Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'13 MN WR James Onwualu (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '13 MN WR James Onwualu (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

Wide Receiver
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Cretin Derham Hall

Ht: 6'2"
    Wt: 205
    40: 4.51

Rankings:
    ESPN: #31 ATH
    Rivals: #20 ATH
    Scout: #33 WR
    24/7: 88 Grade, #50 WR

Offers:

Notre Dame
    Arizona
    California
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Iowa St
    Kansas
    Michigan
    Michigan St
    Minnesota
    Nebraska
    Northwestern
    Ohio St
    Pittsburgh
    Purdue
    Stanford
    UCLA
    Vanderbilt
    Wisconsin

Film:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W_qLAjCLj6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Ironman8; 12-05-2012, 11:59 AM.

Article up on II.

Another Cretin-Derham WR Likes ND

Has him at 205 though.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound junior wide receiver from Cretin-Derham Hall (St. Paul, Minn.) is working with former Cretin-Derham Hall and Notre Dame standout, Michael Floyd. While Floyd is getting ready for the NFL Draft, Onwualu is getting himself ready for his senior season and ultimately college.

Comment

SAN ANTONIO - James Onwualu is getting ready for the next level by working out with somebody who is preparing for the next, next level.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound junior wide receiver from Cretin-Derham Hall (St. Paul, Minn.) is working with former Cretin-Derham Hall and Notre Dame standout, Michael Floyd. While Floyd is getting ready for the NFL Draft, Onwualu is getting himself ready for his senior season and ultimately college.

“Mike’s been a great friend of mine since I was younger,” said Onwualu, whose older brother John played with Floyd in high school.

“I always looked up to him and went to him for a lot of help as I was young, watching him play at Cretin-Derham Hall. Obviously, we know how he did there. He’s had great success in high school and college, so it’s been great watching him and being able to contact him to reach out for help and tips.”

Floyd’s been helping Onwualu with his fundamentals and speed.

“Mainly working on our routes. I’ve been working out with him, running some routes,” Onwualu said. “We’re both trying to work on our speed. He’s much faster than me, obviously, he’s a great athlete. Just working on all-around physical ability and everything.”

Onwualu has been clocked at 4.51 in the 40-yard dash and shined at the Under Armour Underclassmen Combine before standing out at the Army All-American Underclassmen Combine in San Antonio. He enjoys competing for sure.

“It’s great,” he said. “I love being around players that are the same caliber as me. I was fortunate enough to go to Under Armour All-American combine last week. I did well there, I was ranked number two out of everybody there. This is my passion. I love playing with kids who are as good as me and compete.”

Playing running back for Cretin-Derham, Onwualu had rushed for 1,092 yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior. A recent offer from Purdue gives him five total along with offers from Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota and Stanford.

He made the rounds on the camp circuit this summer.

“I went down to Florida, I went out to Stanford and actually made a stop at Notre Dame as well,” he said.

Onwualu enjoyed his stop in South Bend.

“It was great,” he said. “Obviously, Cretin-Derham Hall has been kind of a tradition for a lot of players to go there and have a great time there. It was great finally meeting the coaches and finally being around the environment. It was one of my top schools.”

He’s kept in touch with Irish recruiting coordinator Chuck Martin.

I’ve been talking to Coach Martin a lot actually,” he said. “They have high interest in me. They’re busy with their seniors, but hopefully we’re going to be able to get this started and possibly be a part of the team.”

If the Irish come through with an offer, they’d be a major player in Onwualu’s recruitment.

“That’s one of my top schools right now.”
      Could be an interesting recruitment.

Comment

He seems to have similar measurables to Floyd...and a similar school. :) hahaha
        "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

really like this kid. good find

Comment

gotta like the pipeline from mike too...gotta think that gives us a good shot at him.
            Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

This kid is a lot of fun to watch. I played receiver (and a little corner) in college, I do not claim to be an expert but feel that I can add to the discussion on some of these recruits. The following is based off the limited film I have watched on Onwualu.

First and foremost, James is a natural runner, he is comfortable and effortless in his running style. For his size he has great balance, a low, strong center of gravity that allows him, like MF3, to break a lot of tackles. He has very good speed and a strong burst, but you all can see that.

What I like most about Onwualu is his lateral movement and vision. Laterally he can make people miss, he is fluid in his hips and keeping his feet in proper position to make appropriate cuts making it difficult for tacklers to put a helmet across him and wrap him up (this coupled with his ability to run through tackles makes him a great high school WR/RB). His vision is highlighted quite a bit in the above highlights, as he makes many cutbacks that allow him to gain much more yardage and, on many occasion break for the endzone. Vision is something, IMHO, that I believe is a natural talent.

It's hard to get an idea of his route running ability but the routes I can see in the limited videos I have are strong, crisp, and fluid. Get's good separation and gets to the ball. I especially like how he lowers his hips on 'stick' routes, that's pretty advanced.

Only area I can really see that needs some improvement is his catching the ball with his hands out in front of his body. We called it "strong hands". He tends to, from what I am seeing, let the ball get into his body a bit to much. In college, without the same amount of separation he is used to in HS, DBs/LBs will jar those loose from time to time.

All in all loving this kid. Definitely hope he follows MF3 and ends up Irish.
              Last edited by irishfanjho15; 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                This kid is a lot of fun to watch. I played receiver (and a little corner) in college, I do not claim to be an expert but feel that I can add to the discussion on some of these recruits. The following is based off the limited film I have watched on Onwualu.

First and foremost, James is a natural runner, he is comfortable and effortless in his running style. For his size he has great balance, a low, strong center of gravity that allows him, like MF3, to break a lot of tackles. He has very good speed and a strong burst, but you all can see that.

What I like most about Onwualu is his lateral movement and vision. Laterally he can make people miss, he is fluid in his hips and keeping his feet in proper position to make appropriate cuts making it difficult for tacklers to put a helmet across him and wrap him up (this coupled with his ability to run through tackles makes him a great high school WR/RB). His vision is highlighted quite a bit in the above highlights, as he makes many cutbacks that allow him to gain much more yardage and, on many occasion break for the endzone. Vision is something, IMHO, that I believe is a natural talent.

It's hard to get an idea of his route running ability but the routes I can see in the limited videos I have are strong, crisp, and fluid. Get's good separation and gets to the ball. I especially like how he lowers his hips on 'stick' routes, that's pretty advanced.

Only area I can really see that needs some improvement is his catching the ball with his hands out in front of his body. We called it "strong hands". He tends to, from what I am seeing, let the ball get into his body a bit to much. In college, without the same amount of separation he is used to in HS, DBs/LBs will jar those loose from time to time.

All in all loving this kid. Definitely hope he follows MF3 and ends up Irish.
                Great analysis man, much appreciated!
                "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

Comment

Originally posted by NDinFL View Post
                  Great analysis man, much appreciated!
                  Thanks bro.

Comment

Cretin Derham Hall is powerhouse in MN high school football and has huge success sending kids to the next level (a la Mike Floyd lol). Really hope we can land him.

Comment

body features remind me of justin ferguson.

hopefully get's the hands thing worked out.

Comment

I actually like his high school film better than Floyd's high school film. lol

Comment

Originally posted by MNIrish14 View Post
                          Cretin Derham Hall is powerhouse in MN high school football and has huge success sending kids to the next level (a la Mike Floyd lol). Really hope we can land him.
                          Uhhhh....Seantrel Henderson???

Duh
                          Last edited by Rack Em; 01-13-2012, 01:49 AM. Reason: left off my sarcasm font

Comment

visiting this weekend per ISD

Comment

I like that.
                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

visiting this early is usually a good thing is it not? That means he may have grown up a ND fan or admired ND in some way...

Comment

Originally posted by NDhoosier View Post
                                  visiting this early is usually a good thing is it not? That means he may have grown up a ND fan or admired ND in some way...
                                  Well...he does go to Cretin-Derham and keeps contact with Michael Floyd...

Comment

He will probably pick up an offer on the visit

Comment

Matt Carufel was also from Cretin-Durham.

Comment

reminds me a lot of justin ferguson from this year...huge upside.

Comment

Cretin-Derham Star Visiting ND

Comment

Looks very promising for Notre Dame in my opinion. He said he wanted to commit early as well. I think we have a legit shot and getting this kid and getting him early.

Comment

Looks like a good football player. Little concerned about his speed.

Comment

Originally posted by t3hjc View Post
                                                Looks like a good football player. Little concerned about his speed.
                                                Floyd speed...as a Junior.
                                                Sounds good to me.
                                                We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

Received an offer per Scout.

Comment

Very good. Hopefully mike gets in his ear

Comment

gotta think we are in really good shape here.

Comment

No Access from Blue and Gold- Onwualu Talks Irish Visit, Offer

Comment

Stanford, MSU, Iowa offers already plus ours. Definitely nothing to turn your nose up at in January of his Junior year. Chances are he grows an inch or two between now and the time he steps on a college campus. Lots of upside here.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if he were the second 2013 commit.

Comment

If those measureables are true, he is an enormous WR for a Jr in high school with more than adequate speed.

Comment

Onwualu Talks ND Offer, Visit

Costs free.99 to view this one.

Comment

Originally posted by kuehnja View Post
                                                                  Onwualu Talks ND Offer, Visit

Costs free.99 to view this one.
                                                                  Nice read. The kid seems to like what ND is doing and by all accounts he's a "perfect fit" here. Floyd going 1st round can't hurt things either!

Comment

No rush on committing. We should feel really good with this guy...if he's half as good as #3 we are in for a treat.
                                                                    We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

If we push we probably land him by spring game. I hope we push. Legit combine-measured 6'1.75" and 205 pounds. Questions on his speed though.

Comment

I like him more than Jordan Payton

Comment

RT @MichaelMFloyd: From a former Raider... I just want to wake up and congratulate James Onwualu for getting a offer from the Irish. That's what #hardwork does

Comment

We lead with some west coast schools and the state school likely to factor in heavily.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                                                                              We lead with some west coast schools and the state school likely to factor in heavily.
                                                                              Is coach Fox back at Minnesota State? Damn, I loved that show.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Lol, wut?
                                                                                sigpic

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Minnesota. Come on people!

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Minnesota-Duluth. Come on people!
                                                                                    Fixed. At least he'd have a chance at a NC there.
                                                                                    sigpic

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      I'd rather play for the Screaming Eagles than the Golden Gophers.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Onwualu Would Be Good Fit

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Really feel like we're going to land this kid before the season starts.
                                                                                          60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            In talking to him, really impressive. Articulate, well-spoken. Not Floyd's caliber athletically, but think he'll be a nice player on the next level.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              will be very surprised if he doesn't end up Irish

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Weis offered haha going to be the next Michael Floyd at Kansas
                                                                                                “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                                                                  will be very surprised if he doesn't end up Irish
                                                                                                  Why? Is he on record as having the Irish out in front?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    from floyd's old school and all signs point to us from what i've read. just would be very surprising to me.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X