Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'20 MO WR Jordan Johnson (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trait Expectations
    replied
    Originally posted by DONTH8 View Post
    When I heard the news obviously I was disappointed. I really don't like guys leaving the program, especially if the kid has potential to be great. I don't know why we are all banging the academics though.

I think we need to get A LOT better at developing WR's. Our best plays for receivers for 4 years now have been 1) go routes to taller guys (Claypool, Boykin, MvKinley), 2) Broken plays where we run around till coverage breaks down, 3) Curls, 4) The occasional post to split the safeties, 5) screen pass.

Our receiver development has been terribly mismanaged imo. They block well, which I love. But route running has been bad, and the route combos have been very unimaginative. Usually when we need yards we rely on TE drags. Del and Tommy haven't been impressive at getting that position firing on all cylinders, and I don't think it's the academics that is holding the position back. We need to work on our development and training of receivers desperately on offense, and then we need to diversify and become more clever with the play calling enough to give them a chance to succeed on the field.
    Last year, our best receivers available were McKinley and Skowronek with Davis sprinkled in. That's because our expected top-level receivers were hurt. Austin's foot and Lenzy's hamstring kept us from being able to add some more wrinkles to the playbook. I don't think Rees lacked the ability to add more "clever" elements last year, he did what he needed to do to maximize the teams potential.

I understands it's common for fanbases to look for the achilles heal of their program. I think one could argue we're not signing enough top-end talent but I believe the staff have developed/maximized the players they have.

Leave a comment:

• DONTH8
    replied
    When I heard the news obviously I was disappointed. I really don't like guys leaving the program, especially if the kid has potential to be great. I don't know why we are all banging the academics though.

I think we need to get A LOT better at developing WR's. Our best plays for receivers for 4 years now have been 1) go routes to taller guys (Claypool, Boykin, MvKinley), 2) Broken plays where we run around till coverage breaks down, 3) Curls, 4) The occasional post to split the safeties, 5) screen pass.

Our receiver development has been terribly mismanaged imo. They block well, which I love. But route running has been bad, and the route combos have been very unimaginative. Usually when we need yards we rely on TE drags. Del and Tommy haven't been impressive at getting that position firing on all cylinders, and I don't think it's the academics that is holding the position back. We need to work on our development and training of receivers desperately on offense, and then we need to diversify and become more clever with the play calling enough to give them a chance to succeed on the field.

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
    SMDH

Why can't we have nice things?

Do we think this increases a take at WR in this recruiting cycle?
    I think they were planning on WR numbers being higher than we expected. I think they're going to go for 3 WR's they like and possibly add a 4th or 5th if it's a guy that can play DB. They've already talked to Taylor Groves about the Cam Hart role and he loves that idea. Walker is another guy where his trainer actually thinks he has more upside as a DB so maybe that's a possibility with him as well. If they were to get Bradshaw, Williams, and Merriweather while also taking Walker and/or Groves. I think that'd be a hell of a haul with the potential for 2 of those guys to be DB's.

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    Will Watts stick around or he is another transfer?

Leave a comment:

• Trait Expectations
    replied
    I wish Jordan luck. He wasn't competing for real minutes at this point and if he's not fully bought in, it's likely best for both parties. I'm sure he'll land on his feet at a program that works for him and our WR room just got a little bit smaller.

At least we don't have to keep wondering if JJ will emerge though fall camp and the season. Now I'll start focusing on Lo Styles and Colzie and wondering if they'll be able to make an impact soon.

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    I am not surprised at all by JJ announcing to transfer. Seems to me like he had trouble academically. I think if he would've figured that out, he would've found PT as a key backup WR this year.

Like Dale said, give me Colzie!

Leave a comment:

• rtrn2glory
    replied
    SMDH

Why can't we have nice things?

Do we think this increases a take at WR in this recruiting cycle?
    Last edited by rtrn2glory; 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Unless most were keeping it to themselves I don’t see much of those not a fit sentiment shared pre-him showing up to campus. He went to the type of catholic academic school ND covets. The academic stuff popped up pretty quickly in the fall but seems a bit revisionist to question the fit from the beginning

where does everyone’s optimism shift now? Colzie for me

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
    This news would've ruined my day three years ago.

Now it's just another highly-rated WR that couldn't firmly grasp the 'traits,' or didn't want to wait to do so.

Not sure if I'm in a healthier place as a fan, or if I'm numb to losing the highly rated guys at this point.

Good luck, JJ.
    Thats always been the problem. How many 5* recruits have the acadmeic chops to make it at ND. We must sustain on high caliber 3 and 4* talent with th eoccansional diamonds in the rough.

Leave a comment:

• stpeteirish
    replied
    Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
    When he signed with ND I put a sub 50% chance he would graduate from the school. Players that don't seem to "fit" the ND mold rarely work out. Regardless, he hasn't flashed five star talent once since being at Notre Dame.

Good luck I guess
    I never saw anything to that effect; was it "non -public" info.? Websites that cover the team never seems to go there.

Leave a comment:

• Henges24
    replied
    This is a strange one. How good was/is he really? I honestly do not remember analysts being giddy about him during his recruitment, which I always found odd.

Leave a comment:

• NDIrish88
    replied
    I'm sad

Leave a comment:

• NDPhilly
    replied
    When he signed with ND I put a sub 50% chance he would graduate from the school. Players that don't seem to "fit" the ND mold rarely work out. Regardless, he hasn't flashed five star talent once since being at Notre Dame.

Good luck I guess

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post

Who are “these type players”?
    borderline academic takes

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

This is normal with these type players. ND gave him a chance and he just couldn’t keep up apparently. This is normal for ND anymore.
    Who are “these type players”?

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied
    Good luck to Jordan, will be rooting for him wherever he lands

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied

Leave a comment:

• irishff1014
    replied
    Originally posted by SoIll View Post

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14892...ces-transfer/1

ISD reporting he had work to do to be even able to play next year. Academics were an issue. They said he's a good kid and learned a bunch in his time here, but probably beneficial for both parties.
    This is normal with these type players. ND gave him a chance and he just couldn’t keep up apparently. This is normal for ND anymore.

Leave a comment:

• SoIll
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

Now it's just another highly-rated WR that couldn't firmly grasp the 'traits,' or didn't want to wait to do so.

Not sure if I'm in a healthier place as a fan, or if I'm numb to losing the highly rated guys at this point.

Good luck, JJ.
    https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14892...ces-transfer/1

ISD reporting he had work to do to be even able to play next year. Academics were an issue. They said he's a good kid and learned a bunch in his time here, but probably beneficial for both parties.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied

Good luck, JJ.

Leave a comment:

• FightingIrishLover7
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post
    Damn. I was expecting maybe later on but for him to hold through spring and summer at least
    He did hold through spring.
    But if he wants to play this fall, needs to make the move before summer camps.

Leave a comment:

• notredomer23
    replied
    Good luck to him. I hope he goes to Missouri or Illinois and kills it

Leave a comment:

• 317Irish
    replied
    Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
    I’m pretty conflicted because I want to root for him wherever he goes (Missouri?), but I’m also going to find it difficult watching our former near 5 star that somehow flamed out at ND go put up solid numbers and make it to the league via another team.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    It may not have been just football. It seemd like he might have been struggling acadmeically too. Maybe it was that and not actually football. Anyway. Good luck JJ.

Leave a comment:

• texbender
    replied
    Seems like this has been inevitable for some time. Hope it ends well for him.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Damn. I was expecting maybe later on but for him to hold through spring and summer at least

Leave a comment:

• SoIll
    replied
    before everyone freaks out and complains about the staff not getting him on the field, did anyone actually consider, maybe he's just not that good?

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    in fairness i would give him a little kudos for sticking it out through spring ball

Leave a comment:

• clashmore_mike
    replied

Leave a comment:

• clashmore_mike
    replied
    Welp, he's announced he will be entering the portal per ISD.

Leave a comment:

• FightingIrishLover7
    replied
    Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
    nah, he's just trying to give encouragement
    I agree. I was playing devils advocate.

JJ is going through a similar (but different) delayed start. Kyren is the perfect example of blessed are the patient...

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
    Can't tell if this is some brotherly MO love from Kyren.

Or, if there's smoke that he's trying to extinguish :////
    nah, he's just trying to give encouragement

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    ARE YOU SURE
    don't worry brah i'm gonna DM JJ a "Trust the Process yo" and all be fine

Leave a comment:

• FightingIrishLover7
    replied
    Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
    i feel like its a pat on the back from Kyren to JJ
    ARE YOU SURE

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied

i feel like its a pat on the back from Kyren to JJ

Leave a comment:

• FightingIrishLover7
    replied
    Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Keep trusting it, time will only tell.. <a href="https://twitter.com/jjohnsonj1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@jjohnsonj1</a> <a href="https://t.co/35ldsJ9zrj">https://t.co/35ldsJ9zrj</a></p>&mdash; Kyren Williams (@Kyrenwilliams23) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kyrenwilliams23/status/1336386806477180931?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Keep trusting it, time will only tell.. <a href="https://twitter.com/jjohnsonj1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@jjohnsonj1</a> <a href="https://t.co/35ldsJ9zrj">https://t.co/35ldsJ9zrj</a></p>&mdash; Kyren Williams (@Kyrenwilliams23) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kyrenwilliams23/status/1336386806477180931?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• Dizzyphil
    replied
    Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
    Our WR corps is gonna be SICK over the next few years

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I'm betting Pyne will be the one slinging it too.... IMO.

Leave a comment:

• ThePiombino
    replied
    Our WR corps is gonna be SICK over the next few years

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Purely my opinion, but simply his elevation off the PS, and the call out of him balling out in practice, may have been enough to wake the kid up.

While I don't necessarily like it that a kid needs stroked to change his work ethic or attitude, sometimes it can have a very positive effect.

Whatever the reason, I'm just glad things are clicking for him. While I'm very happy with our WRs stepping up, we're still missing the dynamic factor a bit. AD is certainly becoming more dynamic as the season progresses, but Javon is limited by his measurables, and Skow will always be the big possession guy. We need a few dynamic guys to step up when those 3 aren't enough.

Keys, Johnson, Wilkens, etc. could provide some different options for us.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
    It also helps that he's on the #2 team in the nation. But it sure looks and sounds like he's focused a bit more and adjusted more. I'm happy for him and looking forward to a breakout next year
    Much easier to stay engaged when you are on a team that's winning. Looking forward to seeing him make plays, whether that's this year or next year.

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
    It also helps that he's on the #2 team in the nation. But it sure looks and sounds like he's focused a bit more and adjusted more. I'm happy for him and looking forward to a breakout next year
    I agree with you, I think he is one that could have a breakout season next year. Patience will pay off for this young man.

Leave a comment:

• zelezo vlk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
    To his credit he appears to be having a great time even when he's not playing. I'm not seeing a lot of diva like is sometimes feared for 5 stars that don't get PT.
    Agreed, he was amongst the guys doing a coordinated dance, laughing and smiling. He also always seems hyped for Kyren whenever hes does well. Both being from MO and all.

Leave a comment:

• greyhammer90
    replied
    To his credit he appears to be having a great time even when he's not playing. I'm not seeing a lot of diva like is sometimes feared for 5 stars that don't get PT.

Leave a comment:

• Ndaccountant
    replied
    Good to see him playing some reps versus BC.

Leave a comment:

• 317Irish
    replied
    I just want to see a bubble screen or shallow cross with one of our TE’s coming from the opposite side to clear some room, where we let him get through the LBs, get him the ball and see if he can make a play. Give these young athletes a chance to make a play and if they do their confidence will soar and really help the team out. Tyree hasn’t broken out too much but look out if he does as well.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Thanks. Great article.

"it was never about ability" + "he's making progress in the classroom" = ? lol

I did like the fact they said he could end up playing W instead of X down the road. I don't really want he and Austin stuck on the same side. Seems BK thinks he needs to get better against the press, so needs to start at X... Personally I'd put him at W, and simply motion him if getting a clean release is the issue.

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    https://www.ndinsider.com/football/a...ec97168e1.html

Leave a comment:

• Some Irish Bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
    So we (outside the Gug) somehow know that Phil J had attitude and work ethic issues and JJ has off field issues...interesting.

Your thought process with BK and the staff doesn't really line up with what those of us who are somewhat critical are saying.
    As Beau said, this was reported with Phil J. There was little to NO detail surrounding JJ other than "traits" until this week that it was a reported academic issue, which is completely understandable for a true fresh.

I'm not a rainbows and butterflies BK supporter. I think he has gotten us to the healthiest spot since the Holtz era and has found a way to keep ND competitive as a "tier II" (not Bama, Clemson, OSU) CFB contender. It's not lost on me that he hasn't won the big games such as the one coming up on the 7th. But I also trust his judgement if he's holding back a talent such as JJ.

We can't know what is going on inside the gug, within reason. But to act like 1) BK doesn't want to win, 2) he doesn't like talent (seriously, wtf), 3) He doesn't play freshman (completely false), or whatever other hot take the critics regarding JJ have come up with.....they're just not based on facts IMO.

I'm glad JJ appears to be getting a shot to compete in the WR group this week, just like you. But a lot of posters here are basing JJ's lack of activity on a lot of assumptions. Let's not forget, BK mentioned "traits" early on this year and JJ DID get into the game late in garbage time against USF....and resulted in a personal foul penalty after a chippy play. Not saying JJ is an inherently bad kid, but not a good look after he was already mentioned to be having issues adjusting to college life and adhering to ND's standards very early on.

Hope he has it figured out, hope he competes and hope we see plenty of him moving forward. But I give BK and the staff the benefit of the doubt for this instance, specifically.

EDIT: Not to mention we had an extremely limited off season program and fall camp and he came in as a true fresh in a position group riddled with 5th year seniors and vets. There are enough factors at play here to trust the staff on this one, in summary.
    Last edited by Some Irish Bloke; 10-30-2020, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X