Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'20 MO WR Jordan Johnson (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
    Can't tell if this is some brotherly MO love from Kyren.

Or, if there's smoke that he's trying to extinguish :////
    i feel like its a pat on the back from Kyren to JJ
    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
      i feel like its a pat on the back from Kyren to JJ
      ARE YOU SURE

Comment

ARE YOU SURE
        don't worry brah i'm gonna DM JJ a "Trust the Process yo" and all be fine
        What did Davonte do?

Comment

Can't tell if this is some brotherly MO love from Kyren.

Or, if there's smoke that he's trying to extinguish :////
          nah, he's just trying to give encouragement
          EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
            nah, he's just trying to give encouragement
            I agree. I was playing devils advocate.

JJ is going through a similar (but different) delayed start. Kyren is the perfect example of blessed are the patient...

Comment

• Welp, he's announced he will be entering the portal per ISD.

Comment

• Comment

• in fairness i would give him a little kudos for sticking it out through spring ball
                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

• before everyone freaks out and complains about the staff not getting him on the field, did anyone actually consider, maybe he's just not that good?

Comment

• Damn. I was expecting maybe later on but for him to hold through spring and summer at least

Comment

• Seems like this has been inevitable for some time. Hope it ends well for him.

Comment

• It may not have been just football. It seemd like he might have been struggling acadmeically too. Maybe it was that and not actually football. Anyway. Good luck JJ.
                          "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                            I’m pretty conflicted because I want to root for him wherever he goes (Missouri?), but I’m also going to find it difficult watching our former near 5 star that somehow flamed out at ND go put up solid numbers and make it to the league via another team.

Comment

• Good luck to him. I hope he goes to Missouri or Illinois and kills it

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                Damn. I was expecting maybe later on but for him to hold through spring and summer at least
                                He did hold through spring.
                                But if he wants to play this fall, needs to make the move before summer camps.

Comment

• This news would've ruined my day three years ago.

Now it's just another highly-rated WR that couldn't firmly grasp the 'traits,' or didn't want to wait to do so.

Not sure if I'm in a healthier place as a fan, or if I'm numb to losing the highly rated guys at this point.

Good luck, JJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                    This news would've ruined my day three years ago.

Now it's just another highly-rated WR that couldn't firmly grasp the 'traits,' or didn't want to wait to do so.

Not sure if I'm in a healthier place as a fan, or if I'm numb to losing the highly rated guys at this point.

Good luck, JJ.
                                    https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14892...ces-transfer/1

ISD reporting he had work to do to be even able to play next year. Academics were an issue. They said he's a good kid and learned a bunch in his time here, but probably beneficial for both parties.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoIll View Post

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14892...ces-transfer/1

ISD reporting he had work to do to be even able to play next year. Academics were an issue. They said he's a good kid and learned a bunch in his time here, but probably beneficial for both parties.
                                      This is normal with these type players. ND gave him a chance and he just couldn’t keep up apparently. This is normal for ND anymore.
                                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Good luck to Jordan, will be rooting for him wherever he lands

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

This is normal with these type players. ND gave him a chance and he just couldn’t keep up apparently. This is normal for ND anymore.
                                            Who are “these type players”?

Comment

borderline academic takes
                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

• When he signed with ND I put a sub 50% chance he would graduate from the school. Players that don't seem to "fit" the ND mold rarely work out. Regardless, he hasn't flashed five star talent once since being at Notre Dame.

Good luck I guess

Comment

• I'm sad

Comment

• This is a strange one. How good was/is he really? I honestly do not remember analysts being giddy about him during his recruitment, which I always found odd.
                                                    "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                      When he signed with ND I put a sub 50% chance he would graduate from the school. Players that don't seem to "fit" the ND mold rarely work out. Regardless, he hasn't flashed five star talent once since being at Notre Dame.

Good luck I guess
                                                      I never saw anything to that effect; was it "non -public" info.? Websites that cover the team never seems to go there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                        This news would've ruined my day three years ago.

Good luck, JJ.
                                                        Thats always been the problem. How many 5* recruits have the acadmeic chops to make it at ND. We must sustain on high caliber 3 and 4* talent with th eoccansional diamonds in the rough.
                                                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Unless most were keeping it to themselves I don’t see much of those not a fit sentiment shared pre-him showing up to campus. He went to the type of catholic academic school ND covets. The academic stuff popped up pretty quickly in the fall but seems a bit revisionist to question the fit from the beginning

where does everyone’s optimism shift now? Colzie for me

Comment

• SMDH

Why can't we have nice things?

Do we think this increases a take at WR in this recruiting cycle?
                                                            Last edited by rtrn2glory; 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM.
                                                            Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• I am not surprised at all by JJ announcing to transfer. Seems to me like he had trouble academically. I think if he would've figured that out, he would've found PT as a key backup WR this year.

Like Dale said, give me Colzie!

Comment

• I wish Jordan luck. He wasn't competing for real minutes at this point and if he's not fully bought in, it's likely best for both parties. I'm sure he'll land on his feet at a program that works for him and our WR room just got a little bit smaller.

At least we don't have to keep wondering if JJ will emerge though fall camp and the season. Now I'll start focusing on Lo Styles and Colzie and wondering if they'll be able to make an impact soon.

Comment

• Will Watts stick around or he is another transfer?

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                                    SMDH

Why can't we have nice things?

Do we think this increases a take at WR in this recruiting cycle?
                                                                    I think they were planning on WR numbers being higher than we expected. I think they're going to go for 3 WR's they like and possibly add a 4th or 5th if it's a guy that can play DB. They've already talked to Taylor Groves about the Cam Hart role and he loves that idea. Walker is another guy where his trainer actually thinks he has more upside as a DB so maybe that's a possibility with him as well. If they were to get Bradshaw, Williams, and Merriweather while also taking Walker and/or Groves. I think that'd be a hell of a haul with the potential for 2 of those guys to be DB's.

Comment

• When I heard the news obviously I was disappointed. I really don't like guys leaving the program, especially if the kid has potential to be great. I don't know why we are all banging the academics though.

I think we need to get A LOT better at developing WR's. Our best plays for receivers for 4 years now have been 1) go routes to taller guys (Claypool, Boykin, MvKinley), 2) Broken plays where we run around till coverage breaks down, 3) Curls, 4) The occasional post to split the safeties, 5) screen pass.

Our receiver development has been terribly mismanaged imo. They block well, which I love. But route running has been bad, and the route combos have been very unimaginative. Usually when we need yards we rely on TE drags. Del and Tommy haven't been impressive at getting that position firing on all cylinders, and I don't think it's the academics that is holding the position back. We need to work on our development and training of receivers desperately on offense, and then we need to diversify and become more clever with the play calling enough to give them a chance to succeed on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by DONTH8 View Post
                                                                        When I heard the news obviously I was disappointed. I really don't like guys leaving the program, especially if the kid has potential to be great. I don't know why we are all banging the academics though.

I think we need to get A LOT better at developing WR's. Our best plays for receivers for 4 years now have been 1) go routes to taller guys (Claypool, Boykin, MvKinley), 2) Broken plays where we run around till coverage breaks down, 3) Curls, 4) The occasional post to split the safeties, 5) screen pass.

Our receiver development has been terribly mismanaged imo. They block well, which I love. But route running has been bad, and the route combos have been very unimaginative. Usually when we need yards we rely on TE drags. Del and Tommy haven't been impressive at getting that position firing on all cylinders, and I don't think it's the academics that is holding the position back. We need to work on our development and training of receivers desperately on offense, and then we need to diversify and become more clever with the play calling enough to give them a chance to succeed on the field.
                                                                        Last year, our best receivers available were McKinley and Skowronek with Davis sprinkled in. That's because our expected top-level receivers were hurt. Austin's foot and Lenzy's hamstring kept us from being able to add some more wrinkles to the playbook. I don't think Rees lacked the ability to add more "clever" elements last year, he did what he needed to do to maximize the teams potential.

I understands it's common for fanbases to look for the achilles heal of their program. I think one could argue we're not signing enough top-end talent but I believe the staff have developed/maximized the players they have.

Comment

• Coach D on twitter throwing the staff under the bus for not playing him. What exactly did Johnson do in camp to warrant playing over McKinley, Skrowneck, Davis, Wilkins, and Lenzy? Are we supposed to play all 5 stars as freshman so they don't get mad and transfer?

Comment

• Oh well. Next...
                                                                            60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                                              Coach D on twitter throwing the staff under the bus for not playing him. What exactly did Johnson do in camp to warrant playing over McKinley, Skrowneck, Davis, Wilkins, and Lenzy? Are we supposed to play all 5 stars as freshman so they don't get mad and transfer?
                                                                              Strong endorsement of the staff's personnel decisions right there.

Comment

• On JJ, I pretty torn on this one. I do believe that a majority of this was due to fit. I've said for awhile, for a lot of prospects, ND is better in theory than it is practice. Meaning the idea of getting an ND degree and playing high level football seems too good to pass up, but you still have to do the work in the classroom. And, it seems like he struggled with that from the start. But, the same thing happened with Botelho and Elston got him to come back. How and why would be the questions I'd ask. I'd bet it has something to do with his buy-in for the role they had planned for him. Which leads to my next point.

We simply have to play more WR's. Because while it may not have mattered here with JJ, it most certainly could or will with others. And it's the guys that are supposed to be at ND that we can't afford to lose because we couldn't get guys on the field for another 50-100 snaps over a 13 game season. Would it matter JJ played another 50-100 snaps last year? Probably not. But, we cannot have that be a part of these decisions. We have 2 WR's from the '19 and '20 classes. You lose Watts and it's just 1.

The reason I said I was torn is because while it sucks to lose JJ and I think this is a problem with the program (WR snaps), I'm not sure this has a meaningful impact to our roster. Short term this is Austin's team he just needs to get healthy. Keys might be the most arrow up guy on the team right now. And then we fill in the space with Lenzy, Davis, Wilkins, etc. And, I'm not sure it really hurts the future. Like I've been posting his thread. I think we all didn't give Colzie the credit he deserved. The combo of him and Styles in the same class is the best duo Kelly has recruited at WR during his entire tenure at ND. Following Styles and Colzie's progress will be interesting as that could answer the question of, will they be ready to take over as Sophomores? I seem to think they will.

Comment

• I saw something from sampson where I guess jj was supposed to get a screen pass in blue) good game but instead blocked.... Not only are you not passing, your struggling to make your mark and then miss the assignment...
                                                                                  EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

5 stars and top 50 players.
                                                                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                                      On JJ, I pretty torn on this one. I do believe that a majority of this was due to fit. I've said for awhile, for a lot of prospects, ND is better in theory than it is practice. Meaning the idea of getting an ND degree and playing high level football seems too good to pass up, but you still have to do the work in the classroom. And, it seems like he struggled with that from the start. But, the same thing happened with Botelho and Elston got him to come back. How and why would be the questions I'd ask. I'd bet it has something to do with his buy-in for the role they had planned for him. Which leads to my next point.

We simply have to play more WR's. Because while it may not have mattered here with JJ, it most certainly could or will with others. And it's the guys that are supposed to be at ND that we can't afford to lose because we couldn't get guys on the field for another 50-100 snaps over a 13 game season. Would it matter JJ played another 50-100 snaps last year? Probably not. But, we cannot have that be a part of these decisions. We have 2 WR's from the '19 and '20 classes. You lose Watts and it's just 1.

The reason I said I was torn is because while it sucks to lose JJ and I think this is a problem with the program (WR snaps), I'm not sure this has a meaningful impact to our roster. Short term this is Austin's team he just needs to get healthy. Keys might be the most arrow up guy on the team right now. And then we fill in the space with Lenzy, Davis, Wilkins, etc. And, I'm not sure it really hurts the future. Like I've been posting his thread. I think we all didn't give Colzie the credit he deserved. The combo of him and Styles in the same class is the best duo Kelly has recruited at WR during his entire tenure at ND. Following Styles and Colzie's progress will be interesting as that could answer the question of, will they be ready to take over as Sophomores? I seem to think they will.
                                                                                      It's especially acute at WR but it's something that needs to be addressed for the offense as a whole.

Comment

• You have to be holding your own in the classroom before you see playing time. Hard to develop a player when they struggle in the classroom or are injured like Austin or Lenzy. Wish JJ the best. He gave it a try.

Comment

• Irish Illustrated Podcast (Prister, O'Malley, and Sampson) said it straight out.

Off the field issues were not the biggest factor here. Sources confirmed that JJ was just, not good. Going back to his HS film, really not sure about that 5 star ranking.

Comment

Irish Illustrated Podcast (Prister, O'Malley, and Sampson) said it straight out.

Off the field issues were not the biggest factor here. Sources confirmed that JJ was just, not good. Going back to his HS film, really not sure about that 5 star ranking.
                                                                                            Here is Prister's Film Review of him before he committed. And, their board insider over their, TJ34 called him a must get and said Chip Long agreed.

In The Film Room . . . Jordan Johnson (247sports.com)

I think we got a little bit of revisionist history here.

Comment

• Tommy Bush from Georgia is in the portal. They should kick the tires on him. Colzie and Thomas gotta play right away too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

Here is Prister's Film Review of him before he committed. And, their board insider over their, TJ34 called him a must get and said Chip Long agreed.

In The Film Room . . . Jordan Johnson (247sports.com)

I think we got a little bit of revisionist history here.
                                                                                                I think he is a solid 4 star, ~ borderline top 150 talent, which in ND's world (especially in 2019) was a must get skill player. Don't think he has any 5 star "traits". Tyree on the other hand, had game breaking speed which separated him from other top RBs.

Comment

• Mike Frank Power Hour: "Never heard anyone inside say that JJ looks good, like we did when Kevin Austin was young, for example."

Sounds like "traits" may have been code for, actual on the field traits too...

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
                                                                                                    Tommy Bush from Georgia is in the portal. They should kick the tires on him. Colzie and Thomas gotta play right away too.
                                                                                                    Thomas and Colzie gotta play right away as in to keep them happy or the team needs them too?

Comment

• We are in an era of college sports (not just football) where top skill talent expects to play and contribute early or transfer. To the extent that ND does not accommodate these types of recruits (which we can debate ad nauseum), then they will need to remain active on the backend grabbing high-floor contributors off the transfer portal. The death nail for ND is a world in which they don't play the young-ins and they also aren't a presence in the grad transfer game. Recent years suggest that this won't be the case but just throwing it out there.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X