Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'18 DC CB Noah Boykin (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
    I think the coaches legitimately like what Agoro provides in press coverage...

But I still don't think he's actually gonna be counted on to do anything.

1. Pride
    2. Griffith
    3. Bracy
    4. Vaughn
    5. Crawford

Even if you don't think you can count on Vaugh and/or Crawford for a full year, you have two freshmen coming in that might be able to get game-ready at some point in Wallace and Rutherford.
    I’m not going to lie I completely forgot about Vaughn. Starting to feel slightly better already! I do think our 2 frosh coming in my need a year with Balis before they can be truly counted on.

Comment

• Avery davis in the nickel too. Maybe he can play on the outside?

Comment

• 2020 DB Roster (11 Scholarships)
        RS SR 4* Shaun Crawford
        RS SR 3* Alohi Gilman
        RS JR 4* Avery Davis
        JR 4* Houston Griffith
        JR 3* Tariq Bracy
        RS SO 4* Derrik Allen
        RS SO 3* DJ Brown
        SO 5* Kyle Hamilton
        RS FR 4* Isaiah Rutherford
        RS FR 4* Litchfield Ajavon
        RS FR 4* KJ Wallace

I think Boykin leaving is a really tough blow for the future of the DB position group. I think Studstill taking off sucks, but he wasn't going to start for his senior year and it made sense for that move to happen. However, next season ND could be losing Troy Pride, Alohi Gilman, Jalen Elliott, Donte Vaughn, and Shaun Crawford which leave a ton of snaps up for grabs. As far as eligibility goes, ND has 11 scholarship guys with eligibility to come back, but I think the two top guys, Alohi Gilman and Shaun Crawford, are as good as gone. Gilman wants to go to the NFL after this year and Shaun Crawford has the option to return for a 6th year, but I don't know what kind of medical issues might hang that up from happening. Even if by some miracle both of those guys returned then you'd still need anywhere from 5-7 DB's in the cycle to have a full 4 deep at every position.

I think recruiting at this position group was just amplified big time. Clark Phillips just became a big time need for ND and hopefully they can pull in a few more impact guys. I know they are recruiting tons of DB's and got a bunch of them on campus in 2019 so far. Clark Phillips, Chris Thompson Jr (just scheduled a June OV), Lathan Ransom, Enzo Jennings, Jordan Morant (just visited and now has an OV scheduled), Kristian Story (coming in June), Makari Paige (don't know how hard the staff is still pushing for him), Ryan Watts, Mordecai McDaniel, and Landen Bartleson (I think he's becoming a take at this point with how many DB's they need). Hopefully they can get to at least 5 DB's for this cycle and hopefully some big time ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
          Didn't sound like he was making many plays or "flashing" through the Spring so not sure how big of a deal it is short term. However, long term still think he had big time upside and removes another name from the 20' CB competition.
          Originally posted by beryirish View Post
          With four years of eligibility he definitely had time to impress and wait his turn. Next spring would have been ideal I think to make that determination. Maybe it was more than football that went into his decision.
          Hard to tell. Maybe he felt he was in over his head and couldn't get things figured out? Maybe the combination of school and FB was too large a load? Maybe he felt he should be getting more reps? Maybe impatient? At this point it doesn't really matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by beryirish View Post
            With four years of eligibility he definitely had time to impress and wait his turn. Next spring would have been ideal I think to make that determination. Maybe it was more than football that went into his decision.
            This was my thought too; from the articles I've read it was openly communicated that the plan year one was to redshirt, so this spring was really his first crack at competing for a role this fall.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ame-131311544/

Really surprised by this announcement. But I was also hoping to hear more about his performance during spring practices.
            My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
              2020 DB Roster (11 Scholarships)
              RS SR 4* Shaun Crawford
              RS SR 3* Alohi Gilman
              RS JR 4* Avery Davis
              JR 4* Houston Griffith
              JR 3* Tariq Bracy
              RS SO 4* Derrik Allen
              RS SO 3* DJ Brown
              SO 5* Kyle Hamilton
              RS FR 4* Isaiah Rutherford
              RS FR 4* Litchfield Ajavon
              RS FR 4* KJ Wallace

I think Boykin leaving is a really tough blow for the future of the DB position group. I think Studstill taking off sucks, but he wasn't going to start for his senior year and it made sense for that move to happen. However, next season ND could be losing Troy Pride, Alohi Gilman, Jalen Elliott, Donte Vaughn, and Shaun Crawford which leave a ton of snaps up for grabs. As far as eligibility goes, ND has 11 scholarship guys with eligibility to come back, but I think the two top guys, Alohi Gilman and Shaun Crawford, are as good as gone. Gilman wants to go to the NFL after this year and Shaun Crawford has the option to return for a 6th year, but I don't know what kind of medical issues might hang that up from happening. Even if by some miracle both of those guys returned then you'd still need anywhere from 5-7 DB's in the cycle to have a full 4 deep at every position.

I think recruiting at this position group was just amplified big time. Clark Phillips just became a big time need for ND and hopefully they can pull in a few more impact guys. I know they are recruiting tons of DB's and got a bunch of them on campus in 2019 so far. Clark Phillips, Chris Thompson Jr (just scheduled a June OV), Lathan Ransom, Enzo Jennings, Jordan Morant (just visited and now has an OV scheduled), Kristian Story (coming in June), Makari Paige (don't know how hard the staff is still pushing for him), Ryan Watts, Mordecai McDaniel, and Landen Bartleson (I think he's becoming a take at this point with how many DB's they need). Hopefully they can get to at least 5 DB's for this cycle and hopefully some big time ones.
              Well, not sure having a full 4 deep is the requirement/expectation considering you can't have a full 4 deep at every position group with an 85 man roster.

With that said, I do think it's a given we take 3 CB's in this class now. Bartelson to get things started.

Comment

Well, not sure having a full 4 deep is the requirement/expectation considering you can't have a full 4 deep at every position group with an 85 man roster.

With that said, I do think it's a given we take 3 CB's in this class now. Bartelson to get things started.
                I'm aware you don't go four deep at every position. OL they like to have 3 full lines of 5 during a season (15), but they've been perfectly fine with 13 or 14. DLine is where they like to load up and sometimes they'll have as many as 17 or 18 which allows for redshirts and maximizing development and depth, but other times they'll go light and have 14 or something like that. For DB's I think 7 safeties is more than fine considering it is not a very rotational position, but for CB I think 8 is a solid number because of 3-4 or even 5 playing in a game most times. I don't think it is a requirement for any position to have any sort of exact number, but there are numbers they like to have and then numbers that they feel uncomfortable with. Tom Rees explained they prefer to have 4 QB's on scholarship, but they would try not to double up on QB's in a class because that is cause for an inevitable transfer which they hope to avoid. Semantics aside, I think ND takes 5-6 DB's in this class and hopefully good ones.

Comment

• Maybe this relates to a walk-on taking some of his snaps

Comment

• So this gets us to 85 now? With the greyshirt still waiting for a scholarship to open?
                    Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

• Originally posted by connor_in View Post
                      So this gets us to 85 now? With the greyshirt still waiting for a scholarship to open?
                      We're now at 85, including both Bertrand and Marist having scholarships.

Comment

QB - 3 - Ian Book, Phil Jurkovec, Brendon Clark
                        RB - 5 - Tony Jones Jr, Jafar Armstrong, Jahmir Smith, C'Bo Flemister, Kyren Williams
                        TE - 4 - Cole Kmet, Brock Wright, Tommy Tremble, George Takacs
                        WR - 12 - Chris Finke, Chase Claypool, Javon McKinley, Isaiah Robertson, Michael Young, Kevin Austin, Braden Lenzy, Miach Jones, Lawrence Keys III, Joe Wilkins Jr, Cam Hart, Kendall Abdur-Rahman
                        OL - 14 - Trevor Ruhland, Liam Eichenberg, Tommy Kraemer, Robert Hainsey, Aaron Banks, Joshua Lugg, Dillan Gibbons, Jarrett Patterson, Cole Mabry, John Dirksen, Quinn Carroll, Zeke Correll, John Olmstead, Andrew Kristofic
                        DL - 18 - Khalid Kareem, Daelin Hayes, Jamir Jones, Julian Okwara, Ade Ogundeji, Kurt Hinish, Darnell Ewell, Myron T-Amosa, Kofi Wardlow, Jayson Ademilola, Ja'Mion Franklin, Justin Ademilola, Ovie Oghuofo, Jacob Lacey, Nana Osafo-Mensah, Isaiah Foskey, Hunter Spears, Howard Cross III
                        LB - 13 - Asmar Bilal, Jonathan Jones, Jordan Genmark-Heath, Jeremiah O-Koramoah, Drew White, Shayne Simon, Bo Bauer, Paul Moala, Jack Lamb, Osita Ekwonu, JD Bertrand, Marist Liufau, Jack Kiser
                        DB - 14 - Troy Pride Jr, Jalen Elliott, Donte Vaughn, Alohi Gilman, Shaun Crawford, Avery Davis, Houston Griffith, Tariq Bracy, Derrik Allen, DJ Brown, Kyle Hamilton, Isaiah Rutherford, Litchfield Ajavon, KJ Wallace
                        ST - 3 - John Shannon, Jonathan Doerer, Jay Bramblett

Total: 86

I think there's 86 on scholly right now including Liufau & Bertrand. Any insight on who isn't on scholly anymore?

Comment

• TIAR

We're gonna go into the season at 83 scholarship players, and that's with Liufau and Bertrand. It is known.

(Wouldn't be the end of the world if we have attrition that puts us under the limit by one or two... the walk-on kicker might be able to work himself into a scholarship if he can take one of the kicking duties from Doerer, and a guy like Temi Agoro or Mick Assaf could earn themselves a scholarship for their senior season)

Comment

I hate losing Boykin but I'm really happy Bertrand and Marist will be on campus this summer. More LB talent to begin developing, even if it doesn't pay dividends this fall.

Comment

• Nope, I stand corrected (it's 86) I was working with it off memory and thought this did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                I think there's 86 on scholly right now including Liufau & Bertrand. Any insight on who isn't on scholly anymore?
                                I think he was saying 85 because the fact that McKinley is going to eventually transfer is the worst kept secret in the program rn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                                  I hate losing Boykin but I'm really happy Bertrand and Marist will be on campus this summer. More LB talent to begin developing, even if it doesn't pay dividends this fall.
                                  Tbh, ND has too many scholarship players at LB. It hurts roster balance and class staggering at other positions.

Lea and Co. are going to have to try and balance that over the next few cycles without also totally bankrupting the position for the future... tough job. The best way to fix it is to go light on numbers for a class or two, but then you have 0 margin for error.

It would be REALLY nice if a couple of the LB's could project to other positions with legitimate utility.

Comment

• Originally posted by KizerWilhelm View Post
                                    I think he was saying 85 because the fact that McKinley is going to eventually transfer is the worst kept secret in the program rn.
                                    This, as I stated above it was all based off memory and clearly had (wrongly) committed this to memory. Good catch.

Comment

Tbh, ND has too many scholarship players at LB. It hurts roster balance and class staggering at other positions.

Lea and Co. are going to have to try and balance that over the next few cycles without also totally bankrupting the position for the future... tough job. The best way to fix it is to go light on numbers for a class or two, but then you have 0 margin for error.

It would be REALLY nice if a couple of the LB's could project to other positions with legitimate utility.
                                      I think it is totally fine to have 13 scholarship LBer's this fall. It is especially okay because of the indecision in relation to who is going to play the position. I think once the jobs are won in the fall then we'll see some attrition from the roster either this offseason or the following one. I think 4 deep at each position is totally fine. Plus I think the staff has heard your advice and is shooting only for the moon with very few linebacker prospects in the 2020 cycle. I think a bigger roster management issue is recruiting at the DB positions. I think the recruiting itself is in excellent hands with Terry Joseph and Todd Lyght, but I am curious how often the linebacker room will poach a safety from the DB room. That is fine if it is their best position in the long run, but it makes it necessary to recruit a large amount of defensive backs every single cycle which isn't the easiest thing to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by KizerWilhelm View Post
                                        here come the mods in 5...4...3...2...1...

Comment

There is a lot of eligibility within this group so staggering eligibility will be important My understanding is they feel pretty comfortable that the current group will have enough guys that are willing to "stick around" even if they aren't getting starter snaps that we won't run the risk of mass defections at the position in 1 or 2 years, while we've also underrecruited said position leading up to it. That's the risk in all of this. And, if I were to go down the list of names on the future depth chart, I see a lot of guys that are probably program type fits. I guess we'll see.

Comment

• Perfect fit for my run first Raven! Playing with Ronnie! Great result!

Comment

• Originally posted by Domina Nostra View Post
                                              Perfect fit for run first Raven! Great result!
                                              Yeah this kid isn't draft eligible.
                                              60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                Yeah this kid isn't draft eligible.
                                                I know. Thatís how good he is.

Comment

• Miles...Noah...same thing.

Comment

• Oops!

Comment

• Landed at UMass.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">First of want to thank <a href="https://twitter.com/coachwaltbell?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@coachwaltbell</a> for giving me the blessing of a life time, and <a href="https://twitter.com/Aazaar23?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@aazaar23</a> for believing in me since day 1 .. with that being said im proud to announce that I will be furthering my academic and athletic career at the University of Massachusetts <a href="https://t.co/0kXlZH9ulB">pic.twitter.com/0kXlZH9ulB</a></p>&mdash; Guap �� (@___guappp) <a href="https://twitter.com/___guappp/status/1154796212983345153?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 26, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Why did he leave again?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
                                                          Why did he leave again?
                                                          Culture fit is apparently the actual reason, idk if there was ever an official reason.

Comment

• pretty big drop for a guy whose last two schools coming out of high school were ND and UF.

Comment

• Originally posted by tom prendergast View Post
                                                              pretty big drop for a guy whose last two schools coming out of high school were ND and UF.
                                                              I think a lot of guys who transfer ultimately land further down the college football food chain than they think they will at first.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
                                                                Why did he leave again?
                                                                was a borderline take academically so i am guessing that was the issue
                                                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by stlnd01 View Post
                                                                  I think a lot of guys who transfer ultimately land further down the college football food chain than they think they will at first.
                                                                  Unless ur an all conference guy or a former 5 star it is really tough to get to a power 5 in the transfer portal. Lots of guys have no scholarships to return to their schools available to them and they thought it would be a nice test thing but many guys are going big time down to lower levels of FBS and FCS. Itís sad to see. Best thing to do is try to graduate from college in 3 seasons (RS SO) and then if youíre not breaking through you can get immediate eligibility anywhere for 2 seasons! Then youíve guaranteed yourself a degree from ND! And you can turn ur focus to football

Comment

• ND insider said he was 3rd at boundary behind Griffith and Agoro in the spring. Yikes!. He was behind a walk on. Not a good look.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                    Working...
                                                                    X