Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'18 FL CB Joe Wilkins Jr. (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIGNED PER NOTRE DAME OFFICIAL TWITTER.
    I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

• This incredible story written by Mike Vorel was on the front page of today's South Bend Tribune. We always cheer and hope that the players have success on and off the field, but after reading this article I'll be cheering extra hard for Wilkins Jr..

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/h...92ae5ae5c.html

Comment

• Man that's good stuff. Will be cheering and praying for him

Comment

• Wow oh wow. Great story. A true ND student athlete.
          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• We see bad stories everyday. It's nice to read this type of stuff, especially when the young man is Irish. Will be cheering extra hard for Joe.
            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Man, I love that story! Let's go Joe...write the next chapter to what is already a success story.

Comment

• Beautiful story and very uplifting! i will be rooting hard for this young man. In my eyes, He is already a winner!

Comment

• Kids got a great mother.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                    Kids got a great mother.
                    And it sounds like a set of great twin sisters. Perhaps they'll be Irish one day too!
                    Glad mom made the choice to struggle through it. Sounds like a tough and humble lady who loves to cheer on her kids. Glad grandpa embraced things after the choice was made. I'm sure he was big part of the success story as well. Pro-life billboard kid! 5 Star story!
                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• ISD reporting that Wilkins is already working out on both sides of the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                        ISD reporting that Wilkins is already working out on both sides of the ball.
                        I assume WR on offense? Is Bracy doing the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post
                          I assume WR on offense? Is Bracy doing the same?
                          I'm assuming WR. I didn't see any mention of Bracy. Obviously wouldn't surprise me as we all know both he and Wilkins were highly productive two way performers. In Bracy's case though, Avery Davis may have stepped into the APB role Bracy could have worked out at. That's ok because Bracy needs to be thrown in Balis' lab for 12 months and then turned loose.

Comment

• Apparently the staff thought Wilkins would end up at WR from the start, as long as CB recruiting didn't completely dry up.

They think he's got much higher upside as a pass-catcher, but they also view him as having elite athleticism, so I guess you have to give a guy like that a shot at being a lockdown DB... kind of reminds me of KeiVarae Russel's outlook when he was arriving in South Bend, just trending to the other side of the ball.

Comment

• Reminds me of what many people thought what the staff should've done with Redfield.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                Apparently the staff thought Wilkins would end up at WR from the start, as long as CB recruiting didn't completely dry up.

They think he's got much higher upside as a pass-catcher, but they also view him as having elite athleticism, so I guess you have to give a guy like that a shot at being a lockdown DB... kind of reminds me of KeiVarae Russel's outlook when he was arriving in South Bend, just trending to the other side of the ball.
                                Just curious, what's the source on that? I said the same thing on here even when he was the first CB commit and we didn't know where #2 was coming from.

As a pure receiver, I see him just a rung down from Austin and overall better than Lenzy. Wilkins problem at WR may be the trio of Austin/Lenzy/Keys that seems to be a perfectly engineered group to me.

Would have been perfect if Joe was in the class of 2019.

Comment

Just curious, what's the source on that? I said the same thing on here even when he was the first CB commit and we didn't know where #2 was coming from.

As a pure receiver, I see him just a rung down from Austin and overall better than Lenzy. Wilkins problem at WR may be the trio of Austin/Lenzy/Keys that seems to be a perfectly engineered group to me.

Would have been perfect if Joe was in the class of 2019.
                                  Luckily, Wilkins looks like a prime candidate to redshirt. So he'll pretty much be an unofficial member of the 2019 class.

Comment

• Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                    Reminds me of what many people thought what the staff should've done with Redfield.
                                    In hindsight yeah, but I absolutely wanted him at safety. 5* safeties who come in all rocked up just don't land at ND.

He was not focused on football obviously, but I'd do the same thing if we came across a similar situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                      In hindsight yeah, but I absolutely wanted him at safety. 5* safeties who come in all rocked up just don't land at ND.

He was not focused on football obviously, but I'd do the same thing if we came across a similar situation.
                                      I should've worded it better. I think people wanted the staff to give him a shot at WR when he was starting to look like a bust at safety. Going into his freshman season, yeah everyone was sky high on him playing in the secondary.

Comment

• Guess we will see what the future holds for him. If we don't let Shaun crawford come back in 2020 and Julian Love leaves after this season we may need the depth at corner. We would only have Pride, Vaughn, Bracy (if he stays at CB) Brown, Boykin, KJ, and +1.

Comment

• Wilkins makes a significant impact at WR this year. Becomes the next big time playmaker for the Irish.
                                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                            Wilkins makes a significant impact at WR this year. Becomes the next big time playmaker for the Irish.
                                            Wouldn't have surprised me had Kevin Austin signed with Someother U.

Comment

Wouldn't have surprised me had Kevin Austin signed with Someother U.

True. Kevin Austin is also a fav of mine in this class. He should have a great career.

Kelly just seems notoriously good about finding 3 star, shifty wide receivers and turning them into NFL quality players.

Austin will be a guy who proves to be a true, do-it-all #1 for a couple of seasons.
                                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                True. Kevin Austin is also a fav of mine in this class. He should have a great career.

Kelly just seems notoriously good about finding 3 star, shifty wide receivers and turning them into NFL quality players.

Austin will be a guy who proves to be a true, do-it-all #1 for a couple of seasons.
                                                All of this.

Wilkins could be a Kevin Stepherson find but that will be almost impossible if Austin turns out to be a 80% version of Michael Floyd. Hard to imagine Austin being able to match Floyd's rookie totals with this roster of WR's which make Floyd's 700+ yds even more amazing as he had Tate, Randolph & Allen getting Clausen's attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                  Apparently the staff thought Wilkins would end up at WR from the start, as long as CB recruiting didn't completely dry up.

See, I actually think he has higher upside as a CB because of his length + athleticism. It would just be a rare combination for a college CB.

In the end, the most beneficial thing for the program is to play him at the position he'll be the most productive at. Because of his experience, it would seem WR is where he'll be more immediately productive. So, it's an interesting dynamic.

However, I usually start this process with BK's voice in my head saying, "we need to recruit elite athletes on defense, on offense we can manufacture offense." Or something along those lines from several NSD's back. So if you think he can be an elite CB with his combination of length and athleticism. Or a good WR. Then you got to give him a shot at CB, I would think.

Comment

• If he does stick at WR and last years class is a 5 man class with at least some RS's from the group, I would think we could really be picky with WR scholarship for 19'. Maybe look at only 1 WR for the class and use the extra scholarship on a DE or LB. Provides some flexibility.

Comment

All of this.

Wilkins could be a Kevin Stepherson find but that will be almost impossible if Austin turns out to be a 80% version of Michael Floyd. Hard to imagine Austin being able to match Floyd's rookie totals with this roster of WR's which make Floyd's 700+ yds even more amazing as he had Tate, Randolph & Allen getting Clausen's attention.
                                                      This is exactly who I hope we got in Wilkins, minus the off-the-field antics. It'll be interesting to see who has the game speed needed to get over the top of defenses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                        If he does stick at WR and last years class is a 5 man class with at least some RS's from the group, I would think we could really be picky with WR scholarship for 19'. Maybe look at only 1 WR for the class and use the extra scholarship on a DE or LB. Provides some flexibility.
                                                        Not a bad idea

Comment

• According to Pete Sampson's latest article in The Athletic, Joe Wilkins is set to play WR this fall. With Wilkins being a WR I do believe it is Cornelius Johnson or nothing more at WR this year.

So far I'm really enjoying The Athletic and I believe it's only going to get better. Got a year membership for like $24.99 with a promo code. You can check it out with a free 6 day subscription if you'd like to test the water first. I got mine from a link posted by Pete Sampson on Twitter.
                                                          Last edited by NDinMI; 07-20-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDinMI View Post
                                                            According to Pete Sampson's latest article in The Athletic, Joe Wilkins is set to play WR this fall. With Wilkins being a WR I do believe it is Cornelius Johnson or nothing more at WR this year.

So far I'm really enjoying The Athletic and I believe it's only going to get better. Got a year membership for like $24.99 with a promo code. You can give it a test of your own with a free 6 day subscription if you'd like to test the water first. I got mine from a link posted by Pete Sampson on Twitter.
                                                            This news broke last month.

I'd still keep Kendall Abdur-Rahman as a possibility too.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDinMI View Post
                                                              According to Pete Sampson's latest article in The Athletic, Joe Wilkins is set to play WR this fall. With Wilkins being a WR I do believe it is Cornelius Johnson or nothing more at WR this year.

So far I'm really enjoying The Athletic and I believe it's only going to get better. Got a year membership for like $24.99 with a promo code. You can give it a test of your own with a free 6 day subscription if you'd like to test the water first. I got mine from a link posted by Pete Sampson on Twitter.
                                                              kendall abdur-rahman just locked his official in for sept 1...he is at the top of the board as well
                                                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Wasn't sure anything was set in stone since they have only been on campus for about 5 weeks.

Comment

• Does this mean Bracy sticks at DB? I was surprised when one of the graphics during the B&G game showed him as a WR already.

Comment

.9796 5* Kyle Ford
                                                                    .9643 4* Joe Ngata
                                                                    .9235 4* Trey Knox
                                                                    .9157 4* Zion Puckett
                                                                    .9143 4* Donovan Greene (WF Commit)
                                                                    .9102 4* Cornelius Johnson
                                                                    .8989 4* Nolan Groulx (WF Commit - no offer)
                                                                    .8728 3* Kendall Abdur-Rahman

I think you go all in on every single one of these dudes and add 2 of them if they want in. They are all very very good prospects and ND shouldn’t just whiff on WR cause they think Gee Scott or AJ Henning will come thru (Ohio State and Washington could ruin that party). Better to pick up 4* WR’s with lots of talent then switching a 3* DB to WR in the offseason and hoping it works out (Joe Wilkins is a good looking football player but ND needs more talent at WR). Bird in the hand folks!

Comment

• Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                                                      .9796 5* Kyle Ford
                                                                      .9643 4* Joe Ngata
                                                                      .9235 4* Trey Knox
                                                                      .9157 4* Zion Puckett
                                                                      .9143 4* Donovan Greene (WF Commit)
                                                                      .9102 4* Cornelius Johnson
                                                                      .8989 4* Nolan Groulx (WF Commit - no offer)
                                                                      .8728 3* Kendall Abdur-Rahman

I think you go all in on every single one of these dudes and add 2 of them if they want in. They are all very very good prospects and ND shouldn’t just whiff on WR cause they think Gee Scott or AJ Henning will come thru (Ohio State and Washington could ruin that party). Better to pick up 4* WR’s with lots of talent then switching a 3* DB to WR in the offseason and hoping it works out (Joe Wilkins is a good looking football player but ND needs more talent at WR). Bird in the hand folks!
                                                                      They signed 4 other WR’s last year. They aren’t moving him out of necessity. It’s because they think it’s his best position. We signed arguably the best WR prospect of the Kelly era in his same class. Arguably the best WR class of the Kelly era. Obviously they’d take an elite talent at WR but no need for numbers. Doubt They’d go 8 WR’s in 2 classes. That’d be pretty silly since we’re playing so many 2 TE sets. Can’t have it both ways, not enough scholarships to go around.

Comment

• Realized this means Phil has 5 WR, 2 RB and 2 TE classmates. They've basically given him a full offensive playbook to develop with.

Comment

• Originally posted by ResLife Hero View Post
                                                                          Realized this means Phil has 5 WR, 2 RB and 2 TE classmates. They've basically given him a full offensive playbook to develop with.
                                                                          Imagine if ND still had Frosh Teams like back in the day. Would be a lot of fun to watch that offense gel together.
                                                                          My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Both Braden Lenzy and Joe Wilkins may be available this week, to be determined.<br>Lenzy is a fatigue concern, while Wilkins has a lingering hamstring, per Brian Kelly.</p>&mdash; Douglas Farmer (@D_Farmer) <a href="https://twitter.com/D_Farmer/status/1193605805448290305?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 10, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                            Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                            Working...
                                                                            X