Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'19 OH DT Jowon Briggs (Virginia Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '19 OH DT Jowon Briggs (Virginia Verbal)

Defensive Tackle
    Walnut Hills, OH (HS)

Measurements:
    6-2

Ratings:
    Comp ........... 4 star ..... #6 DT ..... #68 OA ..... .9665 rating
    247 .............. 4 star ..... #5 DT ..... #71 OA
    Rivals ........... 4 star ..... #4 DT ..... #68 OA
    Scout ........... 4 star ..... #10 DT .... #156 OA
    ESPN ........... 4 star ..... #6 DT ...... #79 OA

Offers:
    Notre Dame
    Bama
    Cincy
    Iowa
    Iowa St
    Kentucky
    Miami U
    Michigan
    Mich St
    Ohio St
    Penn St
    Purdue
    Rutgers
    Temple
    Virginia ............... Committed 6-22-18
    Wisconsin

Media Links:

Jowon Briggs - Hudl

Twitter - briggsjowon0

Highlights:

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7383795/58b38887c11a092a5056f4c0' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by NDCrusader; 06-22-2018, 05:13 PM.

Top young Ohio defensive tackle sets big spring visits

April 2nd

Comment

Visiting today for Soph Day.

Word is he's an ND renaissance man.

Walnut Hills ‘Ragtime’ overflows with emotion, power

Comment

Notre Dame sophomore day recruiting buzz

The 247Sports Crystal Ball is also all OSU for Cincinnati (Ohio) Walnut Hills defensive tackle Jowon Briggs but that may not be accurate. Notre Dame is very much a major contender to land Briggs who is an academic kid and strong personality fit in South Bend.

Comment

Latest on Notre Dame and Top100 DT Jowon Briggs

Loy is leaning towards ND

While everyone else has him leaning towards OSU

Stop me if you've heard this before

Comment

He's really good, lol

Comment

What his tweet reminded me of...
              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Helmholdt with the Rivals version of a CB to ND.

Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio State have been the big three in Briggs’ recruitment since the early stages. The hometown Cincinnati Bearcats are now pushing their way into that top group and there are strong connections there. Briggs is a unique recruit, however, in part because he comes into the process not having grown up with any interest in college football. His personality strikes me as one that fits well in South Bend, and Notre Dame’s academic merits certainly help as well.

Prediction: Notre Dame
                https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals100-...st-predictions

Comment

Didn't make Scout's Top 125 which puts him no better than #8 and if you use their order of listing as a ranking he comes in as the #18 DT, #17 if you kick out Hunter Spears as he's an SDE. He's the last 4 star on the list.

Comment

Wiltfong and Loy with CB's for ND.

That's Lacey, Briggs & Johnson all to ND.

Group LOL at 6:30pm EST.

Comment

2019 class is shaping up to be ridiculous and ELITE

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                        2019 class is shaping up to be ridiculous and ELITE
                        I love it but with optimistic skepticism. Hope we can start off 2019 class on an awesome note, but we gotta win games before it all becomes a realistic reality. So much at stake this season! Just win, and they will come! Very encouraging! We just have to win! Go Irish!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ndcoltsfan2010 View Post
                          I love it but with optimistic skepticism. Hope we can start off 2019 class on an awesome note, but we gotta win games before it all becomes a realistic reality. So much at stake this season! Just win, and they will come! Very encouraging! We just have to win! Go Irish!!!!!
                          I was being 110% sarcastic but I'm happy about your optimism. I'm trying to buy into it man. Just can't drink the kool aid yet

Comment

I was being 110% sarcastic but I'm happy about your optimism. I'm trying to buy into it man. Just can't drink the kool aid yet
                            I don't even think we have to make miracles happen. I think 9 wins and all losses we are right there, the talking heads will cover over and over how close we are to being elite and that last year was a one off. So much so that the pitch for recruits will be "You can finish the job" or some sort of corny mantra of the sort.
                            When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

What Kool-aid? That ND might sign some really good players? Like they do every cycle. Per the 247 composite team rankings, I believe, we had the 6th most "stars" on our roster last year. Not sure why it has to be Kool-aid drinking to simply observe the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                What Kool-aid? That ND might sign some really good players? Like they do every cycle. Per the 247 composite team rankings, I believe, we had the 6th most "stars" on our roster last year. Not sure why it has to be Kool-aid drinking to simply observe the truth.
                                I was more or less talking about how us as fans especially on this site will always say the 2016 class or the 2018 class will be the next 2013 class and will help us get over the top and then by June we are wondering what's going on and why our "guys we lead for" are leaning elsewhere.

I am also referring to not buying into the hype for this season yet till I see the results on field. I'll believe it when I see it and am not going to get over excited yet even though I'm somewhat optimistic

Where did I say we won't land good players? or believe we don't have "stars" on this roster which I do believe this roster is lacking in some star power. I like this roster but I don't know if it's good enough to compete for playoff spots or championships and the classes we are bringing in at are going to get us over that hump consistently. I've always said these classes lack true star power and guys that can step in and are ready to roll right away. We need to start landing those guys especially on the defensive side of the ball. Landing Derick Allen, Jayson and Phil is a good start. Need to close with guys like Simon, Oweh and pull some surprises.

Think you totally missed what I was referring too

Comment

I was more or less talking about how us as fans especially on this site will always say the 2016 class or the 2018 class will be the next 2013 class and will help us get over the top and then by June we are wondering what's going on and why our "guys we lead for" are leaning elsewhere.

I am also referring to not buying into the hype for this season yet till I see the results on field. I'll believe it when I see it and am not going to get over excited yet even though I'm somewhat optimistic

Where did I say we won't land good players? or believe we don't have "stars" on this roster which I do believe this roster is lacking in some star power. I like this roster but I don't know if it's good enough to compete for playoff spots or championships and the classes we are bringing in at are going to get us over that hump consistently. I've always said these classes lack true star power and guys that can step in and are ready to roll right away. We need to start landing those guys especially on the defensive side of the ball. Landing Derick Allen, Jayson and Phil is a good start. Need to close with guys like Simon, Oweh and pull some surprises.

Think you totally missed what I was referring too
                                  But nobody said that, so I'm not sure why it's relevant here?

Comment

Good to see is offering really good prospects but we need to win this year.
                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

This is interesting. ISD posted something in Intel this week about ND and this gentleman not being as great a fit as they initially thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                        This is interesting. ISD posted something in Intel this week about ND and this gentleman not being as great a fit as they initially thought.
                                        I'll be interested to see what they meant by that. From what I've read from non-recrutnik sources, I'd think just the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                          I'll be interested to see what they meant by that. From what I've read from non-recrutnik sources, I'd think just the opposite.
                                          He goes to a very good high school. But Walnut Hills is a rough area. Maybe it has something to do with the neighborhood influences? That seems to happen a fair amount in college and professional sports

Comment

2019 4-Star Jowon Briggs Is A Wanted Man In Recruiting Circles

Even though he still has two seasons of high school football remaining at Cincinnati Walnut Hills, four-star defensive tackle Jowon Briggs has already hit the recruiting radar in a big way.

Briggs holds offers from the likes of Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, and many others. He has already taken a few unofficial visits in an attempt to learn more about each school.

"I have put recruiting on the back burner right now, because I'm more worried about my upcoming season right now," Briggs stated. "My most recent unofficial visit was to Alabama a few weeks ago. It seemed like a real, true, football school, and that's the vibe I got from there. It was obvious that football was really big to them."

"I just feel like a place I would be comfortable the most is a place where there are people that think the same way I think about things," he added. "I feel like I'd like to get into other things besides football, and I'm going to college to emphasize education. I enjoy football, but I also enjoy getting an education and I want to enjoy college."

"I definitely don't have any favorite school right now at all," he continued. "I'm wide open to hearing from every school."

Briggs has also visited several Midwest powers, and he took the time to discuss his thoughts on each of those schools.

NOTRE DAME: "They have a great 2018 recruiting class coming in, and I feel they're about to be something special again. The school is a place I'm comfortable at, but it different with all the cathedrals and places where you could sit down and pray. You don't get that anywhere else. I always like going to unique places, and checking them out, so Notre Dame is great to me."

OHIO STATE: "When I went there on a visit, they didn't really do an academic presentation and I haven't really done much research on them yet. I have to go up there and collect more information on them."

MICHIGAN: "They are a school that emphasizes academics, and they have an acting program that is similar to Cincinnati's conservatory of music. They're music program isn't shabby at all. The coaches are people I can relate to, so I like them a lot."

MICHIGAN STATE: "Like with Ohio State, when I was at Michigan State I was only there for football, so I really need to get back up there and do more research on them as a program."

CINCINNATI: "There is a buzz about UC right now, especially with their 2018 class. I've talked a couple times with (Bearcat defensive end commit) Malik Vann, and it seems that Luke Fickell is bringing an element of change to the program."

With his season starting up soon, and Briggs being busy with his team on the weekends, there might not be too many game visits on his schedule in the next few months.

"It will be tough for me to go anywhere this fall during my season," Briggs explained. "Whenever I can get free after my season, I will want to get out and see some college games."

Comment

Malik Vann... blast from the past!
                                              The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
                                              ― Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

Originally posted by NDLightning35 View Post
                                                Malik Vann... blast from the past!
                                                That's what I was thinking when I saw his name.

Comment

seemed like ND had the ONLY glowing review
                                                  EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                    seemed like ND had the ONLY glowing review
                                                    I certainly felt that way reading it.

Comment

Is he leaning towards deciding anytime soon? Also music major? Or acting? Anyone know what our programs are like in that area?
                                                      The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
                                                      ― Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

Originally posted by NDLightning35 View Post
                                                        Is he leaning towards deciding anytime soon? Also music major? Or acting? Anyone know what our programs are like in that area?
                                                        GOOD THING THE MUSIC DEPARTMENT IS MOVING TO CAMPUS CROSSROADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                        I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

11W's Andrew Ellis just gave Briggs a CB for ND.

If these CB's a remotely accurate, ND is going to say no to a .9200+ DT next cycle... or they could offer Rodas Johnson at CB and take em all

Comment

Keep the winning and the positive atmosphere and 2019's class could be something that's talked about in the years to come.
                                                            I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                                              Keep the winning and the positive atmosphere and 2019's class could be something that's talked about in the years to come.
                                                              Though I agree that it could be really good even better top to bottom than 18'. The 2018 class is going to be the foundation. Phil J, Kevin Austin, Simon, Jayson A, Derrik Allen, Lamb, etc. are the future of Irish football. I don't see those guys getting beaten out by players coming in behind.

The way I think of it is, the combination of the two classes will be what ends up being special. That could set us up for a multi year run at the playoffs.

Comment

Though I agree that it could be really good even better top to bottom than 18'. The 2018 class is going to be the foundation. Phil J, Kevin Austin, Simon, Jayson A, Derrik Allen, Lamb, etc. are the future of Irish football. I don't see those guys getting beaten out by players coming in behind.

The way I think of it is, the combination of the two classes will be what ends up being special. That could set us up for a multi year run at the playoffs.
                                                                Last year's class has some foundation players too. Especially on D in the front 7.
                                                                Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                  Last year's class has some foundation players too. Especially on D in the front 7.
                                                                  MTA!

Comment

Somewhat agree

Can't whiff on the oline this year.

Graduations and transfers have impacted Oline depth significantly

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                      Absolutely, and that's why I usually take a two year look at everything. Combine last years TE/OL/RB with this years WR/QB/RB haul and you have the makings of something special. Also, there are some guys in that class that I was a lot higher on that most, like MTA. I think that class had some real underappreciated talent.

However, and this is just my opinion, as underrated as the 17' class might turn out to be, I think the 18' class will be as well, and they are rated higher to start. I think that the players I named in my previous post are all true difference makers in time. Plus, we're not done yet with this class. If we can land some quality DB's and OL, it will be more balanced as well.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopdog View Post
                                                                        Somewhat agree

Can't whiff on the oline this year.

Graduations and transfers have impacted Oline depth significantly
                                                                        What's whiffing? They have two in the class, have 11 total on the roster for next year and that's figuring in Jimmy Bryne not using his Grad year.

They are going to have 8-9 starting, P5 level OL's on next year's squad.

They'll add another OG this class and then rake in '19 like they did in '17. Watch out for Luke Jones from Arkansas. I know HH wouldn't have drug that kid up here for sh!ts & giggles. He must really like him.

and as always... Finn Dirstine and Emil Ekiyor are checking their DM's daily.

Comment

What's whiffing? They have two in the class, have 11 total on the roster for next year and that's figuring in Jimmy Bryne not using his Grad year.

They'll add another OG this class and then rake in '19 like they did in '17. Watch out for Luke Jones from Arkansas. I know HH wouldn't have drug that kid up here for sh!ts & giggles. He must really like him.

I don't think the staff is out of it for NPF yet. He's an HH future first round special.

Comment

I don't think the staff is out of it for NPF yet. He's an HH future first round special.
                                                                            I don't think they're out of it either. I'm just playing the odds and making a prediction/accepting the probable/planning around it.

Would love NPF but long term, it's not a fatal miss w/ Eichenberg, Kraemer, Hainsey and Lugg having so much eligibility to bridge until 2019's RKG's are sophs.

Comment

• #41

Last year they added Hainsey, Banks, Lugg and lost Hoge and Boudreaux

This year they lose McGlinchey, Nelson, possibly Mustipher and add Mabry and Dirksen (obviously not done)....

They aren't exactly trending in the right direction....I would argue (and correctly) they are trending downward.

Losing a MCG and Nelson and replacing them with Mabry and Dirksen is not exactly comforting.

This is in no way to disparage Kraemer, Eichenberg, Hainsay, Banks and Lugg...or remaining Olinemen.....But I see a Natural drop off from the 2017 vintage Oline to the 2018 model. Losing two potential top 10 NFL picks will do that....and Mustipher will probably grade out as a first or second day pick.

I think the oline is getting a wee bit overlooked....especially in light with wjht is currentky coming in.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                Originally posted by snoopdog View Post
                                                                                Last year they added Hainsey, Banks, Lugg, and lost Hoge and Boudreaux

This year they lose McGlinchey, Nelson, possibly Mustipher and add Mabry and Dirksen (obviously not done)....

They aren't exactly trending in the right direction....I would argue (and correctly) they are trending downward.

Losing a MCG and Nelson and replacing them with Mabry and Dirksen is not exactly comforting.

This is in no way to disparage Kraemer, Eichenberg, Hainsay, Banks and Lugg...or remaining Olinemen.....But I see a Natural drop off from the 2017 vintage Oline to the 2018 model. Losing two potential top 10 NFL picks will do that....and Mustipher will probably grade out as a first or second day pick.

I think the oline is getting a wee bit overlooked....especially in light with wjht is currentky coming in.
                                                                                Counterpoint:

They added Gibbons last year also.

IF they lost Mustipher, their #2 OC - Ruhland returns. You are the only one afraid Mustipher leaves btw.

You don't replace Q and McG with the freshman, you shuffle/replace them with Eichenberg, Kraemer Lugg, Haisnsey & Banks... the next guys in... not kids who will redshirt. Q and McG got replaced in '16 & '17. that's how recruiting is supposed to work.

Who's over looking the O line? HH? or we worrisome fans? They had Luke Jones, Murray and NPF in town for USC. HH is doing his part.

Maybe a mod can dump all of this in NPF's thread?

.
                                                                                Last edited by NDCrusader; 10-25-2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                  Briggs up one spot to #3 DT but falls 28 spots to #96 OA.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                    Alex Gleitman from Bucknuts247 with a CB for the Irish.

I can see ND having 3 maybe 4 DT's on board by the end of the Spring OV's

Comment

• #45
                                                                                      Alex Gleitman from Bucknuts247 with a CB for the Irish.

I can see ND having 3 maybe 4 DT's on board by the end of the Spring OV's
                                                                                      I hope we get 4 DTs on board and then hire a DC who runs a 3-4. It'd be so fitting to have them all decommit.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                        Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                                                                                        I hope we get 4 DTs on board and then hire a DC who runs a 3-4. It'd be so fitting to have them all decommit.
                                                                                        With Lea as the "possible" DC, he'll run 7 linebackers.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                          (Copy/paste/edit from Rodas J's thread)

Briggs gets another ND CB (5-1 total and the only OSU CB was over a year ago by Lind/OSU... Gleitman/OSU came in a month ago for ND).

Could he end up in South Bend with Lacey and the 4 other 2019 DT's ND leads for?... and that doesn't count Joseph Anderson who I'll leave at SDE.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                            (Copy/paste/edit from Rodas J's thread)

Briggs gets another ND CB (5-1 total and the only OSU CB was over a year ago by Lind/OSU... Gleitman/OSU came in a month ago for ND).

Could he end up in South Bend with Lacey and the 4 other 2019 DT's ND leads for?... and that doesn't count Joseph Anderson who I'll leave at SDE.
                                                                                            Damn this is great. Give me all the DT's that want to come. A dominant D-line = Championship caliber team.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                              Originally posted by AllGoldEverything View Post
                                                                                              Damn this is great. Give me all the DT's that want to come. A dominant D-line = Championship caliber team.
                                                                                              The staff is clearly aware, per Elstons comments, that this 19 DL class has a lot of ND interest in it. They are prepared to add quite a few in this class, Elstons number was 7.

If it were me, and all parties were cool with a 4 DT class (8 DL overall), Id do so. DL recruiting can be spotty, so take them while you can. With that said, Im a little skeptical thats possible.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                The staff is clearly aware, per Elstons comments, that this 19 DL class has a lot of ND interest in it. They are prepared to add quite a few in this class, Elstons number was 7.

If it were me, and all parties were cool with a 4 DT class (8 DL overall), Id do so. DL recruiting can be spotty, so take them while you can. With that said, Im a little skeptical thats possible.
                                                                                                We could definitely help the cause this season by continuing to develop a D-line rotation and getting Jayson Ademilola or JaMion Franklin some serious run. If we have young guys rotating in early and often, itll be that much easier to sell a 3- or 4- man DT class.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                Working...
                                                                                                X