Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12 NC DE Romeo Okwara (Notre Dame Signed LOI)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12 NC DE Romeo Okwara (Notre Dame Signed LOI)

Weakside DE (ND OLB)
    Charlotte, NC Ardrey Kell

Ht: 6-4
    Wt: 235
    40: 4.7
    GPA: 3.5
    Test:
    Bench: 330
    Squat: 605

STATS
    '11: 76 Tackles, 27 TFLs, 14 Sacks, 18 QBHs, 3 PBUs, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 Blocked FG
    '10: 70 Tackles, 9 Sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 Blocked FG

RANKINGS
    Rivals: #36 WDE, Rating 5.7
    Scout: #61 DE
    ESPN: #94 DE, Grade 77
    247: , NR WDE, Rating 90

OFFERS
    Notre Dame (OV 1/20/12)
    Clemson
    Duke
    Georgia Tech
    Illinois
    Louisville
    Maryland
    Miami
    Minnesota
    North Carolina
    North Carolina St
    Pittsburgh
    South Florida
    Vanderbilt
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest
    West Virginia

ND RECRUITER: Mike Elston

DECISION: 7/9/11 Notre Dame Verbal
    Last edited by BGIF; 01-05-2012, 07:19 PM. Reason: Rivals down 3 slots, Scout UP 1 slot, ESPN down 3 slots

The first video is listed as 3:21 in length but has no video after about 2:50. This video also doesn't identify him with an arrow or highlight. He's #33 usually on the left side with his hand on the ground. The second video identifies him with an arrow.

1. Romeo Okwara - 6'5 225 DE 2010 Jr. Highlight #33 - Ardrey Kell High School

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZ4fuhL-ojw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZ4fuhL-ojw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

2. Romeo Okwara (Football Recruiting Video)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OAHcT6WlPhc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OAHcT6WlPhc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
    Last edited by BGIF; 06-02-2011, 02:04 AM.

Comment

ill take another shembo

Comment

Despite a bunch of regional offers, Okwara's is under most of the recruiting services radar.

ESPN has no evaluation or schools listed

Scout has a profile with one article and they haven't even opened Schools of Interest.

247 gives him a 90 which is the bottom of their 4 Star range.

Rivals lists measureables, offers, and stats.

Comment

With a name like that, Notre Dame needs this guy just so I can say it for the next four years.

Comment

Interesting Measurables

'12 NC DE Romeo Okwara (Offer)
            Ht: 6-4
            Wt: 230
            40: 4.7
            Bench: 330
            Squate: 605
            ----------------------------------

'11 GA DE Stephon Tuitt (Signed Notre Dame LOI)
            Ht: 6-5
            Wt: 260
            40: 4.8
            Bench: 325
            Squat: 425

'11 FL DE Aaron Lynch (Signed Notre Dame LOI-EE)
            Ht: 6-6
            Wt: 271
            40: 4.66
            Bench: 315
            Squat: 425

Keep in mind Okwara's numbers are for a HS Jr. while Tuitt and Lynch were a year older. I'm not attempting to contrast their football skills, just noting the measureables listed in profiles.

I believe according to Mama Lynch that Aaron gained 30 or 40 pounds after this Senior season. If this kid has or can develop that "first step", wow. He's close to Div 1 OLB size now and could grow into a DE or DT.

I hope he makes some camps to see what he's got running against the big boys.

Comment

He goes to the same school as Shembo right?

If this is the guy i am thinking of, he said that ND's offer vaulted them to the top

Comment

Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
                He goes to the same school as Shembo right?

If this is the guy i am thinking of, he said that ND's offer vaulted them to the top
                Same HS, Ardry Kell.

I'll move ND to the top of his offer list.

Comment

An elite squat for a 300 lb man is 570. I wonder about typo on that number of 605. If true, the guy is essentially immovable at the first collision. And, if he gets under you = decleater. If you need your car placed back rightside up, he's your guy. Will carry all the girl cheerleaders in a new halftime entertainment display [he might like that one almost as much as the decleating].

p.s. Tuitt is only trying to get to 580 right now at the end of his May workouts goals. [and may well have not made that rare air].
                  Last edited by Old Man Mike; 06-02-2011, 06:32 AM. Reason: add

Comment

I feel bad for the right tackle on the green team. He made the highlight reel twice, and at the :49 sec mark he got blasted.

Comment

This kids lower body must be huge if he is squatting near 200lbs more than Tuitt and Lynch!

ISD Premium

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...all-recruiting

Up to 16-17 offers. Likes the ND offer.
                      Likes their academics and the fact that they've been successful at football for awhile, especially last year. (I'm guessing he's talking about tradition).
                      Plays fast and angry.
                      Plans to take his time with recruiting and do his due diligence.
                      Wants to take a few visits before he starts to trim down the list.
                      Criteria for school: Will have to be an academic school. A place where he can fit in. A place where he could potentially get some EPT.
                      Coaches Elston and Diaco came by a couple weeks ago to visit.
                      Would like to visit in the summer but nothing concrete.
                      I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

I'm with OMM. Very skeptical of his listed squat max, given his current weight and his under-the-radar status.

605 is herculean.

Comment

Just to speak on ridiculous squat numbers, I actually go to school with a guy who will probably end up a D1 fullback due to his size.

He's maybe 5' 10". Tips the scales probably around 250-260. He says he's been timed in the 4.5s (non-electronic, I'm sure, but he did have his times taken at D1 camps so who knows) my personal guess would be 4.7 something electronic though.

He max benches pretty well over 300, but what's freaky is his max squat that's well over 600. He's about to become our school's first 1000-pound club member. Saying something considering Ryan Kerrigan went there.

Anyways, there's bound to be other freakish squat kids out there. His numbers may be legit.
                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                            Just to speak on ridiculous squat numbers, I actually go to school with a guy who will probably end up a D1 fullback due to his size.

He's maybe 5' 10". Tips the scales probably around 250-260. He says he's been timed in the 4.5s (non-electronic, I'm sure, but he did have his times taken at D1 camps so who knows) my personal guess would be 4.7 something electronic though.

He max benches pretty well over 300, but what's freaky is his max squat that's well over 600. He's about to become our school's first 1000-pound club member. Saying something considering Ryan Kerrigan went there.

Anyways, there's bound to be other freakish squat kids out there. His numbers may be legit.
                            1000 pound clubs are generally squat,bench, and clean all added up in my experience...no huge feat for probably nearly every member of the Irish squad who doesn't play WR or DB...
                            but for anyone to touch 1000 without counting the clean....is INSANITY.

If it's not a typo we need to get this one!
                            We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

One of my weightlifting brothers was in town today. I asked him about the 600 lb squats. He said sure, there are a few high school athletes who have been training for several years who get to that level, so it's not impossible at all. But he also warned that many people mark successful squat numbers but in fact have not actually completed the lift properly [easiest way to say it is they haven't taken the weight all the way down]. He said that he'd like to see the technique used before going ga-ga.

On the other hand, just to tell an "amusing" story: there was a weight-lifter who showed up at a workout with a lot of athletes and football players, who didn't know him. One smart-*** asked him what he squatted. He said "400". The guy laughed and said 400 lbs was nothing. The lifter apologized: I was talking about kilos.

That ended the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlyingAlamo View Post
                                1000 pound clubs are generally squat,bench, and clean all added up in my experience...no huge feat for probably nearly every member of the Irish squad who doesn't play WR or DB...
                                but for anyone to touch 1000 without counting the clean....is INSANITY.

If it's not a typo we need to get this one!
                                lol Yea, it's just bench and squat at our school.
                                "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

lol Yea, it's just bench and squat at our school.
                                  BADASS
                                  haha
                                  That's a super exclusive club

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlyingAlamo View Post
                                    BADASS
                                    haha
                                    That's a super exclusive club
                                    Indeed. He's the second ever 900-pound club member. If coaches ever decided to recruit a FB, I think I'd be able to help recruit him. ;) haha I should be coaching him up this summer and possibly this fall.

Comment

Indeed. He's the second ever 900-pound club member. If coaches ever decided to recruit a FB, I think I'd be able to help recruit him. ;) haha I should be coaching him up this summer and possibly this fall.
                                      FULLBACK! DAS BRUTALZ!

I'd like to see some of that.

Comment

ISDUpdate Irish Sports Daily
                                        NC DE Romeo Okwara currently at ND on unofficial visit. Has offers from ND, Clemson, Duke, GT, MIA, UNC, NC ST, Pitt, UVA & VT among others.
                                        This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

How high is this guy on the staff's list?

Comment

Profile Updated

RANKINGS
                                            Rivals: #33 WDE, Rating 5.7
                                            Scout: NA
                                            ESPN: #86 DE, Grade 77
                                            247: , NR WDE, Rating 90

Don't know where he is on ND's board but he's all over the recruiting service's boards from a 4 Star to Not Evaluated.

Comment

Found a 2 month old article on Okwara from couchfire.com (only in Morgantown could they be so proud {sorry OMM}).

... WVU’s offer came this past weekend just after UNC offered the youngster.

The kid is talented… and by kid I mean KID… He’s just 15 years old as he enters his senior season. ...
                                              Romeo Okwara | Couch Fire Sports | WVU Sports Blog

Comment

From TarHeelIllustrated

@HeelIllustrated
                                                Adam Powell Charlotte DE Romeo Okwara has made it to Chapel Hill Friday am
                                                10 Jun via txt

Comment

just to add to the squat #'s ....i am a bodybuilder and many people will put a lot more weight on a bar than what they can do properly...going down 3-4inches is nothing...atg is known as *** to grass which is a proper squat...most people would have to drop 1/2 the weight....however there are those freaks of nature so who knows
                                                  EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

BGIF: We in WV have been used to it so water on a duck's back. Our two lead coaches [Huggins and Holgerson] are known to be too interested in the Moonshine and partying, but they sober up for the work and terrorize most of the opposition. [a LOT of people are worrying in the BIG EAST as to what Holgerson is going to turn WVU into].

WVU is actually a lot less like "Rube City" than you think. Heck, dshans would be proud to know that my brother and assorted hundreds even got tear-gassed during the "sixties". Seemed to be in touch with the modern world way back then.

Their recruitment of Okwara [as published] dates from a bad time [rumors about Stewart vs Holgerson flying], but that's settled now, so they are a recruiting threat again with certain types of players. Holgerson's reputation as the air-circus guru will draw athletes to the place like the old Richrod Lightning Attack drew in White, Slayton, Devine et all --- and the DC [Jeff Casteel] remains, constructing one of the most unique Ds in the country. I wouldn't underestimate WVU., particularly after Holgerson gets a year in.

Comment

Okwara wants another ND look

by Pete Sampson
                                                      July 9

Okwara wants another ND look

Premium

Romeo Okwara saw enough of Notre Dame this week to know he wants to see more. The summer stop in South Bend made the linebacker pencil the Irish in for a future official visit

Comment

I'd love to see him come to ND. But we are gonna have to work hard to keep him away from Butch at UNC and Dabo at Clemson. Those 2 are terrific at recruiting NC kids. I know UNC got gut punched with what happened to them last year losing several as ineligible. But I have no idea what Dabo is selling these kids. I live only 1.5 hours from Clemson. South Carolina Gamecock fans swear on their mother's graves that Dabo is dirty, but I have not heard anything whatsoever of anything improper. Kids just love the party atmosphere in Clemson and the school doesn't press hard on the academics of their "student" athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                                          just to add to the squat #'s ....i am a bodybuilder and many people will put a lot more weight on a bar than what they can do properly...going down 3-4inches is nothing...atg is known as *** to grass which is a proper squat...most people would have to drop 1/2 the weight....however there are those freaks of nature so who knows
                                                          I grew up on the parallel or 90 degrees teaching. Knees should be at (or past) 90 degrees.

As for the fact the kid is only 15...what in world? Is he extremely smart for a NC kid or something? That definitely raises his potential bar though. He'll graduate 2 years younger than most seniors. He has lots of growing to still do. Sign 'em up.

Comment

I grew up on the parallel or 90 degrees teaching. Knees should be at (or past) 90 degrees.

As for the fact the kid is only 15...what in world? Is he extremely smart for a NC kid or something? That definitely raises his potential bar though. He'll graduate 2 years younger than most seniors. He has lots of growing to still do. Sign 'em up.
                                                            This is the proper way to do it.
                                                            90 degrees.

Comment

Mike Gandy was 16 I believe when he came to ND as a young TE. He sat out his freshman year and in time became a two year starter at G. He didn't come with the lifting rep Okwara has acquired.

Comment

Committed per ISD

Comment

Welcome Romeo!
                                                                  This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

thanks for ending the madness!!
                                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

hahah welcome

Comment

Welcome Okwara

Comment

Good deal....welcome big guy!!
                                                                          I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

Welcome Romeo! Go Irish!
                                                                            God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I think this is another round, of commits.
                                                                              Check out my blog building4thefuture.blogspot.com. Its all sports. Irish, NFL DRAFT PROSPECT PREVIEWS, Mets, Mavericks, and Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Welcome to the Irish family Mr. Okwara!

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Welcome Romeo!

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    This guy is freakin huge...will have no problem climbing to 250 + gonna be a stud in the blue and gold!!!!!!

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Welcome to the family, good choice young man.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        So many 6'4" + athletic OLBs I love it!!! The magic of a ND visit strikes yet again!!!!!

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I think we've got our OLB for this cycle.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Any idea why he is rated so low?? He has a very good offer list with the likes of Va Tech. UNC. G- Tech. Miami. and Clemson.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                                                              Any idea why he is rated so low?? He has a very good offer list with the likes of Va Tech. UNC. G- Tech. Miami. and Clemson.
                                                                                              probably lack of scouting and need to see more of him on the field...he's got great size for an OLB

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                OLB or DE?

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  i would guess olb we usually recruit wde type guys as olb, but you never know.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    seems to have great upside, good pickup!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X