Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'18 FL WR Kevin Austin (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope we can get two healthy years out of him.

Comment

• Don't know if he will but he should return for a fifth year. Can't create separation at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
        Don't know if he will but he should return for a fifth year. Can't create separation at all.
        It's tough when you have to be careful not to outrun your QB's arm and the football is always hitting the DB in the back of the helmet.

Comment

• maybe he was faster pre leg injury. Still looks pretty good minus the hands which are bad.

Comment

• Think he’s a late round pick right now with a ceiling of a 2nd round pick if he comes back. Like others mentioned, doesn’t look as twitchy as I guess I expected. Plus the hands obviously.

Regardless, ND could use a transfer WR or 2 next year that’s for sure. 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes were busts.

Comment

• Very obvious he's still trying to figure things out game speed wise. We need him next year plain and simple
              Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• I really wish he had caught that ball on the 5 on the first drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
                  I really wish he had caught that ball on the 5 on the first drive.
                  Yeah, I think we all were upset after that drop. But thought that he bounced back nicely to make some plays. A couple 50/50 balls to him (the pick being one) were bad throws.

He’s still not getting separation like I thought he was capable. I pictured him being a similar to London this year but obviously isn’t on that level, yet anyway. Another year I think he could get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                    Think he’s a late round pick right now with a ceiling of a 2nd round pick if he comes back. Like others mentioned, doesn’t look as twitchy as I guess I expected. Plus the hands obviously.

Regardless, ND could use a transfer WR or 2 next year that’s for sure. 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes were busts.
                    You don't think Austin, Lenzy, Styles, Colzie, Thomas and the incoming freshman can be enough star power?

I'm all for proven commodities if we can get one as a GT but we certainly have some really young talent capable of playing big boy football. Early returns on the freshman class are really good. The incoming freshman are all EEs if I'm not mistaken?

The key is we need Austin and Lenzy to return, at least to show the young guys how to approach the game and they offer some big play potential if they can step up their game and if we have a QB who can throw a deep ball on time.

Comment

• He's been dropping easy balls on big plays the last two games. Gotta fix those hands, or get more reps to the younger guys.

Comment

• Austin has to come back.

I get he may want to just let er rip and try his luck in the league, but he has a lot to gain by returning, because a good, consistent year from him can get him a decent draft slot. As of now, the odds of him getting drafted at all are slim. Needs work on hands and overall consistency in route running. Things he can improve on with experience and are more well-rounded offense and better QB play.
                        It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• He's getting beat by Mayer in yards and receptions by a good amount. Avery Davis is on his heels too. He needs to step it up, these young guys want to play now.

Comment

• Drake London looked great yesterday. He will be playing on Sundays and go high in the draft. Austin can be that guy. Needs to work on his hands and route running, but Rees needs to use him like USC uses London.

Comment

• random question. Which brand of cleats has he been wearing. They aren't UA.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoIll View Post
                                random question. Which brand of cleats has he been wearing. They aren't UA.
                                They are hideous. I think he's wearing soccer cleats LOLOL

Comment

• I know a lot has been made of our WR depth and the couple of classes that had a bunch of misses. But really, I am not sure that any of Austiin, Lenzy and Wilkins should be entertaining thoughts of playing pro ball. None of them are ready and Covid gives them all the chance to come back next year. They may leave, but if they return, and them to Colzie, Styles, Thomas, CJ, Tobias and Amarion, and that is pretty good depth. The key would be replacing those 3 seniors in the next recruiting class with Carnell and 2-3 other guys and I think that would fix any depth issues that we have at WR

Comment

• I don't see how Rees could use Austin like USC uses London, he's just not as consistent and not as athletic. I'm not sold on Austin and I can't say it' s a given he should come back next year. I'm not even sure he can be a #1 guy given what he's shown. He's in year #4 and he's dropping easy passes. He's got a hands problem and that's not a good problem to have as a starting WR. His separation leaves something to be desired too, he's not consistently getting open. I just don't think he's shown enough as a senior to merit a return. I think we need to see more from the younger guys and maybe use those roster spots elsewhere in '22.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                      I don't see how Rees could use Austin like USC uses London, he's just not as consistent and not as athletic. I'm not sold on Austin and I can't say it' s a given he should come back next year. I'm not even sure he can be a #1 guy given what he's shown. He's in year #4 and he's dropping easy passes. He's got a hands problem and that's not a good problem to have as a starting WR. His separation leaves something to be desired too, he's not consistently getting open. I just don't think he's shown enough as a senior to merit a return. I think we need to see more from the younger guys and maybe use those roster spots elsewhere in '22.
                                      Both boykin and claypool made huge strides year over year at ND. Maybe Austin can do the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post

Both boykin and claypool made huge strides year over year at ND. Maybe Austin can do the same.
                                        Maybe is a big word, especially in this case.

Comment

• Originally posted by tko View Post
                                          I really wish he had caught that ball on the 5 on the first drive.
                                          ugh, i couldn't believe he dropped that pass. if austin catches that ball maybe he's able to run into the endzone or at worst its 1st and goal at the 3 or 4. then on jack coans INT i thought it should have been simultaneous possession and given back to the offense.

Comment

• Obviously KA has had some bad drops but let's not forget he's getting his first meaningful live game action in four years. He's made some INSANE plays for us this year; had a really nice game at FSU, had an unbelievable catch (despite a DPI) against Toledo on that game winning drive to push us down the field, had a mind-blowing 2pt conversion against VT despite the DB's best efforts to rip his face off.

He's not perfect, but his ceiling is very high. Cut the man some slack, he's missed a few but he's more than made up for it over the entire body of work he's put in to date.
                                            My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• IIRC he had a clean 2nd half w/ some nice catches on low throws. He also threw some key blocks for Kyren on the edge.

Comment

• Gotta wonder if the inconsistency has caught up with Austin.

Comment

Gotta wonder if the inconsistency has caught up with Austin.

Or the freshman are just that good and understand the route concepts now. Probably a combination of both.

Comment

• Colzie and Styles were both up about the same and Lenzy, Davis, and Austin had about equal snaps. Not sure about painting this as a Austin thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                      Colzie and Styles were both up about the same and Lenzy, Davis, and Austin had about equal snaps. Not sure about painting this as a Austin thing
                                                      Think this is more of a Lenzy thing than an Austin thing. Outside of a few deep routes where our QB missed him, Lenzy hasn't done much this year. Probably would have been better off at corner out of HS.

Comment

• Or maybe Styles and Colzie are playing more not just because they are ready but also because at least one of Austin and Lenzy is unhappy on how they are being used and wont be here next year.

Comment

• I don’t get why it has to be anything besides Colzie and Styles are progressing haha. It’s post bye week for a freshman. Why does it have to be a negative on someone else? Until I see a Lenzy 20 snaps or something I don’t know about sniffing for something that’s not there

Comment

• Maybe, but at the end of the day these freshmen are taking reps away from upperclassmen starters. If Kelly is saying they're no longer backups and fully in the mix that isn't just telling that the freshmen are stepping up I think. It speaks to the starters not getting the job done.

Comment

• This was the kind of game I was hoping to see more of this season. Multiple huge plays and an awesome hands catch on the deep ball.

Comment

This was the kind of game I was hoping to see more of this season. Multiple huge plays and an awesome hands catch on the deep ball.
                                                                Yep. Been waiting 3 years for this type of game from him lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Yeah good game.
                                                                  Since next week is his down week and Davis is out we need the youth to step up again.

Comment

• On today's II podcast, they talked about players leaving or staying for 2022. Kevin Austin's name was brought up. Sampson thinks he tries the NFL.

He's at 34/569 through 10 games. I think that would be a brutal, Troy Niklas type mistake on his part. From a team point of view, it would hurt. A sophomore Styles and a more established Kevin Austin would have me excited.

Comment

• There are 3 guys who should be considering leaving early this year.

Kyren Williams (gone), Kyle Hamilton (gone) and Isaiah Foskey (50/50)

Austin is definitely not one of those guys. He has the tools to be a high pick in the draft, but his consistency is maddening and he needs to learn how to beat physical, pressing corners at the LOS. I don't see a team using anything more than a late round pick on him, and I think he can significantly bolster his stock with a more well-rounded line and developing consistency and beating some physical corners.
                                                                      It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• I don’t think he should leave either but to clarify, he is not in their recruiting class. He’d be staying extra not leaving early.

Comment

• Fun bump.

Comment

• Just heard that. Prister was gobsmacked at the suggestion.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Austin can get the evaluation from the NFL and then decide. If he's "brutal" they'll tell him he's not going to be drafted and it will be a pretty easy decision for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                Just heard that. Prister was gobsmacked at the suggestion.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk
                                                                                I mean, he's definitely not wrong.

Austin could just decide to make the jump and hope his pro-day and film is enough for him to get a late pick or stick with a team through camp.

But Austin has way more upside than a guy like Skowronek or McKinley, so he can really develop here and stands to gain A LOT from doing so.
                                                                                It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
                                                                                  Austin can get the evaluation from the NFL and then decide. If he's "brutal" they'll tell him he's not going to be drafted and it will be a pretty easy decision for him.
                                                                                  The evaluation tiers were changed so that there are only three grades: first round, second round, and stay in school. It's just not useful for a player like Austin who might be wanting to know if he's a mid rounder or a UDFA (unless maybe they give very detailed feedback that allows players to read between the lines).

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
                                                                                    Austin can get the evaluation from the NFL and then decide. If he's "brutal" they'll tell him he's not going to be drafted and it will be a pretty easy decision for him.
                                                                                    Exactly. It'll play out and then we'll know. I think he should and will stay.

Comment

• If it is only to be him OR Lenzy coming back I am starting to lean towards Lenzy.
                                                                                      I thought he looked fast last week for the first time in 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                                                                                        If it is only to be him OR Lenzy coming back I am starting to lean towards Lenzy.
                                                                                        I thought he looked fast last week for the first time in 2 years.
                                                                                        I would take them both back in a heartbeat but I'd 100% go with Austin if I had to choose.

Comment

I would take them both back in a heartbeat but I'd 100% go with Austin if I had to choose.
                                                                                          Same and it’s not even close.

Comment

• On the II podcast they briefly mentioned his injury history but didn’t dig into the topic.

If he stays and turns an ankle in July, he’ll have the ND training room to get him healed, and as soon as he is healthy he’s back on the field. He has just as much of a chance to turn that ankle in a NFL training camp, but if that happens he either gets cut or put on somebody’s PUP list. Undrafted or late round receivers don’t come back from abbreviated training camps to play meaningful NFL snaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                                                                              There are 3 guys who should be considering leaving early this year.

Kyren Williams (gone), Kyle Hamilton (gone) and Isaiah Foskey (50/50)

Austin is definitely not one of those guys. He has the tools to be a high pick in the draft, but his consistency is maddening and he needs to learn how to beat physical, pressing corners at the LOS. I don't see a team using anything more than a late round pick on him, and I think he can significantly bolster his stock with a more well-rounded line and developing consistency and beating some physical corners.
                                                                                              Ouch…Jarret Patterson feels slighted and neglected.

Comment

• With two games left to play he hasn't broken 600 yards for the season. He has only one 100+ yard game and it was against the mighty Midshipmen. If Avery Davis comes back next year that's all we need from a veteran captain in the WR room at this point. I would let Styles and Colzie get the extra reps, the future is there. Austin can be talented, but I don't think another year will help his draft stock. The consistency just isn't there.

Comment

With two games left to play he hasn't broken 600 yards for the season. He has only one 100+ yard game and it was against the mighty Midshipmen. If Avery Davis comes back next year that's all we need from a veteran captain in the WR room at this point. I would let Styles and Colzie get the extra reps, the future is there. Austin can be talented, but I don't think another year will help his draft stock. The consistency just isn't there.
                                                                                                  Claypool was the same way. He came back, showed consistency, and became a 2nd round pick. Austin had hardly played before this year. I think another year would help him tremendously if he comes back with the right mindset.
                                                                                                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

With two games left to play he hasn't broken 600 yards for the season. He has only one 100+ yard game and it was against the mighty Midshipmen. If Avery Davis comes back next year that's all we need from a veteran captain in the WR room at this point. I would let Styles and Colzie get the extra reps, the future is there. Austin can be talented, but I don't think another year will help his draft stock. The consistency just isn't there.
                                                                                                    The consistency isn't there, but I think the year would help him, particularly from a mental aspect. This is essentially his first season playing and game reps are so much more valuable than practice. The second season is when you see a big improvement with a lot of players. The NFL dream is littered with guys who have the physical traits and athleticism that Austin has yet they're earning a living doing something else. He needs to dial in the mental focus and use it to develop. JMO

Comment

• ND needs to get him a hefty NIL deal to convince him to stay. He could probably get at least as much as he could as a late round salary in the league.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X