No announcement yet.

2021 Spring Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone tell me how Pyne isn't simply a smaller, slower Ian Book? Like what about his passing game is significantly different than what Ian Brought to the table?

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
      Can someone tell me how Pyne isn't simply a smaller, slower Ian Book? Like what about his passing game is significantly different than what Ian Brought to the table?
      Well, i don’t think he’s significantly different. And I don’t think he’s going to be our starting QB.

But, Ian just refused to throw the ball downfield at times. It was never that he couldn’t do it, it was that he refused to do so. If Pyne is willing to trust what he sees/knows and throw those balls, then I can see him being an improvement in that area. I beat this dead horse all last year but Rees was drawing up shot plays for Book, he simply did not throw them.

That play above is a perfect example. That’s actually pretty good coverage by the Freshman, Riley. But Lenzy has a step on him and Pyne puts the ball where it needs to be. Nothing more than that is really necessary. It wasn’t Lenzy’s 10.6 speed that allowed him to be wide open. Pyne slides in the pocket to evade the pressure and delivers the ball. Trust what you see and trust your WR to make the play.

edit: And I’d add, another area for improvement could come from pocket presence. Book, at times, over the years was a mess from the pocket. Far too many plays were abandoned from the outset because of it. If Book had better pocket presence and trusted his talent, he’s a sure fire NFL draft pick. Young man has talent. So, what we give up in freelance offense can we get back in more plays from the pocket? That would be the questions I’d think of.
      Last edited by Luckylucci; 04-22-2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

Well, i don’t think he’s significantly different. And I don’t think he’s going to be our starting QB.

But, Ian just refused to throw the ball downfield at times. It was never that he couldn’t do it, it was that he refused to do so. If Pyne is willing to trust what he sees/knows and throw those balls, then I can see him being an improvement in that area. I beat this dead horse all last year but Rees was drawing up shot plays for Book, he simply did not throw them.

That play above is a perfect example. That’s actually pretty good coverage by the Freshman, Riley. But Lenzy has a step on him and Pyne puts the ball where it needs to be. Nothing more than that is really necessary. It wasn’t Lenzy’s 10.6 speed that allowed him to be wide open. Pyne slides in the pocket to evade the pressure and delivers the ball. Trust what you see and trust your WR to make the play.
        I don't think Book was capable of reading downfield coverages well. I hope he improves and becomes a quality NFL'er but he either failed to take the 1:1 shots or he'd chuck it into double coverage. I don't know if his spatial perception was weaker 30+ yards down field or what because he was really good at short/intermediate throws, especially on the run.

As Rees was alluding to in his quote, we don't need to throw the ball down field 8 times/game. But the threat must be there and that means it must be thrown deep at least a few/game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
          Can someone tell me how Pyne isn't simply a smaller, slower Ian Book? Like what about his passing game is significantly different than what Ian Brought to the table?
          Most have said but my thoughts and hope is Book to me would freak out too quickly and leave the pocket when he didn't have to at times and I think the thought is Pyne is better at reading defenses, will hang in the pocket longer and wait for his guy to get open and will get it there accurately. Whether that is what he turns out to be IDK.

Comment

• "I think Lawrence Keys has probably had as good of a spring as anybody on offense. He's shown the ability to stretch the field, make explosive plays and that was one of the things that we challenged him with....

Braden Lenzy, the last couple of days, has really come on. I'm excited about the trust that we're building there in order for him to be in an expanded role and hand him more on his plate.

"As for the other guys, Joe Wilkins has been pretty steady throughout spring, but we need his game to go to the next extra level. For the young guys, Jordan Johnson missed a couple of practice, that's gonna slow his development down. Lorenzo Styles has certainly done some good things. But just like any senior [in high school], there's a new speed, there are new expectations, there's a level of detail that goes into playing at this level that those guys just need to learn.
            https://notredame.rivals.com/news/qu...ess-conference

Comment

• MTA zone read package confirmed
              What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

MTA zone read package confirmed
                He should have kept it there.

Comment

• Jordan Johnson missed a couple of practice, that's gonna slow his development down.

Not good news for Jordan Johnson, don't know what to think of him at this point. When do you start to wonder if he can make it at ND??

Comment

• looks like Drew White is back out there
                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Pyne looks so tiny.
                      I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post

Jordan Johnson missed a couple of practice, that's gonna slow his development down.

Not good news for Jordan Johnson, don't know what to think of him at this point. When do you start to wonder if he can make it at ND??
                        He's a redshirt freshman and we're wondering if he can make it? Is this serious or said in jest? People don't use italics like in the past so I can't tell.

Do you think he's going to transfer because he's unhappy without playing time? Or he simply can't develop enough as a 19 year old RS Freshman?

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

Just an FYI, but it's Coan.

Does every fanbase struggle with their players' names as much as we do? Lol
                          I haven't looked at the roster and study materials. Was going to cram the night before the test. lol

Comment

• Quote from Hinish on our freshman fighting for a starting position.

“These guys are good. Rocco Spindler and Blake Fisher are damn good,” said defensive tackle Kurt Hinish. “They’re really good offensive linemen and they’re gonna be really good here. They’re the two best freshman offensive linemen I’ve ever seen or have went against, and they both should be seniors in high school.

“These guys, they’re grown men playing with us.”

Comment

• Anyone else think that TB is much shorter then advertised? Next to JC and RP3 he looks closer to 6' then 6'2''
                              " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

• Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                Anyone else think that TB is much shorter then advertised? Next to JC and RP3 he looks closer to 6' then 6'2''
                                It's still hard to tell for me, but one thing I know is dude either has a super short neck or MASSIVE pads he wears lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

He's a redshirt freshman and we're wondering if he can make it? Is this serious or said in jest? People don't use italics like in the past so I can't tell.

Do you think he's going to transfer because he's unhappy without playing time? Or he simply can't develop enough as a 19 year old RS Freshman?
                                  Yeah, way to early to write him off, but I think what the original poster meant was...

Will JJ stick around knowing he's a 5 star and not cracking the depth chart yet. Which, is sort of fair to wonder...a lot of 5 star WRs want early PT, regardless if they've "earned it". 5 stars operate on a different "schedule" than standard recruits.

Comment

Anyone else think that TB is much shorter then advertised? Next to JC and RP3 he looks closer to 6' then 6'2''
                                    He's 6'1 on the roster. The last 3, signed, QB's are all sub 6'2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                      Quote from Hinish on our freshman fighting for a starting position.

OMM right now - "Giggity giggity!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

He's 6'1 on the roster. The last 3, signed, QB's are all sub 6'2.
                                        I see that now, on the roster. I was looking at his IE page that had him listed at 6'2''. So much for getting that taller QB who can see over the LOS ;)

Comment

I see that now, on the roster. I was looking at his IE page that had him listed at 6'2''. So much for getting that taller QB who can see over the LOS ;)
                                          Let Coan start this year, then maybe TB and Pyne will hit their growth spurts to be ready for 2022!

Comment

• Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post

Let Coan start this year, then maybe TB and Pyne will hit their growth spurts to be ready for 2022!
                                            I'm 39, and I am still waiting to hit my growth spurt. Our college hockey program had me listed at 6'1 185. I wasn't that big lol.

long story short, me thinky TB is maxed out height wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

Yeah, way to early to write him off, but I think what the original poster meant was...

Will JJ stick around knowing he's a 5 star and not cracking the depth chart yet. Which, is sort of fair to wonder...a lot of 5 star WRs want early PT, regardless if they've "earned it". 5 stars operate on a different "schedule" than standard recruits.
                                              I think things like this only get magnified once everyone gets the one free transfer. How coaches read and handle situations like this throughout their roster will be interesting.

It's not about his skill level it's about accountability for him right now.
                                              Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

Not sure if I missed something, but read a few articles that he was in the thick of things. Even NDI has him #2 behind Lenzy on the outside. IMO, it's a pretty good spot to be in if true, as I'm just not sure Lenzy steps up as a well rounded guy. That stack is much more palatable than the other outside WR stack right now.
                                                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Not sure if I missed something, but read a few articles that he was in the thick of things. Even NDI has him #2 behind Lenzy on the outside. IMO, it's a pretty good spot to be in if true, as I'm just not sure Lenzy steps up as a well rounded guy. That stack is much more palatable than the other outside WR stack right now.
                                                  Tom's presser yesterday he said that JJ has missed a few practices and said, "it's set him back".

Obviously it's just the spring, but also consider KA will be coming back too in the fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post

Prister confirmed my suspicion, Lugg must be nursing something likely brought on this alignment. Lugg obviously not with the 1s and Prister said clips revealed 2s were LT-Carmody and RT-Caleb Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

Prister confirmed my suspicion, Lugg must be nursing something likely brought on this alignment. Lugg obviously not with the 1s and Prister said clips revealed 2s were LT-Carmody and RT-Caleb Johnson
                                                      If Lugg is nursing yet another injury, it's probably safe to start setting line-ups without him and then you can be pleasantly surprised if he can contribute. I hate it for him but it's dangerous to count on someone with this kind of history (if injury is correct).

Comment

he's had a bad back for ages, so would presume it is that
                                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Hopefully small and not back related, he spoke to the media I think just the day before about dropping weight to help his back issues and overall play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

I am wondering if Johnson is having trouble academically. We all know the talent he has, we know he is a 5*. If he is missing practices and needs to get better with off the field issues. What are those issues? Is he in the Kelly doghouse?

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post

I am wondering if Johnson is having trouble academically. We all know the talent he has, we know he is a 5*. If he is missing practices and needs to get better with off the field issues. What are those issues? Is he in the Kelly doghouse?
                                                              BK addressed JJ's academic standing earlier in the spring. He stated he is in a good place now and that those issues are behind him. I think he has missed some practice time due to an injury. There was a clip of Keys scoring a touchdown in a two minute drill and a bunch of his teammates mobbed him. One of those was JJ but he was hobbling out to the celebration.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDohio View Post

BK addressed JJ's academic standing earlier in the spring. He stated he is in a good place now and that those issues are behind him. I think he has missed some practice time due to an injury. There was a clip of Keys scoring a touchdown in a two minute drill and a bunch of his teammates mobbed him. One of those was JJ but he was hobbling out to the celebration.
                                                                Wait a second, are you saying we’re overreacting about nothing? Impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDohio View Post

This. It's incredibly dangerous to speculate on a kid's academic standing. From all accounts, JJ has gotten himself right in the classroom. Doesn't mean there can't be a lapse but let's all hope he keeps his head down, nose to the grindstone and we see big things from him in the spring game/fall/

At this point, he's not taken a starting spot but he has plenty of opportunities to earn more targets over the coming months.

Comment

Crazy to think two freshman start on the line, but there's a significant name missing from there that's definitely going to effect the lineup.

Comment

• Seems like a fun, energetic coach.
                                                                      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Yea, he seems like a great dude. I would assume that he's been given high remarks from both Lea and Freeman which is about as good as it gets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

I think Sherm Sticky and I were discussing this a few days or week ago. I'd prefer Wallace step up at NB so Lewis can stick at CB.
                                                                          Yes sir we did. We love KJ Wallace playing the nickel. I think that is the perfect spot for him. Sorry I'm behind, been busy at work and life in general recently.

Comment

• Does anyone else feel the staff is throwing some shade with all the talk of just playing football and football vs fitball against Lea?

Comment

• Originally posted by KyfightingIrish36 View Post
                                                                              Does anyone else feel the staff is throwing some shade with all the talk of just playing football and football vs fitball against Lea?
                                                                              I wouldn’t call it “shade” no. Freeman uses confident language but is not in a disparaging tone. He actually shouted out Elko even in addition to Lea. Now some players, particularly those that are in line for bigger roles under Freeman, are going to naturally convey a sense of new “freedom” with a new coach.

Comment

• So was there no Sat Q and A with Kelly today? Don't see anything

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
                                                                                  So was there no Sat Q and A with Kelly today? Don't see anything
                                                                                  Just ended.

Haven’t seen full transcript but ISD just posted this:

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14817...portal-updates

Of recent discussion note, Lugg was back practicing so that was either a 1-2 day absence only

Comment

• Today's practice clips from ISD

Comment

• Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                                                                                      Today's practice clips from ISD

Still Fisher - Spindler - Correll - Kristofic - Baker

Bk said Lugg was back, though I didn’t spot a 75 in the 2s either.

Starting to feel like 7 guys have some distance. Patterson, Lugg, Correll, Kristofic, Baker, Fisher, Spindler. Haven’t see Gibbons as much and he has taken some 2C snaps. Haven’t seen Dirksen with the 1s since Week 1.

Comment

• Dang, we are going to need to pass a lot.
                                                                                        Pyne to Davis looked nice.
                                                                                        Safety by Marist made Kristofic look silly.

Comment

Starting to feel like 7 guys have some distance. Patterson, Lugg, Correll, Kristofic, Baker, Fisher, Spindler. Haven’t see Gibbons as much and he has taken some 2C snaps. Haven’t seen Dirksen with the 1s since Week 1.
                                                                                          I was thinking the same thing of the top 7 but the guys over at II insist that Gibbons is in the mix. So could definitely be a top 8 at this point.
                                                                                          Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Where is Dirksen and Carroll? I've heard very little about them.

Comment

this is similar to what I said a few weeks ago. I said Fisher or Baker at LT (and the loser of that battle goes to RT), and Rocco at LG. I had Patterson going back to C though. Patterson at RG doesn't surprise me though, and I think Baker will still have to beat out Lugg for RT (and I think he will).

I'm in full buy mode though for a full frosh left side. Not that I'm happy about it, it's just seems it's trended that way from the start with them getting more and more first team snaps. Pretty obvious that their ceiling is seen as higher. If they are that good, I'd rather them start early and get a good 3 years out of both. And I have high confidence in Baker too. Might have some bumps, but I think by the end of the year, and certainly next year, we'll be better off for it. And Spindler just gives me Q vibes.
                                                                                              The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                              Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
                                                                                                Where is Dirksen and Carroll? I've heard very little about them.
                                                                                                O'Malley asked Kelly about Carroll in the Q & A yesterday and mentioned it in his latest "Instant Analysis". Apparently Carroll is not quick enough to get to the 2nd level as a run blocker "even at guard".

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post

O'Malley asked Kelly about Carroll in the Q & A yesterday and mentioned it in his latest "Instant Analysis". Apparently Carroll is not quick enough to get to the 2nd level as a run blocker "even at guard".
                                                                                                  guy has always been stiff apparently
                                                                                                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

• https://247sports.com/college/notre-.../#164622142_12

The full transcript is above but here is what he said about Carroll.

"He's gotten really strong, physically. I think the area he has to continue to develop is the picking up of movement. It's been one where he's struggled at times. We've moved him around to be fair with him. I really like his progress in the weight room. He's gotten really strong. Now, the next level is going out there when we got movement, linebackers moving, and being able to pick up a lot of that movement - continue to work on his agility and change of direction. Those are the areas he has to focus on."

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post

I was thinking the same thing of the top 7 but the guys over at II insist that Gibbons is in the mix. So could definitely be a top 8 at this point.
                                                                                                      I’d bet he’s the “Third OG” come Fall. I think even though we’re still talking Spring the actions speak. He was getting 1s LG reps to begin and now is getting 2s OG and C reps, meanwhile Kelly stressed we need someone that can snap besides Correll. I’d guess they view Gibbons being 2C and “Third OG” has still a valuable asset to plug anywhere inside in case of injury

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X