Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'15 IL WR Miles Boykin (Notre Dame Signed NLI)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • '15 IL WR Miles Boykin (Notre Dame Signed NLI)

    Wide Receiver
    New Lenox, Illinois
    Providence Catholic



    Ht: 6'4"
    Wt: 220 lbs

    RANKINGS:
    Rivals: WR #17 | Overall #156
    24/7: WR #32
    Scout: WR #20 | Overall #161
    ESPN: WR #36
    Composite: WR #25 | Overall #195

    OFFERS:
    Notre Dame
    Arizona State
    Florida
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Missouri
    N.C. State
    Ohio State
    Ole Miss
    Oregon
    Toledo
    Virginia Tech
    Wisconsin

    Miles Boykin - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl
    Last edited by Ironman8; 01-23-2015, 12:42 AM.
    This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

  • #2
    Visiting this weekend for the basketball game per II. Was at ND for the BYU game this past year as well.

    Was also reportedly very impressive at the UA Combine this past month.
    This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

    Comment


    • #3
      Is he going to be one of the Core 6 or what ever it is called?
      Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

      Comment


      • #4
        Love the size. Wonder what kind of speed he can possibly have at that weight.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
          Love the size. Wonder what kind of speed he can possibly have at that weight.
          247 lists him as a 4.41, while ESPN a 4.77.

          Let's just take the difference between the two; 4.59.

          I'm happy with that number.

          Comment


          • #6
            My opinion - the kid has big time upside. Watched half of his highlights. He looks highly athletic for someone who is 6'5". He catches balls at their high points well, BUT he does a bad job extending his arms at balls thrown anywhere he doesn't have to stretch. His stock blocking technique could use some work too. He's raw, but he does some things naturally pretty well.

            Either way, I'd be more than fine with an offer considering his upside.
            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

            Comment


            • #7
              Same high school as Pete Berich.

              Comment


              • #8
                Full Rankings:

                247C: #32 WR #265 OVR (.9017 Rating)
                247: #37 WR #NR OVR (90 Rating)
                Rivals: #28 WR #237 OVR (5.8 Rating)
                lolESPN: N/A
                Scout: #31 WR

                Comment


                • #9
                  Future TE?
                  I'm kind of a big deal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would take him, kid seems legit, could be in the Justin Brent category... I like the tall, but still athletic WRs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CanadalovesND View Post
                      247 lists him as a 4.41, while ESPN a 4.77.

                      Let's just take the difference between the two; 4.59.

                      I'm happy with that number.
                      I don't buy that for one minute. That would just be insane. I agree with your assessment though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                        My opinion - the kid has big time upside. Watched half of his highlights. He looks highly athletic for someone who is 6'5". He catches balls at their high points well, BUT he does a bad job extending his arms at balls thrown anywhere he doesn't have to stretch. His stock blocking technique could use some work too. He's raw, but he does some things naturally pretty well.

                        Either way, I'd be more than fine with an offer considering his upside.
                        Don't want.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                          Full Rankings:

                          247C: #32 WR #265 OVR (.9017 Rating)
                          247: #37 WR #NR OVR (90 Rating)
                          Rivals: #28 WR #237 OVR (5.8 Rating)
                          lolESPN: N/A
                          Scout: #31 WR
                          This kid is going to be a national recruit after he hits more camps. Those numbers will be smaller in a few months. Hope ND offers him soon.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                            I don't buy that for one minute. That would just be insane. I agree with your assessment though.
                            Agree. A 6'4" WR at 230 lbs that can run a 4.4 should be a five star, top 5 recruit. That's Calvin Johnson stuff.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by IrishLion10 View Post
                              Agree. A 6'4" WR at 230 lbs that can run a 4.4 should be a five star, top 5 recruit. That's Calvin Johnson stuff.
                              Exactly what I was gonna say, I just didn't want to be the only one. Still, a 4.5 is plenty fast for a 230 pound guy.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                Exactly what I was gonna say, I just didn't want to be the only one. Still, a 4.5 is plenty fast for a 230 pound guy.
                                More like Demarius Thomas from Denver. Calvin is like 6'6'' 235 and runs a 4.3. There's something different genetically with that dude. Lucky sonovabitch.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  4.41 is pretty darn close enough for me to begin making Megatron comparisons. Besides, who wants to be compared to D Thomas? If you're gonna go big, go all the way.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by NDinMich View Post
                                    Future TE?
                                    Since you brought this up. TJ mentioned that many feel that's his best future position but mainly split out wide. He also mentions that next years TE class is rather weak and looking to position switch may be in his best interest. Basically, that's what we're going to recruit it for and sees if he's down with the idea

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                      Since you brought this up. TJ mentioned that many feel that's his best future position but mainly split out wide. He also mentions that next years TE class is rather weak and looking to position switch may be in his best interest. Basically, that's what we're going to recruit it for and sees if he's down with the idea
                                      This is what I was thinking when looking at his junior year highlights. Looks to have a nice frame to add some weight and some nice long speed. Goes up for the ball nicely and makes contested catches. Didn't look like an athlete enough for wide receiver, but did show athleticism for his size and for the tight end position. Needs to improve a lot in the blocking department imo.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Notre Dame visit was awesome! Had a great time!</p>&mdash; miles boykin (@MBoykin814) <a href="https://twitter.com/MBoykin814/statuses/432303377934848000">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
                                        <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rivals250&amp;src=hash">#Rivals250</a> WR Miles Boykin (<a href="https://twitter.com/MBoykin814">@MBoykin814</a>) recaps Saturday visit to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a>, eyes return trip ($): <a href="http://t.co/vcwqVfD9oX">http://t.co/vcwqVfD9oX</a></p>&mdash; Jake Brown (@Jake_Brown) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jake_Brown/statuses/432307752921079808">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
                                          <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            He had a productive trip. Was able to get a better feel for campus and what the coaching staff thinks of him. We see him as a flex out TE and he said he was intruiged by that idea. Elliot was the coach he spent time with and the players were Robinson and Redfield. If Boykin likes the plan an offer could come soon. Tentatively scheduled for Junior Day.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              @ISDUpdate: 2015 IL WR/TE Miles Boykin (@MBoykin814) enjoyed his second trip to #NotreDame enough to plan a third. (Premium) Irish Sports Daily Forums

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Glad he is being looked at more of a tight end. Needs to improve his blocking technique, but can be a weapon there.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  @AnnaHScout: 4-star WR/TE hybrid Miles Boykin of New Lenox (Ill.) Providence Catholic recaps visit & discussion of Irish offer ($) Scout.com: Top Illinois wide out nearing Irish offer

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Originally posted by Brooklyn View Post
                                                    Glad he is being looked at more of a tight end. Needs to improve his blocking technique, but can be a weapon there.
                                                    If he's anywhere near the 4.41 originally reported I'd be happy with him at wide receiver.
                                                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                      If he's anywhere near the 4.41 originally reported I'd be happy with him at wide receiver.
                                                      He ran a 4.77 laser timed 40 at the UA Combine I believe. To get a real feel on his speed I'd compare that # to what other kids his position and/or size did.
                                                      This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post
                                                        He ran a 4.77 laser timed 40 at the UA Combine I believe. To get a real feel on his speed I'd compare that # to what other kids his position and/or size did.
                                                        Yup, this is more likely his range based on the highlights. Definitely doesn't look under 4.6.

                                                        BTW, I am not saying he can't play WR, just that he would only be a very good athlete at his position at TE.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Originally posted by Cpnd1 View Post
                                                          @AnnaHScout: 4-star WR/TE hybrid Miles Boykin of New Lenox (Ill.) Providence Catholic recaps visit & discussion of Irish offer ($) Scout.com: Top Illinois wide out nearing Irish offer
                                                          -The staff told him that they think he is the top player in Illinois this year.

                                                          -He likes that Notre Dame is close to home, great academics, and a great football team with good fans.

                                                          -Coming back for junior day.

                                                          -He has no favorites.

                                                          I really, really want this kid in a Notre Dame uniform. He could be a great receiving threat

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            move to TE and i'm down with him...hopefully we can get looks from more explosive downfield threats
                                                            Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              PROs
                                                              Strong hands
                                                              High points the ball
                                                              Good hands / catches ball away from body / catches balls off target
                                                              Long fluid running style
                                                              Above average speed
                                                              Good burst
                                                              Above average athleticism
                                                              Above average jumping ability
                                                              Has “Want To” when blocking (aggressive / punishing blocker)
                                                              Runs strong seam routes
                                                              Adjusts very well to ball in flight
                                                              Strong vision with catch space
                                                              Hand fighting +
                                                              Body control +
                                                              Release +
                                                              Break Tackle + -

                                                              CONs
                                                              Unbalanced stance
                                                              Bad takeoffs / false steps
                                                              Weak on short routes especially WR screen
                                                              Needs to learn how to use arms properly to assist in route running
                                                              Bad blocking technique (arm lockout, feet movement, hip distance)

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Notre Dame visit was awesome! Had a great time!</p>&mdash; miles boykin (@MBoykin814) <a href="https://twitter.com/MBoykin814/statuses/432303377934848000">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
                                                                <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  That's one big sumbitch right there. I gotta watch this guys highlights and see how many kids he just runs right over.
                                                                  "Fvck Michigan" - The World

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                                                                    PROs
                                                                    Strong hands
                                                                    High points the ball
                                                                    Good hands / catches ball away from body / catches balls off target
                                                                    Long fluid running style
                                                                    Above average speed
                                                                    Good burst
                                                                    Above average athleticism
                                                                    Above average jumping ability
                                                                    Has “Want To” when blocking (aggressive / punishing blocker)
                                                                    Runs strong seam routes
                                                                    Adjusts very well to ball in flight
                                                                    Strong vision with catch space
                                                                    Hand fighting +
                                                                    Body control +
                                                                    Release +
                                                                    Break Tackle + -

                                                                    CONs
                                                                    Unbalanced stance
                                                                    Bad takeoffs / false steps
                                                                    Weak on short routes especially WR screen
                                                                    Needs to learn how to use arms properly to assist in route running
                                                                    Bad blocking technique (arm lockout, feet movement, hip distance)
                                                                    Pretty typical for kids coming out of HS. Coaches at that level don't get the time to spend as much one on one developing some of the little nuances. Fortunately this isn't a problem that can't be corrected.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                      Pretty typical for kids coming out of HS. Coaches at that level don't get the time to spend as much one on one developing some of the little nuances. Fortunately this isn't a problem that can't be corrected.
                                                                      I have a certain system for evaluating WR/TE talent. That's just one of the points of emphasis. It's usually only the elite guys who use their arms properly in route running. Like you said, it's highly rare for HS pass catchers to have that level of refinement.

                                                                      The crop of '15 WRs is not as deep with talent as years before, so Boykin's upside and versatility could be huge assets.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                                                                        I have a certain system for evaluating WR/TE talent. That's just one of the points of emphasis. It's usually only the elite guys who use their arms properly in route running. Like you said, it's highly rare for HS pass catchers to have that level of refinement.

                                                                        The crop of '15 WRs is not as deep with talent as years before, so Boykin's upside and versatility could be huge assets.
                                                                        And with us having taken 6 WR and 4 TE over the past 2 cycles I can see us being selective about who we take this go around. We have a lot of backlogged talent at the position which is a great problem to have. Just need to keep finding these versatile, and criminally underrated guys to throw to.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          6 CB's in for MSU

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                                                                            6 CB's in for MSU
                                                                            You think ND could have a shot here? If we push, maybe?

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                                                                              You think ND could have a shot here? If we push, maybe?
                                                                              He's unofficially visited ND twice now, and has been adamant about his desire to return for a third visit. Seems like we have a great shot with his recruitment.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                                                                                You think ND could have a shot here? If we push, maybe?
                                                                                Yes for sure if we want him

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by CanadalovesND View Post
                                                                                  He's unofficially visited ND twice now, and has been adamant about his desire to return for a third visit. Seems like we have a great shot with his recruitment.
                                                                                  Good. I honestly love this kid's upside. I've been watching everything I can get on the top 40ish guys (WR), especially ones with any ND interest.

                                                                                  He goes up and gets the ball as well as anyone in the country. I think he'll grow into his body a bit more and he could add enough weight to be a monster mismatch while retaining his speed/body control. I'd love to see him in a hybrid role. You'd be able to split him out, flex him, motion him to the slot, and still use him inline.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                                                                                    You think ND could have a shot here? If we push, maybe?
                                                                                    IMO, seems like if ND offers they'll land him.
                                                                                    60% of the time, it works every time.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                                                      IMO, seems like if ND offers they'll land him.
                                                                                      Pretty sure that is an accurate read.

                                                                                      The new way ISD is doing "in the film room" is also awesome. Great breakdown of Boykin.

                                                                                      <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/86290025" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/86290025">In the Film Room: Miles Boykin (2015)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user8017719">Michael Frank</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        Bumped up to Overall #114 in the updated Rivals 250
                                                                                        This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          even talked in his little update that he looks like a TE.

                                                                                          said he dominated at the Under Armour Combine...too physical for most corners he went against

                                                                                          IrishIllustrated.com - Rivers tops big movers in updated Rivals250
                                                                                          Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by irishfanjho15
                                                                                            I'd bring this kid in as a hybrid WR/TE and go after one of IN Bellamy or TX Wesley. There are other guys I'd want more but I want a shifty speedster that we can get and keep.
                                                                                            Yep, use him like the Colts did with Dallas Clark. He was a mismatch all the time.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              Definitely feel like this kid is going to be a good one. Recent SBT article.
                                                                                              WR recruit Boykin making another trip to Notre Dame - South Bend Tribune: Recruiting

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by adsnorri View Post
                                                                                                Definitely feel like this kid is going to be a good one. Recent SBT article.
                                                                                                WR recruit Boykin making another trip to Notre Dame - South Bend Tribune: Recruiting

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  Offered
                                                                                                  "I'm not a film evaluator"
                                                                                                  - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Nice.

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X