2021 Spring Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
    TB not looking perfect, but looking A LOT better than the last heir apparent in the BG Game, PJ...
    The format of the game is what it is because 2019 screwed PJ

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

The format of the game is what it is because 2019 screwed PJ
      PJ screwed PJ

Comment

• And now Nana strip sacked TB... Can't have too. Much of a good thing. Lol

Comment

PJ screwed PJ
          Wasn’t trying to litigate PJ’s career just stating fact, BK mixed up the format and teams in part due to the 2019 spring game 12 sacks doesn’t help anyone.

Related, loved the format of today, better than most spring games I’ve turned on last couple weeks. Let the kids play (mostly)

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
            And now Nana strip sacked TB... Can't have too. Much of a good thing. Lol
            Happy to see it out of Nana. This could be a do or die season for him if he ever wants to be a primary contributor.

Comment

Wasn’t trying to litigate PJ’s career just stating fact, BK mixed up the format and teams in part due to the 2019 spring game 12 sacks doesn’t help anyone.

Related, loved the format of today, better than most spring games I’ve turned on last couple weeks. Let the kids play (mostly)
              Enjoying the format as well!

Comment

• Tosh Baker has been beat around the edge a couple of times.

Comment

• I’d have to watch again for OL review and D review but as you can tell from my previous posts I’d say Keys won today. He needed to make a noticeable impact after the spring reviews and did.

Lenzy looks like a guy that needs to see the field but just don’t know about a every down WR. Wilkins is what he is.

Coan is my starter. The arm strength the expanded playbook was obvious

Comment

• How did the freshman on the OL look?

Comment

Coan without Austin, Kyren establishing the run and Mayer is like asking him to play with his hand behind his back
                      And without Lugg, Patterson, and half the oline that was on the opposite team. And no Lawrence to throw to.

Comment

• Now can we panic about JJ?

Comment

Now can we panic about JJ?
                          IE already started doing that last year.

Comment

• Arrows up.

Keys certainly proving he belongs on the field.

Botelho is going to be really good. They need to play him and Foskey together.

DB’s

Coan as starter.

Buchner as the possible future.

TE’s. Seems like a solid group behind Mayer that will be taking over after he leaves in ‘22.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                              Arrows up.

Keys certainly proving he belongs on the field.

Botelho is going to be really good. They need to play him and Foskey together.

DB’s

Coan as starter.

Buchner as the possible future.

TE’s. Seems like a solid group behind Mayer that will be taking over after he leaves in ‘22.
                              I feel like Buchner proved he’s the future today. Over a year removed from competitive play, and scores on 2 drives? That’s crazy. Kid will be electric in a year or 2.

Comment

• Any idea if the game is available to watch in full? Was busy earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvilleIrish View Post
                                  Any idea if the game is available to watch in full? Was busy earlier.
                                  Yep, it does appear the replay is available on the Peacock app.

Comment

• Didn't watch but happy to hear many good things
                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• I say TBs chances of starting some time this season improved.

Comment

• Serious question: was JJ or Watts targeted at all in the game? I expected them to get a lot of opportunities.

Sounds like our defense should be playoff caliber and the offense should at least be top-25?

Can people put out there favorite surprises/players? I've been busy all day so haven't had a chance to watch.

Comment

• JJ got a red zone target fairly early on but good coverage and poor throw. He also had a really nice block on an early run. other than that can’t recall much.

Favorite surprises, for me, would be (in no certain order)
                                          - Buchner
                                          - Hart
                                          - Henderson
                                          - Mitchell Evans

Keys and Botelho really stood out to me but those are less of a surprise because I’ve been expecting them to be players this coming season. But, I guess I didn’t realize how disruptive Botelho might truly be. He’s incredibly quick off the edge.

Comment

• I don’t know how bold of a prediction it is but provided he gets the necessary snaps, Botelho leads us in QB hurries this year. The interior DL is going to be the beneficiary of QB’s having to step up in the pocket as Botelho toasts OT’s off the edge.

Comment

• Random note, Devin Aupiu was lined up as a LB. Not ROLB but a traditional off ball LB. He had been spotted playing there during practices so unsure if that is a permanent move or just to get him some reps while he grows.

Comment

• Did anyone see Osita in as a DE at all with announcement of him taking reps closer to the line?

Comment

• Originally posted by SBirishlawyer View Post
                                                  Did anyone see Osita in as a DE at all with announcement of him taking reps closer to the line?
                                                  Yea, he played for both teams as a Vyper. It’s going to be tough for him to get PT behind Botelho and Foskey. And those guys will be here for another 2 years.

Comment

• I am hoping he stays motivated because he is a necessary piece on special teams and could be useful as an upperclassman back up if Aupui and Scweitzer aren’t physically ready to hold up.

Comment

• Thought Coan solidified qb1 ...tb looked nice, quick release and speed..... Tyree Upped his game-he really shined.... Keys seemed to be a focal point along with lenzy which will be needed... Wilkins always seems to disappoint me.... Nice to see the defense playing good and fast..... The German getting in the backfield today, litchfield laying lumber and a Shane simon sighting...,
                                                      EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• Is everybody healthy coming out of the spring game?
                                                        Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

• I haven’t read of any injuries from the game.

Comment

• B&G Observations (Offense)

QBs

1. Jack Coan is able to stand and deliver in the pocket in a way that Ian Book wasn’t. I’m hoping that opens up the middle of the field to our offense in a way it hasn’t been in past years.

2. Drew Pyne throws some of the most beautiful balls you’ll ever see, but his physical limitations show up every 3 to 4 throws. Those will result in some devastating picks (see Tommy Rees 2013 OU game) if he’s ever the starter.

3. Tyler Buchner is a high school senior who last saw game action in 2019 against weak competition. He had every reason to lay an egg in this game. He didn’t. I’m ecstatic that for once we don’t have to rationalize why our highly touted young QB looked terrible in the spring game.

RBs

1. Chris Tyree has unlocked another gear. I don’t know the last time Notre Dame has had an athlete of his caliber at RB. I may not have been alive.

2. C’Bo Flemister is great third option, but I do wonder if we’d be better served giving his touches to Logan Diggs or Austin Estime.

3. Glad we gave Kyren Williams a light load. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s still sore from his Johnny Knoxville-esque performance in the first Clemson game.

WRs

1. Avery Davis, Lawrence Keys, and Braden Lenzy all looked much improved. Keys in particular plays with a level of speed and fluidity that could make him a breakout player this fall.

2. We don’t have a WR that we can bank on winning a 1-on-1 ball on 3rd and long like Claypool, Boykin, and dare I say McKinley. If Kevin Austin doesn’t become that then we’re going to pay a price at some point.

3. Don’t love the disappearing act from the Sophomore WRs. Need to see some Delvelopment (TM) although I fear transfers may be more likely.

​​​​​​​TEs

1. George Takacs would be getting hyped as a big time weapon on 115 other college teams. Instead he’s played in the shadow of a 2nd, 3rd, and soon to be 1st round TE. I think he’s going to make some teams notice him this fall.

2. Mitchell Evans is like finding a $20 bill in an old winter coat. You may not need the money, but damn if it doesn’t make you feel good inside.

3. Why is Michael Mayer on the bench? If he’s not playing, he should be getting fed grapes on a chaise lounge by St. Mary’s finest. Protect the asset, BK.

​​​​​​​OL

1. Despite the lack of continuity, I was pleasantly surprised to see the OL open a few holes today. That’s no small feat against this DL.

2. The term “dancing bear” doesn’t do Blake Fisher justice. He’s a mobile home. I can’t believe we have this guy for 3 years.

3. Tosh Baker needs to make a leap in pass blocking. The lack of continuity on the OL doesn’t excuse getting beat 1 on 1 on passing downs.

Comment

I haven’t read of any injuries from the game.
                                                              Kelly said Walters had a small hip bang up, but nothing bad.

Comment

• Quick shout out to Corey Robinson Btw. For a sports commentating newcomer, he did a freaking great job. I know he's a genius, charismatic, saw his dad deal with media etc and I shouldn't be surprised by this, but man did he do a great job.
                                                                Love his knowledge, insight, and charisma.

Comment

• Yea, if there were some low lights, Baker’s pass pro would be one.

Comment

Yea, if there were some low lights, Baker’s pass pro would be one.
                                                                    I'm just so confused by this. Dude has all the athletic skills necessary and even had a basketball background. We gotta get him figured out and developed. Way too much potential to be left untapped
                                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Something that crossed my mind too. Anyone think we could possibly lose C Bo to the portal? Not sure where he's at in his degree but I'm wondering if he'll be one to leave for somewhere to get more carries and get to the top of the totem pole
                                                                      Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• 1. Coan should clearly be the starter.
                                                                        2. Buchner has all the potential we hoped he had. It’s hard not to watch that game and think about what he can do with this roster in ‘22.
                                                                        3. I think the OL could be OK once they get Patterson back. I’m more optimistic about them than I was previously... they will make some soul crushing mistakes because of inexperience but should be “good enough” against most teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                                          Something that crossed my mind too. Anyone think we could possibly lose C Bo to the portal? Not sure where he's at in his degree but I'm wondering if he'll be one to leave for somewhere to get more carries and get to the top of the totem pole
                                                                          Anything is possible but he doesn't seem like the type to transfer out early. He could certainly be a starter at middle tier p5 program but maybe one more, graduate and go start w/degree in hand? Probably depends on how the freshman look when they get here. As long as he doesn't get passed on the depth chart, I'd expect him to stick around.

But again, this new immediate eligibility rule could change things quickly for some guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post

I'm just so confused by this. Dude has all the athletic skills necessary and even had a basketball background. We gotta get him figured out and developed. Way too much potential to be left untapped
                                                                            He’s only a RS FR. Blake Fisher has everyone’s expectations calibrated wrong. If Baker loses the job but wins one next year you’re likely talking about a 2 year starter that will be contemplating the draft versus returning for a 3rd round, exactly what you’d expect.

Comment

• I really feel like Baker will be fine in the fall as long as they commit to him and give him enough reps. Spindler and Fisher will be fine in the long run. Correll will be fine. Patterson will be great. So worst case scenario if one of your tackles can't hold up you kick out Patterson to tackle and play Lugg next to him the the experience. I'm not as pessimistic as I was on the OL, although they will certainly give up some big negative plays because of youth and inexperience.

Comment

• I'm not worried about Baker long term but I will say I'm slightly disappointed he's not further along. It'd be completely reasonable if he needs to take the McGlinchey route and start as a Junior and play for 3 years after that. And, I think we'll all be happy if that is the ultimate result and I don't think this means that can't still happen. But, I am slightly disappointed because I thought he was further along than McGlinchey (as a HS prospect and collegiate Freshman) and he'd be ready by now. Who knows, maybe he will be by the end of Fall Camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                  I really feel like Baker will be fine in the fall as long as they commit to him and give him enough reps. Spindler and Fisher will be fine in the long run. Correll will be fine. Patterson will be great. So worst case scenario if one of your tackles can't hold up you kick out Patterson to tackle and play Lugg next to him the the experience. I'm not as pessimistic as I was on the OL, although they will certainly give up some big negative plays because of youth and inexperience.
                                                                                  I'm with you thinking Tosh will be fine but I can't say my sky high confidence in him hasn't been altered for this year.

Comment

I'm not worried about Baker long term but I will say I'm slightly disappointed he's not further along. It'd be completely reasonable if he needs to take the McGlinchey route and start as a Junior and play for 3 years after that. And, I think we'll all be happy if that is the ultimate result and I don't think this means that can't still happen. But, I am slightly disappointed because I thought he was further along than McGlinchey (as a HS prospect and collegiate Freshman) and he'd be ready by now. Who knows, maybe he will be by the end of Fall Camp.
                                                                                    Glad you wrote this. For me, this goes back to him choosing to play basketball rather than EEing. He got down to 270 during hoops season and then got hurt on top of it. When he did show up in South Bend he was back up to 292 and ballooned to 315 with training table, weights but he was still coming fresh off that knee injury. Balis got him back down into the low 290 again and started to build him back up to the 310 mark he's at right now. A lot of yo-yo body building because he wasn't there 6 months earlier uninjured.

A lot of people give me a hard time about my hatred of Senior basketball seasons for commits. This is 100% why I hate it. It set him back, pure and simple. Once you commit, your HS athletic career should end when you walk off the football field for the last time. If you go to a public HS or any HS that allows early graduation, you should be in South Bend in Jan, not squeezing out 6 more months of childhood endeavors.

Comment

• Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post
                                                                                      B&G Observations (Offense)

WRs

Don’t love the disappearing act from the Sophomore WRs. Need to see some Delvelopment (TM) although I fear transfers may be more likely.
                                                                                      Sadly, I agree. Who do you think is a transfer candidate?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

Glad you wrote this. For me, this goes back to him choosing to play basketball rather than EEing. He got down to 270 during hoops season and then got hurt on top of it. When he did show up in South Bend he was back up to 292 and ballooned to 315 with training table, weights but he was still coming fresh off that knee injury. Balis got him back down into the low 290 again and started to build him back up to the 310 mark he's at right now. A lot of yo-yo body building because he wasn't there 6 months earlier uninjured.

A lot of people give me a hard time about my hatred of Senior basketball seasons for commits. This is 100% why I hate it. It set him back, pure and simple. Once you commit, your HS athletic career should end when you walk off the football field for the last time. If you go to a public HS or any HS that allows early graduation, you should be in South Bend in Jan, not squeezing out 6 more months of childhood endeavors.

I struggle with it. I get the whole "EE if possible" thing. But if that's not an option, should you still not play sports?

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Watched replay. Baker stood out, not in a good way. I thought Fisher looked better than Baker. Still can't say for sure where we put Patterson in the fall.

Who plays guard is not clear. They used Carroll, Kristoflec, Spindler (LG) and Dirksen there Saturday. Gibbons played center all the way. So still looking like it could be the two Frosh together on the left side.

Comment

• B&G Observations (Defense)

DL

1. It wasn’t that long ago that Brandon Tiassum, Micah Dew-Treadway, and Jacob Matuska were in the 2-deep at DL. With all due respect to Micah and Jacob, the talent upgrade on our second and third lines is remarkable. We’re going to be able to roll out hockey lines of fresh, competent D-Linemen against our opponents late in games this year.

2. We need to line up Kurt “the Koolaid Man” Hinish at nose tackle a few times at the start of each game and just let him whale on the opposing center.

3. I don’t know who Jordan Botelho reminds me of more: Bobby Boucher or Jon Favreau’s character in the Replacements. Either way, I think there’s a non-zero percent chance his season ends with a flying kick to Sam Howell’s solar plexus a full 8 seconds after the whistle.

4. What if I told you the D lineman with the highest ceiling on the team didn’t even play Saturday? That might be hyperbole, but it also might not be. Jacob Lacey is going to be a stud in his own right if he can get healthy.

5. Someone needs to spray some Sark repellant around the Gug because Texas is going to come sniffing around Nana if we’re not careful. He’s got physical traits you can’t teach, we just need to keep him in the fold long enough for some PT to open up.

LBs

1. I was skeptical of BK’s decision to name Shayne Simon a captain for the spring game. I thought it was just a clever way to keep him from transferring before fall. Color me skeptical no more. He looks rocked up and played with a ton of confidence.

2. Marist Liafau reminds me of the “Me Want Honeycomb” guy. As soon as the ball is snapped, all you can see is a ball of hair smashing into the offensive line. He’s about as twitchy as it gets and will be fun to watch this year.

3. Jack Kiser is opening up a new delivery service. For every textbook open field tackle that he makes, he’ll send a hot pot of crow to Notre Dame fans that thought he wasn’t a “take.” I got mine in the mail last night. Tastes good.

CBs

1. ND fans need to collectively wipe our memories MIB style of Tariq Bracy’s last 6 games. He caught covid. It hurt his performance. End of story. The spring game showed he’s still capable of being a quality CB.

2. Cam Hart and Ramon Henderson look long, strong, and fast. I haven’t been this excited about a CB duo since Shane Walton and Vontez Duff were dragging a tennis coach to a 10 win season.

3. At the beginning of spring, I thought our opening day starters were going to be Clarence Lewis and a true freshman like Chance Tucker or Philip Riley. Now it looks like Lewis might be our 4th best corner and our young CBs will have time to develop. That’s an incredible turnaround from where things stood a few weeks ago.

Safeties

1. DJ Brown provides nice depth, but he’s not a starting safety on a championship contender. We need someone else to step up (looking at you HG) to take the back end of our defense to the next level.

2. I don’t want to presume to know more than the coaches, but it seems like if you put KJ Wallace in the game, he’s going to make plays. I hope he gets more opportunities this year.

3. Justin Walters keeps making plays. I don’t know if his size will prevent him from becoming a big time contributor down the line, but it doesn’t seem to have limited him thus far.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

I struggle with it. I get the whole "EE if possible" thing. But if that's not an option, should you still not play sports?
                                                                                              Great question.

If you and I were the Ade twins and SPP didn't allow us to grad early... would we hang out with our boys, jack around in the city, chase skirts, sneak a case of ____ into prom and spike the punch and train as hard as we could in non-ND, sub standard programs... then join the Irish in June

OR

Would we "transfer" to the local public school for a week and graduate at Christmas (the only thing Tate Martell ever did right) and get on campus in January, work out with Balis 2x day, eat like Gods and fill our black books with a 100 examples of Michiana's finest offerings?

I've already voted.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

Great question.

If you and I were the Ade twins and SPP didn't allow us to grad early... would we hang out with our boys, jack around in the city, chase skirts, sneak a case of ____ into prom and spike the punch and train as hard as we could in non-ND, sub standard programs... then join the Irish in June

OR

Would we "transfer" to the local public school for a week and graduate at Christmas (the only thing Tate Martell ever did right) and get on campus in January, work out with Balis 2x day, eat like Gods and fill our black books with a 100 examples of Michiana's finest offerings?

I've already voted.
                                                                                                Lolol this is lit.

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

B&G Observations (Defense)

DL

Someone needs to spray some Sark repellant around the Gug because Texas is going to come sniffing around Nana if we’re not careful. He’s got physical traits you can’t teach, we just need to keep him in the fold long enough for some PT to open up.
                                                                                                  Wasn't Nana out with an injury last year? Regardless Nana has been patience and waited for his time. If Nana wanted to transfer out I think he would go home to Texas; plus they have one of our defense coaches from last year. Spray some of that Sark repellant around Nana....

Comment

3. At the beginning of spring, I thought our opening day starters were going to be Clarence Lewis and a true freshman like Chance Tucker or Philip Riley. Now it looks like Lewis might be our 4th best corner and our young CBs will have time to develop. That’s an incredible turnaround from where things stood a few weeks ago.
                                                                                                    ? Thought Lewis has been praised all spring. He's gotta be at worst no. 2 behind Hart.

Comment

• Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post

? Thought Lewis has been praised all spring. He's gotta be at worst no. 2 behind Hart.
                                                                                                      I haven’t heard much about Clarence this spring good or bad, but regardless this wasn’t intended as a dig. It was more of a comment on the ascendance of Hart/Henderson, as well as Bracy’s return to form.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X