Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'20 MO WR Jordan Johnson (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before you guys break your necks doing backflips, you might want to temper the enthusiasm a little. He may get to play this week, but his impact probably isn't going to be as great as you would like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
      Before you guys break your necks doing backflips, you might want to temper the enthusiasm a little. He may get to play this week, but his impact probably isn't going to be as great as you would like.
      exactly. making a couple catches in practice with the big boys doesnt mean instant stardom.

on the other hand - if he does ball out it doesnt necessarily mean he should have been playing all along either.
      Prehistoric

Comment

• I think freshmen are all over the map. There's a lot to adjust to in year one, especially with all the covid crap. Maybe he's been battling with the whole picture, class, time management, taking care of mind and body, how to be consistent, the playbook, and finding his game. Now with injuries, he's saying to himself let's go, time to become a big boy. I'm sure Javon and others will continue to be mentors and leaders around him. Hopefully we see a young kid's light turn on and he never looks back. Bring it JJ.

Anyone have reports on Xavier Watts? Maybe he's in a similar type of situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
          I think freshmen are all over the map. There's a lot to adjust to in year one, especially with all the covid crap. Maybe he's been battling with the whole picture, class, time management, taking care of mind and body, how to be consistent, the playbook, and finding his game. Now with injuries, he's saying to himself let's go, time to become a big boy. I'm sure Javon and others will continue to be mentors and leaders around him. Hopefully we see a young kid's light turn on and he never looks back. Bring it JJ.

Haven't heard anything too specific about Watts, other than he's in the mix.

But the fact he travelled with the team tells me that he must be knocking on play time's door.
          *edit* just remembered Lawrence is coming back to full time soon, so maybe not too close to playing yet**

Comment

Before you guys break your necks doing backflips, you might want to temper the enthusiasm a little. He may get to play this week, but his impact probably isn't going to be as great as you would like.
            IDK, it only took Skow a few nice grabs last week for me to fall in love.
            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
              I think freshmen are all over the map. There's a lot to adjust to in year one, especially with all the covid crap. Maybe he's been battling with the whole picture, class, time management, taking care of mind and body, how to be consistent, the playbook, and finding his game. Now with injuries, he's saying to himself let's go, time to become a big boy. I'm sure Javon and others will continue to be mentors and leaders around him. Hopefully we see a young kid's light turn on and he never looks back. Bring it JJ.

That’s what gets lost in translation when Irish fans complain “How come all the other powerhouses can get freshmen on the field but ND can’t?” The Irish Illustrated guys were talking about the night/day difference of a freshman transitioning from HS to an ND culture/classload vs a freshman transitioning from HS to an SEC/ACC factory. Said it’s real and holds a lot of freshmen back.

As far as Watts, he sounds like he wouldn’t bring that speed to the field that we lost w/ Lenzy & Austin. Heard he’s a helluva athlete and can catch anything but lacks the breakaway speed that JJ offers. Sounds like a TJ Jones kind of WR which would be great based on TJ’s production in four years at ND.

Comment

• I wish JJ was 6-3. It's the magical # at ND. In the passing era at ND, who has led the team in receiving that wasn't 6-3? Golden, Fuller and TJ Jones one year I think.

It's ruined McKinley & Austin's careers.

It also guarantees Skowronek leads the team in receiving this year despite his hammy injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                  IDK, it only took Skow a few nice grabs last week for me to fall in love.
                  Is ACamps's mom aware?

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                    Is ACamps's mom aware?
                    You think Acamp and I are

<iframe width="500" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X0DeIqJm4vM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                    Last edited by Irish YJ; 10-28-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Time and patience....once things fall in place we will see JJ more.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                        I wish JJ was 6-3. It's the magical # at ND. In the passing era at ND, who has led the team in receiving that wasn't 6-3? Golden, Fuller and TJ Jones one year I think.

It's ruined McKinley & Austin's careers.

It also guarantees Skowronek leads the team in receiving this year despite his hammy injury.
                        Rhema McKnight led the team in receiving in Ty's last two years. Arnaz Battle also did I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post
                          Rhema McKnight led the team in receiving in Ty's last two years. Arnaz Battle also did I believe.
                          He was so underrated, feel like he got overshadowed a bit by Shark's emergence and his injury in '05; FIFTEEN TD's in '06. That's a big number.
                          My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly states WR Jordan Johnson was brought up to varsity this week as he’s improved things away from The Gug. <br><br>“It’s never been about ability.”</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1321845279038066688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 29, 2020</a></blockquote>

Comment

• Sounds to me that maybe JJ is having trouble adjusting to academics plus football. If he needs extra time in school it seems learning the playbook should and has taken a back seat.
                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                Sounds to me that maybe JJ is having trouble adjusting to academics plus football. If he needs extra time in school it seems learning the playbook should and has taken a back seat.
                                come on now, the mouth breathers on this site know he is our best option at wr....geez how the hell did BK ever get hired to coach a div 1 team
                                EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• I could never survive at ND academically (laughable to think I could ever get accepted). To think that these guys succeed academically and perform under the pressure of ND football, man total props.

No disappointment in my eyes if a guy struggles early on.

Comment

• Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                    come on now, the mouth breathers on this site know he is our best option at wr....geez how the hell did BK ever get hired to coach a div 1 team
                                    Let the young man play. Other teams do it! If he isn't ready academically, we should lower our academic standards so the Freshman can play. Other schools do it! It's coaches fault, he should be tutoring him in his free time to ensure he is making the grades. What are we paying him for anyways

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                                      Let the young man play. Other teams do it! If he isn't ready academically, we should lower our academic standards so the Freshman can play. Other schools do it! It's coaches fault, he should be tutoring him in his free time to ensure he is making the grades. What are we paying him for anyways
                                      it's my biggest gripe with fans on here, but especially on facebook/twitter....fans are not privy to everything that goes on behind the scenes...we have a 5* wr(actually ended up as 4* i think) and of course he is our best option at wr according to these fans....do you not think BK would be playing him if he felt he would better our team? the kid played in a run dominant high school program..he wasn't some kid lighting it up at different camps every weekend, or posting some crazy stats or measurables.....the kids time will come...look at lenzy...as much as we wanted him to play, he even admitted finally he wasn't anywhere ready to play his freshman year....for all of the people too saying well he could just run a go route...well no shit he can but what if they have to check out of the play and he doesn't know what the new call is??? burn a time out? i mean there is so much more than just running a damn route
                                      Last edited by PANDFAN; 10-29-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Coincidentally he gets his off-field act together at the time of biggest need on-field. Weird how those things work.

Comment

• Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post
                                          Coincidentally he gets his off-field act together at the time of biggest need on-field. Weird how those things work.
                                          Maybe the weekend he spent on campus last week instead of traveling with the team got him back on track....that's a lot of free time to be focusing on your grades.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huntr View Post
                                            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly states WR Jordan Johnson was brought up to varsity this week as he’s improved things away from The Gug. <br><br>“It’s never been about ability.”</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1321845279038066688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 29, 2020</a></blockquote>
                                            Again - not a problem at factories. Argument can also be made that a taste of success on the field could help motivate in the classroom.

Comment

• Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                              it's my biggest gripe with fans on here, but especially on facebook/twitter....fans are not privy to everything that goes on behind the scenes...we have a 5* wr(actually ended up as 4* i think) and of course he is our best option at wr according to these fans....do you not think BK would be playing him if he felt he would better our team? the kid played in a run dominant high school program..he wasn't some kid lighting it up at different camps every weekend, or posting some crazy stats or measurables.....the kids time will come...look at lenzy...as much as we wanted him to play, he even admitted finally he wasn't anywhere ready to play his freshman year....for all of the people too saying well he could just run a go route...well no shit he can but what if they have to check out of the play and he doesn't know what the new call is??? burn a time out? i mean there is so much more than just running a damn route
                                              I couldn't agree more. I think 99% of fans on this board have been frustrated with the WR production heading into Pitt, but to act like the coaches aren't playing guys who could help for no good reason is just asinine. It's people making assumptions when they don't have a single spec of detail to formulate that opinion.

Sure enough, the news broke that he did in fact have issues academically, which many of us figured was a likely scenario when the classic BK "traits" was mentioned. If you want to blame someone, you blame ND and the academic standards, not BK. If anything, he has demonstrated a tremendous effort in the latter half of his tenure here to find highly skilled football players that, for the most part, meat ND's above and beyond character expectations compared to other teams. He deserves a lot of credit.

It also blows my mind that they say "we don't play freshman." Tyree and Mayer are doing a great job. Hamilton came in last year and balled out. Don't give me that, it's flat our wrong. You have academic and character expectations here and if you don't meet them, you don't play. period. If you don't like it, I hate to break it to you, but you're rooting for the wrong university.

Comment

• BK realizes that if they line up with McKinley and Skowronek against Clemson they'll lose 30-3 again. Encouraging.
                                                The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. I think 99% of fans on this board have been frustrated with the WR production heading into Pitt, but to act like the coaches aren't playing guys who could help for no good reason is just asinine. It's people making assumptions when they don't have a single spec of detail to formulate that opinion.

Sure enough, the news broke that he did in fact have issues academically, which many of us figured was a likely scenario when the classic BK "traits" was mentioned. If you want to blame someone, you blame ND and the academic standards, not BK. If anything, he has demonstrated a tremendous effort in the latter half of his tenure here to find highly skilled football players that, for the most part, meat ND's above and beyond character expectations compared to other teams. He deserves a lot of credit.

It also blows my mind that they say "we don't play freshman." Tyree and Mayer are doing a great job. Hamilton came in last year and balled out. Don't give me that, it's flat our wrong. You have academic and character expectations here and if you don't meet them, you don't play. period. If you don't like it, I hate to break it to you, but you're rooting for the wrong university.
                                                  I get the point that you and some others are making, but I think there’s some head-scratching decisions over the years that just leave a lot of fans wondering why the other powerhouses find a way to make it work but we don’t. Nyles Morgan riding the bench because Joe Schmidt’s mind was too valuable. Cam McDaniel being our STARTING RB. Not finding a way to get use out of Jurkovec, or keeping some of the talented receivers around. Even Claypool seemed to be held back for whatever reason. Recruit talent, find a way to play said talent as soon and as much as possible. That’s what the goal should be

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly states WR Jordan Johnson was brought up to varsity this week as he’s improved things away from The Gug. <br><br>“It’s never been about ability.”</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1321845279038066688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 29, 2020</a></blockquote>

Comment

• BK also mentioned that whether this translates to significant playing time is unsure. I think he just said "we'll see". So take that with a grain of salt.

He also said that Johnson is currently better out of the X than the W because he can get a free release, and they think he may struggle if not given that ability.
                                                      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by 317Irish View Post
                                                        I get the point that you and some others are making, but I think there’s some head-scratching decisions over the years that just leave a lot of fans wondering why the other powerhouses find a way to make it work but we don’t. Nyles Morgan riding the bench because Joe Schmidt’s mind was too valuable. Cam McDaniel being our STARTING RB. Not finding a way to get use out of Jurkovec, or keeping some of the talented receivers around. Even Claypool seemed to be held back for whatever reason. Recruit talent, find a way to play said talent as soon and as much as possible. That’s what the goal should be
                                                        Without being privy to what is going on behind the scenes I find it hard to question the decisions by BK and the staff. BK wants to win a NC as much as anyone else, so one would think he will play the best players if they are ready physically, academically and mentally.

As mentioned, he's playing Mayer & Tyree and he played Adams as a freshman. IIRC Morgan took a back seat to Schmidt because he had trouble with the playbook. Didn't Claypool come from a school that didn't play 11 on 11? There's got to be a learning curve there.

It's good Johnson is getting a chance to acclimate to game conditions this week and not next week.

Comment

• the other thing to is IF you don't learn to get your studies in order, practice right and learn the playbook, how can they reward you with playing time???? that's how you build a culture for a team

Comment

• This Phil J stuff man. Unreal. Like he's lighting the world on fire at BC. Let's supplant the career 24-3 starter for an unknown commodity with apparent rapport, work ethic and attitude issues with the coaching staff because he had a really good HS recruit ranking. Mind-boggling.

Comment

Without being privy to what is going on behind the scenes I find it hard to question the decisions by BK and the staff. BK wants to win a NC as much as anyone else, so one would think he will play the best players if they are ready physically, academically and mentally.

As mentioned, he's playing Mayer & Tyree and he played Adams as a freshman. IIRC Morgan took a back seat to Schmidt because he had trouble with the playbook. Didn't Claypool come from a school that didn't play 11 on 11? There's got to be a learning curve there.

It's good Johnson is getting a chance to acclimate to game conditions this week and not next week.
                                                              Claypool came from a school that played 12 on 12. Which for you math dullards is 1 better. That is the reason why Claypool is so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post
                                                                Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                                                                He was so underrated, feel like he got overshadowed a bit by Shark's emergence and his injury in '05; FIFTEEN TD's in '06. That's a big number.
                                                                Yeah, that injury was horrible timing, but it did lead to the Shark emerging as a big time player. I thought Rhema was better than Stovall, he was one of my favorites during the Weis era.

Comment

Im relieved to hear this as last week I chalked it up to another top 10 threat just not panning out at ND.. again.

Im excited about this team, especially the D.. If JJ can even create a slight bit more pressure on the D it will pay back 10 fold on our drives.. We need this kid to max out on potential.

Comment

• Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
                                                                    Im relieved to hear this as last week I chalked it up to another top 10 threat just not panning out at ND.. again.

Im excited about this team, especially the D.. If JJ can even create a slight bit more pressure on the D it will pay back 10 fold on our drives.. We need this kid to max out on potential.
                                                                    Agree, having JJ on the field can only help the offense. Our receiver corps isn't loaded with AA talent, glad to see CBK will let this kid have a go.

Comment

This Phil J stuff man. Unreal. Like he's lighting the world on fire at BC. Let's supplant the career 24-3 starter for an unknown commodity with apparent rapport, work ethic and attitude issues with the coaching staff because he had a really good HS recruit ranking. Mind-boggling.
                                                                      So we (outside the Gug) somehow know that Phil J had attitude and work ethic issues and JJ has off field issues...interesting.

Your thought process with BK and the staff doesn't really line up with what those of us who are somewhat critical are saying.
                                                                      The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                                                        So we (outside the Gug) somehow know that Phil J had attitude and work ethic issues and JJ has off field issues...interesting.

Your thought process with BK and the staff doesn't really line up with what those of us who are somewhat critical are saying.
                                                                        To be fair, these are things that have been reported. And Phil practically admitted that he was not mentally/emotionally invested at ND.
                                                                        "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post

As Beau said, this was reported with Phil J. There was little to NO detail surrounding JJ other than "traits" until this week that it was a reported academic issue, which is completely understandable for a true fresh.

I'm not a rainbows and butterflies BK supporter. I think he has gotten us to the healthiest spot since the Holtz era and has found a way to keep ND competitive as a "tier II" (not Bama, Clemson, OSU) CFB contender. It's not lost on me that he hasn't won the big games such as the one coming up on the 7th. But I also trust his judgement if he's holding back a talent such as JJ.

We can't know what is going on inside the gug, within reason. But to act like 1) BK doesn't want to win, 2) he doesn't like talent (seriously, wtf), 3) He doesn't play freshman (completely false), or whatever other hot take the critics regarding JJ have come up with.....they're just not based on facts IMO.

I'm glad JJ appears to be getting a shot to compete in the WR group this week, just like you. But a lot of posters here are basing JJ's lack of activity on a lot of assumptions. Let's not forget, BK mentioned "traits" early on this year and JJ DID get into the game late in garbage time against USF....and resulted in a personal foul penalty after a chippy play. Not saying JJ is an inherently bad kid, but not a good look after he was already mentioned to be having issues adjusting to college life and adhering to ND's standards very early on.

Hope he has it figured out, hope he competes and hope we see plenty of him moving forward. But I give BK and the staff the benefit of the doubt for this instance, specifically.

EDIT: Not to mention we had an extremely limited off season program and fall camp and he came in as a true fresh in a position group riddled with 5th year seniors and vets. There are enough factors at play here to trust the staff on this one, in summary.
                                                                          Last edited by Some Irish Bloke; 10-30-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• https://www.ndinsider.com/football/a...ec97168e1.html

Comment

• Thanks. Great article.

"it was never about ability" + "he's making progress in the classroom" = ? lol

I did like the fact they said he could end up playing W instead of X down the road. I don't really want he and Austin stuck on the same side. Seems BK thinks he needs to get better against the press, so needs to start at X... Personally I'd put him at W, and simply motion him if getting a clean release is the issue.

Comment

• I just want to see a bubble screen or shallow cross with one of our TE’s coming from the opposite side to clear some room, where we let him get through the LBs, get him the ball and see if he can make a play. Give these young athletes a chance to make a play and if they do their confidence will soar and really help the team out. Tyree hasn’t broken out too much but look out if he does as well.

Comment

• Good to see him playing some reps versus BC.

Comment

• To his credit he appears to be having a great time even when he's not playing. I'm not seeing a lot of diva like is sometimes feared for 5 stars that don't get PT.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                                      To his credit he appears to be having a great time even when he's not playing. I'm not seeing a lot of diva like is sometimes feared for 5 stars that don't get PT.
                                                                                      Agreed, he was amongst the guys doing a coordinated dance, laughing and smiling. He also always seems hyped for Kyren whenever he’s does well. Both being from MO and all.

Comment

• It also helps that he's on the #2 team in the nation. But it sure looks and sounds like he's focused a bit more and adjusted more. I'm happy for him and looking forward to a breakout next year

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                          It also helps that he's on the #2 team in the nation. But it sure looks and sounds like he's focused a bit more and adjusted more. I'm happy for him and looking forward to a breakout next year
                                                                                          I agree with you, I think he is one that could have a breakout season next year. Patience will pay off for this young man.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                            It also helps that he's on the #2 team in the nation. But it sure looks and sounds like he's focused a bit more and adjusted more. I'm happy for him and looking forward to a breakout next year
                                                                                            Much easier to stay engaged when you are on a team that's winning. Looking forward to seeing him make plays, whether that's this year or next year.
                                                                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Purely my opinion, but simply his elevation off the PS, and the call out of him balling out in practice, may have been enough to wake the kid up.

While I don't necessarily like it that a kid needs stroked to change his work ethic or attitude, sometimes it can have a very positive effect.

Whatever the reason, I'm just glad things are clicking for him. While I'm very happy with our WRs stepping up, we're still missing the dynamic factor a bit. AD is certainly becoming more dynamic as the season progresses, but Javon is limited by his measurables, and Skow will always be the big possession guy. We need a few dynamic guys to step up when those 3 aren't enough.

Keys, Johnson, Wilkens, etc. could provide some different options for us.

Comment

• Our WR corps is gonna be SICK over the next few years

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                                                                  Our WR corps is gonna be SICK over the next few years

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I'm betting Pyne will be the one slinging it too.... IMO.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Keep trusting it, time will only tell.. <a href="https://twitter.com/jjohnsonj1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@jjohnsonj1</a> <a href="https://t.co/35ldsJ9zrj">https://t.co/35ldsJ9zrj</a></p>&mdash; Kyren Williams (@Kyrenwilliams23) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kyrenwilliams23/status/1336386806477180931?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Keep trusting it, time will only tell.. <a href="https://twitter.com/jjohnsonj1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@jjohnsonj1</a> <a href="https://t.co/35ldsJ9zrj">https://t.co/35ldsJ9zrj</a></p>&mdash; Kyren Williams (@Kyrenwilliams23) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kyrenwilliams23/status/1336386806477180931?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                                      Can't tell if this is some brotherly MO love from Kyren.

Or, if there's smoke that he's trying to extinguish :////

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X