Interest
    UCLA
    Georgia Tech
    Maryland
    North Carolina
    South Florida
    Central Florida

Video

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DjM_Otx4iE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DjM_Otx4iE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xwftpr4Vb8g?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xwftpr4Vb8g?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
    Last edited by beryirish; 11-12-2011, 07:56 AM.
    I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Schyler Miles adds offer

By Preston Jackson August 28, 2011 2:42 pm

RECUITING
    Update on recruiting for Schyler Miles, Berkeley Prep, ILB. Currently, Miles is ranked as the #2 inside LB in the Hillsborough/Pinellas area according to latest BCP player rankings. The 2012 prospect currently holds offers from Ball State, Bowling Green, Ohio, West Virginia, NC state, Iowa State and the Citadel. Miles recently picked up a verbal offer from Cincinatti. The Bearcats have been shopping hard in the Tampa Bay area recently. Reeling in Plant City 2012 QB not too long ago when he verbal committed to the Bearcats before the 2011 season. Miles says he will know more this week about the Cincinnati offers and other schools who are very interested. He is currently in the process of scheduling an official visit to West Virginia.

Comment

Alford and BK talked with him while visiting Nelson yesterday. Want him to come to the banquet after the season. Said if he keeps his play up he could expect an offer in December.

We like him as a FB and LB.

Nelson likes this.
      Last edited by GoldenIsThyFame; 10-14-2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
        Alford and BK talked with him while visiting Nelson yesterday. Want him to come to the banquet after the season. Said if he keeps his play up he could expect an offer in December.

We like him as a FB and LB.

Nelson likes this.
        Fullback? Wow....leading the way for Mahone and Marshall? I didn't know CK would have a FB in his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
          Fullback? Wow....leading the way for Mahone and Marshall? I didn't know CK would have a FB in his offense.
          I am guessing it would be similar to Ragone's role early in the season.

Comment

We all know BK has the ability to develop under the radar players and Schyler has the prototypical size for an LB. Really has a nose for the ball as well. I really wouldn't mind an offer if it puts us over the hump for Nelson.
            "im just letting you know. my squad gonna be great no matter what is being said." -Lou Nix III

Comment

I love how BK has adapted his offense a bit. I loved hiring him and wanted him from the start but was always a bit worried we would be throwing the ball 45 times a game and running maybe 20. Definitely has not be that way and he has added a defense as well.

Ok, love rant over.

Comment

Seems smart. Knows to read the guard.

He also seems to have a large upper body in comparison with his lower body.
                "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Notre Dame Football Recruiting - IrishSportsDaily.com

"Irish Interested In Agholor Teammate"

Comment

This kind of reminds me of the Te'o/Toma situation...

Hope we land both of these young men, go Irish!
                    "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

Comment

Originally posted by NDinFL View Post
                      This kind of reminds me of the Te'o/Toma situation...

Hope we land both of these young men, go Irish!
                      Georgia also offered some unranked, unrated player a scholarship last year in an attempt to land Isaiah Crowell, which they did.

Comment

Here's a concern- what if we do offer and we get him and not Nelson?

Comment

Originally posted by Rambler09 View Post
                          Kelly says, "We thought you were Cyler Miles, sorry."

Comment

Ha i'll bet you anything that will not happen.

Comment

We wouldn't offer him unless we would take him without Nelson anyways.
                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                We wouldn't offer him unless we would take him without Nelson anyways.
                                Yeah I'm sure it's a "you want to commit nelson?...Ok here is a schollie Schyler...let's go"

Comment

Florida is starting to show interest and he will visit there this weekend with Nelson. Also will be visiting ND the weekend of our banquet. Everyone start praying that he brings Nelson with him. Per JAke brown.

Comment

Interesting, I wonder if Perkins Decommitting will allow us to have scholarships to bring in both agoholor and Myles
                                    God Country Notre Dame
                                    http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                                      Interesting, I wonder if Perkins Decommitting will allow us to have scholarships to bring in both agoholor and Myles
                                      Personally, I'm not a fan of offering a kid a scholarship in the hopes that his teammate will come along with, and I don't think our staff would do that. Still, Perkins decommitting can't hurt Schyler's chances of getting an ND offer.

Comment

Originally posted by kuehnja View Post
                                        Personally, I'm not a fan of offering a kid a scholarship in the hopes that his teammate will come along with, and I don't think our staff would do that. Still, Perkins decommitting can't hurt Schyler's chances of getting an ND offer.
                                        Wasn't that the story behind Robby Toma? Now, I am a big fan of Toma and he is a solid slot receiver with good hands but wasn't that part of a reason to lure Te'o?

Comment

Also luke massa got a scholarship so we could bring in Matt James (God Bless him) but it happens all the time Luke Schmidt was friends with Troy Niklas now I know he did not get a scholarship but he was brought onto the team
                                          God Country Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
                                            Wasn't that the story behind Robby Toma? Now, I am a big fan of Toma and he is a solid slot receiver with good hands but wasn't that part of a reason to lure Te'o?
                                            That staff was not this staff. I guess I shouldn't say they wouldn't do that, but what if (hypothetically) you offer an absolute stud and also his friend who will never amount to anything in order to lure the stud.... The stud goes elsewhere, the nobody accepts your scholarship. The staff knows more about this than I do, but that scenario would scare me.

By no means is this example for Schyler because from his highlight tape I think he can play D1 ball.
                                            Last edited by kuehnja; 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                                              Also luke massa got a scholarship so we could bring in Matt James (God Bless him) but it happens all the time Luke Schmidt was friends with Troy Niklas now I know he did not get a scholarship but he was brought onto the team
                                              Luke Schmidt was part of the 2006 class. He is from India not California. Kid did receive a scholarship and was a 4* RB/FB. Career got derailed I believe to concussions.
                                              Or maybe you are talking about Joe Schmidt ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                Luke Schmidt was part of the 2006 class. He is from India not California. Kid did receive a scholarship and was a 4* RB/FB. Career got derailed I believe to concussions.
                                                yep caught my mistake but yea him and troy were pretty good friends if I remember correctly
                                                God Country Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Grahambo View Post
                                                  The staff (Weis staff) said they had interest in Toma and offered him off his own abilities. I'm sure it had a little to do with it, but I don't think it was the whole reason.

If Schyler got an offer, I think it would be a similar thing, but I don't think he will get a scholarship unless he deserves it.

Comment

That staff was not this staff. I guess I shouldn't say they wouldn't do that, but what if (hypothetically) you offer an absolute stud and also his friend who will never amount to anything in order to lure the stud.... The stud goes elsewhere, the nobody accepts your scholarship. The staff knows more about this than I do, but that scenario would scare me.

By no means is this example for Schyler because from his highlight tape I think he can play D1 ball.
                                                    I see your point. I believe this staff would do it ONLY if they thought they could turn that "nobody" into an actual gamer. So many 3* recruits turn into studs so I trust them.

I think Schyler would be a great addition.

Comment

The staff (Weis staff) said they had interest in Toma and offered him off his own abilities. I'm sure it had a little to do with it, but I don't think it was the whole reason.

If Schyler got an offer, I think it would be a similar thing, but I don't think he will get a scholarship unless he deserves it.
                                                      While that may be true, that's what it seemed like at first glance. Perception sometimes overrules everything, which is sad. Toma is a real solid addition and I am glad we have him. He is one of those, just gets the job done type of guys at whatever cost.

I never believed he was solely offered to get Te'o, just stating that as an example.

Comment

Woah, who got to fly half way across the world to recruit him then?

I wouldn't mind having Miles and Agholor both come. I think both would do well here.

Comment

Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                          Woah, who got to fly half way across the world to recruit him then?

I wouldn't mind having Miles and Agholor both come. I think both would do well here.
                                                          LMAO oooopppps. I need to take my own advice and proof read.

Comment

To me, Agholor is worth 2 scholarships. Who is to say that the staff doesn't like Miles anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by aubeirish View Post
                                                              To me, Agholor is worth 2 scholarships. Who is to say that the staff doesn't like Miles anyways...
                                                              They might like him, but integrity says you don't offer a kid you don't think is worth a scholarship in his own right.

Comment

No Access

No access
                                                                Nothing new really. Just says that if we offer Myles it could possibly increase our chances of landing him.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                                                                  Nothing new really. Just says that if we offer Myles it could possibly increase our chances of landing him.
                                                                  What are we waiting for then? Offer the kid!

Comment

Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                                                                    Determining if Schyler actually deserves a scholarship on his own merit.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
                                                                      BK has to take into consideration if Miles was offered and commits, can he help us better than someone else who may fill that spot. With or without Nelson. I like him personally. Not up to me however.
                                                                      When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

Give the kid a scholarship if it helps with Nelson, maybe he'll actually want to come to a school that offers an education and nudge Nelson in our direction.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianIrish View Post
                                                                          Give the kid a scholarship if it helps with Nelson, maybe he'll actually want to come to a school that offers an education and nudge Nelson in our direction.
                                                                          The Nick Sabans of the world can afford to do that. He'd offer Myles and then push him out later if (1) Agholor doesn't commit; and (2) Myles doesn't perform.

ND honors its scholarships for four years, so we can't afford to take fliers on marginal recruits.

Not saying that Myles is a marginal recruit, but as others have mentioned, the staff needs to make sure that he will at least provide quality depth before offering him.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Weis do the exact same thing with Te'o/Toma?

Either way, only way the coaching staff offers Schyler is if they are almost positive that lands Agholor.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Carlyle Javar Holiday View Post
                                                                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Weis do the exact same thing with Te'o/Toma?

Either way, only way the coaching staff offers Schyler is if they are almost positive that lands Agholor.
                                                                              The Weis staff swore up and and down that Toma deserved the scholarship and it wasn't just to land Te'o. I believe that. Toma got playing time his first year, didn't he?

Comment

• #40
                                                                                The Weis staff swore up and and down that Toma deserved the scholarship and it wasn't just to land Te'o. I believe that. Toma got playing time his first year, didn't he?
                                                                                I agree that they felt he was good enough for a scholly, but I don't think him playing as a freshmen is representative of how the former staff thought of him as a player. ND honors all scholarships for our guys, so redshirting a questionable player is only going to keep his spot on the roster for an additional year. Might as well get them in on special teams and give them a chance to compete and get better. Just my thoughts.
                                                                                Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                                  I agree that they felt he was good enough for a scholly, but I don't think him playing as a freshmen is representative of how the former staff thought of him as a player. ND honors all scholarships for our guys, so redshirting a questionable player is only going to keep his spot on the roster for an additional year. Might as well get them in on special teams and give them a chance to compete and get better. Just my thoughts.
                                                                                  He did more than just special teams his freshman year though.

Or at least that's how I remember it...

Comment

• #42

You are correct

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Toma played better than Shaq and Walker.

They should only offer Miles if he deserves it, but that does not mean he has to be the "most" deserving. If he is borderline, they should pull the trigger.

Comment

• #44

I know, that wasn't what I was getting at though. What I meant was that if a recruit is marginal or a "project", then I think it is to a coach's advantage to play him early (however you have to do it). If you don't, you might be extending a marginal player's roster spot for an additional year.

ND honors scholarships as 4 year contracts. I think Weis' thought process was to throw Toma in with the sharks, if he swims, then great. Luckily for Toma, he swam. He showed enough to get on the field for an opportunity, and then took advantage of that opportunity.

Either way, you aren't going to find out if the kid can play if he doesn't get on the field. If you preserve a marginal prospects redshirt, and he doesn't pan out the following season, then you are going to have to honor a bad scholly for an additional 3 years instead of 2. That's why I don't think that early playing time is necessarily representative of a player's talent. If that was always the case, why would Kelly have redshirted Golson? True freshman playing time isn't just about the talent level of a prospect.
                                                                                        Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                                          I know, that wasn't what I was getting at though. What I meant was that if a recruit is marginal or a "project", then I think it is to a coach's advantage to play him early (however you have to do it). If you don't, you might be extending a marginal player's roster spot for an additional year.

ND honors scholarships as 4 year contracts. I think Weis' thought process was to throw Toma in with the sharks, if he swims, then great. Luckily for Toma, he swam. He showed enough to get on the field for an opportunity, and then took advantage of that opportunity.

Either way, you aren't going to find out if the kid can play if he doesn't get on the field. If you preserve a marginal prospects redshirt, and he doesn't pan out the following season, then you are going to have to honor a bad scholly for an additional 3 years instead of 2. That's why I don't think that early playing time is necessarily representative of a player's talent. If that was always the case, why would Kelly have redshirted Golson? True freshman playing time isn't just about the talent level of a prospect.
                                                                                          Wrong...A player doesn't have to get invited for a 5th year...see Emeka Nwankwo, Steve Paskorz, Matt Romine.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Wrong...A player doesn't have to get invited for a 5th year...see Emeka Nwankwo, Steve Paskorz, Matt Romine.
                                                                                            This year will add some names to this list too, no?
                                                                                            Prehistoric

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                                              This year will add some names to this list too, no?
                                                                                              Most definitely.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Expecting an in home visit from Alford next week. Likely to be a visitor for the banquet per II.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I want a fullback..oh and 4-3 defense while we are at it

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by INLaw View Post
                                                                                                    I want a fullback..oh and 4-3 defense while we are at it
                                                                                                    ummm...... what?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X