Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'19 KS QB Graham Mertz (Wisconsin Commit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '19 KS QB Graham Mertz (Wisconsin Commit)

Quarterback
    Mission, KS
    Blue Valley North HS

Measurements:
    6-4

Rankings:
    247 Comp ..... 4* ..... #9 QB-P ..... #254 OA ..... .9129 rating
    247 ............... 4* ..... #7 QB-P ..... #193 OA ...... 92
    Rivals ............ 4* ..... #12 QB-P .... #243 OA ...... 5.8
    ESPN ............. NR

Offers:
    Notre Dame
    Bama
    ASU
    UGA
    Iowa
    KU
    LSU
    UMiami
    Mich
    Minny
    Ole Miss
    Mizzou
    Ohio St
    OK St
    Tenn
    aTm
    Wiscy ......................... Committed 10-8-17

Media Links:

https://twitter.com/GrahamMertz5

https://www.hudl.com/profile/5368957/Graham-Mertz

Highlights:

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/5368957/5a0b1994f31c750ed8e59493' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

13 G ... 269-434 ... 62% ... 3684 yd ... 45TD/6Int ..... 6A State Champs

Started out at Bishop Miege w/ Armstrong, Grunhard & Jackson but tranferred to Blue Valley North. Carter Putz who is coming to Notre Dame this season to play baseball was the QB the last 3 years on Miege's 3peat state champs in 4A and the 2x KS Gatordade POTY so snaps weren't coming until his Sr. season if he stayed. So he knows a few of the guys on campus and in the pipeline well.

Miege beat Blue Valley North 33-14 in the regular season

From the 2019 Mater List thread:

Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
    Wisconsin QB commit offered. I have a weird feeling this will be our guy in '19.
    Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
    Very impressive film. Doesn't seem to run as much as Phil or Drew, but he isn't slow either. Mertz looks like a guy that can not only solidify QB depth for the future, but looks plenty good enough to play winning football in South Bend.

What would worry me if the staff took a "lesser talented" QB this cycle is that there would be a lack of competition for Phil and complacency would set in. Once Pyne gets on campus, that would obviously change but I would like to see the one year gap get bridged by a commitment from Mertz.
    Originally posted by stlnd01 View Post
    He may be "committed" to Wisconsin, but he has certainly picked up a lot of prime time offers since he did.
    https://247sports.com/Player/Graham-...TimelineEvents
    Originally posted by SoIll View Post
    Lets hope. Crusader has his, but this is my guy!
    Last edited by NDCrusader; 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Loy put in the first ND CB last night.

Freebie:

https://247sports.com/college/wiscon...ffer-117480539

It'll be interesting to see if Notre Dame is able to get him on campus, as it's our belief the offer wasn't going to be extended without at least a return trip to campus set.

Mertz was on campus last summer for the Irish Invasion camp and left a strong impression on the Notre Dame staff. Since then, Mertz has kept a relationship going with Irish quarterbacks coach Tom Rees. Things have heated up lately and this is a recruitment Notre Dame fans should watch closely moving forward. The expectation is that Mertz will return to campus soon to give the Irish a look.

With the fact that Mertz is likely to check out Notre Dame in person, give the Irish full consideration, and knowing that Notre Dame is going to do all it can to land him, I'm putting an early 247Sports Crystal Ball on the Fighting Irish. We'll see how things play out, but this is a young man the staff would love to flip from Wisconsin. Time will tell if the coaching staff can get it done. My gut? They get it done.
      Last edited by NDCrusader; 04-19-2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Kapowwwww

Comment

I love it when BK and the boys read my post and listen to me

Comment

I actually like his film, a lot.

Seems to have great fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
              I actually like his film, a lot.

Seems to have great fundamentals.
              Slings it.

Comment

Hmmm... much like Koon, I’m not a film evaluator. But looks to me like he tends to stare down first read ...even forces it a bunch. Apparently has the arm to outpace the DBs at this level, but....
                I spend WAY too much time on here.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a> continues to push hard for Wisconsin four-star quarterback commit Graham Mertz, one of the nation&#39;s top signal-callers. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrishIllustrated?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" >#IrishIllustrated</a> brings you the latest: <a href="https://t.co/ppPRW7z2OJ">https://t.co/ppPRW7z2OJ</a> (VIP) <a href="https://t.co/3FuK59FCUb">pic.twitter.com/3FuK59FCUb</a></p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/status/989129905152692230?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

He seems like a quality replacement for Cade. I was super high on Cade but Mertz looks like he has all the tools needed to win.

Comment

Someone needs to tell Tommy that Mertz transferred to Blue Valley North. No wonder we can't recruit a QB, Rees keeps showing up at the wrong school.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thanks to <a href="https://twitter.com/T_Rees11?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@T_Rees11</a> from Notre Dame for stopping by Miege to visit about our players. <a href="https://t.co/3RV4KvXLLM">pic.twitter.com/3RV4KvXLLM</a></p>&mdash; Jon Holmes (@coachjonholmes) <a href="https://twitter.com/coachjonholmes/status/989239855543717888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2018</a></blockquote>
                      <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Someone drop an acceptable joke about the coach before I go out of bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                          Alright, guess I'll go...

Nevermind. It's too long.

Comment

You mean their coach, John 'P. Diddy' Holmes?

Comment

LOL..........Thought the same thing when I read that.

All I can say is his coach went to great lengths to coach this kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                LOL..........Thought the same thing when I read that.

All I can say is his coach went to great lengths to coach this kid.
                                Thatís gold Jerry, gold.

Comment

Offensive Coordinator Longdong Silver thinks that this kid has all the tools to get the job done.
                                  Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                    Thatís gold Jerry, gold.
                                    I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your wait staff. NDC needs the money for new brakes on his '93 Civic.

Comment

Jon Holmes believes Mertz has the complete package

Comment

Clemson has offered

Comment

I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your wait staff. NDC needs the money for new brakes on his '93 Civic.
                                          What? Crus upgraded his ride?

Comment

Originally posted by snoopdog View Post
                                            What? Crus upgraded his ride?
                                            Can confirm.

Traded up to this sweet Mary Kay Kustom Civic. Hated to let the DonkRoc-Z go = Skeezer magnet.

Comment

Can confirm.

Traded up to this sweet Mary Kay Kustom Civic. Hated to let the DonkRoc-Z go = Skeezer magnet.

Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

did you buy that car from Malibu Stacey?? :D Looks sweet haha
                                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                                                  Jon Holmes believes Mertz has the complete package
                                                  Come back next week as Veritate will be filling in for me while I'm on the road. By then NDC will have his brakes fixed, but will need money to tint the windows on that pink beauty.
                                                  Last edited by Irish#1; 04-26-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Come back next week as Veritate will be filling in for me while I'm on the road. By then NDC will have his brakes fixed, but will need money to tint the windows on that pink beauty.
                                                    If I tinted the windows, how would they be able to see me sportin' that sled???

Comment

If I tinted the windows, how would they be able to see me sportin' that sled???

Your legend precedes you!

Comment

sounds like hes going to pass..

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ools-117931509

Comment

Good for him if so.

Nice to see a kid who knows the meaning of the word commitment.

Comment

I would say good for him, but I can't support anybody helping Sconny with anything ever

Comment

Agreed, good for him

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                I would say good for him, but I can't support anybody helping Sconny with anything ever
                                                                If it wasn't for the Packers, Wiscy would be my favorite state becuz of the peeps... well that and the dairy products. Although there is something sinister about a state that's frozen 9 month a year not having a hockey team when Florida has two.

Comment

If it wasn't for the Packers, Wiscy would be my favorite state becuz of the peeps... well that and the dairy products. Although there is something sinister about a state that's frozen 9 month a year not having a hockey team when Florida has two.
                                                                  Fun fact. I've only ever been flipped off and cursed out in public in one place: Wisconsin. All for the sin of being from south of the border. There were kids in earshot...stay classy, Sconny

Comment

Originally posted by SoIll View Post
                                                                    Ok. I have no idea for sure what will happen, but this article and headline is from a Wisconsin writer. Second of all, I thought I read somewhere that Mertz was considering visiting ND on a certain weekend (not sure which weekend off the top of my head), but a 7v7 competition conflicted. I will see if I can find it.

He's still not wavering in the literal sense that he's not taken any visits, yet. But I'm not sure if anyone has a quote from him recently that states he is 100% solid to Wisconsin and I will not be taking any visits, period.

Comment

Article from 3 days ago.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...zada-117874009

One thing remains clear, four-star quarterback Graham Mertz remains the top target on the board and the one with an offer in hand. However, he is still committed to Wisconsin and hasn't firmed up visit plans at this time. He wanted to get to campus last weekend, but a 7-on-7 tournament prevented that from happening. If things don't workout on that front, Calzada looks like the next best bet to land an offer from Notre Dame.

Comment

Lets see how this plays out. This is what every committed kid says when the big programs start circling.

Comment

Badger board responding to this article. You can glean some nuggets from the article based upon their posts. I guess he did say a lot of things that were very pro Wisconsin, but he said he would "probably not" visit Notre Dame. If one of our commits said that, we would be ready to grab the pitchforks.

https://247sports.com/college/wiscon...7931509?Page=2

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                            Fun fact. I've only ever been flipped off and cursed out in public in one place: Wisconsin. All for the sin of being from south of the border. There were kids in earshot...stay classy, Sconny
                                                                            Maybe Cheesers are rude to a downstater but as a Chicagolander, I find them charming. Nothing ruder this side of New York than a FIB in a Range Rover/Escalade on their weekend get away to WI/IN/MI... just ask the locals.

Comment

• #41
                                                                              Maybe Cheesers are rude to a downstater but as a Chicagolander, I find them charming. Nothing ruder this side of New York than a FIB in a Range Rover/Escalade on their weekend get away to WI/IN/MI... just ask the locals.
                                                                              No disagreement here. That's the thing, the Wisconsonites don't realize they hate the Burbs folks and city yuppies. But instead we're all in the same boat, so f*ck the Badgers

Comment

• #42
                                                                                Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                                                Badger board responding to this article. You can glean some nuggets from the article based upon their posts. I guess he did say a lot of things that were very pro Wisconsin, but he said he would "probably not" visit Notre Dame. If one of our commits said that, we would be ready to grab the pitchforks.

https://247sports.com/college/wiscon...7931509?Page=2
                                                                                Now that all the info is out:

Until he utters the... I'm shutting it down line like Phil did, I say he visits. If he visits, he'll flip.

I think it comes down to, does he wanna play very early and hand the ball off to whoever the RB is... or does he wanna send Phil's plays in and fetch his slippers until he leaves... at which time he'll have to go toe to toe with the lil pitbull that is Drew Pyne and future multi-time winner of the Heisman, RP3.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                  Now that all the info is out:

Until he utters the... I'm shutting it down line like Phil did, I say he visits. If he visits, he'll flip.

I think it comes down to, does he wanna play very early and hand the ball off to whoever the RB is... or does he wanna send Phil's plays in and fetch his slippers until he leaves... at which time he'll have to go toe to toe with the lil pitbull that is Drew Pyne and future multi-time winner of the Heisman, RP3.
                                                                                  I remember when I thought Dayne Crist would come in and lock down the QB job for 2-3 years. I remember feeling the same way about Everett Golson, and then Malik Zaire, and then Deshone Kizer, and then Brandon Wimbush. BK has pulled every single one of those QBs during games for one reason or another and inserted the backup. I don’t think that it necessarily speak wells to ND, but QB job security hasn’t exactly been a hallmark of the BK era. If Mertz comes to ND, odds are in his favor that he’ll get a chance to play earlier than some might expect.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                    Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post
                                                                                    I remember when I thought Dayne Crist would come in and lock down the QB job for 2-3 years. I remember feeling the same way about Everett Golson, and then Malik Zaire, and then Deshone Kizer, and then Brandon Wimbush. BK has pulled every single one of those QBs during games for one reason or another and inserted the backup. I donít think that it necessarily speak wells to ND, but QB job security hasnít exactly been a hallmark of the BK era. If Mertz comes to ND, odds are in his favor that heíll get a chance to play earlier than some might expect.
                                                                                    I think QBs have done as well as could be expected. I also thought Golson was the golden one. His HS tape was incredible.

But look at each of our QBs and how they've faired in the league. We haven't had an Andrew Luck yet. The best we've had is Kizer and he parlayed that into a 2nd round pick.

People want to claim Kelly tries to fit a square peg in a round hole but I think he's done a very good job of molding the offense around his players excepting that 2016 shouldn't have happened. We scored enough points to be a 9-10 win team that year but our defense absolutely killed us.

I think the most defensible criticism of BK in regards to QBs is Golson. Now, he didn't force Golson to get kicked out so who knows how he would've developed if he had uninterrupted eligibility but Kelly was unable to create an offense simple enough for Golson. Golson didn't need sheet music, he needed to be handed an instrument to play some Jazz. He was best at extending plays and launching the fuck*ng pigskin.

The receivers should've been running drills on comebacks/drags/etc so they could've always been working their way to the open field for when Golson ultimately left the pocket.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                      Hell yes!!!! But we call them FIP in Michigan.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                        Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post
                                                                                        I remember when I thought Dayne Crist would come in and lock down the QB job for 2-3 years. I remember feeling the same way about Everett Golson, and then Malik Zaire, and then Deshone Kizer, and then Brandon Wimbush. BK has pulled every single one of those QBs during games for one reason or another and inserted the backup. I donít think that it necessarily speak wells to ND, but QB job security hasnít exactly been a hallmark of the BK era. If Mertz comes to ND, odds are in his favor that heíll get a chance to play earlier than some might expect.
                                                                                        To counter none of these guys just balled out and said the job is mine. But look at bama. Qb change mid natty. You're job is only safe as you make it
                                                                                        Prehistoric

Comment

• #47
                                                                                          "Pretty solid" on his commitment. Visiting pOSU on Monday since he was in town for Rivals 3 Stripe camp. If I'm Wisconsin, I'd be worried.
                                                                                          https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals250-...ves-the-latest

The recruitment of Rivals250 Wisconsin quarterback commit Graham Mertz has been making waves all over the country. The Overland Park (Kan.) Blue Valley North star has pulled in a bunch of new offers lately and there is growing speculation about how committed his is to the Badgers. Mertz broke down his recruitment at Sunday’s Rivals 3 Stripe Camp presented by adidas.

“I've had a lot of interest from other schools but Wisconsin is still my number one,” Mertz said. “I love the guys there, Coach Budmayr and coach Chryst. It's a great spot for me. I'm very solid right now.

“Notre Dame, Texas A&M, LSU, and Clemson are just a few of my recent offers,” he said. “It's definitely flattering going from not starting a game last year to this. I'm pretty solid in my commitment. My thing in this whole process is being completely honest with Wisconsin and we've done a great job of that building our relationship

“We're working on a couple guys like Spencer Lytle and Bryce Benhart,” said Mertz. “We're also trying to get a few more athletes in this class.

“I was up at Wisconsin about a month ago,” he said. “One of the days we did the normal visit and another day I was in the office with coach Budmayr and coach Chryst for about five or six hours breaking down film and just trying to see how I'm going to fit into everything.

I'm going to stop by Ohio State on Monday and check it out,” Mertz said. “We're here for an extra day because that's how our flights worked out so we figured we should go over there and check it out. The coaches are excited. They've been pushing for a visit for a few months. I've never been there before. They've got Dwayne Haskins this year so it'll be interesting to see how that works out because he's a lot like me. We kind of have the same pocket presence and can both make the same throws so it'll be good to see how they use him."

Comment

• #48
                                                                                            "I'm very solid right now." "I'm pretty solid in my commitment."

The signs are all there. lol

Comment

• #49
                                                                                              <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/268319860" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/bg...bus-highlights

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                Are we going to get a visit while he's "pretty solid"? He's open to visiting clearly, hopefully we can steal one too.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                Working...
                                                                                                X