Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12 WA RB Keivarae Russell (Notre Dame Signed LOI)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12 WA RB Keivarae Russell (Notre Dame Signed LOI)

All-purpose back
    Everett, Washington | Mariner HS

Ht: 6'0"
    Wt: 170 lbs
    40: 4.6 secs
    Shuttle: 4.22
    Vertical: 38 inches
    GPA: 3.8
    Class: 2012 (High School)

RANKINGS:
    Scout: RB #24
    24/7: Overall #78, APB #5
    Rivals: Overall #117, ATH #7
    ESPN: RB #25

Offers:
    Boise State
    California
    Notre Dame
    Stanford
    Washington
    Washington State
    Wyoming

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1Ww01NirRR8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Ironman8; 12-29-2011, 01:42 PM.

Hopefully he's packed on some muscle. 170 is kind of light anywhere on the football field.

Comment

For some reason he reminds me of Armando Allen...How much you want to bet, Mr. McGibblets Vbuck, he ends up at UW.

Comment

Recruiting Week In Review

Sounds like a winner to me.

Comment

Denbrock is visiting him on Monday followed by Washington State on Tuesday. Russell highlight film is great if no one has seen it.

Comment

See I like this kid at RB, not so much Jaylen Walton. I know Russell is playing weaker competition, but I like his skill set better. I would take Walton in the slot though.

Comment

i can't even begin to pronouce his first name.

Comment

Originally posted by tko View Post
                i can't even begin to pronouce his first name.
                Key-va-ray? At least that's how I have been saying it to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                  I think the dashes s/b in there or at least an apostrophe to help people out.

Comment

1. Washington , ND and Cal are contacting him the most.
                    2. Like Marshall and Treggs ND is the only school who will keep him out of the west coast.
                    3.Loves ND education and thought of early playing time
                    4.Will play in Army All American Bowl. And will play Slot.

I believe ND is recruiting him at RB.

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                      1. Washington , ND and Cal are contacting him the most.
                      2. Like Marshall and Treggs ND is the only school who will keep him out of the west coast.
                      3.Loves ND education and thought of early playing time
                      4.Will play in Army All American Bowl. And will play Slot.

I believe ND is recruiting him at RB.
                      II is reporting that he has already setup an official to ND and UW, so we are obviously high on his list. GOOD NEWS for once

Comment

No official is set up yet but we are getting a visit. IMO we are trailing Washington a little bit.

Comment

Thats why we need a visit then

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                              Kay-va-ray. The "ei" dipthong is usually pronounced as a hard "A" in my experience.

Comment

Phonetically, when two vowels stand next to one another, the initial vowel retains its sound, while the second remains silent.

Ex: bOat, chEat, clAim, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MacIrish75 View Post
                                  Phonetically, when two vowels stand next to one another, the initial vowel retains its sound, while the second remains silent.

EXCEPTION: Moms today naming their kids so as to be distinctive.

Comment

Originally posted by MacIrish75 View Post

True, but as BGIF noted, standard pronunciation doesn't necessarily apply to proper names.

This evidence is purely anecdotal, but everyone I've ever met with a "unique" name (i.e. not named Keith) pronounces the "ei" as a hard 'A'.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                      Kay-va-ray. The "ei" dipthong is usually pronounced as a hard "A" in my experience.
                                      i love a good dipthong

Comment

Rivals: #8 RB #108 Nationally
                                        Scout: #19 RB
                                        24/7: #5 ATH #42 Nationally
                                        ESPN: #26 RB
                                        Last edited by GoldenIsThyFame; 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM.

Comment

ISD Freebie

ND Among Standouts For Russell

Wednesday, 29 June 2011
                                          Christian McCollum

KeiVarae Russell may run fast and possibly talk even faster, but the 6-foot, 175-pound running back from Everett, Wash., (Mariner High School) isn’t rushing his recruitment. Instead, he’s taking his time and planning things out.

Russell intends to take all of his official visits and has previously said Notre Dame and Washington would definitely receive officials and confirmed a third with irish Sports Daily.

“I think I’m going to take one to Cal as well. I like Cal,” said Russell. “The other two are toss-ups.”

Despite having a game at 5 p.m. West Coast time on Oct. 21, Russell plans on being in South Bend for the Irish’s game against USC on Oct. 22.

“I’m probably going to take an 11:30 flight to get down there,” he said. “I’m going to check out the game, check out the campus and all of that and just get it going.”

Russell isn’t exactly sure when his trip to Washington will be, but says it’ll be his final official visit.

“Washington is going to be the last one, just because they’re the hometown team,” he said. “I’m going to give them all of the glory and see what they’ve got. I’m going to get all of the other ones out of the way first.”

Russell could also use unofficial visits if he still has more than five schools on his list this fall. Russell said the three schools he has plans to take official visits to are recruiting him the hardest, especially the Irish and the Huskies, who are sticking out at the moment.

“Those two are standing out because of academics, the success they’re for sure going to have and how I could play,” he said. “After I graduate, I could have that degree in my back pocket.”

Russell hasn’t spoken to Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly yet, but Irish West Coast recruiter Mike Denbrock and running backs coach Tim Hinton have been in touch plenty and have told Russell that their boss is very excited about him.

“I talk to them all of the time,” Russell said. “They were hella excited when I told them I wanted to go to the night game against USC. They said that’s going to be good for me to see that.”

Besides the value of a Notre Dame degree, Russell believes he’d have the opportunity to play early at Notre Dame.

“They’re looking for me to play early,” he said of the Irish. “I know a lot of teams tell recruits that, but I actually truly believe them. They keep telling me, ‘We could get anybody we want. We wouldn’t be coming at you this hard if we didn’t want you to play.’ They like the character I have. Let’s say somebody is better than me, I have a better character. They keep telling me to maintain that GPA and what I have. They see that I want to be more than just one thing. They know I’ll bring that onto the football field too. They said I’ll fit that program.

“A school like Notre Dame, they’re lacking running backs for some reason. They’ve been getting good quarterbacks and receivers. I know if I went to Notre Dame, I could play a little bit. I know if I went to UW, I‘d play slot for sure because they’ve got a lot backs, but they don’t have any big-play slots.”

Russell said a recent story on his recruitment mischaracterized his desire to play slot receiver.

“People misread what I said about I hate contact,” he said. “Come on now, I’m in a wing-T offense. I enjoy contact. I play safety and fullback in a wing-T. From my knowledge, those two positions have a lot of contact every game.

“I want to go in and play slot/running back until they get me bigger. When’s the last time you heard about a 6-foot, 175-pound running back? That’s not happening. Once they get me to 190-something, I think I’ll be able to get in the backfield and be an every-down back. To my knowledge, I don’t think I’d be an every-down back right away. You could get me in there for a few plays, put me back at the slot, throw me some passes. I’m going to be that kind of versatile guy.”

Russell isn’t waiting to get to college to get bigger, though.

“I’m getting stronger and faster,” he said. “When I go to camps, I compare very well with other top players. I’m going to be going to this big camp next week called The Opening. I want to see how I compare with the top 150 players in the nation. I think I’ll compare favorably because I’ve been getting faster, stronger and I can go against anybody with confidence.”

Russell repeatedly mentions academics when asked about the main factors in his recruitment. He understands there’s always room for improvement and wants to be challenged in all aspects, including education.

“I want to go to a big school like a Notre Dame, like a Cal, like a Stanford, like a Vanderbilt so that my critical thinking increases quite a bit throughout the four years I’m there,” he said. “Also, is the city very supportive? I want to go to a school where they support you as a person, not just as a football player.”

Russell doesn’t want to be surrounded by a negative atmosphere.

“I don’t want people that hate people,” he said. “I love rivalries, but I don’t want any trashy city around me.”

The coaches will also play a major role and Kelly, Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Tedford have helped their schools.

“How long is the coaching staff going to be there?” said Russell. “I don’t want to commit and all of a sudden the coaching staff gets fired. That’s one of the reasons I like UW. Sarkisian is going to have his job forever, for a minute.

“That’s the same with Coach Kelly. Coach Kelly has had a winning career and Coach Tedford as well. He’s had a bad last two seasons, but other than that, he’s had a winning career. That’s why those three stick out. All three of them, if they just keep doing what they’re doing, they should have their jobs for a while and they’ve been showing a lot of respect for me.”

Russell plans to announce his decision after his senior season, but before he participates in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
                                          I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

Hell... yesterday I was scared to death about our rb situation in regard this class. Now, we seem to be sitting very well with 4 of the top rb recruits in the country.

I guess that's recruiting for ya.
                                            Originally posted by koonja
                                            I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                              ISD Freebie
                                              This kid is a character. I like him.

Comment

Lol I didn't pay enough attention to this kid. I like him just from that article. I'm going to have to watch some tape again.
                                                "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8C-6WDNtghU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8C-6WDNtghU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
                                                  "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQfN9RACBg4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQfN9RACBg4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Comment

Running style still reminds me of Armando Allen.

Comment

Maybe it's the number, but I see a little Reggie Bush in his running style!!
                                                        Go Irish

Comment

I'de be psyched if we landed this kid. He is a perfect fit for our offense and his personality is a great fit for our team. Field vision doesn't get much better than his either.

Comment

Any recruit whose name Hammond will struggle to pronounce automatically gets extra points in my book.

"And TOUCHDOWN Key... Keyvay... err Russell!"
                                                            Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 06-30-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I absolutely love how the coaches tell him "we can get anyone we want".. I think in years to come this staff will be legend.

Comment

Originally posted by buirish View Post
                                                                Maybe it's the number, but I see a little Reggie Bush in his running style!!
                                                                Go Irish
                                                                That's funny because that's who I thought of when I watched him. He has a little Reggie Bush in him. He has almost the galloping running style that Reggie has. He isn't as explosive as him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetness34 View Post
                                                                  That's funny because that's who I thought of when I watched him. He has a little Reggie Bush in him. He has almost the galloping running style that Reggie has. He isn't as explosive as him.
                                                                  That's what concerns me. Reggie Bush's running style doesn't work so well when you aren't a lot quicker than everyone else. I think that's largely why RB's talent doesn't translate quite as well to the NFL--the speed of the NFL minimized the gap so much that RB couldn't be nearly as effective.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDomer View Post
                                                                    That's what concerns me. Reggie Bush's running style doesn't work so well when you aren't a lot quicker than everyone else. I think that's largely why RB's talent doesn't translate quite as well to the NFL--the speed of the NFL minimized the gap so much that RB couldn't be nearly as effective.
                                                                    If he runs like Reggie Bush I have zero concerns. Sign him up.

Comment

I don't see the Reggie Bush comparison at all. To me, his highlights are very similar to Armando in HS with maybe a little less strength and a little more top end speed.

I love this kid's take on college football and what he needs to do to earn PT. Not an entitled brat like a lot of guys.

Comment

He looked faster than 4.6 in the video I watched. Obviously his elusiveness in close quarters was impressive, but I thought he did a good job running away from people once he got into space. Obviously it is difficult to gauge how much of that is due to the relative athleticism of the competition, so without knowing much about the league he plays in it is hard to draw a definitive conclusion. But based on what I saw I don't have major concerns about his speed. I'd be more concerned with his size for the time being. All in all, I liked what I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                          I love this kid's take on college football and what he needs to do to earn PT. Not an entitled brat like a lot of guys.
                                                                          This kid is the anti-Keith Mashall. He seems to be truly evaluating his weakenesses and pro-actively trying to improve them. That is skill set in its own right. He will be successful in whatever h does.

btw, Not trying to dog The Truth, I would love for him to join our squad.... but K Marsh loves himself some K Marsh.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                            This kid is the anti-Keith Mashall. He seems to be truly evaluating his weakenesses and pro-actively trying to improve them. That is skill set in its own right. He will be successful in whatever h does.

btw, Not trying to dog The Truth, I would love for him to join our squad.... but K Marsh loves himself some K Marsh.
                                                                            Paul Pierce is playing football????
                                                                            I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              This kid might be the most down to earth recruit I have ever read about in the way that he knows his talents and what he needs to improve. His knowledge of the different colleges that are recruiting him impresses me to and shows that he does his research
                                                                              Dreaming of going to Notre Dame

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                                                                                He looked faster than 4.6 in the video I watched. Obviously his elusiveness in close quarters was impressive, but I thought he did a good job running away from people once he got into space. Obviously it is difficult to gauge how much of that is due to the relative athleticism of the competition, so without knowing much about the league he plays in it is hard to draw a definitive conclusion. But based on what I saw I don't have major concerns about his speed. I'd be more concerned with his size for the time being. All in all, I liked what I saw.
                                                                                Not so sure. I thought so as well, but I just looked him up and he has some pretty slow track times. I'm going to have to take back my comment about top end speed... I ran a much faster 200m than him lol.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  I ran a much faster 200m than him lol.
                                                                                  fast don't lie

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    [QUOTE=IrishLax;504344]I don't see the Reggie Bush comparison at all. To me, his highlights are very similar to Armando in HSQUOTE]

I think most of us compared Armando to Reggie coming out of HS, didn't we? I know I did and the announcers during Armando's first game ever said Weis compares him to "Another #5 at USC". Doesn't matter, though. I'd love to have him.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      [QUOTE=kuehnja;504398]
                                                                                      I don't see the Reggie Bush comparison at all. To me, his highlights are very similar to Armando in HSQUOTE]

I think most of us compared Armando to Reggie coming out of HS, didn't we? I know I did and the announcers during Armando's first game ever said Weis compares him to "Another #5 at USC". Doesn't matter, though. I'd love to have him.
                                                                                      Have to remember that Armando was never really the same player in terms of speed after his injury in HS. I am inclined to believe that he would have had a more dynamic impact had he not gotten hurt, although I certainly do not discount what he still did for us in his great career at ND. He was our most complete offensive skill player last year (outside of Floyd), and gave us everything he had. I for one will miss him greatly this year.
                                                                                      This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        [QUOTE=Ironman8;504406]
                                                                                        Originally posted by kuehnja View Post

Have to remember that Armando was never really the same player in terms of speed after his injury in HS. I am inclined to believe that he would have had a more dynamic impact had he not gotten hurt, although I certainly do not discount what he still did for us in his great career at ND. He was our most complete offensive skill player last year (outside of Floyd), and gave us everything he had. I for one will miss him greatly this year.
                                                                                        Yeah, I loved Armando. I believe he's our all-time leading all-purpose yardage man, right? Or maybe just from the RB position, I'm not sure.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I don't see the Reggie Bush comparison at all. To me, his highlights are very similar to Armando in HS with maybe a little less strength and a little more top end speed.

LAX I completely agree with you. I don't see Bush in his film at all. I've been saying for a while now that this kid looks exactly like Allen.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            And what happened to the discussion about who is the best all purpose player in NCAA in recent memory? Where did that get moved to or did it get deleted?

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              If Allen reminded everyone of Reggie Bush and this kid reminds everyone of Allen, doesn't he too, resemble Bush? Call me crazy but I don't see the logic, lol.
                                                                                              Last edited by kuehnja; 06-30-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                If Allen reminded everyone of Reggie Bush, and this kid reminds everyone of Allen, doesn't he resemble Bush, too? Call me crazy but I don't see the difference, lol.
                                                                                                I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe they mean that he reminds them of the post-injury (the one he got in hs) Armando.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  If Allen reminded everyone of Reggie Bush and this kid reminds everyone of Allen, doesn't he too, resemble Bush? Call me crazy but I don't see the logic, lol.

in all honesty Reggie Bush is one of a kind in high school.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    IDK guys...Armando's high school tape was good, but it wasn't overly impressive. Bush was on a totally different level. I can't really see the High School comparison between Allen and Bush. But, I def see the comparison between Allen and Russell.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X