Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'20 MO WR Jordan Johnson (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
    Remember, we didn't have a real fall camp. It's extremely difficult with modified practices and no fall camp for freshmen to come in and truly push veterans for playing time.
    This x1000.

Johnson was already behind since he had no spring, but then fall got cut short and then they had to suspend football for 2 weeks.

Not ideal circumstances for a freshman to catch up with the more experienced players.

Not to mention, it's hard to justify moving McKinley after the game he had against FSU. Now, there's a reason to, but now Austin is back to full strength and Lenzy should be back too.
    It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Trust the coaching staff. The egos of people on the internet never cease to amaze me.

Comment

• Kelly has for the most part made the most of the WRs that he's recruited. "Busts" that come to mind are Davonte Neal, Justin Brent, & probably Javon McKinley although Neal and Brent had other issues. McKinley I think was just rated too highly as I don't see the physical tools there.

None of these guys were top 150 recruits yet all turned into NFL players:

TJ Jones
        Eq. St Brown
        Will Fuller
        Miles Boykin
        Chase Claypool

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
          I'm lost here.

If JJ/Watts etc were better than the upper classmen, don't you think they would be playing more? Kelly has proven before that he'll play fresh skill position players. Tyree and Mayer have already moved past guys, right now...

Sounds like we have some well-wishers.
          People are just upset with the passing offense so the answer had to be players that aren't playing.
          Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
            Remember, we didn't have a real fall camp. It's extremely difficult with modified practices and no fall camp for freshmen to come in and truly push veterans for playing time.
            I agree, but Tyree and Lewis?
            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
              People are just upset with the passing offense so the answer had to be players that aren't playing.
              I think it's as much a product of having limited measurable guys like Skowronek and Javon as your 1 and 2 to start the season. And on top of that, a third that is a QB2017/RB2018/CB&NB2019/WR2020.

Comment

Well its not as if thinking that is possible is really unreasonable. BKs dog house has hurt us in the past for example in the Georgia game in 2017 with refusing to give Williams 5 or so carries. Or Williams last season.

Comment

• This has nothing to do with egoís or thinking weíre better then the coaches. This has everything to do with how other elite programs operate. They get their athletes ready and on the field. Clemson for the last couple of years plays upward to 6-8 receivers a gam and not just during scrub time. Same with Ohio State. Itís not saying that JJ or Watts should start. Itís saying they are athletes and they need to get on the field in some capacity. Lou Holts was also great at this. This has been a reoccurring issue with the current staff although Iím glad weíre seeing Mayer and Tyree being used.
                  Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
                    Someone already said this, but there is no reason you can;t give him or Watts 3 routes each and call it a day. Also may be your playbook is too complex. It is football not rocket science.
                    Read the post before yours. Have to know the playbook in case an audible has to be called.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                      Well its not as if thinking that is possible is really unreasonable. BKs dog house has hurt us in the past for example in the Georgia game in 2017 with refusing to give Williams 5 or so carries. Or Williams last season.
                      And if williams came in that game fumbles or blows a block and gets the qb killed for season then what?

They play who they play for a reason and talent isn't the sole reason. Trust is a huge part of that decision process, and trust is built in practice and off the field.

I think it deserves mention here that they finally decided to play Johnson and he immediately gets a 15 yarder for punching a guy.
                      Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                        This has nothing to do with egoís or thinking weíre better then the coaches. This has everything to do with how other elite programs operate. They get their athletes ready and on the field. Clemson for the last couple of years plays upward to 6-8 receivers a gam and not just during scrub time. Same with Ohio State. Itís not saying that JJ or Watts should start. Itís saying they are athletes and they need to get on the field in some capacity. Lou Holts was also great at this. This has been a reoccurring issue with the current staff although Iím glad weíre seeing Mayer and Tyree being used.
                        Or maybe their athletes are better and that's why they are elite. Or maybe their athletes have less off field demands allowing them to be more prepared.
                        Prehistoric

Comment

Or maybe their athletes are better and that's why they are elite. Or maybe their athletes have less off field demands allowing them to be more prepared.
                          Iíll take B for 1000. I cannot believe that people still have to explain that being a Freshman Student Athlete at ND is radically different than at say Clemson. Itís the deadest of dead horses.

Comment

• Listen

Throw out Lenzy, MM, JJ, and Austin

.Theres no way they drop more passes than I saw last week.

And theyre studs.
                            off we go. Go Irish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluto View Post
                              Iíll take B for 1000. I cannot believe that people still have to explain that being a Freshman Student Athlete at ND is radically different than at say Clemson. Itís the deadest of dead horses.

Blah Blah Blah.

Get them in there. We're living under a COVID year and playing in a conference.

Fuck it.

Give it hell.

(big fan bluto)

Comment

Or maybe theyíre better coaches
                                Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluto View Post
                                  Add to it that teams like Clemson push hard for their recruits to enroll early. This season's Clemson team had 15 freshman on campus in the spring and that's pretty consistent with other programs.

Comment

• On the same narrative, watching Game Day. They just talked about ND/Pitt.

Pretty much said ND isn't a top 5 team, and the passing game needs to improve.

Herb said something like "Book is fine, they need to develop the young WRs"......

Comment

• Originally posted by NDohio View Post
                                      Add to it that teams like Clemson push hard for their recruits to enroll early. This season's Clemson team had 15 freshman on campus in the spring and that's pretty consistent with other programs.
                                      It's easy when they don't have foreign language requirements...

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                        It's easy when they don't have foreign language requirements...
                                        Need MORE German players...

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                          Need MORE German players...
                                          Sampson is reporting Johnson is not on the field for warmups

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
                                            Canít wait to see Pelini getting reps at WR today.
                                            "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
                                              He prolly zigged off the bus when he should have zagged. See ya in 2023. #traits

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                He prolly zigged off the bus when he should have zagged. See ya in 2023. #traits

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
                                                Cigarettes are bad for you.
                                                "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• They might have no choice but to play him now due to all these injuries

Comment

• How do we explain to recruits that even at 45-3 we wont get you involved but we still want you to come here? Its great recruiting given that self inflicted situation.

Comment

How do we explain to recruits that even at 45-3 we wont get you involved but we still want you to come here? Its great recruiting given that self inflicted situation.

He didn’t make the trip. If the game was at home I’m sure he would have made the trip. Remember you can only bring what like 57 guys on a road trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How do we explain to recruits that even at 45-3 we wont get you involved but we still want you to come here? Its great recruiting given that self inflicted situation.
                                                        didn't travel with team

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                          He didn’t make the trip. If the game was at home I’m sure he would have made the trip. Remember you can only bring what like 57 guys on a road trip?

To me that is weird seeing as how unestablished the WR pecking order is.
                                                          Maybe he is out with something. Did Watt make the trip?

Comment

To me that is weird seeing as how unestablished the WR pecking order is.
                                                            Maybe he is out with something. Did Watt make the trip?
                                                            Someone suggested based on verbiage from one of the pay sites, that it sounded like behavioral issue. Nothing concrete, just the way it was positioned, and that we may not see him for a while....

Comment

• Whenever we sign a kid that i'm surprised wants to go to ND there's almost always issues.

Davaris Daniels
                                                              Aaron Lynch
                                                              Davonte Neal
                                                              Deontay Greenberry (Didn't make it to campus)
                                                              Tee Shepard (Didn't make it to campus)
                                                              Greg Bryant
                                                              Dexter Williams
                                                              Javon McKinley
                                                              Kevin Austin

Some of these guys figured it out later on but these type of borderline guys panning out are part of what separate Bama & Georgia from ND.

Comment

Someone suggested based on verbiage from one of the pay sites, that it sounded like behavioral issue. Nothing concrete, just the way it was positioned, and that we may not see him for a while....
                                                                Oh, of course.
                                                                If I was a recruit for next year I would want to know details of Austin last year and JJ this year. BK just hates talent.

Comment

Oh, of course.
                                                                  If I was a recruit for next year I would want to know details of Austin last year and JJ this year. BK just hates talent.
                                                                  As Mayer dominated today....

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                                    Whenever we sign a kid that i'm surprised wants to go to ND there's almost always issues.

Davaris Daniels
                                                                    Aaron Lynch
                                                                    Davonte Neal
                                                                    Greg Bryant
                                                                    Dexter Williams
                                                                    Javon McKinley
                                                                    Kevin Austin

Some of these guys figured it out later on but these type of borderline guys panning out are part of what separate Bama & Georgia from ND.

Tee Shepard actually did make it to campus for a few weeks...

Comment

Oh, of course.
                                                                      he seems to like Williams, Tyree, and Mayer.

Comment

He dog-housed Williams last year after one play even though the media was raving about him in the pre season and clearly based off this year is a lot better than everyone who was playing ahead of him last year.

Comment

He dog-housed Williams last year after one play even though the media was raving about him in the pre season and clearly based off this year is a lot better than everyone who was playing ahead of him last year.
                                                                          I thought that was Long, not BK

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                            I thought that was Long, not BK

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk
                                                                            I don't know, I remember a furious look on BKs face when KW dropped the pass.

Comment

I don't know, I remember a furious look on BKs face when KW dropped the pass.
                                                                              I mean, a freshman running back drops a pass in a big game against a top opponent. What HC wouldnít be red-faced? The OC trusted him enough to put him into the game with that personnel grouping and he didnít perform. If Iím the HC I react the same way. The fact that he never got a shot at redemption is on Chip.

Comment

• Originally posted by MacIrish75 View Post
                                                                                I mean, a freshman running back drops a pass in a big game against a top opponent. What HC wouldnít be red-faced? The OC trusted him enough to put him into the game with that personnel grouping and he didnít perform. If Iím the HC I react the same way. The fact that he never got a shot at redemption is on Chip.
                                                                                I thought Brian Kelly was the head coach last year.

Comment

Back to this. The complaint as I see it is that Kelly wrongly expects freshmen (though not seniors) to be close to perfect. Probably Mayer is close to perfect and Tyree maybe is as well.

Comment

I thought Brian Kelly was the head coach last year.
                                                                                    You would be correct. However, depending on the level of autonomy the HC gives the OC, BK may not have been dictating the personnel groupings on a possession-by-possession basis. It was Chipís offense last year for the most part, at least through a majority of the season.

Comment

• There seems to be a bit of revisionist history re: Kyren.

He wasn't permanently benched just because of the drop. He had work to do with the weight room. He packed on to much weight prior to his freshman year and looked noticeably slower and there were reports of him going down pretty easily.

He needed to trim down and get back his explosiveness and agility. He looks very noticeably different now compared to what he did last year.
                                                                                      It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                                                                        There seems to be a bit of revisionist history re: Kyren.

He wasn't permanently benched just because of the drop. He had work to do with the weight room. He packed on to much weight prior to his freshman year and looked noticeably slower and there were reports of him going down pretty easily.

He needed to trim down and get back his explosiveness and agility. He looks very noticeably different now compared to what he did last year.
                                                                                        This is accurate. Watch the spring game from 2019. Kyren has a small gut and zero definition.

Comment

Whenever we sign a kid that i'm surprised wants to go to ND there's almost always issues.

Davaris Daniels
                                                                                          Aaron Lynch
                                                                                          Davonte Neal
                                                                                          Greg Bryant
                                                                                          Dexter Williams
                                                                                          Javon McKinley
                                                                                          Kevin Austin

Other than Dexter, that list is depressing. And even he left a lot on the table.
                                                                                          2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• I looked it up, JJ is the only skill player (apart from Demond Demas) in the 247 top 50 who isn't playing.

Comment

Davaris Daniels
                                                                                              Aaron Lynch
                                                                                              Davonte Neal
                                                                                              Greg Bryant
                                                                                              Dexter Williams
                                                                                              Javon McKinley
                                                                                              Kevin Austin

Originally posted by Junkhead View Post
                                                                                              Other than Dexter, that list is depressing. And even he left a lot on the table.
                                                                                              It is, but the list is also kind of arbitrary. Why is Javon McKinley on it but not Daelin Hayes? What about Chris Tyree? He also had doubt and skepticism if he would ultimately end up here. The first half of the list seems like a list of people who decommited/recommitted while the second half just seems like high profile players who didnít pan out.
                                                                                              .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                                                                                                It is, but the list is also kind of arbitrary. Why is Javon McKinley on it but not Daelin Hayes? What about Chris Tyree? He also had doubt and skepticism if he would ultimately end up here. The first half of the list seems like a list of people who decommited/recommitted while the second half just seems like high profile players who didnít pan out.
                                                                                                No set criteria, just the vibe that I got from the recruit's interviews, social media, and other schools they considered when we were recruiting them. Tyree and Daelin especially seemed like "RKGs" to me at least. Max Redfield is an example of a guy that I thought was a great fit, RKG, etc... and still busted. Still don't understand that one.

Comment

• You can add Alize to the list. Why is it always offensive players?

Comment

Oh, of course.
                                                                                                    Nominate for dumbest post of the year

Comment

• This happens every year and people still get surprised by it. Spoiler alert, don't be surprised when Colzie doesn't get many snaps next year

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X