Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'19 CA ATH Isaiah Foskey (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
    The II staff or Sampson said on a recent podcast that Foskey was being penciled in by the staff as a project and near-certain redshirt but the shape he showed up in means he's likely going to see the field on special teams quite a bit.
    Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
    ISD or someone said he looks like a college junior. Unreal how well Elston is recruiting the position.
    And Osita Ekwonu showed up looking like the Terminator, and is probably faster than several of our DB's over the course of a 100 yard sprint.

Football Hype = Engage

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
      And Osita Ekwonu showed up looking like the Terminator, and is probably faster than several of our DB's over the course of a 100 yard sprint.

Football Hype = Engage
      Yep. Time for some far too in-depth analysis of practice videos, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
        Yep. Time for some far too in-depth analysis of practice videos, lol.
        Yep. BUT, some of those vidoes produce LEGIT hype. I remember last year Jafar Armstrong tossed aside either JGH or JOK like a rag doll and the hype-train was full steam ahead.
        My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Interesting note from Saturday's presser.

Someone (I think Sampson) asked Kelly, "You've never quite had d-line depth like this before...how are you addressing the spoil of riches there" (paraphrasing)

Kelly responded with (paraphrasing) - "We're looking at all options, we're trying to find ways to get a lot of them on the field in diffrent ways possibly...take a guy like Foskey, he can play multiple postions on the line...we could also give him a look at TE...we're still evaluating."

The Foskey TE dream is alive! (I think he's a better DE, but I think he could still be an elite TE and I kind of want to see both lol)

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
            The Foskey TE dream is alive! (I think he's a better DE, but I think he could still be an elite TE and I kind of want to see both lol)
            LOL! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! One good year of WDE depth and they are talking about moving a good WDE prospect. Madness!

ND has no issue at all recruiting high-level TEs. Their apparent lack of production recently has more to do with how they are used (and not being Tyler Eifert) than anything else.

There are exactly two reasons ND should move a WDE to TE:

1) He is not a very good WDE (lacks burst), but he is an excellent TE (6'5", excellent hands, long speed, loves to block)-- otherwise, move him to SDE.
            2) He is playing behind so many good WDEs, that he might get bored and leave if you don't get him touches.

Tamper with any other position, but not WDE!!!!!
            Last edited by Domina Nostra; 08-12-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• I'm on your side, but, I am curious to know what could have been lol

Getting flashbacks to Niklas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Domina Nostra View Post
                LOL! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! One good year of WDE depth and they are talking about moving a good WDE prospect. Madness!

ND has no issue at all recruiting high-level TEs. Their apparent lack of production recently has more to do with how they are used (and not being Tyler Eifert) than anything else.

There are exactly two reasons ND should move a WDE to TE:

1) He is not a very good WDE (lacks burst), but he is an excellent TE (6'5", excellent hands, long speed, loves to block)-- otherwise, move him to SDE.
                2) He is playing behind so many good WDEs, that he might get bored and leave if you don't get him touches.

Tamper with any other position, but not WDE!!!!!
                STFU! We wantz our Foskey as a combo TE/DE. Kelly flat out said, "Look at a guy like Foskey, is he going to be around for a 5th year?"

Lol. He's already ruling out the idea that Foskey will be here beyond 4. Since he can't steal real minutes at DE this year (next year he'll be primed), he could potentially take some snaps at TE to get him in the game and give us a chance to evaluate.

Real question: If Foskey is our 2nd or 3rd best TE with Kmet out, and our 7th best DE right now, should we give him a chance to play and see how he performs? He has all off season to grow into the DE position after this season.

If he can help us now, I'm all for it.

Comment

• When I read that I chose to ignore it because I can’t believe they’d be that silly. I don’t mind position switches but 1 year position switches? That seems like we’re trying to hard.
                  Last edited by Luckylucci; 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Since we lose the BEST SET of three DEs in the nation after this year (and who therefore will eat almost all the snaps) why would we accentuate our following season replacement problems by moving a stud-in-training out of there?

The only thing that I could imagine to explain that would be if Lea/Kelly are SO HIGH on the DEs behind Kareem/ Okwara/ Hayes that they believe that four guys are set to move right in as destroyers --- THAT would be nice. I'll dream sweet dreams on that happy thought.
                    Last edited by Old Man Mike; 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM. Reason: Age keeps bolixing up names

Comment

• no need to move Foskey he'll be a real good DE for ND in the future. that and I think tommy tremble will really impress this year at TE.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                        Interesting note from Saturday's presser.

Someone (I think Sampson) asked Kelly, "You've never quite had d-line depth like this before...how are you addressing the spoil of riches there" (paraphrasing)

Kelly responded with (paraphrasing) - "We're looking at all options, we're trying to find ways to get a lot of them on the field in diffrent ways possibly...take a guy like Foskey, he can play multiple postions on the line...we could also give him a look at TE...we're still evaluating."

I see...he goes both ways...

Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                        Since we lose the BEST SET of three DEs in the nation after this year (and who therefore will eat almost all the snaps) why would we accentuate our following season replacement problems by moving a stud-in-training out of there?

The only thing that I could imagine to explain that would be if Lea/Kelly are SO HIGH on the DEs behind Kareem/ Okwara/ Neal that they believe that four guys are set to move right in as destroyers --- THAT would be nice. I'll dream sweet dreams on that happy thought.
                        Who is Neal? I'm thinking you meant Hayes.

Comment

• I am hopeful we will finally destroy some teams such that our 2nd string gets a lot of reps throughout the season and our Kareem/Okwara/Hayes rotation stays extra fresh.

If the kid gets some snaps at TE and DE as a frosh it can only be a good thing.

Comment

• For me it's pretty simple. I think we have depth chart full of guys that can be productive. However, I'm not sure I see that true "elite" type player. Justin A, Ovie, Ade, Nana, etc. are all quality players. I think Foskey is the only one that has that "elite" upside like a Julian Okwara. You don't mess with that, at all. Just like you don't put Hamilton on offense.

Comment

For me it's pretty simple. I think we have depth chart full of guys that can be productive. However, I'm not sure I see that true "elite" type player. Justin A, Ovie, Ade, Nana, etc. are all quality players. I think Foskey is the only one that has that "elite" upside like a Julian Okwara. You don't mess with that, at all. Just like you don't put Hamilton on offense.
                              Ok good, we disagree on both. I think you use the players who help you win no matter what.

It's hard for me to see Foskey or Hamilton running a few routes/blocking and then all of a sudden forgetting how to do the defensive stuff.

"Back pedal? I've been going forward lately."

The real goal is to have enough quality depth that you don't need players making this kind of change but if the staff really believes either can be difference makers on offense this fall, I really don't know how to argue against it.

That would mean Foskey is better than our other options at TE or that Hamilton is better than our other redzone options.

Quite frankly, I hope neither of those are true because I'm hopeful everyone else will step up and keep the staff from considering it.

Comment

For me it's pretty simple. I think we have depth chart full of guys that can be productive. However, I'm not sure I see that true "elite" type player. Justin A, Ovie, Ade, Nana, etc. are all quality players. I think Foskey is the only one that has that "elite" upside like a Julian Okwara. You don't mess with that, at all. Just like you don't put Hamilton on offense.
                                We probably shouldn't draw conclusions on their upside when they're only about 1 year in at most.

I don't think we had Julian pegged as a guy with "elite" upside when he got here. Most were just concerned that he was going to ever put on any weight.
                                It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                                  Ok good, we disagree on both. I think you use the players who help you win no matter what.

It's hard for me to see Foskey or Hamilton running a few routes/blocking and then all of a sudden forgetting how to do the defensive stuff.
                                  "Back pedal? I've been going forward lately."

The real goal is to have enough quality depth that you don't need players making this kind of change but if the staff really believes either can be difference makers on offense this fall, I really don't know how to argue against it.

That would mean Foskey is better than our other options at TE or that Hamilton is better than our other redzone options.

Quite frankly, I hope neither of those are true because I'm hopeful everyone else will step up and keep the staff from considering it.

Well, for starters that's just not how it works, at all. They can't forget what they haven't even learned. Neither player is even close to a finished product and anytime they spend on said position is time they're taking away from perfecting their craft at another. For example, as good as Hamilton has been to start camp, he's been quite average in man coverage settings.

And at least in Hamilton's case, he disagrees with you as well. He said that he didn't realize how much DB work he was missing out on until after his senior season ended and he was able to focus all his training on being a defensive back. Those are from his lips to your ears.

Playing both ways sounds cool but only a small few do it with any real success and there is a reason for that. With the losses we have coming on defense, I'd focus two of the best long term players we got on that. Let's turn them into first round draft picks first, before we have them playing other positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                    We probably shouldn't draw conclusions on their upside when they're only about 1 year in at most.
                                    I don't think we had Julian pegged as a guy with "elite" upside when he got here. Most were just concerned that he was going to ever put on any weight.
                                    But that's the whole point when speaking in terms of upside. Making projections. Of the group in question, it sounds like Foskey has the best measurables of the group which would correlate, IMO, to projecting upside. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion on each but that's mine.

Comment

Well, for starters that's just not how it works, at all. They can't forget what they haven't even learned. Neither player is even close to a finished product and anytime they spend on said position is time they're taking away from perfecting their craft at another. For example, as good as Hamilton has been to start camp, he's been quite average in man coverage settings.

And at least in Hamilton's case, he disagrees with you as well. He said that he didn't realize how much DB work he was missing out on until after his senior season ended and he was able to focus all his training on being a defensive back. Those are from his lips to your ears.

Playing both ways sounds cool but only a small few do it with any real success and there is a reason for that. With the losses we have coming on defense, I'd focus two of the best long term players we got on that. Let's turn them into first round draft picks first, before we have them playing other positions.
                                      His lips to my ears? He said he didn't want to play WR because it was too important for him to keep training at DB?

I'm saying I trust the staff to not get too cute. If they put them on offense, it's because they offer something our other players don't. Simple as that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                        But that's the whole point when speaking in terms of upside. Making projections. That's what being a recruitnik is all about.
                                        FIFY

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to Julian O, it was obvious early in the '17 season that he was going to be very good at minimum and a good chance he was going to be the star he became.

Foskey doesn't have the weight issue so people can jump on the wagon quicker.

Comment

I'm saying I trust the staff to not get too cute. If they put them on offense, it's because they offer something our other players don't. Simple as that.
                                          very true. ND has recruited TE well and I think they'll be fine with wright and tremble. keep Hamilton and Foskey on defense and keep building that depth. like lou holtz said you put your best athletes on defense.

Comment

His lips to my ears? He said he didn't want to play WR because it was too important for him to keep training at DB?

You downplayed the impact of him learning/playing both positions. He said in an offseason interview that it was huge for him in his progression as a DB that this is the first offseason where he hasn’t had to also train at WR.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BK says DE Isaish Foskey will be a starter in one of their sub-packages this weekend. Saved him for this game so he can rush the passer.</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1199011673815826433?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 25, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• I think he's gonna be a big time player.

Comment

• A fresh player to pin back his ears and just go after the qb. I like it
                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• can he play in the bowl game too and preserve the red shirt.

PS might be one of the best rule changes the NCAA has ever made.
                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                      can he play in the bowl game too and preserve the red shirt.

PS might be one of the best rule changes the NCAA has ever made.
                                                      No he only has one game left to play to maintain the redshirt status.
                                                      Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BK says DE Isaish Foskey will be a starter in one of their sub-packages this weekend. Saved him for this game so he can rush the passer.</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1199011673815826433?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 25, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                        cant wait to see him against the trees, he's got star written all over him.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BK says DE Isaish Foskey will be a starter in one of their sub-packages this weekend. Saved him for this game so he can rush the passer.</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1199011673815826433?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 25, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                          He's gotta be chomping at the bit.

Rhetorical question...........How can you be a starter if you're in a subpackage?

Comment

• I wonder what would have happened if Tree could have offered him? They are gonna find out what they missed.

If I was Hinish I'd be like... Hey Rook, is this your hometown team that said you were to dumb to play there? That's what I heard the RT and RG laughing about before ya came in. Just thought you'd wanna know...

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                              I wonder what would have happened if Tree could have offered him? They are gonna find out what they missed.

If I was Hinish I'd be like... Hey Rook, is this your hometown team that said you were to dumb to play there? That's what I heard the RT and RG laughing about before ya came in. Just thought you'd wanna know...
                                                              <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l0ExgsKOuLEfp5O92" width="480" height="264" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/nfl-football-atlanta-falcons-l0ExgsKOuLEfp5O92">via GIPHY</a></p>

Comment

• Over/under in sacks is set at 1.5

I’ll take the over!

Comment

• Give my dude the game ball

Comment

• Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                                                    Give my dude the game ball
                                                                    He changed the game with that play.
                                                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Can't wait to see him full-time next season.

Comment

• Big time players make big time plays

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• He cannot play in the bowl game, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by brewdog_14527 View Post
                                                                            He cannot play in the bowl game, correct?
                                                                            Correct

Comment

• Future first round pick. Such a great athlete for his size.

Comment

• Wish he was lined up more, always seems to be around the ball.

Comment

• He is turning out to be what we expected Daelin Hayes to be. Who do we think will ask for an extra season next year?

Comment

• Boss.
                                                                                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Foskey’s usage was upped vs Clemson and he really impressed me. Dropped into coverage some and the lined him up inside in the 3rd and long look. This guy is the next great one on defense for us IMO.

Comment

• He was about a half inch away from an interception while covering in the flat. It ended up being caught for a first, but he was so close.

Comment

• Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                                                          He was about a half inch away from an interception while covering in the flat. It ended up being caught for a first, but he was so close.
                                                                                          Key thing to me: He missed the tip/interception, and immediately made the secure tackle. Very easy to see a guy not make that transition to tackle, and the receiver gets a few more yards, or more.

Comment

• Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                            Working...
                                                                                            X