No announcement yet.

2021 Spring Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What position concerns people the most so far? I think ND will eventually settle in at the o-line. I want to see Fisher and Spindler play, but give them the starting job if they truly win the competition, we have enough depth at position. I am concerned most with WR. The names mentioned above have been injury prone. Can ND really count on Austin to be their #1 WR if not who? Is JJ having trouble in the classroom? How is Watts coming along? I think Lenzy can be used as a WR2 or slot. What can Colzie or Thomas bring when they com in June? Too many questions at the WR position.

ND will be fine at defense, I think they are going to be a surprise team on defense this year. We all hated losing Lea, but ND may have a better upgrade in Freeman.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post
      What position concerns people the most so far? I think ND will eventually settle in at the o-line. I want to see Fisher and Spindler play, but give them the starting job if they truly win the competition, we have enough depth at position. I am concerned most with WR. The names mentioned above have been injury prone. Can ND really count on Austin to be their #1 WR if not who? Is JJ having trouble in the classroom? How is Watts coming along? I think Lenzy can be used as a WR2 or slot. What can Colzie or Thomas bring when they com in June? Too many questions at the WR position.

ND will be fine at defense, I think they are going to be a surprise team on defense this year. We all hated losing Lea, but ND may have a better upgrade in Freeman.
      Biggest concerns are Safety and Corner. We need a lot to go right for those positions to be able to compete at a national championship level, including:

1. Houston Griffith and/or DJ Brown elevating their game in a major way.

2. Some combination of Clarence Lewis, Tariq Bracy, and Cam Hart turning into consistent, quality starters.

3. Kyle Hamilton staying healthy.

4. Finding someone to competently play Nickel.

I have doubts about the first two coming to pass and God help us if KH misses extended time. I’m irrationally optimistic about JoJo Johnson saving the day at Nickel, although I know that’s probably not going to happen.

Conversely, I’m not all that worried about WR. Two guys are going to emerge between Austin, Lenzy, Keys, Johnson, Davis, Watts, Wilkins, and Styles. We won’t need much more than that because we’re going to get elite production from the TE position and I expect Kyren and Tyree to make a major impact in the passing game.

Comment

• Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post

Biggest concerns are Safety and Corner. We need a lot to go right for those positions to be able to compete at a national championship level, including:

2. Some combination of Clarence Lewis, Tariq Bracy, and Cam Hart turning into consistent, quality starters.

I have doubts about the first two coming to pass and God help us if KH misses extended time. I’m irrationally optimistic about JoJo Johnson saving the day at Nickel, although I know that’s probably not going to happen.

Conversely, I’m not all that worried about WR. Two guys are going to emerge between Austin, Lenzy, Keys, Johnson, Davis, Watts, Wilkins, and Styles. We won’t need much more than that because we’re going to get elite production from the TE position and I expect Kyren and Tyree to make a major impact in the passing game.
        WR and OL are the biggest concerns.

Our OL is getting abused in the clips and we haven't seen that in a long time. If our OL can't hold up for deep shots and we can't open holes for the RBs, we're going to have a rough offensive year. Which leads to the other big concern: can we find real playmakers at the WR position? We must have it. We need to have burners and we need to have guys who can win their 50/50 balls.

If I'm listing the most concerning positions: OL, WR, CB, S, QB

CB comes third because our front 7 can make the secondary look a lot better. I really think our front 7 is going to be playing championship-level football.

A QB has to be generational to make the OL look better. You need a sold - great OL to make the WRs look better.

Again, I'm not concerned until we're halfway through fall. If it still looks like the spring clips, then we're in trouble. Plenty of time for guys to settle into a position.

We really need Austin to be healthy and play his way into a 2nd-3rd rd draft selection.

Comment

• Jay Brunelle back off the back of a milk carton. Think it's the first time he's been spotted in spring ball
          What did Davonte do?

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

I really do think we're kinda hosed at corner and on the OL this year. Just too much inexperience and replacing too many talented players. McCloud was underrated for us last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

I really do think we're kinda hosed at corner and on the OL this year. Just too much inexperience and replacing too many talented players. McCloud was underrated for us last year.
                  still time to pick up another McCloud i guess, he didnt announce his transfer until post-spring ball last year
                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

I’m not ready to panic about OL yet. There are a lot of factors weighing in our favor:

1. Four guys have played competently in limited or extended action: Patterson, Lugg, Gibbons, and Correll.

2. Patterson’s positional flexibility allows us to put the 5 best players on the field.

3. Fisher and Spindler were borderline 5 star guys (probably would’ve been had they signed with Bama or OSU) and from every indication they’re as good or better than advertised.

4. The OL is getting reps against the best DL they’ll face during the regular season. I’d take our 2nd string over most of our opponents.

The practice clips make things look more dire than they are. The OL is getting moved around constantly and having to go up against a veteran, deep DL. If we start to settle in on the below lineup come fall, I’m going to feel pretty good about where stand:

LT - Fisher
                          LG - Patterson
                          C - Correll
                          RG - Gibbons/Spindler
                          RT - Lugg

Comment

• He also gave a glowing review of Botelho. Like I said in his thread, I drank all the Botelho kool-aid. Sorry not sorry.

Comment

• Comment

• Watch: Marcus Freeman on His Recruiting Philosophy and Defensive Scheme (247sports.com)

Comment

• Instant Analysis: Marcus Freeman on Personnel and Recruiting (247sports.com)

Comment

• Biggest concern is the OL by a large margin when comparing to last year. Corners were serviceable last year but weren't exactly all world. I could see them playing at the same level or a slight uptick from what we saw in 2020. The Oline was the strength of the team. It's going to be a drop-off. The question is how much.

Comment

I’m not ready to panic about OL yet. There are a lot of factors weighing in our favor:

1. Four guys have played competently in limited or extended action: Patterson, Lugg, Gibbons, and Correll.

2. Patterson’s positional flexibility allows us to put the 5 best players on the field.

3. Fisher and Spindler were borderline 5 star guys (probably would’ve been had they signed with Bama or OSU) and from every indication they’re as good or better than advertised.

4. The OL is getting reps against the best DL they’ll face during the regular season. I’d take our 2nd string over most of our opponents.

The practice clips make things look more dire than they are. The OL is getting moved around constantly and having to go up against a veteran, deep DL. If we start to settle in on the below lineup come fall, I’m going to feel pretty good about where stand:

LT - Fisher
                                      LG - Patterson
                                      C - Correll
                                      RG - Gibbons/Spindler
                                      RT - Lugg

It would be disappointing if Baker and Kristofic both get jumped by true freshman.

I'm starting to think:

LT - Patterson -- Baker
                                      LG - Lugg -- Spindler
                                      C - Correll -- Gibbons
                                      RG - Gibbons--Kristofic
                                      RT - Fisher--Baker[/QUOTE]
                                      Last edited by Domina Nostra; 04-20-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• O line will be fine, we've recruited well there for years. I continue to be extremely concerned about our secondary. we have recruited very average there the past 5-10 years and the lack of depth/impact players outside of KH has shown up continuously in the big games.
                                        Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Biggest concern- no Jordan Johnson highlights...

Comment

• This is basically the lineup you would come up with if you went exclusively by recruiting rankings. The only exception being Lugg, Carroll, and Carmody were ranked slightly higher than Kristofic. Patterson will obviously slot in somewhere, but this lineup would represent Kelly/Quinn seeking to maximize potential and continuity over the long term (all these guys have at least 3 years of eligibility remaining).

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                              O line will be fine, we've recruited well there for years. I continue to be extremely concerned about our secondary. we have recruited very average there the past 5-10 years and the lack of depth/impact players outside of KH has shown up continuously in the big games.
                                              Simple solution - get to the QB all the time.

Definitely agree, there are some concerns in the secondary but having an all american and a good defensive line will help them out. I really don't know what to make of the oline. We have some big time recruits but four new starters and losing their best run blocker, Tremble, is concerning. Helps having Kyren in the back field for pass pro. Maybe Mayer can be as dominant as Tremble in the game. Even if we're slightly better than average, how is the offense going to perform given they are so used to having an extremely good, if not dominant, oline?

Comment

• Very glad they are finally playing Fisher and Baker together. If Blake is that far along then I think the best 5 includes those two at OT and Patterson at G.

Comment

• Everything Notre Dame DC Marcus Freeman said on Tuesday (247sports.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                    Very glad they are finally playing Fisher and Baker together. If Blake is that far along then I think the best 5 includes those two at OT and Patterson at G.
                                                    There's been clips of them together before, very early in fact. Maybe running two's at that time, but together.

Comment

• I must have missed that, where did you see this?

Comment

This is basically the lineup you would come up with if you went exclusively by recruiting rankings. The only exception being Lugg, Carroll, and Carmody were ranked slightly higher than Kristofic. Patterson will obviously slot in somewhere, but this lineup would represent Kelly/Quinn seeking to maximize potential and continuity over the long term (all these guys have at least 3 years of eligibility remaining).
                                                        I think this only tells half a story though. Where was Lugg? Was he with the Twos? Was he sidelined with a minor injury? If Lugg was sidelined, it’s not necessarily a huge sign. If Lugg is running with Carmody, Gibbons etc then you can draw a bit of interest

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

Simple solution - get to the QB all the time.

Definitely agree, there are some concerns in the secondary but having an all american and a good defensive line will help them out. I really don't know what to make of the oline. We have some big time recruits but four new starters and losing their best run blocker, Tremble, is concerning. Helps having Kyren in the back field for pass pro. Maybe Mayer can be as dominant as Tremble in the game. Even if we're slightly better than average, how is the offense going to perform given they are so used to having an extremely good, if not dominant, oline?
                                                          I think that makes the possible addition of the RPO game all the more important. We need to put the defense in some more conflict to slow down the downhill flow of the linebackers and possibly allow us to open up some more holes in the passing game downfield for some home run balls.
                                                          Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post

I think that makes the possible addition of the RPO game all the more important. We need to put the defense in some more conflict to slow down the downhill flow of the linebackers and possibly allow us to open up some more holes in the passing game downfield for some home run balls.
                                                            This plus the screen game and quick slants, fake quick slants w/deep shots, tunnel screens with Lenzy/Keys/Tyree/Styles and anyone else who is fast and plenty of misdirection and eye candy w/backfield movement. I really hope we use that consistently.

Comment

I must have missed that, where did you see this?
                                                              all within the past 2 weeks, they seem to be always be together ..just looking at the highlights from practice
                                                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• I think some wires might be getting crossed. I’d agree with Lucci, it could have happened but it certainly has not been often Fisher LT & Baker RT. Fisher LT with Spindler at LG and Lugg at RT has been the most common recent grouping

Comment

• I’m always very leery of freshmen starting on the OL. They will be savy when they are older but damn if they don’t usually get beat a bunch along the way.
                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                    I’m always very leery of freshmen starting on the OL. They will be savy when they are older but damn if they don’t usually get beat a bunch along the way.
                                                                    But in all fairness, I'm leery of upperclassmen that get beat out by freshmen. I know we'll have some bumps but if we can weather the storm of the first few games, the growth can be exponential for young guys.

It is an indictment of those guys who've been in the program for 2-4 years but let the cream rise to the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

But in all fairness, I'm leery of upperclassmen that get beat out by freshmen. I know we'll have some bumps but if we can weather the storm of the first few games, the growth can be exponential for young guys.

It is an indictment of those guys who've been in the program for 2-4 years but let the cream rise to the top.
                                                                      You certainly worry if the upperclassman isn't beating out the freshman, but if they're pretty equal I prefer the experience. It takes more than a few games. IMO the freshman year is basically a learning year. As a freshman they are still building strength, learning the position, adjusting to the speed, learning how to practice and trying to get the playbook and mental side down. That's not to say a freshman can't be productive on the O-line, but it's rare.

Comment

• Underclass WR doesn't beat out upperclass WR = We suck
                                                                        Underclass OL beats out upperclass OL = We suck

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                                          Underclass WR doesn't beat out upperclass WR = We suck
                                                                          Underclass OL beats out upperclass OL = We suck
                                                                          I get what you're saying, but to be fair, WR is a position that is much easier to get on the field as a young kid than OL.
                                                                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

I get what you're saying, but to be fair, WR is a position that is much easier to get on the field as a young kid than OL.
                                                                            Golden Tate could only run straight, it got him on the field haha. I remember my freshman year, same as his, at Holy Cross and seeing the student made shirts describing his route tree (it was only a 9). haha
                                                                            Last edited by GowerND11; 04-21-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Fisher and Spindler sound promising. I like that they are getting PT with the #1 OL group, but I this will make them more ready for 2022 if Buchner is our QB.

Has JJ gotten many reps with the first string?

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

Golden Tate could only run straight, it got him on the field haha. I remember my freshman year, same as his, at Holy Cross and seeing the student made shirts describing how route tree (it was only a 9). haha
                                                                                I loved this shirt. Sadly mine disintegrated from washing a few years back, and I can't find any pictures online.

Comment

• Pyne is putting together quite the Spring highlight reel.

Comment

Pyne is putting together quite the Spring highlight reel.

He has to play right? I'd be happy with QB by committee early on in the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

Based on some of the highlights he has posted I would say he’s gonna be in the Heisman conversation come November. Can’t believe we had to suffer through Ian while this guy was on the bench! I’m just kidding but I hope we have two QB’s that are comfortable and confident and may the best man win come August.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

I watch that and come away not impressed. It's solid placement and read but the ball looks wobbly and seems like he pushes it

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish8248 View Post

I watch that and come away not impressed. It's solid placement and read but the ball looks wobbly and seems like he pushes it
                                                                                          Same, but he has still be great per the footage and its a good sign they have him throwing deep to 0.

Comment

• Originally posted by 317Irish View Post

Based on some of the highlights he has posted I would say he’s gonna be in the Heisman conversation come November. Can’t believe we had to suffer through Ian while this guy was on the bench! I’m just kidding but I hope we have two QB’s that are comfortable and confident and may the best man win come August.
                                                                                            I still don't see him beating out Cohen, but agree that we need a solid #2 to be ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

I still don't see him beating out Cohen, but agree that we need a solid #2 to be ready.
                                                                                              Just an FYI, but it's Coan.

Does every fanbase struggle with their players' names as much as we do? Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

Just an FYI, but it's Coan.

Does every fanbase struggle with their players' names as much as we do? Lol
                                                                                                Dayne Christ
                                                                                                Everette Ghoulston
                                                                                                Tommy Reese
                                                                                                and not a player but Charlie Weiss

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

Dayne Christ
                                                                                                  Everette Ghoulston
                                                                                                  Tommy Reese
                                                                                                  Kiser

Comment

• Houston Griffin
                                                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

Dayne Christ
                                                                                                      Everette Ghoulston
                                                                                                      Tommy Reese
                                                                                                      Drew White

" Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X