One Stop Rumors Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

I remember when Quinn was hired there were interviews with Eichenberg where he more or less said Hiestand's coaching methods didn't motivate him. I guess it's common for some coaches to pour love on the starters and then treat the backups very differently
    Yeah IIRC Eich essentially wasn't going to play at all until Quinn was hired. Kind of insane to consider.

Comment

Not really a rumor but I would love to see the behind the scenes of the second half of the 2009 season from the point they lost to Navy to Jimmy getting punched in the face, to Louis Nix committing without a coach in place, to the point BK was hired.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

I believe there will be two WR transfers before fall camp. I will say though... it is really common for guys to be unhappy or have one foot out the door and then ultimately come back into the fold. The new legislation that allows for players to play immediately after transferring with no waiver required is going to make things very interesting though because it could remove a lot of the hesitation.
        JJ just announced he is heading into theportal. 1 down.
        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

My next GUESS would be X watts but just a guess

Comment

These are probably the two most significant program-impact rumors I heard in the past few years that didn't leak at the time. I can't speak first hand to their veracity, but they're "allegedly" what happened:

The first is what went down with Harry Hiestand. He was a coach who worked guys HARD and two of them (Hoge, Boudreaux) did not like it. Hoge allegedly started keeping a journal documenting "abuse" and when he went to transfer they went to ND and said "sign the waiver or we go public." It worked out for Hiestand getting an NFL gig, but I was told he was likely not to have the option to return to ND because of the complaints about his conduct. Ironically, a lot of the guys credit Hiestand with their development and becoming stars... different strokes for different folks? There was some shit though like spitting on people or whatever that obviously crosses a line if true.

Second, and a lot of this has leaked since, but honestly the Chip Long stuff was crazy. I was surprised that they were able to keep as tight of a lid on that as they did. There was a full on mutiny brewing. Most of our offensive starters on last year's team were allegedly either going to declare for the NFL or transfer if he was retained. Reportedly just a total asshole to everyone who created a super toxic environment. Constantly yelling, constantly belittling people. Per one starter, paraphrasing, "the only motivation to play well was so that you wouldn't get yelled at." He was a BVG level hire on offense, people just didn't realize it at the time because the talent of the players + Kelly + the elite Clark Lea defense had the team winning so much.

Again, everything above is "allegedly" because it's all second hand.
            Honestly the irony of Hoge being the one to force things is the fact that I know first hand how much Hiestand was big on Hoge coming out of high school. Our head coach is friends with Hiestand from his Illinois days and he liked him so much that he linked Hoge's hudle in a text saying "check THIS guy out" or something to that effect.

I struggle to see Hiestand being too bad, but he definitely was taught and came from a very tough, tough coaching style which I could imagine not being appreciated by some kids but appreciated by others.
            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Originally posted by SoIll View Post
              I'm here for all this shit. Thanks LAX!

How close was Kelly to being gone a few years back? Was Rhule the best we could have done?
              Rhule, Dantonio and one other name that escapes me were the guys that ND looked into after '16.

And the powers that be essentially decided that none of those guys were worth the cash it would've taken to make a change, so they went with the soft reset instead, which was obviously a huge blessing in retrospect, because Dantonio was probably more likely than Rhule (imo, no info in that regard).

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

Rhule, Dantonio and one other name that escapes me were the guys that ND looked into after '16.
                Fleck

Comment

Originally posted by TP81989 View Post

It feels like posters here have had Johnson transferring since he signed with ND.
                  They nailed it!

Comment

LAX is about to come up missing like ACamp
                    "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Fleck
                      Did some digging through old posts, Narduzzi was there too.

(And I thought he would be a decent hire...... never late me make personnel decisions for a high-level football program)

Comment

So, what did Davonte (rumored to) do?

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                          So, what did Davonte (rumored to) do?
                          Beaten to the punch Lax gave what he could on Page 1

Comment

I’ll toss out an interesting one, any prospects you have heard some 11th hour shit or 1 specific nugget went down or held up otherwise they’d be at ND? I’ve heard that was the case with Ezekiel Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                              I’ll toss out an interesting one, any prospects you have heard some 11th hour shit or 1 specific nugget went down or held up otherwise they’d be at ND? I’ve heard that was the case with Ezekiel Elliott
                              whoa

Comment

I kinda wanna hear how bad strength & conditioning got in 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                  I thought we wanted him at corner.
                                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by NDRock View Post

I thought we wanted him at corner.
                                    Safety I think but regardless I don’t think it was that straight forward. He has said publicly that part that ND wanted him to play defense which I think the staff could have conveyed that stance better I think it was more we were recruiting him as a ATH not that he couldn’t play RB period. But remember also he had the NSD saga with a possible flip to Mizzou. I’ve just heard OSU pulled some stuff behind the signs to kind of secure him. Nothing you couldn’t twist as calling “above board”

I think if we go revisionist history. Does he even visit OSU and leave the door open if we don’t recruit him as a ATH? That’s where the D part goes into play, it gave him doubts I think and OSU swooped in
                                    Last edited by Dale; 05-03-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have any good stories of programs dropping bags on ND commits? The one that comes to mind is the NSD flip of Greenberry to Houston. Dude would have been a stud in South Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by tussin View Post
                                        Does anyone have any good stories of programs dropping bags on ND commits? The one that comes to mind is the NSD flip of Greenberry to Houston. Dude would have been a stud in South Bend.
                                        I can't remember his name but we had an offensive or defensive linemen decommit to Clemson and about a month after NSD posted a pic in a new Mercedes with big wad of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

I can't remember his name but we had an offensive or defensive linemen decommit to Clemson and about a month after NSD posted a pic in a new Mercedes with big wad of cash.
                                          Kenneth Page. Brice Butler did the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GrangerIrish24 View Post

Wow I didn't realize that was 2008. 2006-2009 recruiting we lost like 7-8 recruits a year to the bag-man. Greg Little, Arrelious Benn too.

Comment

Wow I didn't realize that was 2008. 2006-2009 recruiting we lost like 7-8 recruits a year to the bag-man. Greg Little, Arrelious Benn too.
                                              Im still holding out hope that Benn is a silent commit

Comment

This had academic tie-ups too. His cousin, Tee Shepard, was already an EE and was struggling. Definitely a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by GrangerIrish24 View Post

I just found the Kenneth Page picture in question, posted about a week after flipping.

Comment

Part of that was Charlie always went big game hunting. Won some big ones but lost out on a lot also. Made following recruiting more exciting. Doubt we would even invest much effort into some of those kids nowadays.
                                                    "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

This had academic tie-ups too. His cousin, Tee Shepard, was already an EE and was struggling. Definitely a factor.
                                                      Tee was on campus only for a few weeks. Didn't he get booted due to insufficient transcripts or something weird with his class record? I don't think he even stepped foot in class, did he?

Comment

Funniest story I ever heard was Saban himself offering Gunner Kiel like $10k on his visit. Allegedly told him to go check in a Bear Bryant hat in a car and there was a giant wad of cash inside. Story came a professional reporter who allegedly heard it from Kiel himself.

But yeah... even for recruits that aren’t “big time” national SEC style recruits it is common place for money to get thrown around. Like there was a kid in our last class who allegedly took a significant sum of money from another school before ultimately signing with ND.

Comment

If u listened to either of the Golics on the radio regularly they often hinted that Harry was a total hard ass jackofff.

He taught em up tho.

Prehistoric

Comment

Like there was a kid in our last class who allegedly took a significant sum of money from another school before ultimately signing with ND.
                                                            What a f'ing king.

Broke: Having integrity and not taking cash and choosing the best fit.
                                                            woke: picking a school because you get paid.
                                                            Bespoke: taking cash from immoral clowns and then choosing the best fit lol
                                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Anyone remember a story about the OL recruit Jacques McClendon? Believe he was in the 2007 class. Heard something about him getting asked to leave while he was on an official trip to ND. This ring a bell to anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                If u listened to either of the Golics on the radio regularly they often hinted that Harry was a total hard ass jackofff.

He taught em up tho.

Jr especially loves Hiestand. And then all the other lads on the Joe Moore Award voting committee like Aaron Taylor, Duke Mayweather and Geoff Schwarz are the same
                                                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

Got another one i thought of..

When Aaron Lynch signed with ND out of Florida, a wealthy ND booster paid for Aaron's sister to attend an expensive private boarding school in the midwest for a year
                                                                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

I was at Holy Cross as a Freshman the same year Clausen was a Freshman. I remember a rumor around the campuses that he would bring back girls to his dorm (that I believe he rarely used), have sex, then tell the girl that before she left, she'd have to have sex with his "boys" as well.

Comment

Anyone remember a story about the OL recruit Jacques McClendon? Believe he was in the 2007 class. Heard something about him getting asked to leave while he was on an official trip to ND. This ring a bell to anyone?
                                                                      I recall a story from right around that time that somebody was sent home because they trashed their hotel room. I was never told who it was, though.

Comment

Got another one i thought of..

When Aaron Lynch signed with ND out of Florida, a wealthy ND booster paid for Aaron's sister to attend an expensive private boarding school in the midwest for a year
                                                                        those first couple years of BK recruiting were pretty wild, but Aaron Lynch definitely takes the cake. Rumor was they buried his grandfather's ashes on campus and then like 2 weeks later he decommitted. His mom also posted here quite a bit IIRC

Comment

Don't forget Deon McIntosh being sent home from a bowl game for enlisting the services of a hooker
                                                                          What did Davonte do?

Comment

Funniest story I ever heard was Saban himself offering Gunner Kiel like $10k on his visit. Allegedly told him to go check in a Bear Bryant hat in a car and there was a giant wad of cash inside. Story came a professional reporter who allegedly heard it from Kiel himself.

But yeah... even for recruits that aren’t “big time” national SEC style recruits it is common place for money to get thrown around. Like there was a kid in our last class who allegedly took a significant sum of money from another school before ultimately signing with ND.
                                                                            Buddy of mine who was friends w/ family of Altee Tenpenny (RIP) told me that when Saban hosted him & his family on a recruiting visit at his lake house (must have been unofficial), they were directed to take a paper bag on their way home. The bag was full of cash. Sounds silly but don’t know why they would lie to my buddy since the kid ultimately committed to Bama.

Comment

• #88
                                                                              Don't forget Deon McIntosh being sent home from a bowl game for enlisting the services of a hooker
                                                                              Was this a rumor though or just straight up fact? Lol

Comment

• #89
                                                                                Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post

I recall a story from right around that time that somebody was sent home because they trashed their hotel room. I was never told who it was, though.
                                                                                Interesting. Kid is from my hometown. Seemed to have a good reputation as well as having a successful career at UT and then in the pros. Thanks.

Comment

• #90

Interesting. Kid is from my hometown. Seemed to have a good reputation as well as having a successful career at UT and then in the pros. Thanks.
                                                                                  We all had our first beer at some point, and for some the night didn't end well.

Comment

• #91
                                                                                    Gotta question when a player hangs out with the opposing head coach the night before a big game

Comment

• #92
                                                                                      This thread is wild and almost all of these stories/rumors are new to me lol

Comment

• #93
                                                                                        Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

Was this a rumor though or just straight up fact? Lol
                                                                                        i think it was fact but obviously never reported officially lol. Kid went to Last Chance U and then Washington State
                                                                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

• #94
                                                                                          Pete Jurkovec transferred from ND to BC cos he missed his girlfriend who attends Boston University

What did Davonte do?

Comment

• #95
                                                                                            I'd love it if Max Redfield and Kevin Stepherson did a Notre Dame podcast together. 'Loon like A Champion' or something.

Comment

• #96
                                                                                              Pete Jurkovec transferred from ND to BC cos he missed his girlfriend who attends Boston University
                                                                                              I don't mean to pick on you, but this type of rumor has to be the floor for this thread. Some of these rumors are better than recruiting news itself, and you just brought in a sack of potatoes. Let's ramp it up from here on out.

Comment

• #97
                                                                                                Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post

I don't mean to pick on you, but this type of rumor has to be the floor for this thread. Some of these rumors are better than recruiting news itself, and you just brought in a sack of potatoes. Let's ramp it up from here on out.
                                                                                                this has been tossed around as one of the reasons he was transferring...whats your point, just because it isn't a juicy one? this is the rumors thread
                                                                                                EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• #98
                                                                                                  Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post

Pretty sure thats one of the reasons we lost Elijah Hood to UNC. #Roll Toilet

Comment

• #99
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

I might've posted this here before, but per an ND reporter (who everyone hates), this was a $$ flip
                                                                                                    My CFB Book: https://www.amazon.com/Southbound-Tr.../dp/0692932593

Comment

• Originally posted by hungryhippo View Post

I might've posted this here before, but per an ND reporter (who everyone hates), this was a $$ flip

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X