Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '18 IN S Paul Moala (Notre Dame Signee)

Safety
    Mishawaka, IN
    Penn High School

Measurements:
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 190
    40: 4.70

Rankings

247: ............ ......... #72 S ..... #843 OA ...... 84
    Rivals: ......... NR
    Scout: ......... ......... #40 S
    ESPN: .......... NR

Offers:
    Ball State
    Bowling Green
    BYU
    Northern Illinois
    Utah State
    WMU

Media Links:

Twitter = @PaulMoala

Highlights:

2016 Junior Season Highlight Film - Paul Moala highlights - Hudl

Local kid "visiting" for Irish Invasion. Scout says that he's been in conversation with Coach Elston (paywall). Irish show interest in local safety - Notre Dame - Scout

Scout in general is very high on the kid. Noted in their Under Armour Chicago report that he was one of the better safeties who attended, and they didn't understand why he wasn't getting many offers. Under Armour Chicago: Defensive Recap - Football Recruiting - Scout

Comment

I love this kid. But i just don't see how ND is going to have room for him with Allen and Griffith on the way. They need burner CB's or fast CB's with length.

If Griffith doesn't come (which seems unlikely) then I think he's in the same conversation as Michael Dowell. He's a little short for a safety at 5-12 but he's thick = over 200. Physically he's much like Michael Dowell just not as athletic... but only 2 or 3 safeties in the class are so that's not a knock.

7 interceptions and 4 TD returns last season against a good HS schedule + 105 Rating he scored at the Opening - Chicago are excellent numbers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blessed and grateful to have been able to attend The Opening this past weekend. ⚡️ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GetOpen?src=hash">#GetOpen</a> <a href="https://t.co/4GkrNFSdFB">pic.twitter.com/4GkrNFSdFB</a></p>&mdash; Paul Moala (@PaulMoala) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulMoala/status/851608847122927620">April 11, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Yeah, I suspect this will turn out very much like Inoke Moala, the older brother. Visited for II, never got an offer, now plays at Indiana State.

Paul is significantly better and will probably starts getting P5 offers (if BYU doesn't already count). But bluntly, I'm sure he'd flip in a heartbeat if we reeeeally needed him come January, so the staff would be basically crazy to offer now. And if other schools don't come knocking, he might be a great candidate for PWO status.

Comment

Originally posted by KizerWilhelm View Post
          Yeah, I suspect this will turn out very much like Inoke Moala, the older brother. Visited for II, never got an offer, now plays at Indiana State.

Paul is significantly better and will probably starts getting P5 offers (if BYU doesn't already count). But bluntly, I'm sure he'd flip in a heartbeat if we reeeeally needed him come January, so the staff would be basically crazy to offer now. And if other schools don't come knocking, he might be a great candidate for PWO status.
          He'll have to turn down a lot of B1G offers to be a PWO at ND. I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up with 5.

His family deserves a ND scholarship, I heard they were Manti's home away from home and remain like family to this day... or maybe they are blood relatives? Don't remember.

Finally, there's a time for ND to gray shirt players and the NCAA does away with it. It would be a perfect year to do so with Moala and his teammate, Anthony Torres.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">God continues to bless me &amp; my family. Beyond excited to have received an offer from Hawaii University!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RainbowWarriors?src=hash">#RainbowWarriors</a>🌈<br>1 Corinthians 2:5 <a href="https://t.co/bgu3Sgl0JV">pic.twitter.com/bgu3Sgl0JV</a></p>&mdash; Paul Moala (@PaulMoala) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulMoala/status/870079758067019776">June 1, 2017</a></blockquote>
            <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
            What did Davonte do?

Comment

I also get leery of the local guys after John Turner pooped his Huggies for 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                I also get leery of the local guys after John Turner pooped his Huggies for 4 years.
                Yeah Indiana is good for about one good player a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman Ray View Post
                  C'mon now, it's more than that.

Comment

Was Turner really a local? I thought he was from Indy, which makes him as much a local as the Cathedral guys who have panned out pretty well.

Comment

I don't know if you were going for serious hyperbole here, but that is so over the top that it just comes off dumb.
                      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll respond to both situations.

1) Yes, because the entire state of Indiana is "local" to ND

2) Correct. And thy name was Jaylon. But there are still a lot of solid players to come from Indy, there just haven't been many outside of it.

Comment

Was Turner really a local? I thought he was from Indy, which makes him as much a local as the Cathedral guys who have panned out pretty well.
                          Was he? I thought he was closer to ND.

That statement could be entirely wrong except for the pooping his Huggies part.

Comment

John Turner was as local as the Cathedral guys, because he was a Cathedral guy.

Sheldon Day and Jaylon Smith were the two best players on the defense in '14 and '15, both from Indiana.

Comment

Was he? I thought he was closer to ND.

That statement could be entirely wrong except for the pooping his Huggies part.
                              247 says Turner actually attended Cathedral too. So in the same class you had Sheldon Day and Turner from Indiana. One worked out, the other didn't.

Just going back through previous classes, the only truly local guy of note was David Perkins, who spurned the Irish and went to Ohio State.

Comment

247 says Turner actually attended Cathedral too. So in the same class you had Sheldon Day and Turner from Indiana. One worked out, the other didn't.

Just going back through previous classes, the only truly local guy of note was David Perkins, who spurned the Irish and went to Ohio State.
                                I stand corrected. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                  I don't know if you were going for serious hyperbole here, but that is so over the top that it just comes off dumb.
                                  I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll respond to both situations.

1) Yes, because the entire state of Indiana is "local" to ND

2) Correct. And thy name was Jaylon. But there are still a lot of solid players to come from Indy, there just haven't been many outside of it.
                                  Lol one says too over top and dumb, the other agrees
                                  Prehistoric

Comment

Jason Spriggs would have been the starting LT last year (assuming he stayed 5 years at ND) had HH signed him from Elkhart Concord... 20 miles away.

Gelen Robinson would have been Sheldon Day's back up and started at DT the second he left campus.

Terry McLaurin is a #1 WR on Ohio St.'s depth chart

Either Darrin Kirkland or Brandon Lee would be the starting BUCK this year.

Jesse Bates would be the starting STUD this year.

I'd double the list if I included the guys Austin Mack's age and younger.

But just the fact that Jaylon, Eifert and Z Martin came out in the last 10 years makes the above statement ridonkulous.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                      Jason Spriggs would have been the starting LT last year (assuming he stayed 5 years at ND) had HH signed him from Elkhart Concord... 20 miles away.

Gelen Robinson would have been Sheldon Day's back up and started at DT the second he left campus.

Terry McLaurin is a #1 WR on Ohio St.'s depth chart

Either Darrin Kirkland or Brandon Lee would be the starting BUCK this year.

Jesse Bates would be the starting STUD this year.

I'd double the list if I included the guys Austin Mack's age and younger.

But just the fact that Jaylon, Eifert and Z Martin came out in the last 10 years makes the above statement ridonkulous.
                                      We sure could use him on the roster this season. A true diamond in the rough there by Elko.

Comment

Nice freebie from Corey Bodden @Rivals:

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/lo...irish-invasion

ND flirting with Gilman has to drive Moala nuts.

Comment

Wiltfong with the CB for ND.

Comment

I'm sure you're happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                              I'm sure you're happy.

With the signing of Aloha Gilligan, would like to see a bigger SS prospect like JGH but he's a ballhawk playmaker doing it at a real program so I wouldn't cry about it.

Comment

If Elko signs of on any of these guys, I'm all in.

Comment

Offered. On phone can't embed

Comment

T minus how long to commitment?

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We did it! Blessed and humbled to have received an offer from THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BleedBlueAndGold?src=hash">#BleedBlueAndGold</a> <br>Glory be to God!<br>Hebrews 6:12 <a href="https://t.co/4sK6e2b1b6">pic.twitter.com/4sK6e2b1b6</a></p>&mdash; Paul Moala (@PaulMoala) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulMoala/status/873715424801804288">June 11, 2017</a></blockquote>

Comment

I truly believe Elko is going to find a bunch of badass S's.

Comment

That escalated quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hebrews 6:12

We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised

In other words, go to The Stadium and yell like you'll never have blue hair.

Comment

CBs rolling ND's way.

Comment

The SBT had an article about Paul and his new offer in the paper this morning. In the article it said that he will be camping at Stanford and is visiting Utah State. If the Tree offers and we lose out on a guy that lives 10 minutes from campus and his family was Manti Teo's home away from home, I'm convinced that we'll never beat Stanford for a safety ever again. But also with that being said, he did say that family is very important to him and getting to stay close to home would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                                  If the Tree offers and we lose out on a guy that lives 10 minutes from campus and his family was Manti Teo's home away from home, I'm convinced that we'll never beat Stanford for a safety ever again.
                                                                  Beat Stanford on the field and that all changes my friend and I believe that is with any position player that ND and Stanford is after.

Comment

Originally posted by irishandy View Post
                                                                    Beat Stanford on the field and that all changes my friend and I believe that is with any position player that ND and Stanford is after.
                                                                    This is what's so aggravating. They gave away the game in 2015 and 2016. These games are as much of a must win as any on the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                                      The SBT had an article about Paul and his new offer in the paper this morning. In the article it said that he will be camping at Stanford and is visiting Utah State. If the Tree offers and we lose out on a guy that lives 10 minutes from campus and his family was Manti Teo's home away from home, I'm convinced that we'll never beat Stanford for a safety ever again. But also with that being said, he did say that family is very important to him and getting to stay close to home would be great.
                                                                      Some kids just want to get away from home and grow up away from home . I fault no kids for wanting to do that at all. He may love ND and South Bend, but he also may want a once in lifetime opportunity to leave home for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Southside Sully View Post
                                                                        Some kids just want to get away from home and grow up away from home . I fault no kids for wanting to do that at all. He may love ND and South Bend, but he also may want a once in lifetime opportunity to leave home for free.
                                                                        Stanford's entire recruiting strategy is trolling Notre Dame, so I expect him to sign with the Cardinal.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Saw Notre Dame offered <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulMoala">@PaulMoala</a>. Meant to post this clip of good coverage by the safety before but forgot. Good eval. <a href="https://twitter.com/OneFootDown">@OneFootDown</a> <a href="https://t.co/yUnVhn0s54">pic.twitter.com/yUnVhn0s54</a></p>&mdash; SB Nation Recruiting (@SBNRecruiting) <a href="https://twitter.com/SBNRecruiting/status/875389573039304706">June 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
                                                                          What did Davonte do?

Comment

From clips I've seen of II, I thought he moved pretty darn good.

Comment

• #40
                                                                              This guy is an absolute play maker. I forgot I didn't make this profile and I talked to Vancouver about him so much that I thought I brought this up here...

He had 7 INT's, 4 of which were returned for TD's. He had 3 PR/KR TD returns. He had numerous pass break ups and FF's and over 60 tackles from FS. He does this playing at a Top 100 - 150 program nationally against a good schedule. Add to that his very good 105 Nike Rating and you have a real athlete.

Paul Moala is a real football player and will be a solid contributor at ND during his career.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                                This guy is an absolute play maker. I forgot I didn't make this profile and I talked to Vancouver about him so much that I thought I brought this up here...

He had 7 INT's, 4 of which were returned for TD's. He had 3 PR/KR TD returns. He had numerous pass break ups and FF's and over 60 tackles from FS. He does this playing at a Top 100 - 150 program nationally against a good schedule. Add to that his very good 105 Nike Rating and you have a real athlete.

Paul Moala is a real football player and will be a solid contributor at ND during his career.

ND only had two players that scored more times on pass plays than Moala.

ESB had 9 on 58 passes and Stepherson had 5 on 25 passes. BUT they were the intended targets not an interloper.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                  I'm not sure I would call Penn a top 100-150 program. They are a top 10 program in Indiana, which isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. They also don't send a lot of kids to D1 and even less to the pros. They are a great team that win a ton of games, but CA, FL, LA, GA, OH, PA & TX alone probably all have 10+ programs better than Penn.

MaxPreps don't have them in their Top 100 and I can think of some programs better than Penn that aren't in here as well.

https://www.nationalguard.com/events...kings/football

This is all nitpicking of course. :)
                                                                                  Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                  I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                    Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                                    I'm not sure I would call Penn a top 100-150 program. They are a top 10 program in Indiana, which isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. They also don't send a lot of kids to D1 and even less to the pros. They are a great team that win a ton of games, but CA, FL, LA, GA, OH, PA & TX alone probably all have 10+ programs better than Penn.

MaxPreps don't have them in their Top 100 and I can think of some programs better than Penn that aren't in here as well.

https://www.nationalguard.com/events...kings/football

This is all nitpicking of course. :)
                                                                                    The MIC is the #8 Conference in the Country per Maxpreps. Penn is the only school in Indiana at the MIC level, it would be at the top half of the conference on most years.

Maxpreps has Penn at 185, 151, 277 & 258 over the past 4 seasons. That's an average of 217. I'll all but guarantee there aren't 150 programs in the country with that low of a 4 year average.

I saw Penn in 2015 when I was home. I was living in Orange County at the time. Penn would've been competitive with everyone in the Trinity League not named Mater Dei or St John Bosco. Indiana football is blah minus the MIC, Penn and a handful of 5A programs like Columbus East, Fort Wayne Snider or the top of the Hoosier Crossroads like Westfield, Avon, HSE, etc.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                      https://notredame.forums.rivals.com/...cently.109486/

Was back on campus Thursday

Comment

• #45
                                                                                        Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                                                                                        He never got the Stanford offer after camping there. Maybe he's checking to see if he can still be a part of this class or just to visit with the staff some more.

Kid is apparently hard to get in contact with for the recruiting services.
                                                                                        "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #46
                                                                                          OVing for the Temple game.

Two separate trains of thought from Scout about why exactly the commit hasn't come yet. Sampson says Notre Dame wants to see how the season shakes out, while Sinclair says Moala hasn't decided if he's "comfortable" with ND yet. "This isn't a done deal at this time."

EDIT: Excuse me, Moala says he's "working on" a Temple OV, but it's not like there's too many logistical difficulties...
                                                                                          Last edited by KizerWilhelm; 08-25-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                            The only safety I would absolutely take now is Irvin. Wait and see on the others.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FOOTBALL: Penn&#39;s Paul Moala with a leaping INT. Kingsmen ball at their 26. Penn 7, Merrillville 0. Fourth quarter 6:04. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/manofsteal?src=hash">#manofsteal</a></p>&mdash; Penn High School (@The_Pennant) <a href="https://twitter.com/The_Pennant/status/901255659198570497">August 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
                                                                                              Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                Will be at the game tomorrow. A whole lotta nothing about why he isn't committing yet. Just taking his time but he is a take for ND
                                                                                                If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                Working...
                                                                                                X