Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'13 IN ATH Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame Man & Graduate)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '13 IN ATH Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame Man & Graduate)

Outside Linebacker/Running Back
    Fort Wayne, IN - Bishop Luers HS

Ht: 6'3"
    Wt: 218
    40: 4.44
    GPA: 2.9

Rankings:
    24/7: Overall #5, #1 OLB
    Rivals: Overall #3, #1 OLB
    ESPN: Overall #9, #2 OLB
    Scout: Overall #6, #1 OLB
    Composite: Overall #4, #1 OLB

Offers:
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Florida
    Florida State
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Nebraska
    Notre Dame
    Ohio State
    Oklahoma
    Purdue
    Tennessee
    Texas A&M
    USC

Recruiter: Mike Elston

Video:

Senior Year

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BWnZCYGLHMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by DoverShores; 12-31-2012, 01:25 AM.

247 rates hims an early 5 star for the 2013 class. Considered an Ohio State lean because his brother goes there. We need to keep him in state.

Vitals: Outside linebacker, Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers, 6-3/215

Why heís a five-star: On the hoof, Smith has the kind of frame you want a young outside linebacker to have, he has length and plenty of room for added weight. Smith is also a terrific athlete that sheds blocks with ease, plays with great leverage and is a great striker. Though he likely projects at outside linebacker or possibly even defensive end, Smith also plays running back in high school. In his first game of 2011, Smith rushed for 222 yards three touchdowns.

Recruitment: Smith currently holds offers from the likes of Indiana, Tennessee, Purdue, Mississippi State and Ohio State. Although Smith wonít publicly admit it, itís hard to believe that Ohio State doesnít have the edge in his recruitment. Smithís brother, Rod is a redshirt freshman running back for the Buckeyes.
    Last edited by GoldenIsThyFame; 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Great article on Jaylon. Wants to visit ND in the fall, and spoke highly of the Irish (speaks very highly about OSU as well, where his brother attends). Looks like another early ND v. OSU battle for a top '13 prospect.

No question Smith is a five star
      This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

How is O$U in such good shape with these 2013 recruits? Marshall, Woodard, Smith... Is Fickell telling them the punishment is not going to minimal or is it just a function of hitting the trail early?

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
          How is O$U in good with so many 2013 recruits? Marshall, Woodward, Smith... Is Fickell telling them the punishment is not going to minimal?
          Almost certainly. The NCAA didn't level a lack of institutional control charge so I think they're hoping for a slap on the wrist and making that part of the sales pitch.

If the Buckeyes don't play like a top 20 team then I imagine there will be season long speculation on Fickell's replacement which will probably set them back with some 2013 guys who like the coaching staff.

Comment

^This hinges greatly on Jaylens recruitment.....if Tressel were still there, it'd be a slamdunk commitment for tO$U. My buddy at work knows him and said he's a very good kid. He gets the impression that he doesn't end up a Buckeye, but that's just his opinion. He did say Jaylen does have legitimate interest in the Irish. Hope his opinion is correct.
            Last edited by OCIrish; 08-25-2011, 10:58 AM. Reason: 2nd grade English

Comment

ND offered, per 24/7.
              This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

Why did I even bother checking to see if someone posted it, I should have known.

Comment

Could possibly be on campus for an unofficial this weekend.

Comment

Just another 5 star coming for the USC game.

Per Blue and gold.

Comment

Kids sophomore film is beastly. We need to continue to dominate the Fort Wayne area.

Comment

I just feel that if there is an ELITE prospect in Indiana that ND should be locking it up...IMO

Yes, they are national recruiting which is awesome but keep the elites close to home..home.
                        I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                          I just feel that if there is an ELITE prospect in Indiana that ND should be locking it up...IMO

Yes, they are national recruiting which is awesome but keep the elites close to home..home.
                          Agree entirely.

And Jesus Christ, this kid is unbelievably explosive off the edge.
                          Last edited by Riddickulous; 09-18-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

His brother goes to OSU. going to be tough to beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                              His brother goes to OSU. going to be tough to beat them.
                              If momma's undisoclosed pick is the Irish, may not be as tough as one thinks. Those moms can be pretty persuasive you know!

Comment

Originally posted by irish4ever View Post
                                If momma's undisoclosed pick is the Irish, may not be as tough as one thinks. Those moms can be pretty persuasive you know!
                                For those that didn't read the article, this is what irish4ever is referring to:

ďI want him to stay in Indiana,Ē Sophia said. ďI have a pick. I canít say but I do have a pick. But Jaylon knows that itís his decision. Iím going to try my best to persuade him to do what I want, but itís his life and his future. Heís always listened to mom before, and hopefully he does with this, but if not I canít be mad at him. I want him to go where he wants.Ē

Comment

For those that didn't read the article, this is what irish4ever is referring to:

all moms say that. But i doubt hes going to IU. ND OSU battle.

Comment

all moms say that. But i doubt hes going to IU. ND OSU battle.
                                    Lol she didn't say Indiana is her pick, she just wants him to stay in state. I think we know who her real choice is. ;)

Comment

We're good with moms.

Comment

I watch him play nearly every Friday night and he is the real deal. OSU could be tough competitor here, as Luers has recently sent some good athletes to OSU (most notable Mr. Basketball DeShaun Thomas a couple years ago). But, I think with his mother's pull and getting in with the current commits, he is ours to lose.

Fort Wayne has a huge Catholic community and while Luers (for whatever reason) isn't the pipeline to ND that Dwenger sometimes can be, there are still a ton of Irish fans in his ear all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                          We're good with moms.
                                          Chuckled.

Comment

Watched him play several times, and this kid is something else! He is very driven beyond just sports, and I think this bodes well for us. He is a fantastic LB, but man oh man if you are wanting a power back, this kid brings the heat. Very strong runner with effortless accelleration. I think if we really want him and put in the work, he is ours.

Comment

Originally posted by AdmiralBackhand View Post
                                              Chuckled.

Comment

I think we put him at running back, I'm thinking we get Mahone and B. Marshall this year so that would be a nasty 3 headed monster

Comment

There are going to be other running back prospects next year too. I think his skillset defensively is rare and fits our scheme perfectly.

Comment

Lol she didn't say Indiana is her pick, she just wants him to stay in state. I think we know who her real choice is. ;)
                                                    ****ing Ball State, stealing all our recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                      I think we put him at running back, I'm thinking we get Mahone and B. Marshall this year so that would be a nasty 3 headed monster
                                                      Have you watched his tape? His explosiveness off the edge is unreal. Gotta be an OLB.

Comment

Have you watched his tape? His explosiveness off the edge is unreal. Gotta be an OLB.
                                                        I agree, but as of right now we need more running backs. We are stacked at OLB. I guess if we get 2 running backs this year we could put him at OLB

Comment

Smith is a beast at OLB. We are getting better at LB depth but stacked would be a reach. Bama and LSU are stacked at LB. This kids block shedding and explosiveness are a perfect fit for the CAT backer. Are we going to recruit any ILB. Teo has one more year if he doesn't go pro. I think our ILB depth is weak and needs an upgrade athletically to go with the OLB depth.

Comment

If he comes that would be great and maybe we could get his brother to transfer from OSU. He would be a good fit at TB here. Just a thought! I know it's a pipe dream with his brother already red-shirting but Jaylon would be nice, very nice!

Comment

Per 24 7. Loved the way ND played mostly the line backers. Will be at the USC game and is really looking forward to it. IMO he was there to see ND and not Purdue. Kid is an absolute man child and would love to keep him in state.

Comment

Per 24 7. Loved the way ND played mostly the line backers. Will be at the USC game and is really looking forward to it. IMO he was there to see ND and not Purdue. Kid is an absolute man child and would love to keep him in state.
                                                                Kid's a force on the edge. Absolute animal.

Comment

ISD Tweeted this about an hour ago:

Another Big 2013 Visitor For The USC Game (Premium) Irish Sports Daily Forums
                                                                  I'm assuming this is Jaylon?

Comment

ISD Tweeted this about an hour ago:

I'm assuming this is Jaylon?
                                                                    Daniel. Jaylon has been coming for a while.

Comment

Daniel. Jaylon has been coming for a while.
                                                                      Ah.

Comment

#3 overall prospect in initial 24/7 class of '13 rankings.

Comment

Gawd I hope OSU gets hit with some sanctions. Though his mom wants him to stay in state they seem to be in the driver seat.

Comment

Per Wiltfong, Smith said Urban's hiring helps OSU's chances "tremendously."

Fack.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              get used to this scenario.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I was scared of a Meyer hire for this exact reason.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  While there is a looooooooooooooong way to go in the recruitment of Jaylon, how terrible would it be to lose in-state athletes like Perkins and Smith in back-to-back years? Indiana isn't exactly a talent-producing machine.

If we don't land Kiel, either...

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Five-star junior recruit targeting visit to Notre Dame

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Potentially next Saturday.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Next Saturday will be at Notre Dame. Only way we get this kid if his brother transfers.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          sucka.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Second time on campus this season, right? We'll see what happens. Would be a great get.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              "@JGPrepsPlus: Luers' Jaylon Smith wearing Michigan hat while watching girls hoops. The fb recruit said he picked up offers today from Michgan and Iowa."

"@JGPrepsPlus: Update: Jaylon Smith switches to Notre Dame hat. Can't keep up."

" @JGPrepsPlus: Looks like a pair of #NotreDame fb asst. coaches sitting behind Luers bench, probably keeping eye on Jaylon Smith"
                                                                                              Last edited by GoldenIsThyFame; 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                New version of the hat game?

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Why would coaches be sitting at a girls basketball game?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    GB...is his brother possibly transfering??

agreed...he's an urban lock if his brother stays.
                                                                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X