Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'19 NJ DE Howard Cross (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    My vote for sleeper commit of this class. I honestly forgot about him until I saw this.

    Comment


    • #52
      Gatorade player of the year doesn’t mean it will translate to Notre Dame but that’s an honor

      Comment


      • #53
        Originally posted by GrangerIrish24 View Post
        My vote for sleeper commit of this class. I honestly forgot about him until I saw this.
        Wouldn't disagree with this. I think he's going to surprise some folks. Definitely looks like he's going to be moved inside to 3T.

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
          Wouldn't disagree with this. I think he's going to surprise some folks. Definitely looks like he's going to be moved inside to 3T.
          It will be interesting. Do we really want him sitting behind JayAde though if he's that good? Or in the mix with Justin.
          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

          Comment


          • #55
            If he is that good, rotating players seems like a GREAT option!

            Comment


            • #56
              Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
              It will be interesting. Do we really want him sitting behind JayAde though if he's that good? Or in the mix with Justin.
              He's a swing DL. I think you could line him up at a few different spots. And with the variety of fronts that we run, that'll be useful. He's probably an ideal 3T that will be able to play some 4/5.

              Also, natural progression of building out a top tier depth chart is you're going to have good players developing and waiting their turn. The ideal being you are recruiting each position at a high level so there shouldn't be a need to play him out of position.

              Justin is at Drop and looks like he will be for the foreseeable future. So when he plays some outside, he'd be in the mix with Ade/Foskey?.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                He's a swing DL. I think you could line him up at a few different spots. And with the variety of fronts that we run, that'll be useful. He's probably an ideal 3T that will be able to play some 4/5.

                Also, natural progression of building out a top tier depth chart is you're going to have good players developing and waiting their turn. The ideal being you are recruiting each position at a high level so there shouldn't be a need to play him out of position.

                Justin is at Drop and looks like he will be for the foreseeable future. So when he plays some outside, he'd be in the mix with Ade/Foskey?.
                I thought Justin was was popping in for Kareem when he did get PT. I know on Rivals they changed him from Drop to SDE. Thought I also heard or read something that they saw Justin probably growing into the SDE spot quickly? I could have confused him someone else.
                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                Comment


                • #58
                  Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                  I thought Justin was was popping in for Kareem when he did get PT. I know on Rivals they changed him from Drop to SDE. Thought I also heard or read something that they saw Justin probably growing into the SDE spot quickly? I could have confused him someone else.
                  Might be thinking of Jahmir Jones.

                  Edit: Who knows why Rivals changed it but the official depth chart that ND released before USC had Justin A as a Drop behind Hayes.

                  https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/7904/...chart-usc-week
                  Last edited by Luckylucci; 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                    He's a swing DL. I think you could line him up at a few different spots. And with the variety of fronts that we run, that'll be useful. He's probably an ideal 3T that will be able to play some 4/5.

                    Also, natural progression of building out a top tier depth chart is you're going to have good players developing and waiting their turn. The ideal being you are recruiting each position at a high level so there shouldn't be a need to play him out of position.

                    Justin is at Drop and looks like he will be for the foreseeable future. So when he plays some outside, he'd be in the mix with Ade/Foskey?.
                    I agree. Kid is of average explosiveness on the edge but he's super physical. He's the kind of guy you play at DE against the Stanfords of the world, but will probably play a lot of minutes at 3-Tech, particularly on passing downs.
                    "Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!"
                    --Samuel L

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                      Might be thinking of Jahmir Jones.

                      Edit: Who knows why Rivals changed it but the official depth chart that ND released before USC had Justin A as a Drop behind Hayes.

                      https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/7904/...chart-usc-week
                      I think it might have been a Rivals article or PC that I was thinking about (where someone said they expect him to grow quickly into a SDE). Only so much stock you can put into the different depth charts... But like I said, I could have easily confused him with another as whatever it was, it was back when he got PT I think in September. I still could have sworn that he went in for Kareem. That's what is driving me nuts.
                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                      Comment


                      • #61
                        Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                        I think it might have been a Rivals article or PC that I was thinking about (where someone said they expect him to grow quickly into a SDE). Only so much stock you can put into the different depth charts... But like I said, I could have easily confused him with another as whatever it was, it was back when he got PT I think in September. I still could have sworn that he went in for Kareem. That's what is driving me nuts.
                        The depth chart above (in the ISD article) is the one released from the ND athletic department. Really the only one that matters. I have no idea why Rivals would have a different depth chart. Stuff gets weird over there.

                        Pretty sure a majority of his snaps versus Wake were at Drop. Same for against VT when Hayes didn't travel.

                        He very well may have substituted in for Kareem on some occasion or several but not that doesn't mean he's a SDE. Heck, Kareem has lined up as a 0T before, doesn't mean he's a NT. We run a variety of fronts and move the guys around. We'll put Okwara and Hayes on both edges, doesn't mean we run a 3-4. In the base, Justin is a Drop. That could change, but if we land Foskey I doubt it happens. For balance we want Justin to stick at Drop so the 20' depth chart is Justin/Nana and Ade/Foskey.

                        Comment


                        • #62
                          Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                          The depth chart above (in the ISD article) is the one released from the ND athletic department. Really the only one that matters. I have no idea why Rivals would have a different depth chart. Stuff gets weird over there.

                          Pretty sure a majority of his snaps versus Wake were at Drop. Same for against VT when Hayes didn't travel.

                          He very well may have substituted in for Kareem on some occasion or several but not that doesn't mean he's a SDE. Heck, Kareem has lined up as a 0T before, doesn't mean he's a NT. We run a variety of fronts and move the guys around. We'll put Okwara and Hayes on both edges, doesn't mean we run a 3-4. In the base, Justin is a Drop. That could change, but if we land Foskey I doubt it happens. For balance we want Justin to stick at Drop so the 20' depth chart is Justin/Nana and Ade/Foskey.
                          that's sexy
                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                          Comment


                          • #63
                            Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                            that's sexy
                            With some collection of Seniors Hinish/MTA, Juniors Jayson A/Franklin, and Sophomores Lacey, Cross, and Spears on the interior. Expectations are we should continue to field a very competitive DL.

                            Comment


                            • #64
                              Named state player of the year by Star Ledger.

                              http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...year-for-2018/
                              "Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America"

                              Comment


                              • #65
                                Originally posted by vuirish View Post
                                Named state player of the year by Star Ledger.

                                http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...year-for-2018/
                                Article mentioned that Howard Cross III is the same height as his dad was in high school and his dads final playing size was around 65 270lbs. Im telling you right now that if HCIII gets to 65 then hell be an all American. I think hes that good. I think hes limited by his size right now but if that growth spurt did happen then hes adding to his very good skillset.

                                Comment


                                • #66
                                  Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                  Article mentioned that Howard Cross III is the same height as his dad was in high school and his dads final playing size was around 65 270lbs. Im telling you right now that if HCIII gets to 65 then hell be an all American. I think hes that good. I think hes limited by his size right now but if that growth spurt did happen then hes adding to his very good skillset.
                                  If that growth happens, there are a number of positions he could play on OL/DL. I know in the past we've struggled to field a dominant defensive front with competent backups but I believe those days are behind us.

                                  Comment


                                  • #67
                                    The real #1 player in NJ.

                                    Comment


                                    • #68
                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A malicious player on the field and a humble young man off. <br><br>Meet <a href="https://twitter.com/HowardCrossIII?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@HowardCrossII I</a>, who will be joining <a href="https://twitter.com/coachelston?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@coachelston</a>'s unstoppable D-line squad.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish </a> ☘️ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FightClub19?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Fig htClub19</a> <a href="https://t.co/8uYWao8Y2J">pic.twitter.com/8uYWao8Y2J</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame Football (@NDFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDFootball/status/1075382289868173312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 19, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">SIGNED: New Jersey DE Howard Cross III has sent his National Letter of Intent to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NSD19?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NSD19</a> <a href="https://t.co/RSmWkOvSXT">https://t.co/RSmWkOvSXT</a></p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1075382574606893056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 19, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A strong athlete with a family tradition of excellent football!<a href="https://twitter.com/HowardCrossIII?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@HowardCrossII I</a> has the skill set to change the game as a DT or DE. His versatility makes him a huge get in this class.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FightClub19?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Fig htClub19</a> <a href="https://t.co/lfvuGFINwL">pic.twitter.com/lfvuGFINwL</a></p>&mdash; Mike Elston (@CoachMikeElston) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachMikeElston/status/1075383539032645632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 19, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                      Last edited by arrowryan; 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM.

                                      Comment


                                      • #69
                                        i think you have one extra players tweet in here arrowryan
                                        Prehistoric

                                        Comment


                                        • #70
                                          He is one of the sleepers in this class. If he continues to grow late, like his father did...he will be an absolute monster.

                                          Comment


                                          • #71
                                            I didn&rsquo;t watch the second half, have it on DVR so eventually will, but Ryan Harris was raving about Howard Cross III on the radio. Ryan Harris was completely gushing over Cross&rsquo;s play. Harris stated that Howard Cross III is going to be a superstar in the future. You have to love hearing that from a former NFL starting OL.


                                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                            Comment


                                            • #72
                                              Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                              I didn&rsquo;t watch the second half, have it on DVR so eventually will, but Ryan Harris was raving about Howard Cross III on the radio. Ryan Harris was completely gushing over Cross&rsquo;s play. Harris stated that Howard Cross III is going to be a superstar in the future. You have to love hearing that from a former NFL starting OL.


                                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                              What would Harris have said if he had TWO tackles instead of one?

                                              Comment


                                              • #73
                                                Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                I didn&rsquo;t watch the second half, have it on DVR so eventually will, but Ryan Harris was raving about Howard Cross III on the radio. Ryan Harris was completely gushing over Cross&rsquo;s play. Harris stated that Howard Cross III is going to be a superstar in the future. You have to love hearing that from a former NFL starting OL.


                                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                So is he an end or a tackle?

                                                Comment


                                                • #74
                                                  Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                  What would Harris have said if he had TWO tackles instead of one?


                                                  I really don&rsquo;t understand your sarcasm. Sorry I&rsquo;m just not understanding your point.


                                                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #75
                                                    Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                    So is he an end or a tackle?
                                                    DT. I believe playing the 3 tech position to be exact. 3T will typically always be seen lined up to the outside shoulder of one of the guards.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #76
                                                      Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                      I really don&rsquo;t understand your sarcasm. Sorry I&rsquo;m just not understanding your point.


                                                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                      Point being that HCIII didn't really do much to earn the praise being heaped upon him (assuming he only had 1 tackle on the day). Not that he didn't play well, but I don't think it was quite enough to deem him a future NFLer quite yet...

                                                      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #77
                                                        Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                        Point being that HCIII didn't really do much to earn the praise being heaped upon him (assuming he only had 1 tackle on the day). Not that he didn't play well, but I don't think it was quite enough to deem him a future NFLer quite yet...

                                                        Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


                                                        There is more to being a productive player and playing well than just tackles and tackles for a loss. I trust what a former starting O linemen for many years in the NFL sees and evaluates over an arm chair QB.


                                                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #78
                                                          Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                          There is more to being a productive player and playing well than just tackles and tackles for a loss. I trust what a former starting O linemen for many years in the NFL sees and evaluates over an arm chair QB.


                                                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                          Oooooouuuuuch!

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #79
                                                            I don't post much but when I do, it's usually to publicly laugh. .
                                                            I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #80
                                                              Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                              I really don&rsquo;t understand your sarcasm. Sorry I&rsquo;m just not understanding your point.


                                                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                              I will say it was hilarious. Yes other ways to evaluate a D lineman beyond tackles made. Hope he can be more productive than Bonner though. Not sure how ,any tackles Bonner was in on but it wasnt a lot.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #81
                                                                Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                                                Trolls disappear when things are going well
                                                                Pft,... Im still here,...
                                                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #82
                                                                  If he is a DT does he look small?

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #83
                                                                    Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                                    If he is a DT does he look small?
                                                                    He IS small. He's 6-1 & change. But so are Sheldon Day and Aaron Donald.

                                                                    It's not a deal breaker.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #84
                                                                      Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                      He IS small. He's 6-1 & change. But so are Sheldon Day and Aaron Donald.

                                                                      It's not a deal breaker.
                                                                      Understood - just seems like we have a heap of those hopefully one or two of them becomes Aaron Donald like.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #85
                                                                        We’ve been talking about Mills plenty, how about Cross.

                                                                        https://247sports.com/college/notre-...me--156501820/

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #86
                                                                          Bumped scared me Lucky....He is a stud just like his father.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #87
                                                                            huge kudos to elston and the staff for recruiting at a level elite enough to make our Line depth what it needs to be to compete at a championship level.
                                                                            Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                                                                            Comment

                                                                            Adsense

                                                                            Collapse
                                                                            Working...
                                                                            X