Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'19 NC LB Osita Ekwonu (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ummmm

Comment

• Did he play RB in high school?

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post
        Did he play RB in high school?
        Yes and he was a pretty good one at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
          Is there an injury we don't know about? Him cracking the 2 deep may have been tough perhaps?

Comment

Some senior year HS highlights at RB...

https://247sports.com/Video/Senior-Year-8975938/

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
              Some senior year HS highlights at RB...

https://247sports.com/Video/Senior-Year-8975938/
              Not bad! Built like a Bama RB. Are the days of C'Bo as our short yardage back over?

Comment

• Move him to fullback
                What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post
                  Not bad! Built like a Bama RB. Are the days of C'Bo as our short yardage back over?
                  He looks like a beast in the highlights. What was his competition like? The kids don't look small but he is running through people.

Comment

• Interesting....like Myles Jack or that kid from Michigan who kicked ND’s ass last year, can’t remember his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Honestly, watching his tape again, I can see it. It seems like one of the things that made him a good linebacker was his ability to work through traffic and that manifests itself on the offensive side of the ball by being able to find the right hole to hit. With so many of his runs, it seems like he effortlessly squeezes through the line even when he is taking sharp cuts to do it. It doesn't look like he has the top end speed, but hopefully a year at linebacker has prepared him to be a physical runner.

Comment

• TimPrister
                        STAFF

We just recorded our Irish Illustrated Insider and spoke of Brian Kelly's comments about moving LB-Osita Ekwonu to RB.

Right after we finished recording, we were told that it's not a total move to RB, but rather, situational reps. He remains a Mike LB as well.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ion-150942761/

Comment

• MYLES JACK

Comment

• Makes me think it's a Covid precautionary situation. Get guys reps at RB in the event that we have a covid run on RB's, there's others that have taken reps.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoIll View Post
                              TimPrister
                              STAFF

We just recorded our Irish Illustrated Insider and spoke of Brian Kelly's comments about moving LB-Osita Ekwonu to RB.

Right after we finished recording, we were told that it's not a total move to RB, but rather, situational reps. He remains a Mike LB as well.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ion-150942761/
                              Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                              MYLES JACK
                              Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                              Makes me think it's a Covid precautionary situation. Get guys reps at RB in the event that we have a covid run on RB's, there's others that have taken reps.
                              excellent point lucky and i like what you are thinking Lion.....with the talk about how lsu had an entire position group out with cov19....this is some good fwd thinking on the staff's part
                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Makes me think it's a Covid precautionary situation. Get guys reps at RB in the event that we have a covid run on RB's, there's others that have taken reps.
                                Kevin Austin's year as a Practice Squad Cornerback may come in useful so?
                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

So basically put him on the RB depth chart, but keep him far away from the room...juuuuust in case.

Comment

Lucky I think you hit the nail on the hear here.

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                    excellent point lucky and i like what you are thinking Lion.....with the talk about how lsu had an entire position group out with cov19....this is some good fwd thinking on the staff's part

Lion? I was the first to mention Myles Jack dang...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• When I asked on this, I was told it was because 1) we have so much quality depth at LB relative to RB 2) it's because he can be more than "just a body" there and has potential as a "power back" for situational reps regardless of injury/COVID 3) it has more to do with his ability to help at RB than him him not doing well at LB.

So I'm interested to see what happens, but I consider it a little bit of an indictment of guys not named Kyren Willams or Chris Tyree. It may or may not be COVID-precautionary... I think that's a good theory... and I would bet they are cross-training a handful of guys in case a position group gets "hit." But for most other guys, it's on the same side of the ball that they currently play.

Comment

• The other interesting ones would be at Hamilton at WR and Lenzy at CB.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                          The other interesting ones would be at Hamilton at WR and Lenzy at CB.
                                          Why waste Hamilton's immense talent at receiver, when we DESPERATELY need to discuss the backup longsnapper situation.

If Peitsch gets infected, this season is completely f*cked.
                                          It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                            Why waste Hamilton's immense talent at receiver, when we DESPERATELY need to discuss the backup longsnapper situation.

Armstrong?
                                            Spears?

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                              When I asked on this, I was told it was because 1) we have so much quality depth at LB relative to RB 2) it's because he can be more than "just a body" there and has potential as a "power back" for situational reps regardless of injury/COVID 3) it has more to do with his ability to help at RB than him him not doing well at LB.

So I'm interested to see what happens, but I consider it a little bit of an indictment of guys not named Kyren Willams or Chris Tyree. It may or may not be COVID-precautionary... I think that's a good theory... and I would bet they are cross-training a handful of guys in case a position group gets "hit." But for most other guys, it's on the same side of the ball that they currently play.
                                              That's the first thing I thought of when I read the switch. Tommy may have some goal line plays where he wants to go under center and have a FB to run ISO?

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post

I get the sarcasm....but Peitsch might be 2nd team. Listed at 205, Kelly has historically red shirted the scholly snappers while the previous starter took his grad year. Shannon didn't take his 5th year and all players retain eligibility for this year so anything is possible however the beat writers said recently Michael Vinson, 226 and a junior, has been getting a lot of reps.

Comment

• Forgot that there's a true freshman LS, that's good. And with this being a free year eligibility-wise, there's no worry of burning a redshirt if Peitsch needs to go in.

Comment

• Originally posted by NewEnglandGuy View Post
                                                    I get the sarcasm....but Peitsch might be 2nd team. Listed at 205, Kelly has historically red shirted the scholly snappers while the previous starter took his grad year. Shannon didn't take his 5th year and all players retain eligibility for this year so anything is possible however the beat writers said recently Michael Vinson, 226 and a junior, has been getting a lot of reps.
                                                    apparently with his back issues (that influenced his decision to retire) Shannon barely practiced last season but played every game. Vinson was in effect the 1st string practice LS so he's gotten a huge amount of reps for a guy that hasn't played.
                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Just wanted to add this free story to the timeline for future reference. Ekwonu's brother Ickey, has 72 pancake blocks in the 20 games he's started at LT.

Feels nice to have "missed" and know that it didn't hurt the team. That's the definition of Quinning.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...247259474.html

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                      Working...
                                                      X