No announcement yet.

One Stop Rumors Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (the problem with Skyline is that they decided to call it 'chili,' which offends the rest of the country's sensibilities about what 'chili' should be. If they called it "Skyline's Greek Pasta Sauce," it would be an uncontroversial regional fare that would be a fun thing to try while in the Cincinnati area. Instead, Skyline is a national battleground over food ideology.)
    Last edited by IrishLion; 09-24-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
      I'll just say this once -- let's please not turn this into a vaccine or Covid debate thread.
      Not trying to debate COVID - just dropping this off here for clarification.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ssi...onFall2021.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
        (the problem with Skyline is that they decided to call it 'chili,' which offends the rest of the country's sensibilities about what 'chili' should be. If they called it "Skyline's Greek Past Sauce," it would be an uncontroversial regional fare that would be a fun thing to try while in the Cincinnati area. Instead, Skyline is a national battleground over food ideology.)
        Don’t give in Lion!

Every city has its food quirks the critics are hypocrites!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Don’t give in Lion!

Every city has its food quirks the critics are hypocrites!
          Oh the critics can fuck off. Skyline is delicious. I'll fight anyone (Beau) to the death that dares besmirch their good name.

I'm just saying, more people would find it to be an okay dish if they weren't preemptively offended by seeing the dish and then thinking, "that's not chili, what is this nonsense?" before they've even tried it.

There isn't a much better 'Cincinnati' thing than going to an early Saturday morning youth football game (see also: any live sporting event), working up an appetite, then hitting a Skyline and grabbing three cheese coneys with steaming hot chili and ice cold shredded cheddar over top. It's a delightful contradiction that hits the spot every time. The always-fresh fountain Pepsi on the side is an added bonus.

Comment

Oh the critics can fuck off. Skyline is delicious. I'll fight anyone (Beau) to the death that dares besmirch their good name.

I'm just saying, more people would find it to be an okay dish if they weren't preemptively offended by seeing the dish and then thinking, "that's not chili, what is this nonsense?" before they've even tried it.

There isn't a much better 'Cincinnati' thing than going to an early Saturday morning youth football game (see also: any live sporting event), working up an appetite, then hitting a Skyline and grabbing three cheese coneys with steaming hot chili and ice cold shredded cheddar over top. It's a delightful contradiction that hits the spot every time. The always-fresh fountain Pepsi on the side is an added bonus.
            Alright, I can deal with the cinnamon(?) chili over spaghetti noodles but... Pepsi? Have you no shame, sir?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

Alright, I can deal with the cinnamon(?) chili over spaghetti noodles but... Pepsi? Have you no shame, sir?
              I would prefer a fountain Coke of course, but Mountain Dew is an acceptable replacement for the Pepsi based on Skyline's offerings and contractual obligations.

Comment

(the problem with Skyline is that they decided to call it 'chili,' which offends the rest of the country's sensibilities about what 'chili' should be. If they called it "Skyline's Greek Pasta Sauce," it would be an uncontroversial regional fare that would be a fun thing to try while in the Cincinnati area. Instead, Skyline is a national battleground over food ideology.)
                (I actually like making Skyline dip as a late night, drunk snack it's just that tiny hot dogs, chili and cheap shredded cheese just isn't what I think of when I think of "quality" food.)
                "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

There isn't a much better 'Cincinnati' thing than going to an early Saturday morning youth football game ... then hitting a Skyline and grabbing three cheese coneys with steaming hot chili and ice cold shredded cheddar over top.
                  Keep it up and Cincinnati's tourism board may start paying you to stop helping them.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Detroit Coney Dogs > Cincinnati Coneys

Don't @ me
                    My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

So what your saying is that it's really Coney sauce?

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post

Keep it up and Cincinnati's tourism board may start paying you to stop helping them.
                        Have you seen the stock footage of Skyline they use for every Cincinnati primetime spot???

There’s nowhere to go but up lol

Comment

• So does Skyline get all their chili from the portajohns around Nippert or do they gotta source it from Paul Brown Stadium too?

Comment

• Why isn't there a version of the hastily made Cleveland tourism video for Cincinnati? This is an opportunity, Lion, though you may love Cinci too much to make it funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                              Why isn't there a version of the hastily made Cleveland tourism video for Cincinnati? This is an opportunity, Lion, though you may love Cinci too much to make it funny.
                              I do love Cincinnati... but I'm not above trolling its residents.

I would film that video, but use locations almost exclusively in Northern Kentucky. No one outside of the area would know any better, while Cincinnati residents would recognize the locations, KNOW that outsiders wouldn't know the difference, and they would allow it to drive them insane.

Comment

• this could be the best thread of all time, but looks like its getting shot to shit.

Comment

• Skyline might be the worst thing ever created

Comment

• F all the Skyline h8trs!!1!

Lions right. It should be terrible, but sometimes there is nothing better than 3 cheese coneys, all the way, with hot sauce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                                      Detroit Coney Dogs > Cincinnati Coneys

Don't @ me
                                      Its funny because this is true.

Only, every out-of-stater avoids Detroit (or anything near it) like the plague, so no one has a clue what DCC or DCI even is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_(restaurant)
                                      "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Portillo’s moved in down the street and took all the chili cheese dog business in my neck of the woods. We used to go to Skyline but not any longer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Henges24 View Post

Only, every out-of-stater avoids Detroit (or anything near it) like the plague, so no one has a clue what DCC or DCI even is.

I don’t think Detroit having coney dogs is a uncommon piece of knowledge to have.

At least amongst the big bellied or people with Food Network

Comment

• Originally posted by SoIll View Post
                                            this could be the best thread of all time, but looks like its getting shot to shit.
                                            Lighten up with a 3 way

Comment

• If you’ve ever had Skyline at the right time, you’ll enjoy it forever. Can’t force the first time.

Comment

I don’t think Detroit having coney dogs is a uncommon piece of knowledge to have.

At least amongst the big bellied or people with Food Network
                                                The convo about coney dogs made me so hungry I forgot the topic was about chili.
                                                "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

If you’ve ever had Skyline at the right time, you’ll enjoy it forever. Can’t force the first time.
                                                  Blacked out drunk?

Comment

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post

Blacked out drunk?
                                                    or violently hungover

Comment

• A poster on BG who is typically in the know has said Hinish doesn’t have covid, and it will probably be announced during the broadcast. No clue what that means, but he makes it sound like he’s got an injury he’s battling.

Comment

• Was introduced to Skyline a couple of years ago on a visit to Cincy. My friend insisted I had to try it after showing him some of the finest fare the NYC and LI area has. Very odd food but damn if I didn’t enjoy it. A cinnamon flavored bean sauce over spaghetti and a couple of tiny hot dogs with chili and cheese. Washed down with some Rheingeist beer.

Comment

• Honestly, who gives a shit about Skyline chili.

Originally posted by IrishFanForever23 View Post
                                                          A poster on BG who is typically in the know has said Hinish doesn’t have covid, and it will probably be announced during the broadcast. No clue what that means, but he makes it sound like he’s got an injury he’s battling.
                                                          Thanks for sharing. Found this post that says concussion protocol: https://247sports.com/college/notre-...in--171509531/

May explain why nothing was definite, staff was hoping he’d be cleared. Hope he doesn’t have too many lingering effects, post-concussive syndrome is terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDMD View Post
                                                            Honestly, who gives a shit about Skyline chili.

Thanks for sharing. Found this post that says concussion protocol: https://247sports.com/college/notre-...in--171509531/

May explain why nothing was definite, staff was hoping he’d be cleared. Hope he doesn’t have too many lingering effects, post-concussive syndrome is terrible.
                                                            Good third post.
                                                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Gimme a 4-Way with onions, a Greek salad, and a sweet tea.

Lion don’t let the haters bother you…. Skyline is the MidWest’s In N Out Burger. If you can prop up a slightly better than Sonic burger as the real deal, then accepting Skyline as chili shouldn’t be that hard. There… I said it.

Comment

Good third post.
                                                                Bringing that heat
                                                                "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Irishlion …I’m the same way with She crab soup. I’ll stab someone if they besmirch my favorite local culinary curiosity

Comment

• Originally posted by T Town Tommy View Post
                                                                    Gimme a 4-Way with onions, a Greek salad, and a sweet tea.

Lion don’t let the haters bother you…. Skyline is the MidWest’s In N Out Burger. If you can prop up a slightly better than Sonic burger as the real deal, then accepting Skyline as chili shouldn’t be that hard. There… I said it.
                                                                    A true pro move for a regular

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                      Irishlion …I’m the same way with She crab soup. I’ll stab someone if they besmirch my favorite local culinary curiosity
                                                                      I tried She-Crab soup in New Jersey way back in the day and had a bad experience… haven’t had a chance to try it again lol

Comment

Skyline ain't special.

It ain't even that good.

I said it.
                                                                        It's ok for fast food Greek Spaghetti.

Comment

I tried She-Crab soup in New Jersey way back in the day and had a bad experience… haven’t had a chance to try it again lol
                                                                          You son of a bitch…

Comment

Gimme a 4-Way with onions, a Greek salad, and a sweet tea.

Tommy bringing the heat!

Comment

• Get the food talk out of here. Surely there's an appropriate thread for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                                                Get the food talk out of here. Surely there's an appropriate thread for it.
                                                                                The food made it a prayer thread and today our prayers were heard! Fuck Sconny

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

The food made it a prayer thread and today our prayers were heard! Fuck Sconny
                                                                                  I'll allow it

Comment

• Only Big Boy's does chili spaghetti correctly

Comment

• So speaking of real rumors, is there actually a push to make the Cincinnati game a night game?

Comment

Skyline ain't special.

It ain't even that good.

I said it.
                                                                                        It's definitely a Cincinnati thing. I've been down near Cinci for about 25 years now and I don't get it, but if you're born here it's like your favorite thing...like ACamp1900 ​​​​​​​and Taco Bell.
                                                                                        Last edited by ulukinatme; 09-25-2021, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

It's definitely a Cincinnati thing. I've been down near Cinci for about 25 years now and I don't get it, but if you're born here it's like your favorite thing...like ACamp1900 ​​​​​​​and Taco Bell.
                                                                                          Not going to lie, I miss Lou and the ukulele... sometime I don't even know who you are anymore!

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post

Not going to lie, I miss Lou and the ukulele... sometime I don't even know who you are anymore!
                                                                                            Since .gif avatars aren't currently working I'll bring him back soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Henges24 View Post

Agreed Henges. Anytime you head to a game downtown (and downtown Detroit is honestly rather nice, it's the surrounding neighborhoods on the outskirts that gives it a bad rep), gotta head to Lafayette Coney afterwards for a little post-game meal. The absolute best.

Comment

So speaking of real rumors, is there actually a push to make the Cincinnati game a night game?
                                                                                                This is a thing? I hope they do. Some of the best in-game atmosphere's I've attended are at night. Some of those USC match ups the past 10 years were LOUD

Comment

So speaking of real rumors, is there actually a push to make the Cincinnati game a night game?
                                                                                                  This would be amazing. I sadly will be attending a funeral and I'm not even sure I'm going to the game as it is.

Comment

• Somebody’s name is being thrown around as the replacement for the ole shrimp boat captain.

Comment

Somebody’s name is being thrown around as the replacement for the ole shrimp boat captain.
                                                                                                      That’s right: Nick Saban

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X