Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'13 IN ATH Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame Man & Graduate)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post

He still grades well above average,… hell he still grades as good. I think his contract is a future worry???
    That's what some are saying. The only guaranteed money for next year is injury related or something, $9+ mil. Some reporters are saying they didn't want to take the chance. Apparently they were trying to find a trade and weren't getting bites. His numbers are down this year, but it is surprising nobody wanted him or maybe they plan to claim him off waivers? Someone reported he was graded as #11th best LB still, and he had 2nd most tackles in the NFL last year I think. If you talk to Cowboys fans they act like he's the weakest link on that defense the last few years though.

Comment

• I don't follow him or the NFL but did watch a few snaps over the last couple years and it looks like he's running with someone on his back. I give him credit for even playing. Wish it would have worked out different for him.

Comment

• Jaylon is an all timer in an ND uniform for me and I’m a Cowboys fan as well. This was such a beautiful marriage and a hard divorce. I don’t know when the last time I was that excited for a Cowboys draft pick. Really bummed this didn’t work out.

I can’t say I’ve read the PFF grades but from what I’ve seen he’s been underwhelming the last couple of years. And not worth that money. He’s a step slower and much less aggressive than his his first 2 years in the league. He does not shed block like he used. Too much trying to avoid blockers which moves him out position quite a bit. He’s just not as violent as he used to be. I’ve kind of assumed it’s wear and tear on the body. As soon as Parsons was drafted I assumed this was inevitable.

He’ll have for 31.5M from the Cowboys and will most certainly find work elsewhere.

Good luck Jaylon. #ClearEyeView.

Comment

• As severe as his injury was, could be it has finally caught up with him and being able to play at an NFL level. He got the payday he worked for all his life, so he'll do just fine if he doesn't get picked up.

Imagine Jaylon playing in Freeman's defense!

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
            As severe as his injury was, could be it has finally caught up with him and being able to play at an NFL level. He got the payday he worked for all his life, so he'll do just fine if he doesn't get picked up.

Imagine Jaylon playing in Freeman's defense!
            his lateral movement just isn't good anymore, sad to see
            What did Davonte do?

Comment

• I was just in Dicks the other day saying how cool it was that they still had a big picture of Jaylon above their Adidas section. Bummer.

Comment

• Packers signing him
                Congratulations to Brian Kelly for being Notre Dame's career leader in losses.

Comment

• Let’s face it, Jaylon’s success at ND was the product of playing next to the best pre snap linebacker in football, Joe Schmidt. He’s not been the same player since.
                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• WRONG. Jaylon is on record saying that he was mentored by Notre Dames superstar graduate senior linebacker Carlo Calabrese, in his freshman season, and learnt everything he knows from him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Calabrese's People View Post
                      WRONG. Jaylon is on record saying that he was mentored by Notre Dames superstar graduate senior linebacker Carlo Calabrese, in his freshman season, and learnt everything he knows from him.

You guys really not going to give Harry Hiestand the credit he earned here?

Comment

• It's Quinn's fault he was released.

Comment

• As a Packers fan, I'm fired up by this signing and hoping his regression in play can simply be chalked up to some ghastly Dallas defenses the past few years.

In any case, we certainly needed some depth at LB. Hope he kills it and signs a long term deal next offseason.
                          My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                            Yeah he’s just not very good tbh

One of my favorite ND players of all time but he always look like he’s stuck in mud in the NFL
                            probably had to do with his knee injury in the fiesta bowl, it's amazing he's even in the nfl. the best lb in nd history, would have been great to see what his nfl career would have been without the knee injury. at least he got paid by the cowboys.

Comment

• Originally posted by IRISHMAN View Post

probably had to do with his knee injury in the fiesta bowl, it's amazing he's even in the nfl. the best lb in nd history, would have been great to see what his nfl career would have been without the knee injury. at least he got paid by the cowboys.
                              There should be a vote on that.
                              Was he better than JOK?

Comment

• He’s an all timer but I can’t wait to see him get roasted by the Browns in the Super Bowl,……
                                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IRISHMAN View Post

I think that he was the most physically gifted linebacker in ND history who was mis- and under- used during his time here. JOK had much more impact as have many others.

Comment

• Everyone knows that Joe Schmidt is the best LB in Notre Dame history...at getting the defense lined up.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

There should be a vote on that.
                                      Was he better than JOK?
                                      Was he better than Stonebreaker, Crable or Lynch? IMO and it's just mine, I don't think Jaylon was as productive as the three I mentioned. He was more gifted athletically, but his talents weren't utilized like they should have been which is no fault of his own.

Comment

• Was he better than Manti?

Comment

• For the recent guys, I would rank them:
                                          1. JOK
                                          2. Manti
                                          3. Jaylon

That is based on their impact to games, not their NFL careers/potential or athleticism or anything like that. JOK just absolutely destroyed offensive gameplans.

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                            For the recent guys, I would rank them:
                                            1. JOK
                                            2. Manti
                                            3. Jaylon

That is based on their impact to games, not their NFL careers/potential or athleticism or anything like that. JOK just absolutely destroyed offensive gameplans.
                                            This is a tough call moreso between Manti and Jaylon. Manti was actually used properly and should have won the Heisman. Jaylon was a freak of nature who was under utilized, so it's very hard to compare these two.

Comment

• You also have to add in the impact that each had on the program. Manti is head and shoulders above the other two in that department.

Plus Manti finished SECOND in the Heisman and he won six national awards. He has to be the top of this list.

Comment

• Jaylon wasn't a leader like Manti was. Jaylon was more gifted athletically in his prime for sure, but coaches wanted him to be more vocal and lead on the field and he never really turned the corner. Funny enough that's one of the reasons Joe Schmidt was out there lining guys up and QBing the defense. Love Jaylon, and as a pure athlete he was second to probably none, but I don't know if he had all the intangibles to say he was the best LB period. Personally I don't know who I'd put in that spot because there's been a lot of greats.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                                                  Jaylon wasn't a leader like Manti was. Jaylon was more gifted athletically in his prime for sure, but coaches wanted him to be more vocal and lead on the field and he never really turned the corner. Funny enough that's one of the reasons Joe Schmidt was out there lining guys up and QBing the defense. Love Jaylon, and as a pure athlete he was second to probably none, but I don't know if he had all the intangibles to say he was the best LB period. Personally I don't know who I'd put in that spot because there's been a lot of greats.
                                                  Screw it, I'm running a 4-3 with Manti in the middle, JOK and Jaylon on the edges.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDohio View Post
                                                    You also have to add in the impact that each had on the program. Manti is head and shoulders above the other two in that department.

Plus Manti finished SECOND in the Heisman and he won six national awards. He has to be the top of this list.
                                                    Exactly. Manti, no question. Not to mention, do we get the players from Hawaii if Manti doesn't come here? I couldn't name the last guy from Hawaii before him (Reggie Ho?). He helped establish a mini pipeline.

The fact that Weis got Manti to come here was the most impressive piece of recruiting I've ever seen. Nobody thought we had a chance. I think Weis or Polian flew to Hawaii to watch most of his games that year. His official visit was for Syracuse (I think) in which we lost and fans threw snowballs at players. If I remember, Manti was so cold that he watched the 2nd half inside somewhere. Yet, Weis somehow convinced him to sign with us over USC. Amazing job.
                                                    "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post

Exactly. Manti, no question. Not to mention, do we get the players from Hawaii if Manti doesn't come here? I couldn't name the last guy from Hawaii before him (Reggie Ho?). He helped establish a mini pipeline.

The fact that Weis got Manti to come here was the most impressive piece of recruiting I've ever seen. Nobody thought we had a chance. I think Weis or Polian flew to Hawaii to watch most of his games that year. His official visit was for Syracuse (I think) in which we lost and fans threw snowballs at players. If I remember, Manti was so cold that he watched the 2nd half inside somewhere. Yet, Weis somehow convinced him to sign with us over USC. Amazing job.
                                                      Polian did the leg work for that one. People want to dog him for special teams, but he provided a Herculean effort in Manti's recruitment.

Comment

• Jaylon was inactive for the game last night (performance related was the report). I think he only has one or two tackles in his stint with the Packers.

Comment

• Jaylon is one of my top 5 players in ND history. The guy has the the best attitude even when the chips aren’t falling his way. I have watched him play this year and he appears to have lingering issues with the injury, which is too bad. I firmly believe without that injury he goes on to be a HOF player in the NFL.

With that being said, it’s a positive story nonetheless because he was able to come back from something so horrific and carve out a decent career with the elite football players around the world. This is just the beginning for this young man, he will undoubtedly do great things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post
                                                            Jaylon is one of my top 5 players in ND history. The guy has the the best attitude even when the chips aren’t falling his way. I have watched him play this year and he appears to have lingering issues with the injury, which is too bad. I firmly believe without that injury he goes on to be a HOF player in the NFL.

With that being said, it’s a positive story nonetheless because he was able to come back from something so horrific and carve out a decent career with the elite football players around the world. This is just the beginning for this young man, he will undoubtedly do great things.
                                                            Very well said. Saying that I still blame and hate Taylor Decker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post

Fat f*#% .... was completely unnecessary too

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post

Scumbag. F*ck that guy.

Comment

• Fuck, fuck, fuck…Three times

Jaylon, we all wanted to be great but isn’t. He’s just not moving the same. This is where that ND EDU might help.

Comment

• I have a hard time believing there's a big drop off from last year unless he's playing injured or something. He was #2 in tackles in the entire NFL last year, there can't be this much of a drop off in less than a year unless there's something holding him back.

Comment

• Maybe he has done it for 4 years and realizes there is more to life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish8248 View Post

Fat f*#% .... was completely unnecessary too
                                                                        It was gratuitous
                                                                        a cheap shot
                                                                        and accomplished under Urban Meyer.

In other words the Taylor Decker move (which, in truth, robbed Jaylon of Millions of Dollars) was

PURE OHIO STATE BUCKEYE, as in Quintessence

Comment

• Originally posted by BrownerandFry View Post

It was gratuitous
                                                                          a cheap shot
                                                                          and accomplished under Urban Meyer.

In other words the Taylor Decker move (which, in truth, robbed Jaylon of Millions of Dollars) was

PURE OHIO STATE BUCKEYE, as in Quintessence
                                                                          Somebody ought to contact Shane Stant…. just sayin’.

Comment

• released by the Packers
                                                                            What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Doubt it will happen, but I wonder if the Cowboys would bring him back. They wanted to get Jabril Cox on the field more, and Jaylon was in the way. Now Cox is out for the year with a torn ACL. They could get him the rest of the year without being on the hook for the injury stipulation he had for next year.

Comment

• Damn that was quick. Has he really fallen that far off a cliff?

Comment

• Fuck Taylor Decker

Comment

• Originally posted by #1rish View Post
                                                                                    Damn that was quick. Has he really fallen that far off a cliff?
                                                                                    he was really really bad in the one game he played as a Packer tbf
                                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

he was really really bad in the one game he played as a Packer tbf
                                                                                      He actually played in two for them, and had ONE tackle. That's unheard of for a LB.

He was a healthy scratch against the Cardinals last Thursday, so the writing was on the wall.
                                                                                      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• I think Jaylon is a terrific person and it was remarkable how he came back from such a catastrophic injury. I do feel it is not just the injury that is hurting his play. Watching him in the NFL, he seemed to react slow to what he was seeing. He seemed to get caught up in traffic a lot at the line of scrimmage and his tackles were after the RB had already broken through for a gain. This is evident in his stats with only 20 TFL's in his career and a season high of 6 which doesn't usually fall in the top 200 during a season. Only 9 total sacks in his career too.

I hope he lands on his feet which I am hearing there is a need with the amount of injuries throughout the league. Regardless, I do feel he will be successful wherever life might lead him.

Comment

• This is why I won’t be upset when Kyle Hamilton never suits up again for us.

Comment

• Considering the extent of the injury, it’s a testament to his determination that he even got to the level where he could play in the NFL. Whether he plays another game or not he’s a success.

Comment

• Originally posted by #1rish View Post
                                                                                              Damn that was quick. Has he really fallen that far off a cliff?
                                                                                              He's gotta be injured or something. I just don't buy that you go from #2 in the NFL in tackles in 2020 to unusable.

Comment

• Get this dude on staff with Freeman in some capacity and let him start a career in coaching.
                                                                                                Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                                                                  Get this dude on staff with Freeman in some capacity and let him start a career in coaching.
                                                                                                  Not sure that is what he wants to do, what with his MEI fund and all. https://meicapitalfund.org/
                                                                                                  Hi!

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post

Jason Ching was the last player from Hawaii prior to Manti.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X