Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'20 MO WR Jordan Johnson (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stpeteirish
    replied
    UCF? I guess he didn't pick ND for the usual reasons (academics, prestige, degree, beautiful campus) because they have none of that. Full disclosure, my daughter went there, its not anything like ND. His "traits" won't be an issue there.

Leave a comment:

• Irish du Nord
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
    Sauce Gardner gonna show him that the grass isn't always greener #GoBearcats
    A nice bounce-back game after he gets torched by Keys on October 2nd

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    Sauce Gardner gonna show him that the grass isn't always greener #GoBearcats

Leave a comment:

• RDU Irish
    replied
    SEC powerhouse Mizzou loses twice.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

He just wants to play mane
    I assume that's why he made the choice he made.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    So after all that, the five star recruit is going to a G5 school that once awarded themselves a National Championship.

I regret the posts I wasted in this thread now more than ever. Onward we go to August.
    He just wants to play mane

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post

I don't blame him, they are always in the NC hunt

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    So after all that, the five star recruit is going to a G5 school that once awarded themselves a National Championship.

I regret the posts I wasted in this thread now more than ever. Onward we go to August.

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    Originally posted by TP81989 View Post
    Transferring to UCF
    I don't blame him, they are always in the NC hunt

Leave a comment:

• TP81989
    replied
    Transferring to UCF

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Nobody open their eyes for all the deep balls he’ll catch. Gabriel loves to sling it lol

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    rumored to be heading to UCF

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    The more I hear the more I think this kid is living the hype instead of walking the path.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
    so on II podcast yesterday they mentioned that Johnson was kicked out of a Wide Receiver meeting before the Alabama game??
    "traits"

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    so on II podcast yesterday they mentioned that Johnson was kicked out of a Wide Receiver meeting before the Alabama game??

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post

I'd love to hear about what is faulty here. If you know your DBs can lock down all the WR's 1 on 1, your front 7 can focus entirely on the run game and tight ends.

If one of those WR's commands more than one guy's attention, it opens a lot of windows for the other guys (WR's, TE's, RB's).
    i guess we were looking at it from different angles....i thought you were implying if we don't get a 5* wr or high 4 *(wr's that scare anyone) then nothing will change...if by actual production we don't have anyone that scares the opposing team, then yes i agree w. you...

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Committing somewhere tomm. Only tangible name I’ve seen besides Missouri is Miami but haven’t looked to hard

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

I never disagreed with the premise that our WR talent isn't as high as it could/should be.

Unrelated but when was Wisconsin's last playoff appearance?
    Fair point. They're very very close to what ND is, with the exception that the Badgers have to deal with Ohio St and ND does not...until next year.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post

this logic is so fucking faulty i don't even know if you're trolling at this point....i guess they are the only players to play in a game???
    I'd love to hear about what is faulty here. If you know your DBs can lock down all the WR's 1 on 1, your front 7 can focus entirely on the run game and tight ends.

If one of those WR's commands more than one guy's attention, it opens a lot of windows for the other guys (WR's, TE's, RB's).

Leave a comment:

• SBirishlawyer
    replied
    I think many opinions on the JJ situation are highly colored by a posters underlying opinion of Coach Alexander. I wonder if most here would agree that it is a make or break year for our WR coach based on 2022 recruiting class potential/impression, 2021 position group overall performance, and three (dove tailing off #2) some higher rotation and development of younger receivers.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

this logic is so fucking faulty i don't even know if you're trolling at this point....i guess they are the only players to play in a game???
    I don’t disagree with his logic at all there. Without threatening WRs we will not have a different result in the Playoff. 100% agree with that I don’t think it’s a troll sentiment at all and I’d be surprised if that’s not a majority sentiment

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    To sum up JJ's ND career: a 5* recruit who had academic troubles that led him not to play on the field and he transfers (takes the easy way out) out.

I don't agree with how the JJ situation goes into how the WR's are developed. Take away JJ's 5* headline and he is just another transfer.

Sure glad that Botelho matured and I bet will show on the field this year.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied

Agree, but if ND plays Ohio St and Clemson in the next 2 years with WRs who don't scare anyone, we shouldn't expect different results. Then ND offensively is Wisconsin with more history and better unis.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Or...if ND has 10 WR's and one or two are top 100 guys, shouldn't they have an easier path to playing time? I don't mean starting...just getting on the field and making a few plays.
    Sure if everything is clicking properly, but here's the problem. We get a 5 star WR in JJ and get excited about the possibilities, but he's our only 5 star WR. We know not every 5 star kid turns out to be a 5 star. Unfortunately our only 5 star WR was one of them. When we (IE) discuss players, our discussions are normally centered around FB and we lose sight that they have academics to deal with, adjusting to being away from home, etc. All of that affects on field performance.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

Or...if ND has 10 WR's and one or two are top 100 guys, shouldn't they have an easier path to playing time? I don't mean starting...just getting on the field and making a few plays.
    This assumes 100% hit rate of the prospect though. If one is not truly a Top 100 (JJ possibly) and one is hurt (Austin) then you have zero.

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied

Agree, but if ND plays Ohio St and Clemson in the next 2 years with WRs who don't scare anyone, we shouldn't expect different results. Then ND offensively is Wisconsin with more history and better unis.
    I never disagreed with the premise that our WR talent isn't as high as it could/should be.

Unrelated but when was Wisconsin's last playoff appearance?

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Considering the number of 5 star kids they get every year compared to ND, this isn't a surprise. The more you have the better the chance a freshman or two sees the field, right? The spring game may have been the straw that broke the camels back, but it wasn't the sole reason for his decision.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post

The big boys can get 10% or less on the field as true freshman. And guess what, they stack 5 stars at an absurd rate. We need 2-3 top 75 players/class if we want 1 to see the field in a meaningful way. Stop this narrative.

Sign more top end talent, find more that are capable of contributing immediately. Sign less, get less.

We are doing incredibly well considering our other blue chippers (Tyree, Mayer) in 2020 shared big roles as freshman and both are poised to take big steps this year.

Leave a comment:

• RDU Irish
    replied

He's bitter in general, and an asshole. He treated his Twitter followers like dog crap and people kept going back for more. A very arrogant individual who if he was half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be Bill Belichick.
    FIFY

Leave a comment:

• rtrn2glory
    replied
    https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14919...-thursday(free article)

It says a lot about his time with the program that the only two on field plays he’ll be remembered for will be him punching a guy against South Florida and blocking when he was supposed to be receiving a screen pass in the spring game. Despite the potential he showed as a recruit, it never materialized for him at Notre Dame and that doesn’t even get into off the field issues that were part of his time in South Bend.

The frustration with the individual case of Johnson and not playing as a freshman is misguided. There were reasons (plural) why he shouldn’t have been on the field. The concerns about the future at wide receiver are completely understandable.
    Thanks for posting, that is a very good take and actually puts everything in perspective quickly.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14919...-thursday(free article)

It says a lot about his time with the program that the only two on field plays he’ll be remembered for will be him punching a guy against South Florida and blocking when he was supposed to be receiving a screen pass in the spring game. Despite the potential he showed as a recruit, it never materialized for him at Notre Dame and that doesn’t even get into off the field issues that were part of his time in South Bend.

The frustration with the individual case of Johnson and not playing as a freshman is misguided. There were reasons (plural) why he shouldn’t have been on the field. The concerns about the future at wide receiver are completely understandable.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Win games and get freshmen on the field because they're talented enough and ready to contribute. We should all sit back and look at this from a recruit/ parent perspective:

ND is good enough to get into the playoff twice in the past few years, but why can all the other big boys (Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma) get freshman WR's on the field and ND can't? I thought all the smart kids went to ND? And if my kid is that good, why does he have to wait until his junior year to get on the field?
    Considering the number of 5 star kids they get every year compared to ND, this isn't a surprise. The more you have the better the chance a freshman or two sees the field, right? The spring game may have been the straw that broke the camels back, but it wasn't the sole reason for his decision.

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied

Win games and get freshmen on the field because they're talented enough and ready to contribute. We should all sit back and look at this from a recruit/ parent perspective:

ND is good enough to get into the playoff twice in the past few years, but why can all the other big boys (Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma) get freshman WR's on the field and ND can't? I thought all the smart kids went to ND? And if my kid is that good, why does he have to wait until his junior year to get on the field?
    The big boys can get 10% or less on the field as true freshman. And guess what, they stack 5 stars at an absurd rate. We need 2-3 top 75 players/class if we want 1 to see the field in a meaningful way. Stop this narrative.

Sign more top end talent, find more that are capable of contributing immediately. Sign less, get less.

We are doing incredibly well considering our other blue chippers (Tyree, Mayer) in 2020 shared big roles as freshman and both are poised to take big steps this year.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
    Do we want to win games or keep freshmen happy?

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied

with his size? how tall you think he is??? he's 6'1 at best....red zone is not the time to toss a freshman in unless they are some huge target which he isn't
    Agree to disagree depending on skill and who's defending the WR. Point is a freshman doesn't have to know everything to contribute to the offense.

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    If JJ didn't come in as a 5* recruit would this be a big deal?

Leave a comment:

• Irishnuke
    replied

I may have missed it and apologize in advance but is there a source for the claim he was "clearly" transferring?
    Some dudes in this thread

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post

My whole point is giving hyper credence to a spring game, at any point but certainly not in this case, it’s not nearly relevant enough to phrase it as hand in hand with “academic issues”. If you want to reference practice all of that sure it’s worth referencing but implying a spring game performance is clear evidence that JJ would be contributing to poor team culture? That’s just hyperbole
    It's not hyperbole, it's another data point in a trend that backs up what the staff has been saying. I love JJ, from all accounts he's a good kid and he tried to make it work. It could've been the balance was so difficult that a change of scenery is exactly what is needed. I have no doubt JJ can put up numbers at his next landing spot. He was not ready to do that at ND so this separation will be better for both parties. I wanted him to breakthrough, I wanted things to click and I was high on JJ (going as far as comparing him to Marvin Harrison).

It wasn't meant to be. The staff need to fill out the 22 class with immediate contributors and some of Styles, Colzie, Thomas, Brunelle and Watts need to earn snaps this fall. There were too many whiffs in the middle classes so they need to mature quickly and eat the playbook every. single. day.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

so then your whole point goes out the window...if this had been all orchestrated prior to blue/gold then why would BK play him at all or call a designed play for him???? makes no sense unless you are trying to showcase his potential to another team or you're throwing a bone to a kid for putting time into the program but either way you slice it, he wasn't prepared/locked in/focused or as BK famously says,....."traits" and doing the little things and up to this point, he has struggled with this per BK...but that is what we know, not assume
    My whole point is giving hyper credence to a spring game, at any point but certainly not in this case, it’s not nearly relevant enough to phrase it as hand in hand with “academic issues”. If you want to reference practice all of that sure it’s worth referencing but implying a spring game performance is clear evidence that JJ would be contributing to poor team culture? That’s just hyperbole

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied

No nothing to confirm that but I don’t see ND having a graphic ready for him to fire off Monday morning and JJ making the decision in a 36 hour span without some prior conversation. I am making assumptions, which definitely ironic considering my post, but I can see it being a case where he already talked to the staff at least days prior and maybe they said hey see it through or see how you feel after the spring game and if still the same then we’ll take the next step, or something to that effect.
    so then your whole point goes out the window...if this had been all orchestrated prior to blue/gold then why would BK play him at all or call a designed play for him???? makes no sense unless you are trying to showcase his potential to another team or you're throwing a bone to a kid for putting time into the program but either way you slice it, he wasn't prepared/locked in/focused or as BK famously says,....."traits" and doing the little things and up to this point, he has struggled with this per BK...but that is what we know, not assume

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied

No nothing to confirm that but I don’t see ND having a graphic ready for him to fire off Monday morning and JJ making the decision in a 36 hour span without some prior conversation. I am making assumptions, which definitely ironic considering my post, but I can see it being a case where he already talked to the staff at least days prior and maybe they said hey see it through or see how you feel after the spring game and if still the same then we’ll take the next step, or something to that effect.
    Ok... I think there were plenty of red flags in the air by the time of the game but if anyhting the spring game reinforced that he just wasnt ready for sure and didnt make the improvements needed during the spring period and that playing time would not be forthcoming.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

I may have missed it and apologize in advance but is there a source for the claim he was "clearly" transferring?

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied

I already said earlier but the blue and gold game thing is frankly, a cheap shot. He was clearly already planning to transfer at that point. Critiquing a spring game performance is already a stretch but critiquing the performance of someone just seeing it through to the end of spring is just not valuable takeaway to me

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    serious question.....for those clamoring for JJ to have played last year or continue to beat the drum of finding ways for him to get in......did you play football? reason i ask is because if you were on the team and are busting your ass to learn the playbook, school, doing whatever is asked from you at practice then you don't play; however here is a kid that had academic issues, didn't show up prepared at the blue/gold game but yet he should have playing time carved out for him....how do you think that goes over w/ others doing the right thing ..it's bad for the culture
    I already said earlier but the blue and gold game thing is frankly, a cheap shot. He was clearly already planning to transfer at that point. Critiquing a spring game performance is already a stretch but critiquing the performance of someone just seeing it through to the end of spring is just not valuable takeaway to me

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    serious question.....for those clamoring for JJ to have played last year or continue to beat the drum of finding ways for him to get in......did you play football? reason i ask is because if you were on the team and are busting your ass to learn the playbook, school, doing whatever is asked from you at practice then you don't play; however here is a kid that had academic issues, didn't show up prepared at the blue/gold game but yet he should have playing time carved out for him....how do you think that goes over w/ others doing the right thing ..it's bad for the culture

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    Im sorry... but if the kid cant remember a play specifically designed to go to him after an intense period of training during spring ball.... no way Kelly puts him on the field. Knowing the plays and not executing is one thing. Not knowing the play is coming to you after you leave the huddle is a

Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 05-06-2021, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied

My guess would be short distance/ red zone with his size.
    with his size? how tall you think he is??? he's 6'1 at best....red zone is not the time to toss a freshman in unless they are some huge target which he isn't

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    Do we want to win games or keep freshmen happy?

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by NDRock View Post

Should have called a jet sweep.
    Lol

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied

For a 3-9 team not coached by Kelly that was the victim of the previous staff's utter recruiting neglect and failure. Tate got out there out of necessity more than anything else. Stovall, Samardzija and McKnight were all gone.

There are plenty of guys who can't do the job even when you draw something up in the dirt. Again, if you're the 28th best player in America and truly that, they're going to find a way to get you on the field if you can cut it.

I think he didn't cut it and quite a bit of that is his fault.
    Agree completely on Golden. We aren't at practice and don't know what JJ could or couldn't do, but it doesn't help the narrative of WRs don't play at ND until their junior or senior year. Because that ain't the case at the Big 3 (Bama, Clemson, Ohio St).

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X