Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'20 MO WR Jordan Johnson (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
    Marvin Harrison had Peyton Manning.
    Touche'

    Being a Colts fan and watching pretty much every game Harrison ever played, Peyton benefited as much from having Harrison as Harrison did from having Manning.
    Harrison is #9 in all time yards. If he had played one more year, it's conceivable he would have finished in the top 5. Held the record for most catches in a season for 17 years. I believe he is #2 for most yards in a season. You have to be pretty good to get those numbers when you had a legitimate #1 receiver in Reggie Wayne on the opposite side of the field.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
      Yeah it concerned me too. It's a lot harder to be a #1 WR at 6'0 than 6'2.
      Golden Tate is 5'10" and he did alright in college.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
        People's fascination with physical measurables is pretty funny.

        There are countless smaller receivers in both college and NFL that have been very productive as a #1 receiver.
        Yep, they're called the exception, not the rule. Let's not pretend like measurables aren't significant. That said, it's not like this dude is a dwarf.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
          Hes special. This is the guy we never get from the SEC. watch what happens the next few years.

          <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Whoa... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a> signee Jordan Johnson (<a href="https://twitter.com/jjohnsonj1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@jjohnsonj1</a>) made this one-handed catch over Stanford signee Ayden Hector look easy. <a href="https://t.co/LrskSDC5Ls">pic.twitter.com/LrskSDC5Ls</a></p>&mdash; Carter Karels (@CarterKarels) <a href="https://twitter.com/CarterKarels/status/1212464411522326528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

          Funnier than you in 2012.

          Comment


          • One of the top performers at today’s AA practice.

            Comment


            • Haven't seen him in the game so far..is he playing?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by tom prendergast View Post
                Haven't seen him in the game so far..is he playing?
                Caught a 15 yard pass at the end of the half. Just prior to the INT. First time I noticed him.
                "Fvck Michigan" - The World

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
                  Caught a 15 yard pass at the end of the half. Just prior to the INT. First time I noticed him.
                  Think he had 2 catches for 30 yards. 2nd catch showed great hands, athleticism & reaction to the ball.

                  Comment


                  • Kept his 5* status but dropped three spots to #28
                    Love Thee Notre Dame!

                    Comment


                    • Up 2 spots to #61.
                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                      Comment


                      • This guy deserves a better #
                        Prehistoric

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                          This guy deserves a better #
                          #15?

                          Maybe he was Brandon Marshall fan?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                            #15?

                            Maybe he was Brandon Marshall fan?
                            He was #1 in HS which we know doesn't get worn at ND.looks like he chose #11 at the all star circuit, but Skowronek snagged that. He may have not had many options.
                            Prehistoric

                            Comment


                            • Traits

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                Traits
                                Smacking a man down the field?

                                #doghoused

                                Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

                                Comment


                                • See you in 2022 (for a year) JJ

                                  Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                    See you in 2022 (for a year) JJ

                                    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                                    Lol BK said at halftime we arent gonna be nice guys tho
                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                      Lol BK said at halftime we arent gonna be nice guys tho
                                      Bothelo and Eherensberger took that to heart...mercy. They played like USF pissed in their cereal this morning.
                                      The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

                                      Comment


                                      • Really glad he was back in the game after his penalty.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                          Bothelo and Eherensberger took that to heart...mercy. They played like USF pissed in their cereal this morning.
                                          Loved seeing both. Botelho was always legit to me, but Alex took a couple steps of the legit ladder yesterday. He's still a wildcard to me a bit, but much more realistic now. Botelho just looks like he'll be a guy who plays mad.
                                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by NDohio View Post
                                            Really glad he was back in the game after his penalty.
                                            He played yesterday?

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by NCND View Post
                                              He played yesterday?
                                              He was #15 who got a personal foul penalty. DB got physical with him and JJ retaliated and kept it up beyond the whistle. Got pulled immediately and a classic BK stern talking-to on the sidelines.

                                              I wasn't aware he got back out there though, so glad to hear that.

                                              But as previously mentioned, not a great look when Bk already said in a recent presser that he needs to show better "traits" then goes out and gets a 15 yard infraction. Need someone to step up outside but it looks like this won't be JJ's year to prove himself.
                                              My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
                                                He was #15 who got a personal foul penalty. DB got physical with him and JJ retaliated and kept it up beyond the whistle. Got pulled immediately and a classic BK stern talking-to on the sidelines.

                                                I wasn't aware he got back out there though, so glad to hear that.

                                                But as previously mentioned, not a great look when Bk already said in a recent presser that he needs to show better "traits" then goes out and gets a 15 yard infraction. Need someone to step up outside but it looks like this won't be JJ's year to prove himself.
                                                ND was penalty free until that point too.
                                                What did Davonte do?

                                                Comment


                                                • Maybe JJ was confused by BK's halftime speech \_(ツ)_/

                                                  Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                    Maybe JJ was confused by BK's halftime speech \_(ツ)_/

                                                    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
                                                    Can't have it both ways. You do or don't want to be Mr. Nice guy?

                                                    Comment


                                                    • I wasn't watching super closely, but I dont recall hearing his name at all.

                                                      Can we get this dude on the field and involved a bit? Loved the big energy from him getting that 15 yard oenalty last time out.
                                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                        I wasn't watching super closely, but I dont recall hearing his name at all.

                                                        Can we get this dude on the field and involved a bit? Loved the big energy from him getting that 15 yard oenalty last time out.
                                                        He's getting the Kyren Williams treatment after that misconduct penalty. Good news is he's set for a breakout year next year at least!

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Interesting tidbit on II podcast from Pete Sampson via the Gug. Said the reason Johnson hasn't featured much is because he's having "issues learning the playbook"
                                                          What did Davonte do?

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Yeah I heard that the other day. Curious

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                              Interesting tidbit on II podcast from Pete Sampson via the Gug. Said the reason Johnson hasn't featured much is because he's having "issues learning the playbook"
                                                              holy shit! so maybe the coaches know more than a bunch of people on ie/facebook/twitter/other message boards
                                                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Seems like an excuse to keep him off the field because he's not ready to compete IMO. If he was that good right now, you'd figure a way to get him 5-10 routes a game.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                                                  Seems like an excuse to keep him off the field because he's not ready to compete IMO. If he was that good right now, you'd figure a way to get him 5-10 routes a game.
                                                                  II podcast talked about this alot but i agree with them, the priority right now is to get McKinley and Showronek off the field and get Kevin Austin and Braden Lenzy on. Once you have them getting open and catching passes you can work about Jordan Johnson, Xavier Watts etc..
                                                                  What did Davonte do?

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • people also need to remember he played in a run dominant system in high school....his * status was based on his projection due to his measurables and athleticism
                                                                    EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                      people also need to remember he played in a run dominant system in high school....his * status was based on his projection due to his measurables and athleticism
                                                                      So you’re saying we should be able to put him out there and rely on his run-blocking? Now I really don’t understand why he’s not on the field ��

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • hes not on the field because the coaching staff deemed him not ready to be on the field, not sure why anything else really matters
                                                                        Prehistoric

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                          Interesting tidbit on II podcast from Pete Sampson via the Gug. Said the reason Johnson hasn't featured much is because he's having "issues learning the playbook"
                                                                          IIRC, this was why Golden Tate didnt see as much playing time in that depressing 2007 season. I remember when they put him in the Purdue game (I think score was already out of hand) and he just ran a Go route and Evan Sharpley threw it up where Golden made a beautiful catch. You knew hed be special right away but the knock was he was still learning the playbook.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                            IIRC, this was why Golden Tate didnt see as much playing time in that depressing 2007 season. I remember when they put him in the Purdue game (I think score was already out of hand) and he just ran a Go route and Evan Sharpley threw it up where Golden made a beautiful catch. You knew hed be special right away but the knock was he was still learning the playbook.
                                                                            I'm always happy to see young speedsters run occasional 9 routes. If they can blow the top off a D, they can be useful in situational downs regardless of their playbook deficiencies.
                                                                            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                              IIRC, this was why Golden Tate didnt see as much playing time in that depressing 2007 season. I remember when they put him in the Purdue game (I think score was already out of hand) and he just ran a Go route and Evan Sharpley threw it up where Golden made a beautiful catch. You knew hed be special right away but the knock was he was still learning the playbook.
                                                                              People throw this out there like there is no downside. What if the defense shows a look that makes the route JJ was supposed to run a poor option and Ian has to check at the line? You just waste a play? Or have a guy like Austin, Lenzy, Tremble, Skowronek out there and have the full playbook?

                                                                              I really like Johnson out of high school, but he's not a Marquise Brown, Jamarr Chase, or even Tee Higgins type that as 1 or 2 freakish gifts. He is really good at almost everything but will need to rely on good route running, a full arsenal of routes at his disposal and continue to add strength to pair with his solid top end speed to be a contributor early.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Someone already said this, but there is no reason you can;t give him or Watts 3 routes each and call it a day. Also may be your playbook is too complex. It is football not rocket science.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • I'm lost here.

                                                                                  If JJ/Watts etc were better than the upper classmen, don't you think they would be playing more? Kelly has proven before that he'll play fresh skill position players. Tyree and Mayer have already moved past guys, right now...

                                                                                  Sounds like we have some well-wishers.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • Originally posted by benneboy View Post
                                                                                    People throw this out there like there is no downside. What if the defense shows a look that makes the route JJ was supposed to run a poor option and Ian has to check at the line? You just waste a play? Or have a guy like Austin, Lenzy, Tremble, Skowronek out there and have the full playbook?

                                                                                    I really like Johnson out of high school, but he's not a Marquise Brown, Jamarr Chase, or even Tee Higgins type that as 1 or 2 freakish gifts. He is really good at almost everything but will need to rely on good route running, a full arsenal of routes at his disposal and continue to add strength to pair with his solid top end speed to be a contributor early.
                                                                                    To the bolded, I'm not saying that JJ is ready. I will say though that a lot of teams use route-poor athletes in their schemes regularly. IIRC, Ohio State has a long history of limited routes for specific guys or WR positions. It's why draft grading OSU WRs is difficult at times.
                                                                                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • I expect JJ to have more of an impact next year.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                                        To the bolded, I'm not saying that JJ is ready. I will say though that a lot of teams use route-poor athletes in their schemes regularly. IIRC, Ohio State has a long history of limited routes for specific guys or WR positions. It's why draft grading OSU WRs is difficult at times.
                                                                                        ND will do it for a guy that is handling his business the way he's supposed to.

                                                                                        Chris Brown was a skinny-post specialist in '12.

                                                                                        Fuller was a go-route specialist in '13, Robinson was a fade specialist.

                                                                                        Stepherson in '16 was basically the same as Brown/Fuller, with a bit more responsibility.

                                                                                        BK has no problem using young WR's with limited application... so that only leaves a few reasons for JJ to not be contributing right now, really.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                          ND will do it for a guy that is handling his business the way he's supposed to.

                                                                                          Chris Brown was a skinny-post specialist in '12.

                                                                                          Fuller was a go-route specialist in '13, Robinson was a fade specialist.

                                                                                          Stepherson in '16 was basically the same as Brown/Fuller, with a bit more responsibility.

                                                                                          BK has no problem using young WR's with limited application... so that only leaves a few reasons for JJ to not be contributing right now, really.
                                                                                          Great insight and points Lion. I think some of those guys were partly a product of scarcity too.

                                                                                          Brown, Stepherson, and Fuller were all burners too, right? And Rob was a big. Not sure if JJ is either a burner and isn't a big. Any idea what JJ or Watts's speed is?
                                                                                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                                            Great insight and points Lion. I think some of those guys were partly a product of scarcity too.

                                                                                            Brown, Stepherson, and Fuller were all burners too, right? And Rob was a big. Not sure if JJ is either a burner and isn't a big. Any idea what JJ or Watts's speed is?
                                                                                            jj-good speed not great
                                                                                            watts-quick twitch kid, good to great speed
                                                                                            EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                                              holy shit! so maybe the coaches know more than a bunch of people on ie/facebook/twitter/other message boards
                                                                                              Don't be silly.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • tbf the freshman "doghouse" seemed to put Claypool amongst others on a good path to becoming model pro's. Just got to wait and see with Austin, Johnson etc. Their best days might be beyond CFB
                                                                                                What did Davonte do?

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • No reason not to put a designed play or two in there for him to get the ball and see what he has. It's not going to stunt his growth, so why not?

                                                                                                  Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Claypool only got 5 catches as a freshman. If they had of gotten him more he might have been ready earlier and made a bigger contribution against Clemson in 18. I'd just get the high upside WRs involved straight away unless they are out like Austin was last year.
                                                                                                    If the WRs are going to be producing like they are now anyway then why not have a young high up side player in there.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Remember, we didn't have a real fall camp. It's extremely difficult with modified practices and no fall camp for freshmen to come in and truly push veterans for playing time.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X