Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'19 OH DT Jowon Briggs (Virginia Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by longliveautrydenson View Post
    We could definitely help the cause this season by continuing to develop a D-line rotation and getting Jayson Ademilola or JaíMion Franklin some serious run. If we have young guys rotating in early and often, itíll be that much easier to sell a 3- or 4- man DT class.
    we'll need to employ a three man rotation at both insides spots if we're getting the young guns in. Tillery, Bonner, MTA, Hinish, Ewell (who I'm assuming will earn minutes) and Jay Ade and Franklin.

I could still see Ade earning PT, possibly as an SDE as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
      we'll need to employ a three man rotation at both insides spots if we're getting the young guns in. Tillery, Bonner, MTA, Hinish, Ewell (who I'm assuming will earn minutes) and Jay Ade and Franklin.

I could still see Ade earning PT, possibly as an SDE as well.
      I see a rotation of Tillery, Bonner, MTA and Hinish with Jay Ademilola pushing Hinish for minutes and MDT seeing some spot duty. Not sure if we can expect anything out of Ewell next season, the reports on him have been almost unanimously negative.

Comment

We’ve proven for several years that we’ll play DL early. Sometimes too early, lol.

Hinish is at 1T and Jay Ade will be at 3T. So Jay will more than likely be battling MTA for backup 3T snaps.

Comment

SDE Joseph Anderson
          SDE Hunter Spears
          DT Jowon Briggs
          DT Mazi Smith
          DT Rodas Johnson
          DT Jacob Lacey
          WDE Nana Osafo-Mensah
          WDE Brandon Smith

Letís just say this did happen (for the record, it wonít) and ND accepted all the top talent who wanted in. Iíd say hell yeah let them all come in. I know Spears is a DT and should be counted as such but for this exercise heíll be SDE #2 instead of DT #5. This could theoretically work cause then Elston recruits the crap out of them for the next 10 months and I guarantee at least 1-2 decommit and head somewhere else and you end up with the best 6 man DLine class in ND history. So it could work but I think itís a near impossibility that this happens. Amazing 2019 DL recruiting tho. Need to get 2 commits before we can be talking about 7-8 commits.

Comment

another crystal ball for us today

Comment

Originally posted by GrangerIrish24 View Post
              Ain't nobody in Walnut Hills who likes ND.

Comment

Originally posted by GrangerIrish24 View Post
                Not just another CB but on from 11W's Andrew Lind. Getting all the OSU CB's on this one.

This comes on the heels of Loy saying he thinks Briggs is already one of the odd men out in the DT haul for '19.

Too bad ND doesn't build a Prep school so it can stash guys like this for a year like Navy does in Rhode Island. The Sorin Prep Rock's, it has a ring.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                  Not just another CB but on from 11W's Andrew Lind. Getting all the OSU CB's on this one.

This comes on the heels of Loy saying he thinks Briggs is already one of the odd men out in the DT haul for '19.

Too bad ND doesn't build a Prep school so it can stash guys like this for a year like Navy does in Rhode Island. The Sorin Prep Rock's, it has a ring.
                  You don't "stash" top 100 players with offers from Bama, OSU, and Michigan. I think Loy is off his rocker if he thinks Briggs is gonna get left out.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                    You don't "stash" top 100 players with offers from Bama, OSU, and Michigan. I think Loy is off his rocker if he thinks Briggs is gonna get left out.
                    I agree if Briggs wants in you take him and worry about numbers later.

Comment

Irish Illustrated podcast and Mike Elston in his presser alluded to the fact that they are going to take 7 DLineman (that was said, not alluded to) and they were not going to turn away all the top guys they are in it with. So I would be extremely disappointed if they all of the sudden decided to change that and not take a top 100 player and top 5 DT

.9668 DT Jowon Briggs
                      .9484 DT Mazi Smith
                      .9384 DT Jacob Lacey
                      .9315 DE Joseph Anderson
                      .9261 DT Rodas Johnson
                      .9145 DT Hunter Spears

Take all 6 and find one of the 5 DT's to be a SDE with Joseph Anderson and then spend the rest of the year going after WDE's. I also think that of those 6 above, one of them could be blown away on a visit to a different school and we could quickly go from the drivers seat to second fiddle. So take, take, take, and take some more.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                        Bama does.

What Loy is saying is he's hearing that ND is taking 2 more pure DT's on top of Lacey, Spears & one of, in this order, Smith, Johnson & then Briggs.

On top of that add 6-5/295 Josh Harris' offer after they have more leans from the 6-2/6-3 group than it sounds like they want to take and I'd bet they'd bump another of the current (shorter) DT's off the take list.

...and their's always Joseph Anderson, who a lot of people (me included) feel is destined for a Rochell like, swing career at ND.

Comment

Bama does.

What Loy is saying is he's hearing that ND is taking 2 more pure DT's on top of Lacey, Spears & one of, in this order, Smith, Johnson & then Briggs.

On top of that add 6-5/295 Josh Harris' offer after they have more leans from the 6-2/6-3 group than it sounds like they want to take and I'd bet they'd bump another of the current (shorter) DT's off the take list.
                          To expand on this, ISD was saying the other day that we shouldn't be surprised if not all of these DTs are in the class due to the fact that quite a few are "undersized". Specifically Briggs was brought up as being small

Comment

Take all of them and start playing a 4 man front:

SDE - DT - DT - SDE

And hopefully one of the SDEs can get occasional pressure. No one will ever run on us. We just need uber athletic LB/S play

Simple right?

Comment

Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                              Irish Illustrated podcast and Mike Elston in his presser alluded to the fact that they are going to take 7 DLineman (that was said, not alluded to) and they were not going to turn away all the top guys they are in it with. So I would be extremely disappointed if they all of the sudden decided to change that and not take a top 100 player and top 5 DT

.9668 DT Jowon Briggs
                              .9484 DT Mazi Smith
                              .9384 DT Jacob Lacey
                              .9315 DE Joseph Anderson
                              .9261 DT Rodas Johnson
                              .9145 DT Hunter Spears

Take all 6 and find one of the 5 DT's to be a SDE with Joseph Anderson and then spend the rest of the year going after WDE's. I also think that of those 6 above, one of them could be blown away on a visit to a different school and we could quickly go from the drivers seat to second fiddle. So take, take, take, and take some more.
                              None of those DT's are swinging out and I'd put the chance of Johnson AND Briggs getting out of Ohio at 5%.

All these CB's to ND mean the analysts believe the Irish currently lead for each. But that's gonna change as the DT commit count rises for ND. Rodas Johnson hasn't been offered by hometown OSU yet. Is he gonna say no to Urban when he gets around to offering and ND has 3 DT's and Anderson already committed? Are any of them gonna say no to OSU/UM/MSU/PSU when ND has 4 committed and they could go into a heavy as the #1 DT in the class?

I think the offer to Joshua Harris alone says ND isn't satisfied with it's current inventory of leads.

Time will tell but I get Loy's thinking here cuz it's what I've been saying for a while.

Comment

None of those DT's are swinging out and I'd put the chance of Johnson AND Briggs getting out of Ohio at 5%.

All these CB's to ND mean the analysts believe the Irish currently lead for each. But that's gonna change as the DT commit count rises for ND. Rodas Johnson hasn't been offered by hometown OSU yet. Is he gonna say no to Urban when he gets around to offering and ND has 3 DT's and Anderson already committed? Are any of them gonna say no to OSU/UM/MSU/PSU when ND has 4 committed and they could go into a heavy as the #1 DT in the class?

I think the offer to Joshua Harris alone says ND isn't satisfied with it's current inventory of leads.

Time will tell but I get Loy's thinking here cuz it's what I've been saying for a while.
                                Yes, I totally understand that process. I have thought and think currently that there is no way in hell that all 5 of the DT's we lead for right now end up at ND, but I'm just of the thinking that if you get Mazi Smith, Jacob Lacey, and Hunter Spears on board, and Briggs really wants in after all that then don't tell him you're waiting on Rodas Johnson to decide first. Ideally you can get one of those Ohio DT's in the fold before Urbie comes back to his own state for recruiting because when he does come back later in the cycle, he'll he hard as hell to fight for that prospect. Also its on the staff to figure out which of the two ohio DT's would be more likely to flip if Urbie came after them and maybe take the more likely to stay in the class if the talent level is close. Its a good problem to have all of these DT's interested in ND. Last year, Alabama might have led for a dozen 4-5* receivers during the cycle and ended up with 2 really good ones. Long story short, doesn't matter to me who of the 5 big time DT's we take, just as long as we take a couple and end up with a good class which seems likely at this point.

Comment

Ellis CB... to OSU

Comment

Been tellin' ya'll, ND's gonna have to say no to some really good DT's this cycle.

What a great problem to finally have.

Comment

3/12/18 CB to ND by Ryan Donnelly LandOf10 Ohio State recruiting analyst

Comment

Four-star Jowon Briggs focused on being a true student-athlete

Jowon Briggs has been raised to be more than just a football player, but the four-star defensive tackle certainly is an extremely talented football player.

It's become a very "in" thing for high school football recruits to talk about how important their education is to them, and one can only hope that this is a positive trend that will continue to gain in popularity.

Cincinnati Walnut Hills defensive tackle Jowon Briggs has been talking about his academic goals since he was a high school sophomore and first hit the recruiting radar. That is still his message today.

"I do think about college often, but I really don't think about the recruiting stuff all that often," Briggs stated. "I'm just more focused on working, studying, lifting and playing to sports to give that much thought to recruiting. I have a lot of time for that, and the time will come."

"I want to study some type of math or computer programming in college, and right now I'm taking a lot of AP classes to prepare me for that," he added. "I'm taking AP calculus, AP computer science and AP engineering, and that keeps me busy. That's what I like the most."

Briggs is the son of college educated parents, and he credits them for instilling the value and importance of education in him at any early age.

"It comes from my parents big-time, and they always told me that football isn't forever, but you need to have a plan for life after football," Briggs admitted. "My older sister was an academic wizard, and she's in engineering right now, and she motivates me as well."

Even though the four-star lineman might not be focused heavily on recruiting at this time, he is in contact with college coaches and has taken a few visits, including a recent one to Tennessee.

"I haven't taken too many visits lately, but I was at Tennessee a few weeks ago." Briggs explained. "It was really nice being there, and it seems like they're in the middle of a rebuilding phase. I did speak to Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt, and I know he knows how to win."

"He's bringing a new attitude to Tennessee, and I think he's going to be successful," he said. "I am going to consider them going forward, but I'm considering every school right now. I haven't narrowed down my list at all."

Briggs landed early offers from such schools as Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio State, and he remains interested in all three programs.

"I don't have any visits scheduled coming up," Briggs noted. "My last visits were mostly for games last fall. I haven't really talked to Michigan in a while, and we were in contact when they offered. I think Coach (Al) Washington is a cool guy, but we haven't talked much at all."

"With Ohio State, I would say that Coach (Larry) Johnson hits me up every other day or so," he said. "I would say we have a relationship, and we text back and forth. With them, they know how to win for sure, and they have that type of culture."

"With Notre Dame, things are goods and that program is real nice," he stressed. "Notre Dame is really nice, and I'm trying to get out there in the near future. I'm trying to gather more information on them."

Since Briggs is not concentrating his focus on recruiting at this time, it does not look like a decision will be coming any time soon.

"I will probably wait until Signing Day, because I just don't see the need to rush things," Briggs exclaimed. "I'm just taking things really slow right now, and it's just one more thing I will have to focus on when the time is right."

Briggs is ranked as the No. 4 defensive tackle in America by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Meet Jowon Briggs, no, not the 2019 Top100 DT football recruit. The one that loves and participates in theater, choir and can play over 10 instruments. <br><br>My feature on a young man, who is far more than a just a star on the football field: <a href="https://t.co/SGaXsFKffn">https://t.co/SGaXsFKffn</a> <a href="https://t.co/mX5J6n49MR">pic.twitter.com/mX5J6n49MR</a></p>&mdash; Shane Kinnee (@_ShaneKinnee) <a href="https://twitter.com/_ShaneKinnee/status/996407124728205313?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
                                          <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                          Super, super impressive sounding kid. I hope that in January of 2019, Elston needs another DT and gives Jowon Briggs a ring. Cause this kid sounds very intellectually curious and bright.

Comment

Super, super impressive sounding kid. I hope that in January of 2019, Elston needs another DT and gives Jowon Briggs a ring. Cause this kid sounds very intellectually curious and bright.
                                            Agreed he's an RKG all day long and I'd love prospects like him in every class... but they got 3 long term IL's committed and are only losing 2 or sure, though movement from MDT or Ewell wouldn't shock anybody. If Briggs made it into this class I'd guess that meant MDT GT'd / took a medical and either Ewell transferred or one of Lacey/Spears/Cross didn't sign. I love Briggs but I'd rather have Ewell's switch flipped and have a 6-3.5/325 block of granite in the middle than another undersized DT on the roster. A backwards as it sounds, I hope there's no room/need for him this cycle.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Meet Jowon Briggs, no, not the 2019 Top100 DT football recruit. The one that loves and participates in theater, choir and can play over 10 instruments. <br><br>My feature on a young man, who is far more than a just a star on the football field: <a href="https://t.co/SGaXsFKffn">https://t.co/SGaXsFKffn</a> <a href="https://t.co/mX5J6n49MR">pic.twitter.com/mX5J6n49MR</a></p>&mdash; Shane Kinnee (@_ShaneKinnee) <a href="https://twitter.com/_ShaneKinnee/status/996407124728205313?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
                                              <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                              Agreed he's an RKG all day long and I'd love prospects like him in every class... but they got 3 long term IL's committed and are only losing 2 or sure, though movement from MDT or Ewell wouldn't shock anybody. If Briggs made it into this class I'd guess that meant MDT GT'd / took a medical and either Ewell transferred or one of Lacey/Spears/Cross didn't sign. I love Briggs but I'd rather have Ewell's switch flipped and have a 6-3.5/325 block of granite in the middle than another undersized DT on the roster. A backwards as it sounds, I hope there's no room/need for him this cycle.
                                              Watch him sign and then drop football to play school. I hate those kind of recruits!

Comment

His high school is a very good one in the Cincy area. Bad neighborhood, but good school.

Comment

It's become a daily occurrence on ND boards. ND fans lamenting about taking MOAR DT's

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                    It's become a daily occurrence on ND boards. ND fans lamenting about taking MOAR DT's
                                                    One can never have enough contributing D Linemen.

Comment

Originally posted by T Town Tommy View Post
                                                      One can never have enough contributing D Linemen.
                                                      Not really relevant to this conversation though. We aren't taking about discontinuing DL recruiting period, we are talking about not taking more DT's, because we need more DE's. Creating a 5 deep at NT, when you only have a 2 deep at SDE, is just poor scholarship management.
                                                      Last edited by Luckylucci; 05-15-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

We talked about this a year ago... That ND was gonna be in such a good place with DT's that they'd eventually be saying no to one or two of the DT's they led for then (which at the time was Lacey, Briggs, smith, Johnson & Anderson at the swing DL)

Now if someone would have told me that ND would only get Lacey from that group and I'd still be happy, I'd have laughed in their face.

Comment

We talked about this a year ago... That ND was gonna be in such a good place with DT's that they'd eventually be saying no to one or two of the DT's they led for then (which at the time was Lacey, Briggs, smith, Johnson & Anderson at the swing DL)

Now if someone would have told me that ND would only get Lacey from that group and I'd still be happy, I'd have laughed in their face.
                                                          I think the question I have is did we not end up with more from that group because A) we like these others significantly more, or B) the ones we ended up with we're on accelerated timelines and bird in hand is worth two in bush
                                                          Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                            I think the question I have is did we not end up with more from that group because A) we like these others significantly more, or B) the ones we ended up with we're on accelerated timelines and bird in hand is worth two in bush
                                                            My answer for myself is it doesn't matter.

I have no idea what the staff's thinking was or feelings are but film for film and resume v. resume, I'll take Lacey, Spears, Cross over Lacey + two of: Smith, Briggs, Johnson.

Comment

My answer for myself is it doesn't matter.

I have no idea what the staff's thinking was or feelings are but film for film and resume v. resume, I'll take Lacey, Spears, Cross over Lacey + two of: Smith, Briggs, Johnson.
                                                              I certainly don't disagree just would be interesting to know the decision process the coaches have to make in regards to the options noted.
                                                              Prehistoric

Comment

To add, Spears grew into a DT and after getting him on campus a couple of times, he quickly shot to the top of the board. So that's when the Fab 5 conversation started with Nana, Smith, Lacey, Spears, and Anderson. At that point, it sounded like 7 DL was the number. Now it sounds like it might be 6. Also, Anderson became an academic casualty so the staff had to move on. Cross filled his spot, and he's a very adequate option to pencil in. And as the number went from 7 to 6, another DT wasn't in the cards. So we're more than likely going to land 3 of the Fab 5, with one academic casualty and 1 not having a spot.

Comment

Bill Greene was on Bucknuts Morning 5 this morning and said that while ND and pOSU are currently the teams with crystal balls, he thinks that a third team will eventually emerge. He thinks that ND will probably be full for DL by the time that Jowon is ready to make a decision and he believes that pOSU is not currently sold on him. pOSU has DT's that are higher on their board, but will continue to recruit him.

Bill Greene also said that Briggs is probably 6'1" but will fight to the death when he is on the field.

Briggs had previously mentioned to Greene that he didn't really have any plans to dive into the recruiting process until his senior year. While he has taken a few visits, he doesn't talk to many coaches etc. Probably won't commit until late fall or could go all the way to signing day.

Comment

He thinks that ND will probably be full for DL by the time that Jowon is ready to make a decision
                                                                    Is he really not a take no matter what? Briggs would be our highest rated recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by KizerWilhelm View Post
                                                                      Is he really not a take no matter what? Briggs would be our highest rated recruit.
                                                                      I wouldn't say no matter what. I'm sure there are circumstances where he'd be a take down the road. Just not sure those are very likely.

Comment

I wouldn't say no matter what. I'm sure there are circumstances where he'd be a take down the road. Just not sure those are very likely.
                                                                        Think he meant that he's surprised there are ANY circumstances that could see him left out if he wants in.

Comment

Give it a few weeks, I'd be shocked if that commitment stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                                                                            Give it a few weeks, I'd be shocked if that commitment stuck
                                                                            I dunno, this seems like a kid who wouldnít do that.
                                                                            Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• #89
                                                                              Wish him the best, seemed like a great kid. Might not have had many options in the end. I could see the recruitment getting interesting if a lot of those schools started get involved again.

Comment

• #90
                                                                                Wherever he goes, I hope he gets an education on par with UVA

Comment

• #91
                                                                                  Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                  Wherever he goes, I hope he gets an education on par with UVA
                                                                                  This. Assuming he's not the next Dwight Freeny, I hope he gets the most powerful education he can.
                                                                                  The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                  Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• #92
                                                                                    if he canít get a spot at ND, then Iím glad he ended up at Virginia. Thatís as good of an academic school as youíll find in the FBS

Comment

• #93
                                                                                      if he canít get a spot at ND, then Iím glad he ended up at Virginia. Thatís as good of an academic school as youíll find in the FBS
                                                                                      And it's NOT scUM, O$U, U$C, Stanford ....

Comment

• #94
                                                                                        UVA getting creative this cycle, a Danish DT and a German ATH and OL.

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/201...hot-2019-class
                                                                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

• #95
                                                                                          Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                          UVA getting creative this cycle, a Danish DT and a German ATH and OL.

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/201...hot-2019-class
                                                                                          When your head coach is a Mormon who did this all the time at BYU, I'd guess that this will become more and more common for them.

Comment

• #96
                                                                                            Originally posted by DONTH8 View Post
                                                                                            When your head coach is a Mormon who did this all the time at BYU, I'd guess that this will become more and more common for them.
                                                                                            indeed he recruited rugby players from NZ, Tonga, American Samoa to play football for him at BYU in the past.
                                                                                            What did Davonte do?

Comment

• #97
                                                                                              Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                              indeed he recruited rugby players from NZ, Tonga, American Samoa to play football for him at BYU in the past.
                                                                                              And track/basketball players from Ghana

Comment

• #98
                                                                                                I hope he doesn't make my Got Away Hall of Fame. I'll be rooting for Spears to keep him off of it. I'd really like to know the story of how/why he got away from OSU, ND and the rest of the B1G. Ended the year as the #60 overall player on Rivals, #82 on ESPN, #123 on 247. Biggins had him at #5 on D today at the UA practice.

Also listed at 6-2/299 now.

https://247sports.com/Article/Top-pe...ame-127072902/

5. DL, Jowon Briggs, Cincinnati (Ohio) Walnut Hills- Briggs was part of a dominant Team Ballaholic defensive line. He took reps at both tackle and end and didnít lose a single one that we saw. Heís a big, strong kid with positional versatility and can play in any scheme. He has strong hands and just bullied opposing offensive lineman today. The Virginia signee is rated the No. 68 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite.

Comment

• #99
                                                                                                  Yeah really wish would have taken him and said to hell with the scholarship chart

Comment

• Not that ND had the room in the class, but they passed on Jowon Briggs and looks like heís gonna be the day 1 starter at UVA at NT. Thatís pretty wild. Turns out heís 6í1Ē 295 which is pretty small for a NT in terms of height but apparently heís balling out in camp and picking things up quickly. Hopefully he has a good long career at UVA. Heís a super bright and intelligent young man.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X