Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis is definitely CB1

Comment

• If the O-line is rebuilding, WRs are suspect, and Coan and Pyne look...average...why not role with the more dynamic freshman in what appears to be a transition year? What's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow this year? I'd be surprised if we were a serious playoff contender. Maybe the defense will be good enough to compensate. But we aren't beating Bama, Clemson, or Ohio St with Coan or Pyne throwing to Keyes and Davis. Buchner to Austin, JJ, and Styles sounds much better. We may be longing for Ian Book to come back by the middle of the season. Idk, at some point we have to find a QB and WR combo to take us over the top. Hate to say it but in a weird way I'm hoping Coan and Pyne flame out early so we can bring on the future more quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post
        If the O-line is rebuilding, WRs are suspect, and Coan and Pyne look...average...why not role with the more dynamic freshman in what appears to be a transition year? What's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow this year? I'd be surprised if we were a serious playoff contender. Maybe the defense will be good enough to compensate. But we aren't beating Bama, Clemson, or Ohio St with Coan or Pyne throwing to Keyes and Davis. Buchner to Austin, JJ, and Styles sounds much better. We may be longing for Ian Book to come back by the middle of the season. Idk, at some point we have to find a QB and WR combo to take us over the top. Hate to say it but in a weird way I'm hoping Coan and Pyne flame out early so we can bring on the future more quickly.
        The implied truth here that is not a guarantee is the younger higher rated will benefit from what you’re describing. What if Buchner gets pounded into the ground every week and gets mentally beaten down? What if Styles becomes frustrated because Buchner struggles? What if the Junior class says I’m out and leaves us a hole of upperclassmen in 2022 because they don’t like how this year was handled?

Personally I think a non-Playoff team could be good for the future. It ain’t so bad to leave the year with a Bowl win. Who wouldn’t love to see a Cotton Bowl win to end the year for example? That’s a worthy pot of gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

The implied truth here that is not a guarantee is the younger higher rated will benefit from what you’re describing. What if Buchner gets pounded into the ground every week and gets mentally beaten down? What if Styles becomes frustrated because Buchner struggles? What if the Junior class says I’m out and leaves us a hole of upperclassmen in 2022 because they don’t like how this year was handled?

Personally I think a non-Playoff team could be good for the future. It ain’t so bad to leave the year with a Bowl win. Who wouldn’t love to see a Cotton Bowl win to end the year for example? That’s a worthy pot of gold.
          I understand that risk. I think if a guy's got it he's got it. Aaron Rodgers was always going to be great and Alex Smith was always going to be average. Imo trial by fire vs sit and learn was just coincidental.

Put the best players on the field. And maybe Keyes and Davis are the best options at receiver currently. But dang it, I'm ready to see someone, anyone emerge from that young group of receivers.

I don't disagree with your premise and I'd love a big bowl win for Kelly. I've been looking at 2022 and 2023 for a couple years now. And I think the roster is shaping up to have a serious chance at a NC if we actually have a dude at QB.

Comment

I understand that risk. I think if a guy's got it he's got it. Aaron Rodgers was always going to be great and Alex Smith was always going to be average. Imo trial by fire vs sit and learn was just coincidental.

Put the best players on the field. And maybe Keyes and Davis are the best options at receiver currently. But dang it, I'm ready to see someone, anyone emerge from that young group of receivers.

I don't disagree with your premise and I'd love a big bowl win for Kelly. I've been looking at 2022 and 2023 for a couple years now. And I think the roster is shaping up to have a serious chance at a NC if we actually have a dude at QB.
            I hope Coach is going to be making sure at the very least he gets meaningful reps. We aren't winning a Natty this year, but if he isn't ready, its not fair to the seniors to roll with a kid who isn't helping the team win.

But we do gotta make sure he's ready for 2022 because...yeah...I'm really sick of having a great team that just needs an elite quarterback. We need him to be ready.
            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

If the O-line is rebuilding, WRs are suspect, and Coan and Pyne look...average...why not role with the more dynamic freshman in what appears to be a transition year? What's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow this year? I'd be surprised if we were a serious playoff contender. Maybe the defense will be good enough to compensate. But we aren't beating Bama, Clemson, or Ohio St with Coan or Pyne throwing to Keyes and Davis. Buchner to Austin, JJ, and Styles sounds much better. We may be longing for Ian Book to come back by the middle of the season. Idk, at some point we have to find a QB and WR combo to take us over the top. Hate to say it but in a weird way I'm hoping Coan and Pyne flame out early so we can bring on the future more quickly.

Its got merit but if we concede the season why wouldnt a guy like Kyle Hamilton just go "oh well I am transfer to a team that plans to win this season".
              Also the big 3 - Bama, Clemson, Ohio State have brand new QBs as well. What if the stars align and they are each not very good (unlikely I know) and it turns out several schools we feel we could beat made the play offs such as Georgia, Oklahoma, Penn State.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

Its got merit but if we concede the season why wouldnt a guy like Kyle Hamilton just go "oh well I am transfer to a team that plans to win this season".
                Also the big 3 - Bama, Clemson, Ohio State have brand new QBs as well. What if the stars align and they are each not very good (unlikely I know) and it turns out several schools we feel we could beat made the play offs such as Georgia, Oklahoma, Penn State.
                Yeah you gotta play to win always when you are ND's caliber...unless you start 1-3 and the season is tanked lol
                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• We might not be winning a natty but I think this team is even better than I was expecting.

I think the DB’s are in a much better place than what I was expecting. And the rest of the defense is loaded. I think there is enough good on the OL that it’ll get figured out by the end of Fall Camp. And, the rest of the offense is loaded. If I’m Kelly and I look at an offense that has Austin, Keys, Davis, Mayer, Kyren, and Tyree as it’s top options. All of that can win a lot of games. And, if you’re Kelly, I think you have to take that and go with Coan.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

I hope Coach is going to be making sure at the very least he gets meaningful reps. We aren't winning a Natty this year, but if he isn't ready, its not fair to the seniors to roll with a kid who isn't helping the team win.

But we do gotta make sure he's ready for 2022 because...yeah...I'm really sick of having a great team that just needs an elite quarterback. We need him to be ready.
                    I'd be happy to burn his red shirt this year in favour of plenty of experience. No way is he staying at ND for 5 years. He will bounce to the league or portal one way or the other.

Comment

• Didn't watch the game and am caught up on everyone's opinions. Who was the biggest surprise and who was the biggest disappointment (Baker?)?

Comment

It appears we have a really good defense, it also appears the WRs aren't suspect. The OL is the big question. We have enough offensive fire power to put up a lot of points. Lenzy, Keys, Austin, Davis, Styles, possibly JJ, Mayer, Williams, Tyree and possibly 2nd TE. There are a lot of mismatches in the various lineups that can be made.

I think Coan will probably throw a few etra INTs but I also think he sees the field and has far better anticipation than Book. Book was great at improvising but I think Coan gives us an entirely different QB.

Comment

• The WR's are almost certain to be better, or at least to be more consistent options than the feast-or-famine approach we got from Skowronek and McKinley last season, simply based on Coan being willing to throw to Mayer down the seam, and based on the fact that the run game isn't going to be hitting early on (or maybe at all) like last year. It's a 'Volume + Opportunity' thing.

Hitting Mayer on outs, curls, and drags was great for Book and presented easy yards to take.

But running Mayer down the seam to either grab a huge chunk play, or else open up something underneath for a speedster like Keys or an athlete like Davis, is going to create some opportunities that we haven't seen recently.

Hopefully Rees is ready to step it up a notch as a play caller.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                            The WR's are almost certain to be better, or at least to be more consistent options than the feast-or-famine approach we got from Skowronek and McKinley last season, simply based on Coan being willing to throw to Mayer down the seam, and based on the fact that the run game isn't going to be hitting early on (or maybe at all) like last year. It's a 'Volume + Opportunity' thing.

Hitting Mayer on outs, curls, and drags was great for Book and presented easy yards to take.

But running Mayer down the seam to either grab a huge chunk play, or else open up something underneath for a speedster like Keys or an athlete like Davis, is going to create some opportunities that we haven't seen recently.

Hopefully Rees is ready to step it up a notch as a play caller.
                            Yeah I am pretty confident that more of the field will be available to play with. Nothing against Book, but he had some pretty severe limitations on what he was generally willing to do.

should be plenty of opportunities for the young guys to get in and hopefully make some plays. Really really important to have this team prepared for the following year or two.
                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• If you wanted any glimmer of Spring accomplishment, I’d say a OT, WR, and 2 DBs getting these awards is what you were hoping for

Baker, Lewis, Styles and Henderson

Comment

• I'm buying all of that Henderson hype. I might be early but I wanna get on this one before he's an NFL CB.

Comment

If you wanted any glimmer of Spring accomplishment, I’d say a OT, WR, and 2 DBs getting these awards is what you were hoping for

Baker, Lewis, Styles and Henderson
                                  I'm happy to see a true freshman amongst that group. That sets us up well for the fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                    I'm buying all of that Henderson hype. I might be early but I wanna get on this one before he's an NFL CB.
                                    That recruitment came out of nowhere but all of a sudden we had a 6'2" DB with 10.6 speed, I was always hoping he'd be a diamond in the rough. He had some plays from the spring practice clips that looked pretty good too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post

That recruitment came out of nowhere but all of a sudden we had a 6'2" DB with 10.6 speed, I was always hoping he'd be a diamond in the rough. He had some plays from the spring practice clips that looked pretty good too.
                                      They have him officially listed at 6'1 189 but that's still dang good for a CB with that type of speed. I'm sure he still has a ways to go but he's trending up. And, it's just nice to see when it comes to guys that most thought (and rightfully so) were all projection. That projection is starting to become a reality.

Comment

• Now I don’t the result of the pass but I can’t help but enjoy seeing Coan step up in the pocket here as well. Book could easily scramble here probably pick up a decent chunk too but Coan you’re gonna, hopefully see that extra second to look downfield

Comment

Now I don’t the result of the pass but I can’t help but enjoy seeing Coan step up in the pocket here as well. Book could easily scramble here probably pick up a decent chunk too but Coan you’re gonna, hopefully see that extra second to look downfield
                                          I agree with you.

This kinda stuff really upsets me that I had to miss the Blue-Gold game. Really wish there was a good highlight I could watch at least, but nah.

Edit: Also, Cross looks good rushing the passer here I think.
                                          Last edited by BeauBenken; 05-05-2021, 08:52 PM.
                                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

I agree with you.

This kinda stuff really upsets me that I had to miss the Blue-Gold game. Really wish there was a good highlight I could watch at least, but nah.
                                            Are you looking to watch the whole game? It's available in the Peacock app for sure and I think on the new ND streaming service too.

Comment

• Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post

Are you looking to watch the whole game? It's available in the Peacock app for sure and I think on the new ND streaming service too.
                                              Pause. Really? Well now I found my plans for tomorrow.
                                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• No trial needed. Sign in with an email and that’s it. I think I saw a chance to do 7 day trials of the upgraded plans but aren’t needed to watch the replay

Comment

• Just watched the game again on the peacock app and that app is garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
                                                    Just watched the game again on the peacock app and that app is garbage.
                                                    Just curious, what kind of device were you using? I watched the game as it aired on a Roku and didn't have any issues with it. I didn't really navigate around too much in it other than finding the game initially.

Comment

Just curious, what kind of device were you using? I watched the game as it aired on a Roku and didn't have any issues with it. I didn't really navigate around too much in it other than finding the game initially.
                                                      The app is garbage. I watched it on a CCwGTV and the quality was OK (some buffering here and there which I do NOT experience with other apps), but my biggest issue is why TF can't I pause? Eff that!

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

The app is garbage. I watched it on a CCwGTV and the quality was OK (some buffering here and there which I do NOT experience with other apps), but my biggest issue is why TF can't I pause? Eff that!
                                                        Damn, I wonder if its just that version of the app. I just downloaded it on my phone and was able to pause and skip forward and backward and I remember pausing and rewinding a few times during the game.

Comment

Damn, I wonder if its just that version of the app. I just downloaded it on my phone and was able to pause and skip forward and backward and I remember pausing and rewinding a few times during the game.
                                                          It's a replay now, I was watching it live. I don't wanna lo5ve in a world that I can't pause live tv anymore!

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post

everybody worried about the DBs....they may end up being a strength of the D. Nice having corners 6’1 and 6’2 205 Cam Hart
                                                            Hamilton at 6’4 gives ND impressive length in DB land

Comment

• Originally posted by Edge View Post

everybody worried about the DBs....they may end up being a strength of the D. Nice having corners 6’1 and 6’2 205 Cam Hart
                                                              Hamilton at 6’4 gives ND impressive length in DB land
                                                              I don't know if it will be considered a strength this season as LB's and DL should be really good. But, it probably will eventually. To that point, 3 of our top 4 CB's have 3+ years of eligibility with some talented guys coming in behind them with Barnes and Riley. And that's not including Tucker and JoJo who are not yet on campus. Arrow up for sure, exciting times. Let's see them do it on Saturdays now.

Comment

• Just watched the game for the first time. Takeaways:
                                                                • Kiser is sound at everything
                                                                • Liufau is a wild man
                                                                • Botelho is a walking felony
                                                                • Lo Styles is going to play quite a bit for us
                                                                • Kyren and Tyree are an incredible duo
                                                                • DL is nasty
                                                                • LBs are deeeeep
                                                                • secondary played well
                                                                • Coan > Buchner > Pyne
                                                                • We really need Austin to play a full, healthy season. This will allow the other WRs to shine
                                                                • TEs look poised to continue the tradition

Comment

• [DRISKELL] Midweek Musings: Predicting All-American Breakouts for Notre Dame
                                                                  Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 05-20-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Always note Driskell when posting his links. I don't want to be accidentally giving him clicks when I do not intend on reading anything he writes. Only half kidding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                      Always note Driskell when posting his links. I don't want to be accidentally giving him clicks when I do not intend on reading anything he writes. Only half kidding.
                                                                      I thought the same thing as soon as the article loaded. :)

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                      Working...
                                                                      X