No announcement yet.

2021 Spring Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just heard a Michigan Poo Cast that said JJ Mac has been up and down for them in spring training so far as well so yeah (spelling error intended).

Comment

• ISD brought up that this is the year for Nana to make a move and I agree. He’s well put together and has decent height for the position but he’s got some vets in front of him and he’ll have some guys coming in behind him.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
              Starting to think Drew Pyne might be pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post

Really not much to base it on but in those clips they show us his arm looks plenty strong.

Comment

• Clemson spring game on ACC network right now
                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

• New practice highlights
                    Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog!

Comment

• TB with has some wheels

Comment

• Anyone else giving out a sighhhhhh of meh hearing about the status of WR.... IDK, I was hoping for better. Hearing Davis is the "leader", talk about consistency (or lack there of) from Keys and Lenzy, and hearing JJ is doing better in the classroom, is just a huge meh to me.

I know I know I know... it's early. Just seems like a rinse/repeat situation at WR though.
                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post

Or Coan is less than we assumed. Or BK is trying to keep competition at a certain level and being overly kind so neither check out and hit the portal.

Notre Dame - Short QB U

Did anyone really not expect we'd have a QB starting that was 6ft or under?

Comment

• TB showing off his athleticism
                            Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                              Anyone else giving out a sighhhhhh of meh hearing about the status of WR.... IDK, I was hoping for better. Hearing Davis is the "leader", talk about consistency (or lack there of) from Keys and Lenzy, and hearing JJ is doing better in the classroom, is just a huge meh to me.

I know I know I know... it's early. Just seems like a rinse/repeat situation at WR though.
                              This was my take away as well. Pretty concerning actually. All the supposed talent at WR and those comments make me shutter.

Comment

Anyone else giving out a sighhhhhh of meh hearing about the status of WR.... IDK, I was hoping for better. Hearing Davis is the "leader", talk about consistency (or lack there of) from Keys and Lenzy, and hearing JJ is doing better in the classroom, is just a huge meh to me.

I get the concern but Austin isn't practicing, Lenzy is coming off an injury, Styles is an EE in his first spring ball and to top it all off we're 4 practices in and what BK says to the media may be a little vanilla/coach speak. I think when everyone is healthy and practicing we'll see a drastically improved and more talented WR group as a whole than we've seen the last couple years.

Also sucks that the media doesn't get any viewing and all we get to know is what BK wants to tell us.

Comment

• Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post

This was my take away as well. Pretty concerning actually. All the supposed talent at WR and those comments make me shutter.
                                  It's deja vu

Originally posted by jspags10pg View Post

I get the concern but Austin isn't practicing, Lenzy is coming off an injury, Styles is an EE in his first spring ball and to top it all off we're 4 practices in and what BK says to the media may be a little vanilla/coach speak. I think when everyone is healthy and practicing we'll see a drastically improved and more talented WR group as a whole than we've seen the last couple years.

Also sucks that the media doesn't get any viewing and all we get to know is what BK wants to tell us.
                                  I hope so. Regardless, it would be nice to hear them say XXX is really stepping up, or YYY has made some incredible grabs. I want to hear Johnson or Watts are breaking out. Or Wilkins is killing it. In the first vid we got, I think it was Wilkins and/or Watts that had some nice catches. I get it that Austin is out now, and Lenzy may be a bit gimpy still, but I'm just tired of hearing our top guy is a
                                  "leader" lol.

Comment

It's deja vu

I hope so. Regardless, it would be nice to hear them say XXX is really stepping up, or YYY has made some incredible grabs. I want to hear Johnson or Watts are breaking out. Or Wilkins is killing it. In the first vid we got, I think it was Wilkins and/or Watts that had some nice catches. I get it that Austin is out now, and Lenzy may be a bit gimpy still, but I'm just tired of hearing our top guy is a
                                    "leader" lol.
                                    If you listen to the II podcast yesterday, they've heard that Lenzy and Keyes both have looked great this camp so far

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

If you listen to the II podcast yesterday, they've heard that Lenzy and Keyes both have looked great this camp so far
                                      The problem with that is Keys has gotten rave reviews every offseason since arriving.

"Dangerous with the ball in his hands"
                                      "Explosive"
                                      "Just makes plays"

I hope he can stay healthy and put it all together... but even then, Avery Davis has the slot position on lock, so there are only so many reps to go around.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

The problem with that is Keys has gotten rave reviews every offseason since arriving.

"Explosive"
                                        "Just makes plays"

I hope he can stay healthy and put it all together... but even then, Avery Davis has the slot position on lock, so there are only so many reps to go around.
                                        Correct, not the first time Lawrence has been here, but just stating incase the other poster didn't know.

The Lenzy bit is important because sounds like a full recovery, now to stay healthy.

Comment

"Explosive"
                                          "Just makes plays"

ah i dunno both BGI and II will constantly remind listeners that Keys just hasn't been able to improve his strength since hes been in SB..
                                          What did Davonte do?

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Just seeing the play action into Tyree screen pass was *chef's kiss*

Comment

• the OL got absolutely obliterated in those clips but it's not a concern right now. That's what spring/summer/fall is for. If we get half way through fall camp and the clips still look like this, we'll have a rough season.

I have faith the OL will gel once players know their positions and they get to develop some unity across the front.

The upside is the defense looks damn good and very fast.

And this will make Tommy a better coordinator because he need to have a lot of quick read plays available to get the ball out of the QBs hands

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post
                                                  the OL got absolutely obliterated in those clips but it's not a concern right now. That's what spring/summer/fall is for. If we get half way through fall camp and the clips still look like this, we'll have a rough season.

I have faith the OL will gel once players know their positions and they get to develop some unity across the front.

The upside is the defense looks damn good and very fast.

And this will make Tommy a better coordinator because he need to have a lot of quick read plays available to get the ball out of the QBs hands
                                                  Yeah. I refuse to press the "panic" button this early. Concerning, certainly, but it'll be all "up" from here. How far up is the question. Also, if our dline didn't dominate this inexperienced oline, not that would be panic lol

Comment

• Foskey just abusing the freshman LT... hopefully he's giving some pointers between the reps at least lol

Comment

• Excited to see what Rylie Mills and Foskey do this year, certainly look the part.
                                                      I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

Foskey just abusing the freshman LT... hopefully he's giving some pointers between the reps at least lol
                                                        That move he did that spun Fisher around was a thing of beauty. Tosh did faceplant him so thats something positive.
                                                        Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog!

Comment

• Noticed Jay Brunelle was on the sidelines, not dressed. Is he still recovering? I thought he'd be good to go for spring. Thought he was a good dark horse, or is it light horse? candidate to challenge for snaps.

Comment

Noticed Jay Brunelle was on the sidelines, not dressed. Is he still recovering? I thought he'd be good to go for spring. Thought he was a good dark horse, or is it light horse? candidate to challenge for snaps.
                                                            Banned for racism.

Kidding.
                                                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                The only fade I see here is him fading his way down the bench...

Comment

• https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14693...ighlights-48/1

Practice Highlights

Comment

• thought i saw two Splinder reps with the 1's there
                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Could impact current team and therefore practice, nothing confirmed though

Comment

• Keys, Lenzy, Johnson, Davis and Watts all featured prominently at receiver thus far. A tiny bit of Styles.

BK has never played more than 4 or 5 receivers consistently... In fact, the 2015-2016 seasons are the only years in which more than 4 WR's had 15+ catches. He came in coaching the spread, but has never actually opened it up like that. It helps when you're TE U, and have been blessed with multi-faceted RB's.

But something's gotta give at WR, especially with Austin getting back into the mix in the summer, and with Mayer/Williams/Tyree expected to suck up targets.

It will be interesting to see how the depth chart shakes out. And I'm hoping the Spring game is a good preview of the WR's, and not just smoke and mirrors. I understand the OL needs some run-blocking reps, but we at least know what we have in Williams/Tyree/C'Bo... what we REALLY need is a Spring game that allows Pyne, Buchner and Coan to each throw the ball 20 times lol.

Comment

Interesting to see how excited the players are for Cane Brerong’s TD at the end. I’ve heard a lot of positives about his effort and approach to the game thus far. I was admittedly a doubter because of his height, but I’d love to be proven wrong. Regardless of how his career plays out, Cane seems like exactly the type of guy you want in your locker room.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post

Interesting to see how excited the players are for Cane Brerong’s TD at the end. I’ve heard a lot of positives about his effort and approach to the game thus far. I was admittedly a doubter because of his height, but I’d love to be proven wrong. Regardless of how his career plays out, Cane seems like exactly the type of guy you want in your locker room.
                                                                              Mike Singer said it was on the final play of a two minute drill, likely celebrating "scoring" in time. But also probably happy for the young gun.

Comment

• IDC what anyone says about TB12s release point, he throws a really nice looking ball.

Already miles ahead of where Phil was "pushing" the ball out of his hand.
                                                                                Tyler has some great touch on his ball.

Comment

IDC what anyone says about TB12s release point, he throws a really nice looking ball.

Agreed. On practice #1 I commented on the QB’s and how good they looked throwing the ball. Nothing I’ve seen sense has made me nervous or led me to change my mind. I’d be pretty confident that the coaching staff will get any of the three ready to lead this team.
                                                                                  Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

IDC what anyone says about TB12s release point, he throws a really nice looking ball.

yep.

Comment

• I haven't seen any of the reporters draw this parallel but remember Buchner's junior season return after a year off from injury? His first 2ish games were meh if I remember correctly, then he caught fire for the remainder. I think he needs to be given time to process and knock the rust off/acclimate, then he's going to rapidly improve. He's too physically talented and cerebral to not at least make a push by mid season.

Comment

• TBs biggest mountain will be learning the playbook / game speed.
                                                                                        If he's as much of a brain as what people say he is, it's going to be interesting heading into the fall.
                                                                                        Not saying he's a day 1 starter, but I don't think he's just a red army signal caller this year either. Going to be somewhere in between, possible #2 qb?? We shall see.

Comment

Thanks. I want to hear that about others, especially the younger guys. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Keyes or Lenzy finally break out. I do have a good gut feeling about WR this year though.

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                          Foskey just abusing the freshman LT... hopefully he's giving some pointers between the reps at least lol
                                                                                          I actually love the fact we have a guy like Foskey testing these guys. "Growth" opportunity lol.

Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                          thought i saw two Splinder reps with the 1's there
                                                                                          I read some early reports saying he was really "noticeable", and might make noise. At this point, I think he ends up at #2 LG (which is where ISD lists him right now), which is still more than I thought coming into this season. Nice to see a young man (we have a few) pushing his way up the depth chart.

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                          Keys, Lenzy, Johnson, Davis and Watts all featured prominently at receiver thus far. A tiny bit of Styles.

BK has never played more than 4 or 5 receivers consistently... In fact, the 2015-2016 seasons are the only years in which more than 4 WR's had 15+ catches. He came in coaching the spread, but has never actually opened it up like that. It helps when you're TE U, and have been blessed with multi-faceted RB's.

But something's gotta give at WR, especially with Austin getting back into the mix in the summer, and with Mayer/Williams/Tyree expected to suck up targets.

It will be interesting to see how the depth chart shakes out. And I'm hoping the Spring game is a good preview of the WR's, and not just smoke and mirrors. I understand the OL needs some run-blocking reps, but we at least know what we have in Williams/Tyree/C'Bo... what we REALLY need is a Spring game that allows Pyne, Buchner and Coan to each throw the ball 20 times lol.
                                                                                          I don't mind when TE and RB eat up some targets, especially when it's Tyree and Mayer. But I do want to see our WRs be more dynamic, and would love to see things a bit more open/spread.

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

As long as we don't see shotputs, or dirt bounces, I'm good with being patient or a year. I've seen nothing really that worries me at this point.

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                                                          TBs biggest mountain will be learning the playbook / game speed.
                                                                                          If he's as much of a brain as what people say he is, it's going to be interesting heading into the fall.
                                                                                          Not saying he's a day 1 starter, but I don't think he's just a red army signal caller this year either. Going to be somewhere in between, possible #2 qb?? We shall see.
                                                                                          Agreed. Not even saying he'll be #2, but I think he'll be competitive with #2, or at least flash what you would expect for a guy learning the O. Once he gets the book elements, and things slow down, we'll start to see the real TB.

Comment

• In order to have a successful season, receivers need to moderately improve, but not dominate. It doesn’t strike me as the season to explode in this area with the personnel we have in the corps (injury laden and inexperienced). We didn’t have a deep threat last season, but we had some consistency in catching the ball. If we can find two guys with above average potential to emerge, we will open up our real threats in the run game and tight ends. Mayer is poised to rack up some yards, but replacing Tremble will be difficult, yet vital. Who is going to be that guy? If we can find someone with half his blocking ability and better hands, we should be in decent shape. Our running corps is where our stars align (particularly Tyree), because it’s a deep squad. Our season depends heavily on OL to keep everything together. Our QBs won’t wow (per usual), but their consistency is key to an 11-1 / 10-2 season, so our inexperienced OL corps is the most dire position group along with a second strong tight end. They won’t have Book’s escapability this year, because TB will not have his shine unless something dire happens with the more experienced guys.

Comment

• I feel like Keys "looks great" every offseason and then some point in the first few weeks he falls out of favor and we barely see him again the rest of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ND88 View Post
                                                                                                In order to have a successful season, receivers need to moderately improve, but not dominate. It doesn’t strike me as the season to explode in this area with the personnel we have in the corps (injury laden and inexperienced). We didn’t have a deep threat last season, but we had some consistency in catching the ball. If we can find two guys with above average potential to emerge, we will open up our real threats in the run game and tight ends. Mayer is poised to rack up some yards, but replacing Tremble will be difficult, yet vital. Who is going to be that guy? If we can find someone with half his blocking ability and better hands, we should be in decent shape. Our running corps is where our stars align (particularly Tyree), because it’s a deep squad. Our season depends heavily on OL to keep everything together. Our QBs won’t wow (per usual), but their consistency is key to an 11-1 / 10-2 season, so our inexperienced OL corps is the most dire position group along with a second strong tight end. They won’t have Book’s escapability this year, because TB will not have his shine unless something dire happens with the more experienced guys.
                                                                                                I agree WR won't need to dominate for the team to be successful, but I do see this as a year we could see it take a big step forward. While we lose Book's wheels, we probably 1) have a better arm now, and 2) because we lack Book's wheels, may need to look deeper. The overall talent available at WR this year is pretty good if it can stay healthy. Assuming it does, I predict more than a moderate improvement.

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                                I feel like Keys "looks great" every offseason and then some point in the first few weeks he falls out of favor and we barely see him again the rest of the year.
                                                                                                Feels like WR is simply more susceptible to the bolded just about every year.

Comment

• Everything for this season rests on the OL. If they can't protect the QB and open lanes, what can you do besides watch a rushed QB trying to make a play. But I'm still not worried until middle of fall camp. That's when we should see a tug of war between OL/DL.

Tommy can get creative to help slow down an over-aggressive defense but as always, a top OL leads to a top O and usually a top team.

The OL is the lynchpin of everything.

Comment

• @ Blake Fisher, @ Lo Styles, @ Phillip Riley

Comment

• Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X