think they can afford to take a flyer on a coordinator. They need a proven program builder to get that thing back on the tracks. Program is a mess.

I have no faith in them to handle it properly though, flight tracking from Jacksonville to Baton Rouge .....
                            Formerly known as Kellyisit

Comment

Too risky. People are wondering whether or not he's the defensive genius we all thought he was over the last couple of years at Cincinnati, let alone a leading first time head coach candidate...

Comment

• I wouldn’t expect too many coordinators in the shortlists. I’ve seen names like Dabo, Jimbo, BK etc thrown out. They are going to shoot very high

Comment

• Mel Tucker. Book it. New President is a minority. Sounds like he wants to go that route as well. Mel is a gangster

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

This has as much to do with Ed’s indiscretions and NCAA infractions as anything. The struggles this year make it easy for LSU to get out in front of this by getting rid of him.
                                    Right. He's not winning games. If he were winning, I'm wondering if there is even a question that he'd be going.

Losses piling up on top of a clown show off the field? See ya.
                                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Mel Tucker and Dave Aranda seem like they'd be at the top of the list. I know he's not the big hire everyone down there would want, but Billy Napier is winning at ULL where no one has won prior to him in a long time. He's 42 years old and has been on both Saban and Dabo's staff. He knows Louisiana recruiting. He's turned down multiple SEC jobs already so he's waiting for something.

If LSU doesn't get him, somebody else will and it'll be a hell of a hire.

When the George Floyd marches peaked last year, Orgeron's players reached out to him and he didn't even bother to pretend to care, which is shocking considering his reputation as a players coach. This is going to be a factor for LSU's search and I'm guessing they will want someone with as little baggage as possible. Too many clouds hanging over that program right now. They don't need more drama.
                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                        Mel Tucker and Dave Aranda seem like they'd be at the top of the list. I know he's not the big hire everyone down there would want, but Billy Napier is winning at ULL where no one has won prior to him in a long time. He's 42 years old and has been on both Saban and Dabo's staff. He knows Louisiana recruiting. He's turned down multiple SEC jobs already so he's waiting for something.

When the George Floyd marches peaked last year, Orgeron's players reached out to him and he didn't even bother to pretend to care, which is shocking considering his reputation as a players coach. This is going to be a factor for LSU's search and I'm guessing they will want someone with as little baggage as possible. Too many clouds hanging over that program right now. They don't need more drama.
                                        the guy's a Trumper, what ya expect.
                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

• With Mel Tucker, he’s definitely way ahead of schedule with the turnaround regardless, but I do wonder if 8-4 will have the same glean as 6-0. Back half of the schedule is time to play some teams with a pulse and they’ve escaped a couple, still a wins a win.

Comment

Mel Tucker and Dave Aranda seem like they'd be at the top of the list. I know he's not the big hire everyone down there would want, but Billy Napier is winning at ULL where no one has won prior to him in a long time. He's 42 years old and has been on both Saban and Dabo's staff. He knows Louisiana recruiting. He's turned down multiple SEC jobs already so he's waiting for something.

Definitely think Napier should be on the list.
                                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Woodward will swing for the fences, he doesn't screw around. It will be a HC from the upper echelon of P5 jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

the guy's a Trumper, what ya expect.
                                                Well now the interesting thing is that seems to have actually turned the fans on the players now. The LSU boards are having a lot of the "players are soft and brainwashed" and "they should be grateful for the opportunity to play here" type talk now.

I also don't know if I would want to go there if I were a minority coach. They seem to be suggesting any hire that is a minority will have only been hired because they are a minority. Even if that wouldn't bother you, it is not a good position to be in to have lost a good part of the fanbase before even starting at a place where a coach got fired 21 months after winning a national championship.

I really wonder if LSU is going to turn into FSU. IDK is Orgeron is leaving the program in a great state and based on the general financial state of the university, they might not be able to pay for all the things needed to stay competitive in the SEC, especially with how much they are paying coaches.

Comment

Probably not the best example. That '81 team was two plays away from playing for the NC. They swept the ranked Florida schools and beat some good teams that year including #1 Penn State.

Schnellenberger's first team in '79 was probably the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post

Well now the interesting thing is that seems to have actually turned the fans on the players now. The LSU boards are having a lot of the "players are soft and brainwashed" and "they should be grateful for the opportunity to play here" type talk now.

I also don't know if I would want to go there if I were a minority coach. They seem to be suggesting any hire that is a minority will have only been hired because they are a minority. Even if that wouldn't bother you, it is not a good position to be in to have lost a good part of the fanbase before even starting at a place where a coach got fired 21 months after winning a national championship.

I really wonder if LSU is going to turn into FSU. IDK is Orgeron is leaving the program in a great state and based on the general financial state of the university, they might not be able to pay for all the things needed to stay competitive in the SEC, especially with how much they are paying coaches.
                                                    The money issue is a good point. Of course boosters can always fix things, but wasn't the state of Louisiana on the verge of bankruptcy a few years ago? There was a lot of talk how it would affect the university funding and if football would have to make some cuts to expenses. Coaching salaries/buyouts could certainly factor into some of that I'm sure, even if the boosters and ticket sales will cover much of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

Definitely think Napier should be on the list.
                                                      I don't think they'll take him seriously, which is fine. He's turned down a couple of SEC jobs already. It's a matter of where he lands. Whoever gets him will have done well for themselves. Probably won't be LSU, but that's cool.

Comment

• I will be pretty surprised if it's not Jimbo Fisher. He's saying all the same things now that he said weeks before leaving FSU.
                                                        Last edited by notredomer23; 10-19-2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

Probably not the best example. That '81 team was two plays away from playing for the NC. They swept the ranked Florida schools and beat some good teams that year including #1 Penn State.

Schnellenberger's first team in '79 was probably the right call.
                                                          Yeah, I probably should have said 1979 or earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                                            I will be pretty surprised if it's not Jimbo Fisher. He's saying all the same things now that he said weeks before leaving FSU.
                                                            A&M is a better job in the future than LSU. Texas has more resources and isn't afraid to use them. Much better culture there too. Zero chance Jimbo leaves A&M for LSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                                              I will be pretty surprised if it's not Jimbo Fisher. He's saying all the same things now that he said weeks before leaving FSU.
                                                              Everyone just ignores the "I plan on..." qualifier that Jimbo likes to use lol

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post

A&M is a better job in the future than LSU. Texas has more resources and isn't afraid to use them. Much better culture there too. Zero chance Jimbo leaves A&M for LSU.
                                                                Depends. A&M will tell you their recent success is not because they are away from Texas but simply because they are in the SEC. But in 3 years what is the pitch for A&M to get a kid over Texas, OU, and LSU? Come to A&M we are in SEC just went away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Depends. A&M will tell you their recent success is not because they are away from Texas but simply because they are in the SEC. But in 3 years what is the pitch for A&M to get a kid over Texas, OU, and LSU? Come to A&M we are in SEC just went away.
                                                                  More resources, better coach, better culture, better stadium. You'll not meet a more proud alum than an Aggie.

Whispers (better politics).

Comment

More resources, better coach, better culture, better stadium. You'll not meet a more proud alum than an Aggie.

Also, players can live off campus and take all of their classes online like Johnny Manziel.

Comment

• Schools like Texas A&M will continually have a branding problem until they actually win something. Yes, they can buy recruits, anyone can do that. Clemson, Auburn, UNC, etc. But Clemson became Clemson by first winning ACC championships which they then parlayed into winning national championships.

Until Texas A&M actually wins the SEC West much less the SEC Championship it's a Tier 3 job that happens to pay like a Tier 1 job.

Comment

A&M over Texas, OU, and LSU for every one of those?

Comment

That's the problem. Their too proud to see the truth. A&M has a great fanbase, but the FB program is not on par with LSU. Better football culture? I'll take LSU everyday. A&M has had one double digit win season since 2000. LSU has 11 with three championships. A&M is a perpetual 7-6, 8-5, 9-4 team.

Comment

Schools like Texas A&M will continually have a branding problem until they actually win something. Yes, they can buy recruits, anyone can do that. Clemson, Auburn, UNC, etc. But Clemson became Clemson by first winning ACC championships which they then parlayed into winning national championships.

Until Texas A&M actually wins the SEC West much less the SEC Championship it's a Tier 3 job that happens to pay like a Tier 1 job.
                                                                            They're not even a has been (SC, Miami, Nebraska). They're a never have been at this point.

TAMU claims three national titles and the most recent of those was in 1939. Three leagues including 1997, 1998 and 2010.

LSU and TAMU is somewhat of a rivalry, no? I can't imagine TAMU not doing all they possibly can to block Fisher going to LSU of all places.

Isn't his buyout absolutely insane, too?

Comment

They're not even a has been (SC, Miami, Nebraska). They're a never have been at this point.

TAMU claims three national titles and the most recent of those was in 1939. Three leagues including 1997, 1998 and 2010.

LSU and TAMU is somewhat of a rivalry, no? I can't imagine TAMU not doing all they possibly can to block Fisher going to LSU of all places.

Isn't his buyout absolutely insane, too?
                                                                              There is no buyout at all but LSU would have to (theoretically) improve on his nearly $100 million guaranteed.

Comment

• I doubt Jimbo even takes a call, guaranteed he doesn't interview. He's in a better spot.

Comment

Schools like Texas A&M will continually have a branding problem until they actually win something. Yes, they can buy recruits, anyone can do that. Clemson, Auburn, UNC, etc. But Clemson became Clemson by first winning ACC championships which they then parlayed into winning national championships.

Correct. TAMU couldn’t even win the B12 when they were there.

Comment

Tier 2 I could see, but tier 3? How many teams are in your tiers where A&M falls to tier 3?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

There is no buyout at all but LSU would have to (theoretically) improve on his nearly $100 million guaranteed.
                                                                                      Which their AD would have no problem doing. Woodward is an LSU alum who was AD at TAMU that threw all that money at Jimbo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post

Tier 2 I could see, but tier 3? How many teams are in your tiers where A&M falls to tier 3?
                                                                                        I’ll take a guess at Bama getting their own tier and LSU, UF and Georgia following?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post

Tier 1: USC, LSU, Bama, ND, OSU, Clemson, OU
                                                                                          Tier 2: Florida, Miami, Texas, Penn State, Michigan, Oregon, FSU
                                                                                          Tier 3: Tenn, A&M, Ole Miss, UCF, Auburn, several other top 25 border line teams.
                                                                                          I used to be D-BOE34 but I can't login for some reason. Will someone donate some vBucks?

Comment

• My speculative view is that NIL is going to kill off Clemson as a top tier power.

Comment

• With all the why Jimbo would leave talk, if I’m LSU, I wouldn’t hire Jimbo unless he’s giving up most of the offensive control. His value is no longer with his offensive prowess just his overall HC ability

Comment

• If Jimbo left, any chance Elko would take over? Or would they go big game hunting again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

I'm not sure it would be the worst thing for A&M if Jimbo walks - they save 100M and they can use their piles of money to hire someone else that gives them a better shot at getting into the playoffs/winning a title.

Fisher has a slightly better record at A&M than Sumlin had through the first few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by DONTH8 View Post
                                                                                                    If Jimbo left, any chance Elko would take over? Or would they go big game hunting again?
                                                                                                    Big game. it would trigger big dick hire contest

Comment

I don't really agree about the resources. Texas A&M might have more resources, but they are using those resources constantly going up against Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, OSU, Alabama, and others for in-state talent. In 2021, TAMU got 2 of the top 10 recruits and only 10 of the top 50. You compare that to LSU with Louisiana, you are guaranteed 8 or 9 of the top 15 recruits (usually the top 15 or so in LA are 4 or 5 stars). Throw in the proximity to Texas to pick and choose, Florida, Mississippi etc. Add in a history of national titles in the last 20 years, compared to Aggie not winning one since the 30s. It's much easier to recruit at LSU than it is at TAMU regardless of the resources available.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X