Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12 CA CB Marcus Rios (UCLA Verbal)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • '12 CA CB Marcus Rios (UCLA Verbal)

    Elk Grove, CA
    Cosumnes Oaks High School

    Ht: 6'0"
    Wt: 170 lbs

    Ratings:
    Rivals: #20 CB,
    Scout: , #17 CB,
    247: , #23 CB, , 90 rating
    ESPN: #24 CB, , 79 rating

    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AJX2Pddj7cI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    Offers
    Arizona State
    Nebraska
    UCLA
    Boise State (former commit)

    Arizona
    Colorado
    Fresno State
    Nevada
    UNLV
    Utah
    Oregon State
    Washington
    Washington State

    Heavy Interest
    Notre Dame
    Oregon
    Last edited by IrishLax; 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM.

  • #2
    Friends with Tee Shephard. Good PAC12 offer list and former Boise State commit but re-opened his recruitment after he continued to gain more and more offers. Reached out to ND's staff. Slow 40 time (generous at 4.6) but a tough physical player with some good fluidity. Consensus ~#20 CB and low 4.

    ND is returning interest and wants to evaluate him more. Not much video out there on him right now that I can find. Linked above are some junior highlights.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll definitely take him as our last DB

      Comment


      • #4
        Interesting, first I heard of ND taking interest. Can't go wrong recruiting Cali

        Comment


        • #5
          He's a fast 4.6 and decent tackler. Six feet and still growing. Alot to like about that video.
          One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than a hundred teaching it.
          Knute Rockne

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PatsandBostonfan1975 View Post
            He's a fast 4.6 and decent tackler. Six feet and still growing. Alot to like about that video.
            It's funny because I looked at it and said he looked 4.6ish... maybe a tad slower. And thought he was a smidge under 6' because ESPN had him listed at 5'11". He's still growing you say?

            Also, biggest hurdle is going to be that he's graduating early and so that compresses the timetable significantly for ND.

            And one final note, from reports he'd played extremely well at Gridiron Kings. Some quotes:

            Boise State commit Marcus Rios had a unequivocally good day and grabbed a fantastic interception off of a deflection contra the Southeast team.
            Cosumnes Oaks HS CB Marcus Rios (Elk Grove, CA) was in Orlando last weekend for The Gridiron Kings event & to say he performed well would be an understatement. The talented CB hauled in three INTs & was named a "top performer" by numerous media outlets at the event.
            To me it seems like most evaluations say he's a very good football player but lacks elite athleticism.

            Comment


            • #7
              Pretty good offer list. Quality tape. Doesn't look slow or anything. Willing tackler, which means he has some versatility in terms of where you can line him up in the back. Recruiting agencies seem to have reached a positive consensus on him. I don't see what's not to like.

              Comment


              • #8
                This could turn out well

                Committed to Boise in September

                Comment


                • #9
                  He looks like a very fundamentally sound kid. A sure tackler as well.
                  Originally posted by koonja
                  I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sounds like a Robert Blanton type, except maybe a bit shorter. And we all know how that is turning out! :)

                    Sign him up!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I like.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by magogian View Post
                        Sounds like a Robert Blanton type, except maybe a bit shorter. And we all know how that is turning out! :)

                        Sign him up!
                        Exactly what I thought. I can definitely picture him being the final piece of our DB recruiting.
                        "im just letting you know. my squad gonna be great no matter what is being said." -Lou Nix III

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          he has got to be a legit 4.6 or the staff wouldn't be interested in him(see turner recruitment).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Great pickup if we got him....40 times are overrated....that kickoff return showed he has plenty of "game speed". Blanton is a good comparison!
                            http://irishtp.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              hmmm this kid friend requested me out of the blue about a month ago on fb and we have chatted a few times....see if i can get any info
                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                According to ISD:

                                4.43 in the 40-yard dash, 10.7 in the 100 and 22.2 in the 200
                                2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by The Polish Irishman View Post
                                  According to ISD:
                                  That is some speed, if laser timed.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    They'd tell you if it was laser timed, but 4.43 is fast period. Marcus is a sprinter, so the time sounds possible.

                                    As far as an opinion on hand timing for skilled positions generally:
                                    - Sub 4.4 is elite speed, but I almost assume that kids getting those times are not true football players, until proven otherwise (Darby).
                                    - 4.40-4.49 is extremely fast, and the range most of the elite football players are in (Tate, Attkinsons).
                                    - 4.5-4.59 is fast enough for BCS, if they are good (Floyd, Greenberry).
                                    - 4.6 is average, and they better have some elite skills, size, or both (Hughes).

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Plan B or C?

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        this is part of a convo between me and Marcus still evaluating on both sides . I have next week off for break an The coach's an I can talk more then . A visit would be awesome if we get to that stage...he also said he will update after he speaks w/ the coaches some more..he is graduating in less than 30 days
                                        Last edited by PANDFAN; 11-17-2011, 10:40 AM.
                                        EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Elk Grove is the same town that Arik Armstead is from, fwiw.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Interesting I read on ESPN's profile of him that he ran a 4.71 at a combine for them, probably under armour. His film IMO does not show 4.7 speed its more of what Polish Irishman just said.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Originally posted by hrc08 View Post
                                              Elk Grove is the same town that Arik Armstead is from, fwiw.
                                              Anybody know if they are friends? Could be a nice package deal.
                                              Originally posted by koonja
                                              I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                That tells you where Boise still is in the world that this kid got more interest and decommitted for bigger fish.

                                                I laugh at you, Boise State.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  and i laugh at them for missing that field goal after getting such a homer pass interference call on 4th down.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Originally posted by KEGGLER719
                                                    Kind of like what Perkins did with us. Still laughing?
                                                    Not really, he couldn't get in.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Honestly I ran A 4.7 in highschool with a like a 18 inch vertical 40 times dont mean anything. I saw the video hes quick.
                                                      One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than a hundred teaching it.
                                                      Knute Rockne

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Originally posted by PatsandBostonfan1975 View Post
                                                        Honestly I ran A 4.7 in highschool with a like a 18 inch vertical 40 times dont mean anything. I saw the video hes quick.
                                                        Did you happen to get a D1 scholarship and make some noise in the college football world after that?

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Originally posted by kuehnja View Post
                                                          Did you happen to get a D1 scholarship and make some noise in the college football world after that?
                                                          No joined the army and drank alot
                                                          One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than a hundred teaching it.
                                                          Knute Rockne

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            Originally posted by PatsandBostonfan1975 View Post
                                                            No joined the army and drank alot
                                                            Thanks for serving.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              this could be the type of guy we've been guessing we'll land all along. guy off the radar and a late offer and boom commits to fill the last spot. the fact he's planning on early enrolling is enticing to me and early playing time could be a selling point in the end.
                                                              Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Originally posted by KEGGLER719
                                                                Kind of like what Perkins did with us. Still laughing?
                                                                Yes, actually. Perkins wasn't a case of him getting interest from bigger schools.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                                  this could be the type of guy we've been guessing we'll land all along. guy off the radar and a late offer and boom commits to fill the last spot. the fact he's planning on early enrolling is enticing to me and early playing time could be a selling point in the end.
                                                                  talk right now has just started w/ ND w/in past 2 weeks....so him being an EE could actually hurt us...UCLA seems to be the team to beat right now....
                                                                  EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                    talk right now has just started w/ ND w/in past 2 weeks....so him being an EE could actually hurt us...UCLA seems to be the team to beat right now....
                                                                    i hear what you're saying...we may have gotten involved too late...unless tee takes over the recruiting.
                                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      18 inch vertical isnt crap.
                                                                      Prehistoric

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                        18 inch vertical isnt crap.
                                                                        I know thats why 40 times dont mean anything. I was goofy and akward but could be fast in a straight line. I don't put alot of stock in stats like that . At 17 I could bench press 300 and run fast my claim to fame in highschool football I knocked two of my teammates out hitting wrong person . Hall of shame stuff there but if you put name next to 4.7 and bench press I might look decent right
                                                                        One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than a hundred teaching it.
                                                                        Knute Rockne

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                          talk right now has just started w/ ND w/in past 2 weeks....so him being an EE could actually hurt us...UCLA seems to be the team to beat right now....
                                                                          Not so fast. He reached out to ND to let them know he was interested. Doesn't sound like he has a favorite right now. If ND offers, and he wants to EE - gotta think he jumps on it.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Originally posted by TerryTate View Post
                                                                            Not so fast. He reached out to ND to let them know he was interested. Doesn't sound like he has a favorite right now. If ND offers, and he wants to EE - gotta think he jumps on it.
                                                                            let you know when he hears back from the coaches...he has been in contact w/ denbrock but needs to hear back once he talked w. BK
                                                                            EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              We are getting Poole, so no need to worry.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                                                We are getting Poole, so no need to worry.
                                                                                lol....check the espn article
                                                                                EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                                  18 inch vertical isnt crap.
                                                                                  For an athlete that will occasionally need to depend jump balls, an 18'' vert is pretty bad.

                                                                                  40+ = freak
                                                                                  30-40 = elite
                                                                                  25-30= good
                                                                                  20-25= passable
                                                                                  <20 = bad

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xeszsFJOw14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

                                                                                    Seems like a nice kid.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                                      lol....check the espn article
                                                                                      This article?
                                                                                      GatorNation: Florida Gators eyeing pass rushers to fill out 2012 class - ESPN

                                                                                      If this is the article you are talking about, I don't see how this count Poole out for ND.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        Comments from his coach:
                                                                                        "He's an electric and explosive kid,” Gomes told Michael Schaefer of Huskers Illustrated (247Sports Nebraska site). “He’s a prototypical corner, great speed, great hands, good closing speed and competes. He’s very soft spoke. He’s a quiet leader. He’s not flashy and not showboating. He’s everything you want a kid to be. He’s very mature for his age.”
                                                                                        Also Sapp teased last night that he talked to another 2012 DB that has interest in ND that he will reveal in this evenings Tunnel Vision recruiting update.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                                                                          For an athlete that will occasionally need to depend jump balls, an 18'' vert is pretty bad.

                                                                                          40+ = freak
                                                                                          30-40 = elite
                                                                                          25-30= good
                                                                                          20-25= passable
                                                                                          <20 = bad
                                                                                          whiskey i forgot to mention this....on fb a while ago when perkins decomitted he and i had chatted back and fourth...i told him about the ND degree and what it is worth and also used one of the links you had posted....anyways...marcus then contacts me following this and this is how he ended up expressing interest in ND and even put this link(what's your degree worth)) on his fb page
                                                                                          EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                                            whiskey i forgot to mention this....on fb a while ago when perkins decomitted he and i had chatted back and fourth...i told him about the ND degree and what it is worth and also used one of the links you had posted....anyways...marcus then contacts me following this and this is how he ended up expressing interest in ND and even put this link(what's your degree worth)) on his fb page
                                                                                            You stud! Thanks for spreading the word.

                                                                                            I'm torn over whether to direct recruits to the Businessweek ranking (which I think is what you shared) or my spreadsheet. The former has a more professional format, and it's clearly from a neutral unbiased party using reliable data, so it might be more credible. On the other hand, my spreadsheet is tailored specifically to the FBS and football GSR, so it's probably easier for prospective recruits to understand (assuming they accept it as credible.)

                                                                                            I'll let you decide which you think is more persuasive. Here's my 30-year Return on Investment Ranking for Football Players.
                                                                                            Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 11-17-2011, 03:40 PM.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                                                                              You stud! Thanks for spreading the word.

                                                                                              I'm torn over whether to direct recruits to the Businessweek ranking (which I think is what you shared) or my spreadsheet. The former has a more professional format, and it's clearly from a neutral unbiased party using reliable data, so it might be more credible. On the other hand, my spreadsheet is tailored specifically to the FBS and football GSR, so it's probably easier for prospective recruits to understand (assuming they accept it as credible.)

                                                                                              I'll let you decide which you think is more persuasive. Here's my 30-year Return on Investment Ranking for Football Players.
                                                                                              i was going to use the spreadsheet but felt buisness week ranking would be more "official" this kid is bright/respectful and regardless of where he ends up i will be rooting for!
                                                                                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                PANDFAN, you do a lot of talking to recruits it seems. lol

                                                                                                Could we have possibly set in motion a commitment using Whiskey's table? lmao Amazing to think about.
                                                                                                "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                                                  PANDFAN, you do a lot of talking to recruits it seems. lol

                                                                                                  Could we have possibly set in motion a commitment using Whiskey's table? lmao Amazing to think about.
                                                                                                  i did w/ perkins....wrote: wherever is going to give you the opportunity for a great education, chance to play the position you want and not treat you like pawn in their game but rather a student-athlete...chances are NFL will not be a career(going on stats, not saying you specifically can't ) and if so...i think it is currently a 4 year plan right now...best of luck where ever you decide...was hoping for you to be Irish!

                                                                                                  he responded :David Perkins Well spoken coach :) thank you!

                                                                                                  i then reply: no prob man! you are in a postion millions of people(especially myself) only dream of...you are getting a free education, chance to play DIV I football at almost anywhere you want...don't waste this opportunity of a life time..my only other words of advice is that you take a look at indisputable stats that won't lie! What's Your College Degree Worth? - Businessweek


                                                                                                  next thing i get is a friend request from marcus and he then shares on his fb status
                                                                                                  Marcus Rios
                                                                                                  Get It !?
                                                                                                  What's Your College Degree Worth? - Businessweek
                                                                                                  Businessweek - Business News, Stock Market & Financial Advice
                                                                                                  EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                                                                    i did w/ perkins....wrote: wherever is going to give you the opportunity for a great education, chance to play the position you want and not treat you like pawn in their game but rather a student-athlete...chances are NFL will not be a career(going on stats, not saying you specifically can't ) and if so...i think it is currently a 4 year plan right now...best of luck where ever you decide...was hoping for you to be Irish!

                                                                                                    he responded :David Perkins Well spoken coach :) thank you!

                                                                                                    i then reply: no prob man! you are in a postion millions of people(especially myself) only dream of...you are getting a free education, chance to play DIV I football at almost anywhere you want...don't waste this opportunity of a life time..my only other words of advice is that you take a look at indisputable stats that won't lie! What's Your College Degree Worth? - Businessweek


                                                                                                    next thing i get is a friend request from marcus and he then shares on his fb status
                                                                                                    Marcus Rios
                                                                                                    Get It !?
                                                                                                    What's Your College Degree Worth? - Businessweek
                                                                                                    Businessweek - Business News, Stock Market & Financial Advice
                                                                                                    Might want to tell Rios that with specifically with football players we move up even more on that list.
                                                                                                    "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X