Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'18 MI OLB Ovie Oghoufo (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'd rather see Jordan Botelho get his reps
    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Yea disappointing indeed. He’s all but guaranteed a spot in the two deep at a position where those guys play a couple hundred snaps minimum.

And here I was thinking the staff was going to be getting the roster old for next year. I’d be interested to hear from someone in the know if this is by design or not.

Comment

• VAndy Crystal Ball
        Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
          VAndy Crystal Ball
          Well that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
            VAndy Crystal Ball
            Me personally no sources.

Comment

• Is there something larger going on here? This is getting to be an absurd amount of transfers.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvilleIrish View Post
                Is there something larger going on here? This is getting to be an absurd amount of transfers.
                Nope. Just the new transfer rules. I expect we will also get more transfers than ever this year also.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                  Nope. Just the new transfer rules. I expect we will also get more transfers than ever this year also.
                  Hopefully at Corner

Comment

• With the early signing period, recruiting is less exciting. The transfer portal is the new signing day. Should be exciting.
                    "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                      With the early signing period, recruiting is less exciting. The transfer portal is the new signing day. Should be exciting.

the new transfer is probably going to hurt college football.
                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

ND has already lost a couple defenders who contributed this year and looked to be getting larger roles next year.

It does make me a little concerned about team culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                          the new transfer is probably going to hurt college football.
                          Guess it's perspective. Some people thought the same about free agency in pro sports. Some probably still think it has hurt pro sports. It's a double edge sword, IMO. I worry for ND because of academic reasons that we may only be able to get grad transfers.
                          "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• If ND plays their cards right the team could get significant immediate upgrades through the portal. Although that might come at the cost of cohesiveness.
                            "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

Guess it's perspective. Some people thought the same about free agency in pro sports. Some probably still think it has hurt pro sports. It's a double edge sword, IMO. I worry for ND because of academic reasons that we may only be able to get grad transfers.
                              I definitely think it hurt pro sports. Maybe I wouldn't think so if I was from Miami or LA

Comment

Almost seems best now to not let your players on a fast track to graduate early. Might entice some to not enter the portal if they donít have their degree yet.

Comment

• Graduating or not won’t really matter now with the NCAA likely allowing one free transfer

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post
                                    I definitely think it hurt pro sports. Maybe I wouldn't think so if I was from Miami or LA
                                    Think it depends on the sport. Works best in the NFL, IMO. The stars usually stay on the same team (QBs) and you can fill holes quicker via free agency. The NBA is another story where the stars are leaving all the time which shifts the balance of power dramatically from year to year. In baseball, with no salary cap, it's easier for the rich teams to load up talent.

I see college football going like the NFL. Stars will stay with the team, it's the depth that will really be where the transfers make the difference.

Comment

Wait till they start paying these kids. The kids that don't get recruited by the bigger schools will use the smaller schools. so the bigger schools still win while the others still get shit on.
                                      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                        Wait till they start paying these kids. The kids that don't get recruited by the bigger schools will use the smaller schools. so the bigger schools still win while the others still get shit on.
                                        Agree, nothing will change. That's why I don't get too worried about it. Big fish eats the small fish. Law of nature.

Comment

• There is a world where paying players helps ND.

If athletes are allowed to make unlimited money on their likeness, ND has more to offer than anyone. National brand, subway alumni, etc. No one, not even Bama, could compete with the financial opportunities of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                            There is a world where paying players helps ND.

If athletes are allowed to make unlimited money on their likeness, ND has more to offer than anyone. National brand, subway alumni, etc. No one, not even Bama, could compete with the financial opportunities of that.
                                            That's where it's going. People keep harping on the schools paying them, that's not the issue. It's allowing kids to make money outside the school. Which I am for personally.

Comment

• He played enough snaps to be noticed and I never noticed him once.

I do however notice #17 on very limited snaps. I'm OK with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post
                                                He played enough snaps to be noticed and I never noticed him once.

I do however notice #17 on very limited snaps. I'm OK with this.
                                                Well, he only appeared in 8 games and had 2.5 sacks in those 149 snaps. So, I'd question what you were watching.

Anybody that says this is no big deal could very well end up being right but I'd question how you are processing the snaps. Workload is a very real thing. A lot of players can play 100 snaps/season at a high level. Who's ready to play 200+. We're losing 433 snaps from Hayes, 483 from Ade, and now 149 from Ovie.

Botelho was already expected to take on a significantly higher work load as is. This dramatically increases that and now forces one of Nana, Ehrensberger, or a freshman into a role that they have not built up too.
                                                Last edited by Luckylucci; 01-05-2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

There is a world where paying players helps ND.

Maybe. It could also be that besides the very top players, the way these guys make money is being basically social media influencers. There was a great article about how much athletes with different numbers of followers could make.

If that is the case, ND might get left behind. For as big as our fanbase is, they aren't the types to be following kids on instagram. And I think the team knows that because so much of the team's social media now references the players profiles trying to drive more activity for them.

Comment

• And that is, if the big 3 of Foskey, Botelho, and Justin A are fully healthy all season. One of those guys gets banged up or (knocks on wood) something worse, we're probably running a 3-4 to keep traditional DE's off the field. Only slightly kidding.

Comment

That's where it's going. People keep harping on the schools paying them, that's not the issue. It's allowing kids to make money outside the school. Which I am for personally.
                                                      Me too. I actually think it would negate the need for schools to actually pay the kids. Let them do commercials and sell jerseys and whatever else to make a buck. It basically brings above board what the southern boosters do now (jobs you don't have to show up to, jobs for family members, etc. That way, everyone can do it and it isn't breaking any rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                                                        Maybe. It could also be that besides the very top players, the way these guys make money is being basically social media influencers. There was a great article about how much athletes with different numbers of followers could make.

If that is the case, ND might get left behind. For as big as our fanbase is, they aren't the types to be following kids on instagram. And I think the team knows that because so much of the team's social media now references the players profiles trying to drive more activity for them.
                                                        I'm not so sure about that. The fact that there are like 15 ND football podcasts/message boards/publications and like 4 for even the biggest of the other powerhouses, leads me to think ND fans do consume this stuff at a high clip. They could totally be mobilized in that direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
                                                          ND has already lost a couple defenders who contributed this year and looked to be getting larger roles next year.

It does make me a little concerned about team culture.
                                                          Well ND did just lose their beloved defensive coordinator. By all accounts Lea was a huge positive influence in every player's lives. He was integral to the team culture. With him gone ND is kinda like a rudderless ship. Not saying it will end in disaster but the attrition on defense is definitely connected to Lea leaving.

Comment

I'm not so sure about that. The fact that there are like 15 ND football podcasts/message boards/publications and like 4 for even the biggest of the other powerhouses, leads me to think ND fans do consume this stuff at a high clip. They could totally be mobilized in that direction.
                                                            For me, it's not whether or not there is an ability for ND nation to compete with other programs on scale. It'd be whether or not ND would regulate it. Would ND have their own compliance team that everything would have to be run through and be cleared by. I could see that taking a lot of wind out the sails as far as opportunities go. Or, would they take the approach that I'm sure football factories will which is ask for forgiveness not for permission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                              For me, it's not whether or not there is an ability for ND nation to compete with other programs on scale. It'd be whether or not ND would regulate it. Would ND have their own compliance team that everything would have to be run through and be cleared by. I could see that taking a lot of wind out the sails as far as opportunities go. Or, would they take the approach that I'm sure football factories will which is ask for forgiveness not for permission.
                                                              It depends how it is structured certainly. But if athletes are just treated like non-athletes who can earn an income, I'm not sure ND would have the authority to review or regulate anything.

I suppose the players could sign a contract with ND agreeing to annual or quarterly financial disclosures, unless the statute prohibited school interference (which it very well could). But if you require financial disclosures and no other schools do, good night ND.

Comment

And that is, if the big 3 of Foskey, Botelho, and Justin A are fully healthy all season. One of those guys gets banged up or (knocks on wood) something worse, we're probably running a 3-4 to keep traditional DE's off the field. Only slightly kidding.
                                                                Dont you put that on me Ricky Bobby
                                                                "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• One has to wonder how many more players will enter the transfer portal for ND....

Comment

• this is NBD either, its just the new reality of CFB, the sky isn't falling
                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

Well, he only appeared in 8 games and had 2.5 sacks in those 149 snaps. So, I'd question what you were watching.

Anybody that says this is no big deal could very well end up being right but I'd question how you are processing the snaps. Workload is a very real thing. A lot of players can play 100 snaps/season at a high level. Who's ready to play 200+. We're losing 433 snaps from Hayes, 483 from Ade, and now 149 from Ovie.

Botelho was already expected to take on a significantly higher work load as is. This dramatically increases that and now forces one of Nana, Ehrensberger, or a freshman into a role that they have not built up too.
                                                                      If he got 2.5 sacks it was garbage time and probably sacks anyone playing that position on that play would have otherwise gotten. I don't remember him ever flashing and I enjoy watching the back ups quite a bit as we're always looking towards the future.

This one concerns me less than Griffith or Rutherford transferring.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post
                                                                        One has to wonder how many more players will enter the transfer portal for ND....
                                                                        indeed. there's already a couple that I cannot write off as simply "depth chart transfers"

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post
                                                                          If he got 2.5 sacks it was garbage time and probably sacks anyone playing that position on that play would have otherwise gotten. I don't remember him ever flashing and I enjoy watching the back ups quite a bit as we're always looking towards the future.

This one concerns me less than Griffith or Rutherford transferring.
                                                                          this one just didn't show up ready to roll...rankings didn't match what came
                                                                          EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• I have to imagine Lea should be snagging a few of these guys, right?
                                                                            I used to be D-BOE34 but I can't login for some reason. Will someone donate some vBucks?

Comment

• Originally posted by DONALDIII View Post
                                                                              I have to imagine Lea should be snagging a few of these guys, right?
                                                                              I would imagine Lea and BK had some type pf agreement that Lea won't poach, but if a player approaches him once he's onto Vandy, then it wouldn't be a problem. Lea strikes me as the type of guy that doesn't want to burn any bridges.

Comment

• Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                                this one just didn't show up ready to roll...rankings didn't match what came
                                                                                I know, that's unfortunate. I'd still be hopeful for him just given some people mature later and there is so much opportunity in the secondary, I'd like to still have him. But on the other side if he couldn't see the field with this year's secondary my goodness.

Comment

• This transfer is a bit confusing to me unless he believes he will be a starter where lever he goes.

Ovie would be in the two deep in 2021 and ND rotates the DLine as much as any team in the country. Without an injuries he could probably see 35-40% of DE snaps. And if there is an injury that would go up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                    this is NBD either, its just the new reality of CFB, the sky isn't falling
                                                                                    I'll feel a lot better once we start receiving a few transfers in. Til then, our depth is taking a fucking shot in a nads.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Texas bound

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                                                        Texas bound
                                                                                        Well shit. Anyone know if Freeman showed him the same love he showed Griffith?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                                                          Texas bound
                                                                                          Can't fault a kid for wanting to play at a lower level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                                                            This transfer is a bit confusing to me unless he believes he will be a starter where lever he goes.

Ovie would be in the two deep in 2021 and ND rotates the DLine as much as any team in the country. Without an injuries he could probably see 35-40% of DE snaps. And if there is an injury that would go up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                                                            If we're going to creep more towards a 3-3-5, not sure I could blame him. Not sure how it all will pan out this year, but it's probably a good time to leave for some with Freeman coming in and tweaking stuff. I'm guessing Freeman would have made it a point to recruit him back if he were going to be a vital cog.
                                                                                            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                            Working...
                                                                                            X