Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'18 PA OLB Matthew "Bo" Bauer (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '18 PA OLB Matthew "Bo" Bauer (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

EARLY ENROLLEE
    Matthew 'Bo' Bauer
    Inside Linebacker
    Erie, PA
    Cathedral Prep

Measurements:
    6-2.5

Rankings 6-1-17:

247 Comp ....... 4 star ..... #4 ILB ....... #139 OA .......... .9394 rating
    247 ................. 4 star ..... #3 ILB ....... #137 OA ........... 92
    Rivals .............. 4 star ..... #5 ILB ....... #103 OA ........... 5.9
    Scout ............... 4 star ..... #15 OLB .... #171 OA
    ESPN ................ 4 star ..... #6 ILB ....... #197 OA

Rankings 11-8-17:

247 Comp ....... 4 star ..... #10 ILB ....... #240 OA .......... .9107 rating
    247 ................. 3 star ..... #20 ILB ....... #283 OA ........... 88
    Rivals .............. 4 star ..... #5 ILB ......... #132 OA ........... 5.9
    Scout ............... 4 star ..... #10 OLB ...... #181 OA
    ESPN ................ 4 star ..... #15 ILB

Offers:
    Notre Dame ..................... Committed - 8-3-16
    Iowa St
    Maryland
    Mich St
    Penn St
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    Vandy
    Virginia
    WVU
    Akron

Media Links:

Twitter - BoBauer27

]Matthew Bauer - Hudl

Cathedral Prep (Erie, PA) Football |MaxPreps

Highlights:

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/4007239/highlights/322993375' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This guy is a WINNER! <a href="https://twitter.com/BoBauer27?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BoBauer27</a> has been waiting for nearly two years to join <a href="https://twitter.com/Coach_Lea?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Coach_Lea</a>'s LB core.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish </a> ☘ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrishBouND18?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ir ishBouND18</a> <a href="https://t.co/LLbiVtFtaS">pic.twitter.com/LLbiVtFtaS</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame Football (@NDFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDFootball/status/943456512806150144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 20, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Last edited by clashmore_mike; 01-14-2018, 11:41 AM.

Camping at ND this summer. Plays on a Maxpreps Top 10 school in PA. In 11games he had 104 tackles, 11 TFL and 3.5 Sacks.

Watching his film is a lot like watching Pete Werner's. He just got on the radar earlier.

Sounds like he grew up a PSU fan. Also appears to be a good baseball player, plays national travel ball.

Here's a freebie from Scout:

2018 LB Matthew Bauer was offered by Penn State; Michigan, Notre Dame on radar - Football Recruiting - Scout

2018 LB Matthew Bauer was offered by Penn State; Michigan, Notre Dame on radar

03/25/2016
    Erie (Pa.) Cathedral Prep 2018 linebacker Matthew Bauer already holds a Penn State offer, and more are sure to follow.

Matthew Bauer landed a Virginia offer during his freshman season, but the Erie (Pa.) Cathedral Prep standout did not hear from many other schools ...until Thursday.
    Then, the 2018 linebacker got back in touch with Penn State and picked up an offer that eased his mind, could change his recruitment, and brought a huge smile to his face.
    "When I was younger, I was the biggest Penn State fan," Bauer said. "I was all into it. I got to go to a few games. I really liked them. It's nice (to get the offer) because it's a big one, and it takes the pressure off. It's big to me, but I try to keep my head down and keep working."
    Bauer is set to camp at Michigan and Notre Dame this summer, but Penn State received its first glimpse of Bauer last summer when he performed well at its camp last summer.
    "They said they liked me," Bauer said. "I came back a month later and visited, and then I went to the San Diego State game, and then they told me to call them but we weren't in contact for a while. Then, they contacted my coach and they wanted me to call them, and then they said they wanted to offer me.
    "I was kind of surprised, really."
    Bauer likes Penn State a lot, but he will make other visits. However, because he plays baseball, getting to schools in the spring is difficult so he is looking at the late spring camp circuit in making his mark.
    "I'm going to the Michigan and Notre Dame camps, for sure, right now," Bauer said. "Those are two I am definitely looking at. Michigan State is interested, so that might be a possibility as well."
    Although Bauer has not had much contact with Michigan and Notre Dame, he is interested in both schools because of the combination of football and academics.
    "I'm interested in a business degree, and (Michigan is) pretty high in business degrees,he said. "They're ranked pretty high, and same with Notre Dame. It's an academically prestigious school, and that's something that I'd like to have as well."

Comment

Cathedral is one of the best in the state. Great team, usually not a ton of D-1 talent though on a national level. Love that ND is recruiting PA hard recently.

Comment

Coming for Irish Invasion.

PSU And ND In Great Shape For 4-star LB Bo Bauer - TU

The 247Sports, 92 overall 4-star is also being recruited by West Virginia, UCLA, Notre Dame, Michigan and Stanford, so more offers could be on their way for the 6-foot-3, 202-pounder.

“Notre Dame, that’s one of my tops,” Bauer said. “I’m pretty interested in them and Stanford, but there hasn’t been a whole lot of communication with Stanford yet.”

Should the Irish offer, they “would be at the top of the board” with Penn State, Bauer said.

Bauer separated his shoulder in the first game of his sophomore season, but finished strong by logging 111 tackles in nine games. His recovery, performance and the highlights he produced has many of the nation’s heavyweights making him a priority for their 2018 recruiting classes.

“They like how I’m kind of long and lanky,” Bauer said. “They like my lateral movement and how I’m fast, but I can still come downhill. I can run down running backs from behind, I can still drop back into pass coverage, fip my hips and things like that, and sack the quarterback.”

While Bauer still has close to two years to figure things out and make a decision, he has three main factors he’ll be looking for in a school.

“I want to play big-time football,” Bauer said. “I’d like to get a good education, so somewhere with a prestigious school there for that. I play baseball too, so somewhere that would let me play both sports so that’s probably the big three.”

“I’m going to Notre Dame this summer on June 18,” Bauer said. “I’m going to Michigan on June 20 and I’m going to Stanford in late July or early August.”

Comment

PREDICTION: Notre Dame. The Irish haven’t offered yet but they will and he will commit. How’s that for direct and blunt?--mike farrell
          EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
            PREDICTION: Notre Dame. The Irish haven’t offered yet but they will and he will commit. How’s that for direct and blunt?--mike farrell
            Wonder if he's got anything solid on that or is he jumping on the ND's grabbing all the white guys in the WPIAL train?

I've read a lot of local stuff on Bauer and what I've seen is 100% PSU comments. No Pitt, no ND mentions. Not even a, "I talked to Phil Jurkovec..." Now, that could be because the authors are all asking PSU questions but he has said PSU was his team growing up. I think they all have said that at one time or another though.

I hope ND can continue the success in WPa. The program was built on those guys, i grew up rooting for them. It just feels right when they are part of the program.

Now get off my lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
              Wonder if he's got anything solid on that or is he jumping on the ND's grabbing all the white guys in the WPIAL train?

I've read a lot of local stuff on Bauer and what I've seen is 100% PSU comments. No Pitt, no ND mentions. Not even a, "I talked to Phil Jurkovec..." Now, that could be because the authors are all asking PSU questions but he has said PSU was his team growing up. I think they all have said that at one time or another though.

I hope ND can continue the success in WPa. The program was built on those guys, i grew up rooting for them. It just feels right when they are part of the program.

Now get off my lawn.

from 247 Notre Dame offer would put the Irish right up there with Penn State, especially an offer this early in the process...he is also a DIV 1 baseball prospect and plans to play both...hook him up w/ hunter jr
              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                from 247 Notre Dame offer would put the Irish right up there with Penn State, especially an offer this early in the process...he is also a DIV 1 baseball prospect and plans to play both...hook him up w/ hunter jr
                Have him talk to Jeff Samardzija...or Golden Tate...or...
                "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Much like Hinish, he grew up a PSU fan. We'll just have to see if that matters more than education and football.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                    Much like Hinish, he grew up a PSU fan. We'll just have to see if that matters more than education and football.
                    If you're at a Catholic school in WPa, you are surrounded by ND fans or at least people that see ND as a back up team. Could very well be his situation too. That's a huge advantage for ND on the recruiting trail, Nd isn't the most popular team anywhere outside of Chicagoland and Northern Indiana but it's Top 2-5 in more markets than any other school by a wide margin.

Comment

Good news from a free Hugh Davis story by Anna@Scout:

Offer coming per Elston.

“He had me, Dallas Gant and Matthew Bauer rounded up at the end,” Davis said. “At some point, he said all three of us will have an offer. That feels amazing. Notre Dame is one of those places. It was great to hear.”
                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teammate of ND commits <a href="https://twitter.com/petewerner23">@petewerner23</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/markese_stepp">@markese_stepp</a> hoping to add Irish offer <a href="https://t.co/ozq3SMYRBI">https://t.co/ozq3SMYRBI</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/HughD5vis">@HughD5vis</a></p>&mdash; Anna Hickey (@AnnaHScout) <a href="https://twitter.com/AnnaHScout/status/745457692341264385">June 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
                      <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

He goes to the high school I graduated from. Very catholic. However, in the last couple of years Michigan St. has grabbed 2 kids from the school and it is starting to be pipeline. I feel like it comes down to MSU PSU and ND

Comment

Originally posted by wernd50 View Post
                          He goes to the high school I graduated from. Very catholic. However, in the last couple of years Michigan St. has grabbed 2 kids from the school and it is starting to be pipeline. I feel like it comes down to MSU PSU and ND
                          Bauer is going to be a much bigger recruit than Williams or Terry. They are at MSU because of lack of interest elsewhere and possibly the fact that PSU was going through the Sandusky sex scandal (and in Terry's case, that was Hackenburg's class.) I just looked them both up and Damion Terry was an interesting recruit. He was actually the #5 dual threat QB in '13, one spot behind Malik but only had 4 offers. He did lock in on MSU early and shut it down but 4 offers is pretty thin.

And a word of advice... p!pel!ne is a semi-banned word here at IE. Avoid it at all cost along with ARE KAY GEE. Both will get you Koon'd.

Comment

4 , #171 overall on Scout

Comment

Even though he doesn't have the offer yet he called ND his leader. However, BVG doesn't want him playing two sports in college and apparently playing baseball is something he's considering. We told him that we won't offer until he makes the decision to only play football.

I'd offer and take this kid tomorrow, if it were up to me.
                              Last edited by Luckylucci; 07-18-2016, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Even though he doesn't have the offer yet he called ND his leader. However, BVG doesn't want him playing two sports in college and apparently playing baseball is something he's considering. We told him that we won't offer until he makes the decision to only play football.

I'd offer and take this kid tomorrow, if it were up to me.
                                Wow. That's a bad sound when you have a current player doing both. Did I read something about Kmet possibly pitching? I know he plays summer ball and crafty 6-4 southpaws don't grow on trees.

One other thing to mention. Noah Burks didn't get that speech last year. He was another high level travel ball player. Maybe it's a new policy and Hunter made the grandfather clause.

Lastly, Hugh Davis stated in an interview that Elston told Gant, Bauer and him they would all get offered eventually. Gant ended up with the offer while there.

Comment

F'kn BVG. We have dudes play both all of the damn time. Why is he hell bent on farqing everything up for us all of the time?
                                  Originally posted by koonja
                                  I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Who was the last defensive player to play two sports? I can only think of the recents on Hunter Jr, Tate and Shark.

Most baseball players aren't built like D1 linebackers.
                                    “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

Comment

Is anybody on the defense playing both? If memory serves me, it's only been offensive players.

Comment

I have a feeling that this kid ends up at Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by ND Fan Vancouver View Post
                                          I have a feeling that this kid ends up at Penn State.

Comment

lol guess we should just go ahead and kick Tori Hunter off the team. Just when you think you can't hate BVG anymore. You offer this kid right now and you have your fifth 2018 commit and you're first LB who is a 250 kid.

BVG probably thinking "well it takes three years to learn my defense so there will be no time to play baseball"

Comment

Could it be because playing baseball would prevent him from bulking up in the offseason?

Comment

Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                Could it be because playing baseball would prevent him from bulking up in the offseason?
                                                No they specifically told him that the Mike LB has too much to learn in our system, lol. What a recruiting pitch that is.

Comment

No they specifically told him that the Mike LB has too much to learn in our system, lol. What a recruiting pitch that is.
                                                  lol I guessed it without reading the article. That has to be such a turnoff for a kid wanting to come in and play in our defense.

Comment

Like he's got three years to worry about it. Tick tock goes the clock.

Comment

It's funny how you rip BVG, but he is actually being honest with the kid compared to other programs. If the kid wasn't picking up the defense, you would complain about the kid playing baseball during the spring.

Would you want DeShone Kizer playing baseball and football? That's essentially what the MLB is. The kid will realize that he can't do both in college and also realize ND was honest with him the whole way through. That's the way these things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyWorm View Post
                                                        It's funny how you rip BVG, but he is actually being honest with the kid compared to other programs. If the kid wasn't picking up the defense, you would complain about the kid playing baseball during the spring.

Would you want DeShone Kizer playing baseball and football? That's essentially what the MLB is. The kid will realize that he can't do both in college and also realize ND was honest with him the whole way through. That's the way these things happen.
                                                        Don't come in here trying to get all logical. Ain't nobody got time for that sh!t.

Comment

He's also coming back for the MSU game and possibly another one this fall

Comment

Pick football. Pick Irish!
                                                            God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

It can't be that big of a turn off....he did say we are his leader
                                                              Last edited by NDdomer2; 07-19-2016, 07:35 AM.
                                                              Prehistoric

Comment

BVG aint gonna be at ND by the time this kid gets to campus
                                                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

Jameis Winston did it, won a Heisman, stole chicken legs, won a natty, and was able to get skrong along the way.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by DONTH8 View Post
                                                                    Jameis Winston did it, won a Heisman, stole chicken legs, won a natty, and was able to get skrong along the way.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
                                                                    Crab legs. C'mon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't come in here trying to get all logical. Ain't nobody got time for that sh!t.
                                                                      You mean there is a world outside of ND that could be more important to some people? Is that what my wife means when she says, "Go mow the lawn" and it's only a foot high?

Comment

I disagree. First of all, I don't want any player on defense to have the playbook responsibilities of a quarterback. I get the cliche "QB of the defense" mantra for MLB. But that is just an analogy regarding being the guy setting up the formations. The vast majority of college defenses are quick read in nature. They aren't so complicated that a kid couldn't handle playing another sport in the offseason.

Secondly, he could at least let him try it under the understanding that it's entirely dependent on his progress with the playbook.

Finally... Who do you think is smarter? Nick Saban or BVG?

Linebacker for Alabama football is playing baseball for Tide this spring - Alabama - Scout
                                                                        Last edited by woolybug25; 07-19-2016, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I was just in Nashville during the SEC media days and I heard multiple players now in NFL from Bama say that Alabama's defense was the most difficult defense they ever had to learn.

I would like to think they guys enrolling at ND have the same mental capacity or greater than those playing FB in Tuscaloosa.

So why does Saban get praised for his NFL defensive schemes and how difficult it is why BVG's gets ridiculed for his being too difficult and NFL like?
                                                                          Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                            I was just in Nashville during the SEC media days and I heard multiple players now in NFL from Bama say that Alabama's defense was the most difficult defense they ever had to learn.

I would like to think they guys enrolling at ND have the same mental capacity or greater than those playing FB in Tuscaloosa.

So why does Saban get praised for his NFL defensive schemes and how difficult it is why BVG's gets ridiculed for his being too difficult and NFL like?
                                                                            Because Alabama has a great defense year in and year out. ND, not so much. It's not a matter of comparing the mental capacity of the players at each school. Maybe take a look at the difference in the teachers relaying the message.

I mean, that's the literal difference. If ND, came out this year and had a defense like the one Alabama fields every year, he would immediately receive praise for his complex, NFL sceme.

Saban's scheme = success = praise
                                                                            BVG's scheme = failure = ridicule
                                                                            Last edited by Irish Man3; 07-19-2016, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• #42

Because Saban can actually teach his players the defense.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                                I disagree. First of all, I don't want any player on defense to have the playbook responsibilities of a quarterback. I get the cliche "QB of the defense" mantra for MLB. But that is just an analogy regarding being the guy setting up the formations. The vast majority of college defenses are quick read in nature. They aren't so complicated that a kid couldn't handle playing another sport in the offseason.
                                                                                This man knows.

Defenses can be complicated, and a safety/LB that's calling the shots might have a lot on his plate...

But it is nowhere near (and should be nowhere near) the same commitment as playing QB. Defense is read-and-react by it's very nature. QB is about mastering and then dictating.

An ILB that plays in a complex defensive system needs to know what to look for and how to line people up in the base scheme, sure... but a great ILB is making his money during game week, prepping for the proper reads based on the unique offense that he's playing against that week.

A guy that wants to play both baseball and football shouldn't worry about learning a defense that is too complicated to allow multitasking.

I understand that BVG probably wants someone who is dedicated entirely to football, and nothing but football... but the admission that his defense is THAT complicated is just ridiculous.

Comment

• #44

It can't be that big of a turn off....he did say we are his leader

Secondly, he could at least let him try it under the understanding that it's entirely dependent on his progress with the playbook.

Finally... Who do you think is smarter? Nick Saban or BVG?

Linebacker for Alabama football is playing baseball for Tide this spring - Alabama - Scout

Usually, I mistake what I see of a situation, for what it reminds me of in my past. Thanks for laying this out well, gentlemen.

More and more, I don't think the problems of the two years of defense under BVG are a problem with kids being able to learn a complex defense. Instead of intelligence, maybe they are a problem with lack of discipline, or being able to think on your feet and react. (I personally had a problem with that, and I played in the era where you just killed the man with the ball, literally, with rocks and clubs, and maybe flint or broken bone shards.)

Seriously, there could be teamwork or trust problems, or all of the above. Hellfire, someone inferred that ND players should be smarter than Bama players, maybe, regardless of intelligence, with the overall load of working in real classes, it effectively depletes much more intelligence than at a school where you take basket-weaving.

Regardless, the right personnel wasn't there, the personnel that was there, wasn't used well all the time, and injuries correlated with late season drop-offs in productivity.

As far as this young man and what he was told, there could be a whole range of nuance to the issues involved. Unlike others that play more than one sport, he may be more like Bubba Sterling, and show a decided preference for baseball. Or at least have given the coaches some pause to consider his dedication to football over baseball. Especially if the coaches got some indication that he may not be confident in being able to do both.

In other words, this kid may have presented a totally different situation to the coaches than we are getting from his report. I once was interviewing candidates for a more advanced position under my oversight. So when I got to 'the candidate,' the guy everyone considered a no brainer for the position, as he sat in my office, he started rearranging things. Constantly. Nothing big. But nothing could be left the same. So I set him up with a second interview, and positive kudo's for the interview he had done. I MMPed him. And had an industrial psychologist I had a good relationship with conduct part of the second interview. He shook his head no.

Turned out this guy really wanted to run things. Everything. Just a small tell, but I caught it. Everyone criticized me including my boss for passing. Another manager scooped him up and enthusiastically put him in a similar position. Fired the guy five months later.

This is an extreme example, but things are not always what they seem.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                    So Bama does it with a complex system & dumber players.

Michigan St does it with lower rated players who I'd assume, a lower rated in the classroom also.

BC leads the nation with 2 & 3 star players.

What are you guys saying?

Comment

• #46
                                                                                      Because Saban can actually teach his players the defense.
                                                                                      So then the issue isn't actually how difficult the defense is (which is what all the complaints I read state), its that ND coaches are incapable of teaching it?
                                                                                      Last edited by NDdomer2; 07-19-2016, 07:06 PM.
                                                                                      Prehistoric

Comment

• #47
                                                                                        Per Loy, calling the staff tonight to tell them he's no longer interested in playing plaing baseball in college.
                                                                                        Last edited by KPENN; 07-26-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                          Originally posted by KPENN View Post
                                                                                          Per Loy, calling the staff tonight to tell them he's no longer interested in playing two sports in college.
                                                                                          what other sport was he playing... or is he giving up football???
                                                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                            Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                                            what other sport was he playing... or is he giving up football???
                                                                                            Was planning on playing football/baseball, giving up baseball.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                              thx sir
                                                                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                              Working...
                                                                                              X