Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'20 MO WR Jordan Johnson (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeauBenken
    replied
    Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
    So we (outside the Gug) somehow know that Phil J had attitude and work ethic issues and JJ has off field issues...interesting.

Your thought process with BK and the staff doesn't really line up with what those of us who are somewhat critical are saying.
    To be fair, these are things that have been reported. And Phil practically admitted that he was not mentally/emotionally invested at ND.

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
    This Phil J stuff man. Unreal. Like he's lighting the world on fire at BC. Let's supplant the career 24-3 starter for an unknown commodity with apparent rapport, work ethic and attitude issues with the coaching staff because he had a really good HS recruit ranking. Mind-boggling.
    So we (outside the Gug) somehow know that Phil J had attitude and work ethic issues and JJ has off field issues...interesting.

Your thought process with BK and the staff doesn't really line up with what those of us who are somewhat critical are saying.

Leave a comment:

• texbender
    replied
    Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
    Im relieved to hear this as last week I chalked it up to another top 10 threat just not panning out at ND.. again.

Im excited about this team, especially the D.. If JJ can even create a slight bit more pressure on the D it will pay back 10 fold on our drives.. We need this kid to max out on potential.
    Agree, having JJ on the field can only help the offense. Our receiver corps isn't loaded with AA talent, glad to see CBK will let this kid have a go.

Leave a comment:

• Who'saWildManNow
    replied
    Originally posted by Huntr View Post
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly states WR Jordan Johnson was brought up to varsity this week as heís improved things away from The Gug. <br><br>ďItís never been about ability.Ē</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1321845279038066688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 29, 2020</a></blockquote>
    Im relieved to hear this as last week I chalked it up to another top 10 threat just not panning out at ND.. again.

Im excited about this team, especially the D.. If JJ can even create a slight bit more pressure on the D it will pay back 10 fold on our drives.. We need this kid to max out on potential.

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post
    Rhema McKnight led the team in receiving in Ty's last two years. Arnaz Battle also did I believe.
    He was so underrated, feel like he got overshadowed a bit by Shark's emergence and his injury in '05; FIFTEEN TD's in '06. That's a big number.
    Yeah, that injury was horrible timing, but it did lead to the Shark emerging as a big time player. I thought Rhema was better than Stovall, he was one of my favorites during the Weis era.

Leave a comment:

• snoopdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    Without being privy to what is going on behind the scenes I find it hard to question the decisions by BK and the staff. BK wants to win a NC as much as anyone else, so one would think he will play the best players if they are ready physically, academically and mentally.

As mentioned, he's playing Mayer & Tyree and he played Adams as a freshman. IIRC Morgan took a back seat to Schmidt because he had trouble with the playbook. Didn't Claypool come from a school that didn't play 11 on 11? There's got to be a learning curve there.

It's good Johnson is getting a chance to acclimate to game conditions this week and not next week.
    Claypool came from a school that played 12 on 12. Which for you math dullards is 1 better. That is the reason why Claypool is so good.

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied
    This Phil J stuff man. Unreal. Like he's lighting the world on fire at BC. Let's supplant the career 24-3 starter for an unknown commodity with apparent rapport, work ethic and attitude issues with the coaching staff because he had a really good HS recruit ranking. Mind-boggling.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    the other thing to is IF you don't learn to get your studies in order, practice right and learn the playbook, how can they reward you with playing time???? that's how you build a culture for a team

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by 317Irish View Post
    I get the point that you and some others are making, but I think thereís some head-scratching decisions over the years that just leave a lot of fans wondering why the other powerhouses find a way to make it work but we donít. Nyles Morgan riding the bench because Joe Schmidtís mind was too valuable. Cam McDaniel being our STARTING RB. Not finding a way to get use out of Jurkovec, or keeping some of the talented receivers around. Even Claypool seemed to be held back for whatever reason. Recruit talent, find a way to play said talent as soon and as much as possible. Thatís what the goal should be
    Without being privy to what is going on behind the scenes I find it hard to question the decisions by BK and the staff. BK wants to win a NC as much as anyone else, so one would think he will play the best players if they are ready physically, academically and mentally.

As mentioned, he's playing Mayer & Tyree and he played Adams as a freshman. IIRC Morgan took a back seat to Schmidt because he had trouble with the playbook. Didn't Claypool come from a school that didn't play 11 on 11? There's got to be a learning curve there.

It's good Johnson is getting a chance to acclimate to game conditions this week and not next week.

Leave a comment:

• BeauBenken
    replied
    BK also mentioned that whether this translates to significant playing time is unsure. I think he just said "we'll see". So take that with a grain of salt.

He also said that Johnson is currently better out of the X than the W because he can get a free release, and they think he may struggle if not given that ability.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly states WR Jordan Johnson was brought up to varsity this week as he’s improved things away from The Gug. <br><br>“It’s never been about ability.”</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1321845279038066688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 29, 2020</a></blockquote>

Leave a comment:

• 317Irish
    replied
    I couldn't agree more. I think 99% of fans on this board have been frustrated with the WR production heading into Pitt, but to act like the coaches aren't playing guys who could help for no good reason is just asinine. It's people making assumptions when they don't have a single spec of detail to formulate that opinion.

Sure enough, the news broke that he did in fact have issues academically, which many of us figured was a likely scenario when the classic BK "traits" was mentioned. If you want to blame someone, you blame ND and the academic standards, not BK. If anything, he has demonstrated a tremendous effort in the latter half of his tenure here to find highly skilled football players that, for the most part, meat ND's above and beyond character expectations compared to other teams. He deserves a lot of credit.

It also blows my mind that they say "we don't play freshman." Tyree and Mayer are doing a great job. Hamilton came in last year and balled out. Don't give me that, it's flat our wrong. You have academic and character expectations here and if you don't meet them, you don't play. period. If you don't like it, I hate to break it to you, but you're rooting for the wrong university.
    I get the point that you and some others are making, but I think there’s some head-scratching decisions over the years that just leave a lot of fans wondering why the other powerhouses find a way to make it work but we don’t. Nyles Morgan riding the bench because Joe Schmidt’s mind was too valuable. Cam McDaniel being our STARTING RB. Not finding a way to get use out of Jurkovec, or keeping some of the talented receivers around. Even Claypool seemed to be held back for whatever reason. Recruit talent, find a way to play said talent as soon and as much as possible. That’s what the goal should be

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    BK realizes that if they line up with McKinley and Skowronek against Clemson they'll lose 30-3 again. Encouraging.

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
    it's my biggest gripe with fans on here, but especially on facebook/twitter....fans are not privy to everything that goes on behind the scenes...we have a 5* wr(actually ended up as 4* i think) and of course he is our best option at wr according to these fans....do you not think BK would be playing him if he felt he would better our team? the kid played in a run dominant high school program..he wasn't some kid lighting it up at different camps every weekend, or posting some crazy stats or measurables.....the kids time will come...look at lenzy...as much as we wanted him to play, he even admitted finally he wasn't anywhere ready to play his freshman year....for all of the people too saying well he could just run a go route...well no shit he can but what if they have to check out of the play and he doesn't know what the new call is??? burn a time out? i mean there is so much more than just running a damn route
    I couldn't agree more. I think 99% of fans on this board have been frustrated with the WR production heading into Pitt, but to act like the coaches aren't playing guys who could help for no good reason is just asinine. It's people making assumptions when they don't have a single spec of detail to formulate that opinion.

Sure enough, the news broke that he did in fact have issues academically, which many of us figured was a likely scenario when the classic BK "traits" was mentioned. If you want to blame someone, you blame ND and the academic standards, not BK. If anything, he has demonstrated a tremendous effort in the latter half of his tenure here to find highly skilled football players that, for the most part, meat ND's above and beyond character expectations compared to other teams. He deserves a lot of credit.

It also blows my mind that they say "we don't play freshman." Tyree and Mayer are doing a great job. Hamilton came in last year and balled out. Don't give me that, it's flat our wrong. You have academic and character expectations here and if you don't meet them, you don't play. period. If you don't like it, I hate to break it to you, but you're rooting for the wrong university.

Leave a comment:

• RDU Irish
    replied
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Kelly states WR Jordan Johnson was brought up to varsity this week as heís improved things away from The Gug. <br><br>ďItís never been about ability.Ē</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1321845279038066688?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 29, 2020</a></blockquote>
    Again - not a problem at factories. Argument can also be made that a taste of success on the field could help motivate in the classroom.

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post
    Coincidentally he gets his off-field act together at the time of biggest need on-field. Weird how those things work.
    Maybe the weekend he spent on campus last week instead of traveling with the team got him back on track....that's a lot of free time to be focusing on your grades.

Leave a comment:

• InKellyWeTrust
    replied
    Coincidentally he gets his off-field act together at the time of biggest need on-field. Weird how those things work.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    Let the young man play. Other teams do it! If he isn't ready academically, we should lower our academic standards so the Freshman can play. Other schools do it! It's coaches fault, he should be tutoring him in his free time to ensure he is making the grades. What are we paying him for anyways
    it's my biggest gripe with fans on here, but especially on facebook/twitter....fans are not privy to everything that goes on behind the scenes...we have a 5* wr(actually ended up as 4* i think) and of course he is our best option at wr according to these fans....do you not think BK would be playing him if he felt he would better our team? the kid played in a run dominant high school program..he wasn't some kid lighting it up at different camps every weekend, or posting some crazy stats or measurables.....the kids time will come...look at lenzy...as much as we wanted him to play, he even admitted finally he wasn't anywhere ready to play his freshman year....for all of the people too saying well he could just run a go route...well no shit he can but what if they have to check out of the play and he doesn't know what the new call is??? burn a time out? i mean there is so much more than just running a damn route
    Last edited by PANDFAN; 10-29-2020, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
    come on now, the mouth breathers on this site know he is our best option at wr....geez how the hell did BK ever get hired to coach a div 1 team
    Let the young man play. Other teams do it! If he isn't ready academically, we should lower our academic standards so the Freshman can play. Other schools do it! It's coaches fault, he should be tutoring him in his free time to ensure he is making the grades. What are we paying him for anyways

Leave a comment:

• pumpdog20
    replied
    I could never survive at ND academically (laughable to think I could ever get accepted). To think that these guys succeed academically and perform under the pressure of ND football, man total props.

No disappointment in my eyes if a guy struggles early on.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
    Sounds to me that maybe JJ is having trouble adjusting to academics plus football. If he needs extra time in school it seems learning the playbook should and has taken a back seat.
    come on now, the mouth breathers on this site know he is our best option at wr....geez how the hell did BK ever get hired to coach a div 1 team

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    Sounds to me that maybe JJ is having trouble adjusting to academics plus football. If he needs extra time in school it seems learning the playbook should and has taken a back seat.

Leave a comment:

• Huntr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post
    Rhema McKnight led the team in receiving in Ty's last two years. Arnaz Battle also did I believe.
    He was so underrated, feel like he got overshadowed a bit by Shark's emergence and his injury in '05; FIFTEEN TD's in '06. That's a big number.

Leave a comment:

• Irish du Nord
    replied
    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
    I wish JJ was 6-3. It's the magical # at ND. In the passing era at ND, who has led the team in receiving that wasn't 6-3? Golden, Fuller and TJ Jones one year I think.

It's ruined McKinley & Austin's careers.

It also guarantees Skowronek leads the team in receiving this year despite his hammy injury.

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    Time and patience....once things fall in place we will see JJ more.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Before you guys break your necks doing backflips, you might want to temper the enthusiasm a little. He may get to play this week, but his impact probably isn't going to be as great as you would like.
    Is ACamps's mom aware?
    You think Acamp and I are

<iframe width="500" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X0DeIqJm4vM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Irish YJ; 10-28-2020, 11:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
    IDK, it only took Skow a few nice grabs last week for me to fall in love.
    Is ACamps's mom aware?

Leave a comment:

• BobbyMac
    replied
    I wish JJ was 6-3. It's the magical # at ND. In the passing era at ND, who has led the team in receiving that wasn't 6-3? Golden, Fuller and TJ Jones one year I think.

It's ruined McKinley & Austin's careers.

It also guarantees Skowronek leads the team in receiving this year despite his hammy injury.

Leave a comment:

• Irishize
    replied
    Originally posted by tko View Post
    I think freshmen are all over the map. There's a lot to adjust to in year one, especially with all the covid crap. Maybe he's been battling with the whole picture, class, time management, taking care of mind and body, how to be consistent, the playbook, and finding his game. Now with injuries, he's saying to himself let's go, time to become a big boy. I'm sure Javon and others will continue to be mentors and leaders around him. Hopefully we see a young kid's light turn on and he never looks back. Bring it JJ.

Anyone have reports on Xavier Watts? Maybe he's in a similar type of situation.
    Thatís what gets lost in translation when Irish fans complain ďHow come all the other powerhouses can get freshmen on the field but ND canít?Ē The Irish Illustrated guys were talking about the night/day difference of a freshman transitioning from HS to an ND culture/classload vs a freshman transitioning from HS to an SEC/ACC factory. Said itís real and holds a lot of freshmen back.

As far as Watts, he sounds like he wouldnít bring that speed to the field that we lost w/ Lenzy & Austin. Heard heís a helluva athlete and can catch anything but lacks the breakaway speed that JJ offers. Sounds like a TJ Jones kind of WR which would be great based on TJís production in four years at ND.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Before you guys break your necks doing backflips, you might want to temper the enthusiasm a little. He may get to play this week, but his impact probably isn't going to be as great as you would like.
    IDK, it only took Skow a few nice grabs last week for me to fall in love.

Leave a comment:

• FightingIrishLover7
    replied
    Originally posted by tko View Post
    I think freshmen are all over the map. There's a lot to adjust to in year one, especially with all the covid crap. Maybe he's been battling with the whole picture, class, time management, taking care of mind and body, how to be consistent, the playbook, and finding his game. Now with injuries, he's saying to himself let's go, time to become a big boy. I'm sure Javon and others will continue to be mentors and leaders around him. Hopefully we see a young kid's light turn on and he never looks back. Bring it JJ.

Haven't heard anything too specific about Watts, other than he's in the mix.

But the fact he travelled with the team tells me that he must be knocking on play time's door.
    *edit* just remembered Lawrence is coming back to full time soon, so maybe not too close to playing yet**

Leave a comment:

• tko
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    exactly. making a couple catches in practice with the big boys doesnt mean instant stardom.

on the other hand - if he does ball out it doesnt necessarily mean he should have been playing all along either.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IrishFanJMercy
    replied
    Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
    Based on?
    Based on our WRís getting zero separation this year. You will need speed against Clemson

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
    We are gonna need him against Clemson
    Based on?

Leave a comment:

• Wild Bill
    replied
    Alright so we all know to temper our enthusiasm about JJ even seeing the field right?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• T-Boone
    replied
    Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
    If only he kept up with the live game threads
    I thought the game thread was fed to the jumbotron so everyone at the ground gets to follow.
    Last edited by T-Boone; 10-28-2020, 12:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IrishFanJMercy
    replied
    We are gonna need him against Clemson

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Balki
    replied
    Alright so we all know to temper our enthusiasm about JJ even seeing the field right? From wanting McKinley to become a #1 pass catcher, to finally seeing Lenzy take the field and expecting him to make some plays, to finally seeing Austin take the field and expecting him to make some plays... it just feels like as soon as we expect JJ to help us then ___ will limit him. We get what we get and we donít throw a fit alright...
    Yeah good luck with that.

Leave a comment:

• Irishnuke
    replied
    Originally posted by KPENN View Post
    So.. BK reads IE?
    Heís won zero national championships at ND so obviously not.

Leave a comment:

• Henges24
    replied
    Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
    NO HE DOESN'T THAT'S THE WHOLE PROBLEM!!1!
    If only he kept up with the live game threads

Leave a comment:

• TheRealLynch51
    replied
    Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
    Do you think BK will let Jordan play if we all loan him our collective "traits?" Just for the Clemson game?

Leave a comment:

• Rack Em
    replied
    Originally posted by KPENN View Post
    So.. BK reads IE?

Leave a comment:

• KPENN
    replied
    So.. BK reads IE?

Leave a comment:

• 317Irish
    replied
    Alright so we all know to temper our enthusiasm about JJ even seeing the field right? From wanting McKinley to become a #1 pass catcher, to finally seeing Lenzy take the field and expecting him to make some plays, to finally seeing Austin take the field and expecting him to make some plays... it just feels like as soon as we expect JJ to help us then ___ will limit him. We get what we get and we don’t throw a fit alright...

Leave a comment:

• Ndaccountant
    replied
    Let's see what happens on Saturday. I hope he flashes, we need someone to step up to continue to expand the passing game.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Of all the many ways that ND football can humble a man, this is probably the most pleasant.
    Everyone has to be happy when a player starts balling in a time of need.

Now, if Book can just recreate that practice magic in games for the next two weeks.... lol

Leave a comment:

• Whiskeyjack
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
    I seriously can't believe I just went on a rant about how he's on the scout team and not doing a damn thing in practice...

...and apparently he got moved up to the real squad this week and is torching people.
    Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
    Regardless, glad he's balling in practice. We certainly need it.
    Of all the many ways that ND football can humble a man, this is probably the most pleasant.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X